I just hope it won't use the RAGE engine

DlZZEE

Do you wan't GTA V to use the RAGE engine  

446 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wan't GTA V to use the RAGE engine

• Yes, It's epic
    • No, we don't a life simulation game

Buffalo Soldier
I am just curious here. Some of you guys feel that the physics of SR 3 are better than those of GTA IV, correct?

No one mentioned that silly game.

Capricornus
I am just curious here. Some of you guys feel that the physics of SR 3 are better than those of GTA IV, correct?

No one mentioned that silly game.

LMFAO. Indeed, but the physics used in that "silly game" have been mentioned.

caprisig.jpg

SmoothGetaway
... Only thing that needs to be tuned is that car handling needs to be modified a bit so they don't spin out quite as much.

Ok yeah I snipped you. But I've been here for a while now and this "realism" vs "fun" debate always seems to revolve around a couple things driving being one of them. Quite frankly I'm puzzled that people preferred the driving in the III series over what we have now in IV. I can still remember my first experience with the controls in IV and yeah they were DIFFERENT. I crashed a lot.

However, if player is spinning out cars in GTAIV its because player is driving them improperly. Because I can make just about any vehicle in that game haul ass and power slide around most corners in GTAIV. Spinning out a car in the game is caused by applying too much throttle...just like actual driving.

I hope the driving controls stay the same but get another improvement!

ThEtRuThSANANDREAS69
dozingoff.gif Really getting tired of people using the term 'rag doll physics' as dysphemism to disparage the RAGE engine.  'Rag doll' physics is realistic physics.

If you fall out of a moving car in the real world, you are going to fall down and roll some on the ground. You're not going to toss through the air for ten seconds, being thrown up again and whatnot. Maybe you people have been playing IV for so long that you've gotten used to it, but real world objects don't behave like that, they are way too heavy for that. Yeah Euphoria is realistic in the sense that it models real physics, and I like that, but the 'gravity' slider is set way too low in IV.

idk how many times youve fallen out of a 100 mph car, you sure talk like you know, but look it up. youre wrong. you think a 150lb+ person going even 40 wont tumble around? youre nuts! and its not like for 10 seconds you over-exaggerating IV hater. its almost perfect and V will make it even closer to perfect. stfu with the "Gravity" bullsh*t. jump off a building in IV- You fall pretty f*ckin fast. were not too used to IV, youre too used to unrealistic renderware or whatever the f*ck you play.

SanAndreasII
dozingoff.gif Really getting tired of people using the term 'rag doll physics' as dysphemism to disparage the RAGE engine.  'Rag doll' physics is realistic physics.

If you fall out of a moving car in the real world, you are going to fall down and roll some on the ground. You're not going to toss through the air for ten seconds, being thrown up again and whatnot. Maybe you people have been playing IV for so long that you've gotten used to it, but real world objects don't behave like that, they are way too heavy for that. Yeah Euphoria is realistic in the sense that it models real physics, and I like that, but the 'gravity' slider is set way too low in IV.

idk how many times youve fallen out of a 100 mph car, you sure talk like you know, but look it up. youre wrong. you think a 150lb+ person going even 40 wont tumble around? youre nuts! and its not like for 10 seconds you over-exaggerating IV hater. its almost perfect and V will make it even closer to perfect. stfu with the "Gravity" bullsh*t. jump off a building in IV- You fall pretty f*ckin fast. were not too used to IV, youre too used to unrealistic renderware or whatever the f*ck you play.

So gravity was too low in previous titles?

That would be hella stupid for R* to just not use Rage Engine even though they polished the Engine to its full potential now

thebestgameever

Cars spin out in IV?

Hahahahahhaaha, i would LOVE to see your play Mafia 2 with the simulation physics for cars.

Not one was it difficult to spin out of control in IV, the cars has way too much grip IMO and had traction control on( making it kinda difficult to spin out)

They need to be more loose, they need to be a little more like real life IMO, just makes driving ( main point in GTA) much more enjoyable, unless you are incapable of learning how to play a game...

Death2Drugs

LOL NO. However, when it comes to (ragdoll) physics, Saints Row beats San Andreas, period. Even though it was cheesy, it was a lot more realistic than a ped falling on the ground just static. A LOT BETTER.

ThEtRuThSANANDREAS69

No, gravity has never been an issue in GTA.

gravity in red dead was screwed up. When you jumped off a cliff he fell so slowly and when he hit the ground it was like a feather landing.

It seems to me this debate about how the driving/physics in the game are bad or horrible is only a complaint made by members of this forum that are too young to or haven't aquired a driver's license yet, and if that assuption is incorrect, they just lack all around "driving know-how". I could be wrong.

IMHO, i think the driving physics were damn NEAR perfect. At the time of IV's release, i had a drives license, owned a vehicle, and had been a experienced driver for about 5 years. My first reaction to the new mechanics was 'holy sh*tzu! Its like driving IRL almost', meaning real life in the sense that turning required depression of the accelerator and "gassing " during the apex. I also noticed that some cars had different drive trains. Some were AWD, others were RWD or FWD really assuring me that R* at the time was trying to implement every aspect of the new physics along with new driving mechanics. After some time toying around (no more than 2-3 hours i assure you) i was FULLY used to the driving and already had that sense of "mastering" it like IRL. Even in times of error i was more at myself more than the game. I'd feel like shame on me because i knew driving at 50mph and turning would result in an accident of sorts, that and when i do happen to pull off that sweet high-speed movie turn, it feels that much more satisfying knowing i pushed the right button combo that i been practicing than having the canned animation save me every time.

All i did was apply my real world driving methods into how i control the driving aspect of the game and it greatly improved my experience. Hell, even of i put down EFLC for moons at a time, i still dont have this supposedly steep learning curve. Within minutes i'm right back where i left off. After all this a mature rated game, and most 18+ people in my region know how to drive

I do how ever agree that traction and RPM/torque could use adjustments but the overall physics currently, are more than great.

Edited by JStarr31

ThEtRuThSANANDREAS69

gravity in red dead was screwed up. When you jumped off a cliff he fell so slowly and when he hit the ground it was like a feather landing.

I cant remember falling in that game. But oyou agree that GTA has been good simulating falling out of cars/bulidings/helicopters?

I cant remember falling in that game. But oyou agree that GTA has been good simulating falling out of cars/bulidings/helicopters?

Agreed....all they need to fix is that "fetal position" animation the protag curls up into when falling with no parachute. Not realistic from some of the news footage ive seen of sky dives gone wrong, slip and falls off buildings and suicide jumps

Ispintechno

Actually if you move that gravity slider up, you become heavier and the laws surrounding inertia would accurately predict that there would be more energy involved and you would go even farther, for longer.

Check out some vids of racing accidents, it looks just like GTAIV. Its horrendous and violent stuff.

thebestgameever
It seems to me this debate about how the driving/physics in the game are bad or horrible is only a complaint made by members of this forum that are too young to or haven't aquired a driver's license yet, and if that assuption is incorrect, they just lack all around "driving know-how". I could be wrong.

IMHO, i think the driving physics were damn NEAR perfect. At the time of IV's release, i had a drives license, owned a vehicle, and had been a experienced driver for about 5 years. My first reaction to the new mechanics was 'holy sh*tzu! Its like driving IRL almost', meaning real life in the sense that turning required depression of the accelerator and "gassing " during the apex. I also noticed that some cars had different drive trains. Some were AWD, others were RWD or FWD really assuring me that R* at the time was trying to implement every aspect of the new physics along with new driving mechanics. After some time toying around (no more than 2-3 hours i assure you) i was FULLY used to the driving and already had that sense of "mastering" it like IRL. Even in times of error i was more at myself more than the game. I'd feel like shame on me because i knew driving at 50mph and turning would result in an accident of sorts, that and when i do happen to pull off that sweet high-speed movie turn, it feels that much more satisfying knowing i pushed the right button combo that i been practicing than having the canned animation save me every time.

All i did was apply my real world driving methods into how i control the driving aspect of the game and it greatly improved my experience. Hell, even of i put down EFLC for moons at a time, i still dont have this supposedly steep learning curve. Within minutes i'm right back where i left off. After all this a mature rated game, and most 18+ people in my region know how to drive

I do how ever agree that traction and RPM/torque could use adjustments but the overall physics currently, are more than great.

Agree with everything you said, the driving physics made the game a success for me, i would even go as far as to say that i would prefer realistic car physics( or like IV) for V than have SR style car physics and planes and a large map!

I have probably spent more time driving cars in IV alone than i have playing saints row 2, 3 and just cause 2 all put together!!! Just trying to master the vehicles and driving around and making sure i am concentrating on how i turn and the speed i am going at is what i love about the game. If V has more arcade physics and cars like SR3 then i will without a doubt play the game for less than half of how much i played IV, even with SA like features.

With a better map it would have been perfect in V.

Its hard to really say how much better the game is with the current physics, those who want it to be more like SA or SR really infuriate me!

... Only thing that needs to be tuned is that car handling needs to be modified a bit so they don't spin out quite as much.

Ok yeah I snipped you. But I've been here for a while now and this "realism" vs "fun" debate always seems to revolve around a couple things driving being one of them. Quite frankly I'm puzzled that people preferred the driving in the III series over what we have now in IV. I can still remember my first experience with the controls in IV and yeah they were DIFFERENT. I crashed a lot.

However, if player is spinning out cars in GTAIV its because player is driving them improperly. Because I can make just about any vehicle in that game haul ass and power slide around most corners in GTAIV. Spinning out a car in the game is caused by applying too much throttle...just like actual driving.

I hope the driving controls stay the same but get another improvement!

There was a video I saw of some guy who got knocked off his motorcycle during a race, going 100-130, and flew/slid 300 feet. He was actually alright though.

SanAndreasII

Cars spin out in IV?

Hahahahahhaaha, i would LOVE to see your play Mafia 2 with the simulation physics for cars.

Not one was it difficult to spin out of control in IV, the cars has way too much grip IMO and had traction control on( making it kinda difficult to spin out)

They need to be more loose, they need to be a little more like real life IMO, just makes driving ( main point in GTA) much more enjoyable, unless you are incapable of learning how to play a game...

Idk, maybe we arent even talking about the same game because its different in the console version. But in the PC version cars would tip over at 20 mph as if they were made out of cardboard, or do like a 720 degree spin on their own axis. They had no weight and no grip, it was unreal. Not to mention these jumps like there is no gravity. I would really like to understand why people think thats realistic.

Cars spin out in IV?

Idk, maybe we arent even talking about the same game because its different in the console version. But in the PC version cars would tip over at 20 mph as if they were made out of cardboard, or do like a 720 degree spin on their own axis. They had no weight and no grip, it was unreal. Not to mention these jumps like there is no gravity. I would really like to understand why people think thats realistic.

No. I find the cars fine in the PC version. I'm really not sure from where people are getting these accounts of bizarre gripless handling. For me the cars seem realistic. They have weight. They grip around corners as much as I expect. Also gravity is just fine too.

I mean, sure, they don't grip as well as cars in VC or SA. But cars in those games had too much grip. One could fling them around corners at excessive speeds as though they were on rails. They were unrealistic. But the with slightly cartoonish nature of VC and SA, one could accept such discrepancies.

Is it just that we have differing views of how we think GTA:IV should be working? Or do certain installations exhibit different qualities of physics?

SanAndreasII

I never played the console version, but we probably have differing views. I am used to III era games, so when IV came along it felt like some underwater spongebob world where everything floats. Youre right that in SA cars were overly easy to handle at high speeds. Although I also think its undeniable that gravity is set too low in IV. I mean, no car jumps that far up into the air because of some small ramp. Its very hard to tip a car over in the real world, but in IV cars would tip over if you went around a corner at low speeds. It was really kind of hard to keep cars on their wheels.

thebestgameever
I never played the console version, but we probably have differing views. I am used to III era games, so when IV came along it felt like some underwater spongebob world where everything floats. Youre right that in SA cars were overly easy to handle at high speeds. Although I also think its undeniable that gravity is set too low in IV. I mean, no car jumps that far up into the air because of some small ramp. Its very hard to tip a car over in the real world, but in IV cars would tip over if you went around a corner at low speeds. It was really kind of hard to keep cars on their wheels.

Ive played both the console and PC version. I have never ever flipped a car over while going around a corner, maybe you have edited the handling files?

The cars may slide a little but that is expected, its realistic. Going too fast and truing hard into a corner will result in you sliding.

I think the length and hight of jumps are good for the game, makes it fun to actually do stunts. Are they realistic? I do not know as i never have hit a ramp at around 100 MPH but you do see them in movies( i know they are fake in movies) but again, its fun seeing the car fly a few metres in the air.

If YOUR GOING VERY FAST and the road in front of you goes steeply up/down then you obviously gonna get some air.

What i do know is that in real life is that cars have less grip than what is present in IV.

Times when i have flipped over: When i hit the curb or when i go very fast over those roads that have some bump on them, causing you to loose control and flip over ( i hope they fix that)