I just hope it won't use the RAGE engine

DlZZEE

Do you wan't GTA V to use the RAGE engine  

446 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wan't GTA V to use the RAGE engine

• Yes, It's epic
    • No, we don't a life simulation game

The only thing I absolutwly hated in IV was how you would stumble uncontrolably for extended periods of time. Just fall and get it over with or regain your damn balance! Talk about frustrating when a car BARELY taps you, but then you stumble for ten feet into another car and it goes on for even longer. I trust that they will have remedied this though.

This is a valid point, but that does'nt mean we should go back to ridiculous, unrealistic physics of games from a previous era as some have suggested. GTAIV was based on a very early version of RAGE. RAGE has improved dramatically since then, just like ALL new technical advancements do. The older GTA games had unintentionally hilarious physics that have NOT aged well. San Andreas was the best game ever made, in my opinion, but it certainly was'nt because of the physics, or graphics. I could only imagine what San Andreas would have been like with GTAIV's RAGE engine and graphics. I'm hoping GTAV comes close to showing exactly what that would be like.

fusionhunter

I absolutely love the rag doll physics! It's so fun.

If it didn't use the RAGE engine I'd be fairly disappointed.

The only thing I absolutwly hated in IV was how you would stumble uncontrolably for extended periods of time. Just fall and get it over with or regain your damn balance! Talk about frustrating when a car BARELY taps you, but then you stumble for ten feet into another car and it goes on for even longer. I trust that they will have remedied this though.

This is a valid point, but that does'nt mean we should go back to ridiculous, unrealistic physics of games from a previous era as some have suggested. GTAIV was based on a very early version of RAGE. RAGE has improved dramatically since then, just like ALL new technical advancements do. The older GTA games had unintentionally hilarious physics that have NOT aged well. San Andreas was the best game ever made, in my opinion, but it certainly was'nt because of the physics, or graphics. I could only imagine what San Andreas would have been like with GTAIV's RAGE engine and graphics. I'm hoping GTAV comes close to showing exactly what that would be like.

I'm not at all saying the physics engine shoupd be changed. Just that I feel that the quirks will probably be gone and we will have an amazing game. R* isn't about to release a shatty game, they aren't as stupid as the people that think RAGE is to blame for some of the (which are all very minor) shortcomings of GTA IV.

The ragdolls in this and RDR are the best i have ever seen. Having characters actually REACT realistically to bullets, getting hit, punched etc... is the most satisfying thing about the game.

But it's not realistic at all to have people fly around as if they had no weight. In the real world, if you fall out of a moving car it's blam and you are lying there, maybe you tip over once but you don't keep falling for like 20 seconds, rolling and twisting around. I dislike it because it's unrealistic.

But I'm sure they could tweak the stats somewhat to add some gravity.

Who cares if it's unrealistic? It makes the game fun.

Just using a common example..Once you completed GTA IV what was there to do? not very much..Because of the 'realism'

in GTA:SA it wasnt so realistic but..once you completed it you still had a hella lot left to do.

grope_4_that_date

The RAGE engine will be amazing. I can't wait for people to see it. GTA5 will be like GTA4 and San Andreas combined. (as San Andreas mastered the gameplay, while GTA4 mastered the physics.)

The RAGE engine will be amazing. I can't wait for people to see it. GTA5 will be like GTA4 and San Andreas combined. (as San Andreas mastered the gameplay, while GTA4 mastered the physics.)

Exactly.

btw, can someone explain me the difference between the RAGE engine and the Euphoria engine?

I know nothing about these things, and I have no idea what they have in common or what they do.

mrmojo_prime

GTA isn't suppose to be a ragdoll physics based game. Back when I played IV for the first time I was impressed by It's epic sense to it, but after hours of gameplay I noticed that the supposed to be "realistic" engine took something else from the franchise. The engine which suppose to be limitless is actually even more limited than the renderware is. Obviously by uniqueness rage wins no doubt but It totally swallows the arcade-ish feeling from the game.  My wish is why won't they make the game with a bit realism, but not too much. Why won't make an engine which would have both arcade-ish feeling and some realism. That would keep the true GTA spirit. Now I know that the most people will disagree with me but realism is getting pretty common in these days and it isn't that surprising anymore. Aren't games suppose to be fun?

Know you Argument before you start it friend.

Rage

Stands for Rockstar Advanced Game Engine (rage) Rockstar games vary own in house game engine developed by Rockstar San Diego to facilitate game development on windows and current gen console.

Rage link

Euphoria

Euphoria is the game animation engine created by NaturalMotion that has been integrated into the Rage engine but is not strictly part of, Euphoria animates the character's in IV giving them the ragdoll physics you don't like

Euphoria link

Bullet

Bullet is also used by Rockstar in IV to handle the other in game physics it is also integrated into the Rage engine and I think another thing that disatisfies you about GTA IV.

Bullet link

So really your gripe should be with Euphoria and Bullet, middleware use by Rockstar and not Rage it's self.

RenderWare

Even if rockstar where to go back to the old RenderWare engine which you champion, that was used in GTA SA they cannot.... well more likely they will not as the RenderWare game engine is made by Criterion Games now owned by those fat cats EA bloody games. Meaning Rockstar would pay EA royalties to use the RenderWare engine.

RenderWare link

I hope this gives you a little more insight into the matter and your case and helps you to give your argument more of a solid basis.

Cherrs

Edited by mrmojo_prime

By posting something idiotic I wager, He's representing a poorly made post habit on their behalf! hahaha

I'd say RAGE and Euphoria will still be in effect till we move to the new hardware, We can rest easy that MS is not going to showcase Xbox neXt any time soon. Last year, round the holiday they sold a record amount of 360s, this just enforces the idea to stick to the platform that's out there and well established, working to bring more Kinects to every household instead

Exactly.

btw, can someone explain me the difference between the RAGE engine and the Euphoria engine?

I know nothing about these things, and I have no idea what they have in common or what they do.

RAGE is graphics and general gameplay. Euphoria is physics and how people and things react to other people or things.

Everyone keeps blaming the wrong thing even when they are wrong about the blame anyway.

Racecarlock

What the hell are you smoking? I have a lot of criticism for IV, but one thing I definitely can't say about it is that the physics sucked. Because they didn't suck. They were a big improvement in every area. Only thing that needs to be tuned is that car handling needs to be modified a bit so they don't spin out quite as much.

Getting used to the cars was a challenge, and the slow walking pace, notice in RDR running, your characters do pant, but they don't get exhausted! NICE

Driving in GTA IV was great, it only needs slight improvements. Like much less body roll and being able to drift around a corner instead of the car seemingly losing power forcing you to regain traction. This was very frustrating while trying to chase someone down, sliding around a corner, only to be slowed down by this inconvenience. Motorcycles on the other hand, I didn't really enjoy driving and feel like they could use a HUGE improvement.

GTA isn't suppose to be a ragdoll physics based game. Back when I played IV for the first time I was impressed by It's epic sense to it, but after hours of gameplay I noticed that the supposed to be "realistic" engine took something else from the franchise. The engine which suppose to be limitless is actually even more limited than the renderware is. Obviously by uniqueness rage wins no doubt but It totally swallows the arcade-ish feeling from the game.  My wish is why won't they make the game with a bit realism, but not too much. Why won't make an engine which would have both arcade-ish feeling and some realism. That would keep the true GTA spirit. Now I know that the most people will disagree with me but realism is getting pretty common in these days and it isn't that surprising anymore. Aren't games suppose to be fun?

I don't get your logic.

This is the sort of realism that adds to the fun. Isn't it more entertaining seeing how characters flinch and physically react to your bullets, or an explosion, or a car running into them? Otherwise, how is watching a sh*t canned animation, seeing them flattened to the floor the same way every time more entertaining?

That's like saying you want sh*t graphics because better graphics somehow take the fun away.

Is that it? That you're just somewhat nostalgic over the classic GTA feel?

mrmojo_prime

It was a challenge to get us to the driving physics in IV, for V I hope Rockstar implement different handling characteristics for different vehicles or atleast make the differences more noticeable.

normal cars would have adequate handling capability's but get harder to handle the faster you push it.

classic muscle cars and older cars would have the most body roll out of all cars making you adapt to the characteristics the more powerful ones prone to burn outs and going light on steering if you pop a wheelie.

tuners/Imports should be the the vehicles more suited to drifting but not exclusively and a high top speed l.

sports cars and police cruisers should be fast have good handling through most of their speed range with little body roll and shaper responses.

super cars should for the most part be like a stallion unleashed mad crazy road hungry maniacs bar the ones set up for road handling or using AWD.

AWD in general should have some of the best handling.

FWD more prone to kick their tail out as they drag their ass around.

RWD being best a weelies

trucks and other large vehicle should have more body or feel more top heavy and have more weight transference as you stop.

I think the physics engine that handles vehicles could handle all of the above.

Also, to anyone who has RDR, how are the movements in it?

Faster and more responsive than GTA IV

Edited by Gtaghost22

Driving in GTA IV was great, it only needs slight improvements. Like much less body roll and being able to drift around a corner instead of the car seemingly losing power forcing you to regain traction. This was very frustrating while trying to chase someone down, sliding around a corner, only to be slowed down by this inconvenience. Motorcycles on the other hand, I didn't really enjoy driving and feel like they could use a HUGE improvement.

Agree, i like driving in GTA IV i hope its lightly improved in GTA V though

Am I the only person hoping for Yusuf Amir to return in V?

No, you are not the only one, i want him to return in GTA V too. Awesome character

ThEtRuThSANANDREAS69

Know you Argument before you start it friend.

Rage

Stands for Rockstar Advanced Game Engine (rage) Rockstar games vary own in house game engine developed by Rockstar San Diego to facilitate game development on windows and current gen console.

Rage link

Euphoria

Euphoria is the game animation engine created by NaturalMotion that has been integrated into the Rage engine but is not strictly part of, Euphoria animates the character's in IV giving them the ragdoll physics you don't like

Euphoria link

Bullet

Bullet is also used by Rockstar in IV to handle the other in game physics it is also integrated into the Rage engine and I think another thing that disatisfies you about GTA IV.

Bullet link

So really your gripe should be with Euphoria and Bullet, middleware use by Rockstar and not Rage it's self.

RenderWare

Even if rockstar where to go back to the old RenderWare engine which you champion, that was used in GTA SA they cannot.... well more likely they will not as the RenderWare game engine is made by Criterion Games now owned by those fat cats EA bloody games. Meaning Rockstar would pay EA royalties to use the RenderWare engine.

RenderWare link

I hope this gives you a little more insight into the matter and your case and helps you to give your argument more of a solid basis.

Cherrs

Thanks man colgate.gif

Harwood Butch3r
Anyone who thinks GTA should lose RAGE needs their f*cking head examined. Even with less features and a smaller map, IV was the best GTA simply because of RAGE's vast superiority over Renderware. The retard above that said VC had better gameplay than IV must be slow in the head. You can't even climb walls in VC, or do a driveby without going into that retarded side-view mode. So many nostalgic idiots on this forum.

Agreed. I love VC, but its general gameplay is vastly inferior to GTA IV's. Some people just live in denial I guess.

SanAndreasII

You people, just because they're using Euphoria physics doesn't have to mean that the game has to have no gravity. It's not like the only alternative to Renderware is ragdoll moon physics. They can still use modern physics, and just tweak it to make it realistic.

The RAGE engine is just a stunning and amazing Engine period.

user posted image

Racecarlock

One of the reasons I still can't put EFLC down to this very day is because of the physics engine. Ragdoll physics are awesome, object physics are awsome, and vehicle physics are better than ever. I liked san andreas because of the variety and exploration factor plus craziness potential. Not because the pedestrians did canned animations when shot.

IBrahemoX1X
I love the vehicle handling in GTA IV. It's perfect smile.gif

it was good but it needed , little more work , it will be perfect IN GTAV .

thebestgameever

Seeing how Niko reacts to getting hit by car >>>>> than lots of activities

One never gets old and boring, the other does.

Triple Vacuum Seal

dozingoff.gif Really getting tired of people using the term 'rag doll physics' as a dysphemism to disparage the RAGE engine. 'Rag doll' physics is realistic physics.

-When you flee from the cops at 100+mph and decide to jump out of the car, tumbling for several hundred feet is a part of life.

-When an RPG explodes after hitting a car adjacent from where you are standing, you tumble to the side from the concussion of the blast

Less realism may cater to that small niche of fans but will hurt the game as a whole. So there is no need to "hope it won't use the RAGE engine." That's retarded.

Edited by canttakemyid

SanAndreasII
dozingoff.gif Really getting tired of people using the term 'rag doll physics' as dysphemism to disparage the RAGE engine. 'Rag doll' physics is realistic physics.

If you fall out of a moving car in the real world, you are going to fall down and roll some on the ground. You're not going to toss through the air for ten seconds, being thrown up again and whatnot. Maybe you people have been playing IV for so long that you've gotten used to it, but real world objects don't behave like that, they are way too heavy for that. Yeah Euphoria is realistic in the sense that it models real physics, and I like that, but the 'gravity' slider is set way too low in IV.

Capricornus

I am just curious here. Some of you guys feel that the physics of SR 3 are better than those of GTA IV, correct?

caprisig.jpg