Violence in video games

Secura

I believe that the video above brings up many good points about why violence is so prominent in video games today, it is not because it is trying to get kids to kill each other or teach them bad morals or ethics; it exists simply because it's much easier to replicate murder or mayhem rather than a deep dramatical conversation.

Two of the most emotional games of all time ICO and Shadow of the Colossus didn't have enough text to fill three pieces of A4 paper, and the most contact the player had with the only other character in the was to hold their hand or pick them up; this has just the same amount of physical contact as both of the two games above have with their main character.

The primary reason that you'd most probably develop more of a relationship with Yorda then you ever would with Roach and Ghost is because they're elite soldiers, they're always on battlefields surrounded by explosions and gunfire, so you're never going to see them outside of their roles as soldiers, it's a stone cold fact that they never show anything about themselves other then being the bad asses that can take a on an entire army and not even brake a sweat.

This is different in the Ico universe where the only bond you have in this cold alone universe is a simply holding one another's hand, when you fight these black blobs that try to take your friend away from you your fighting to preserve that simplest of comforts. COD doesn't have that relationship; When all you have to defend someone with is a wooden stick you're going to feel far more helpless and fight a lot harder then if you've got a grenade launcher and are mowing down hundreds of faceless soldiers.

Now here's a game that took a big risk, the whole game depends on your choices and your conversations and if you screw up people will die, I mean one of the games tag lines was that all the characters that you'll take control during your time playing can die.

Yet it forced conversation on players and made them care for characters because of the fact that you felt sorry for them; Heavy Rains biggest success was the fact it managed to guilt trip the players into caring for the characters, everything from the sunny environment of a shopping mall to how a red balloon floated away gently into the air had a profound effect on players psychological state.

It shows the change from a happy perfect life to living in shabby council house with the guilt constantly being piled on so much so, that the player can actually find a home video of their dead son playing in the garden with his brother while talking about what he wanted to be when he grew up and flashing back to the protagonist face. The players complete helplessness in each of these situations forces further guilt upon them and when you try to run away you get more guilt piled on your shoulders; allow to explain, you as the player feel uncomfortable next to your virtual son due to how the game sets itself up, so you try to leave the room he's in as much as possible the best way to do this is to head up stairs. Big Mistake. The game seems to offer you some semblance of leniency as it allows you to turn on a television in your upstairs office, this starts the video explained above.

Why doesn't every game do this? Because every game can't the words : kill, stab, shoot etcetera, etcetera, etcetera seem to have developed entirely different meanings in the world of virtual reality then in real life. So in closing violence in video games isn't there because developers are trying to turn your kids into killing machines like this guy

user posted image

but simply because it's the easiest way for us as gamers to interact with our enviroment, imagine if for example GTA IV was like an adventure story book. You've just shot a cop now do you want to shoot the cars gas tank or run into the subway? It just doesn't work.

So what our your views on violence in video games, do you believe that it's there simply to change our children into an army of mindless drones who want to kill people and hijack cars? Liberals agenda, or just a feature that developers have no choice but to implement for the success of their game.

Edited by Lightning Strike

Post is too full of personal opinions for me so I can hardly see your point.

There are a million video games that are successful without violence.

I think its because video games have always been, for the most part, a male hobby. Males like war, guns, explosions, fighting, ect. So that is why violence exists in video games.

Algonquin Bridge

imagine if for example GTA IV was like an adventure story book. You've just shot a cop now do you want to shoot the cars gas tank or run into the subway? It just  doesn't work.

I disagree. If pulled off well, GTA IV could be an immense Text Adventure, especially if it messed with the player like the HHG2G one did.

GRAND THEFT AUTO: IV

© 2008 - ROCKSTAR GAMES

You are Niko Bellic, fresh off the boat in the thriving metropolis that is Liberty City.

Your cousin, Roman Bellic, is waiting beside his car for you. He smiles and waves.

"My cousin! I'm so glad you're here! Come on, why don't we head to my apartment and catch up?"

You are standing on the dock.

>escape from roman

Nope. No time for family reunions. And to be honest, you never really liked your wacky, slightly-plump cousin that much. The quickest way for you to escape is by sea, so you jump into the Humboldt River. You hit your head on a shopping cart dumped by a tramp, fall unconscious and drown.

***YOU HAVE DIED***

Restart, Restore or Exit?

Finn 7 five 11

I think its because video games have always been, for the most part, a male hobby. Males like war, guns, explosions, fighting, ect. So that is why violence exists in video games.

Not to mention males are supressed in society "fighting is wrong" yada yada when its hardwired to fight for our territory and this is just a good release.

Just killing people gets boring though, that's why they add all the rewards like in bold red letters " double kill, backstabber, paynack, avenger".

Positive reinforcement is God damn addictive, look at pokemon.

Sorry for spelling errors, on my phone and fixing errors is difficult.

Edited by finn4life

Not to mention males are supressed in society "fighting is wrong" yada yada when its hardwired to fight for our territoryand this is just a good released.

That is a relatively new phenomenon pushed primarily, I think, by liberal influences. People are becoming more androgynous, or at least the males are, in order to suppress their violent instincts. This is partly my opinion and I have no political preferences in case that liberal statement insinuates conservatism on my part. I am neither.

Yup. This simple post sums it perfectly