Gameinformer and GTAV

Hurrikane

So here we have an interesting scenario developing in the world of GTA. As already exhausted on the forums on the news that R* stated that they will have news in a "few months". It kinda makes sense that a world exclusive is around the corner for game informer. As will be outlined below, the announcement of a world exclusive probably will come to the newswire and editor in chief of game informer first, with a tease of some sorts.

Now as game informer announcements of their covers are usually a month ahead of time.

AC3 was the April issue and subscribers received their issues beginning of march. Game informer's Mcnamara http://twitter.com/#!/gi_andymc teased on twitter, end of February about a big reveal a day or so before the announcement.

Now onto GTA history with game informer.

Game informer World exclusive with Vice also.

http://www.gta4.net/news/3857/gta4-world-p...es-subscribers/

GTA San Andreas world exclusive June 2004 issue, subscribers get there copies in the beginning of the month.

http://www.gtagaming.com/gtagaming/news/archive.php?p=200419

GTA IV May issue

March 31, 2007 Announcement by gaming sites, give or take a couple days or even a tease a week before nowadays with twitter that Andy Mcnamara, editor in chief will announce it on his twitter that there will be a big reveal.

http://www.destructoid.com/game-informer-g...sue-30701.phtml

January issue reveals an interview with Dan Houser, no other gaming company had access to talk to him. So obviously in January someone was at the studious of R* interviewing Houser, and also I am sure getting info on GTAV for the world exclusive, i guess it could have been a phone interview also but think that at this time it would have been a staff member working on the world exclusive for V in game informer.

user posted image

As we all are awaiting GTA info, I can see this as the best way to reveal a world exclusive for V and with no interference of Max Payne, and as has been done previously with the rest of the GTA's this would mean a fall release. As IV was revealed in May 2007, but then delayed till April 08.

Think about it we have a trailer already, we are not getting another trailer in April or May, as I believe fans will like a nice 10 page article with some nice details and features, then a trailer end of June etc. Plus i am sure a nice world exclusive makes R* some nice money along the way. This is a great marketing idea imo and am sure will happen.

So what is your take if the May cover is V we are a mere couple weeks away from the announcement then people will be getting their issues in First week of April, or if its June issue we will get our issues first week in May.

What are your Thoughts?Strategies?Suggestions?Discuss?

You're probably right Hurrikane.

I still think Rockstar will go for an October 2012 Release, and that, following the traditional format, will most probably have the Game Informer reveal in June (hopefully released in May!) and have a trailer at the end of June.

EDIT:

Whats interesting is that, as Rockstar USUALLY have the reveal in May or June, we can expect to see the issue all over these forums in April or May - not too far away really...

Edited by PaddsterG2k3

thanks for taking the time to read it, I am wondering if a may or june release would be better or really doesn't matter. Considering that they have always been exclusive to Game informer its a pretty safe bet. If its the june issue, which we get early may am wondering if that is any of a conflict at all with Payne. Probably not but just for discussion purposes

Furthermore, after the GI issue, suddenly we'll be inundated with magazines from all over the world with articles on GTA V - each usually with a tiny new bit of info.

The big GTA V revelation through Game Informer is definitely around the corner. If it's not May issue, then it would be June issue. July issue is too far to wait for. With recent hints from Rockstar about GTA V, it seems that we wouldn't wait two additional months to get new info.

January issue reveals an interview with Dan Houser, no other gaming company had access to talk to him. So obviously in January someone was at the studious of R* interviewing Houser, and also I am sure getting info on GTAV for the world exclusive, i guess it could have been a phone interview also but think that at this time it would have been a staff member working on the world exclusive for V in game informer.

Like you've outlined GI's release schedule with issues, that interview must have been conducted the year before (in fact, it came out early December). Dan conducted a lot of interviews during the backend of 2011 with publications from around the world, so it wasn't that unique.

It most likely wasn't a call, because as you can see in your scan, GI was given a preview of Max Payne 3. I highly doubt any previews were given for GTAV at the same time for a future issue months into the future. It would make much more sense to dedicate time for GTAV when that time comes, and when no doubt the game would be much further into development.

There's no doubt in my mind that GI will be given the world exclusive, and it would be mutually beneficial for both parties to promote as early as possible when that time comes. I just think Rockstar is too focused and involved right now with what they call is their "biggest and boldest" marketing effort for a game yet (Max Payne 3's launch)... so we're still at least 2-3 months away.

The big GTA V revelation through Game Informer is definitely around the corner. If it's not May issue, then it would be June issue. July issue is too far to wait for. With recent hints from Rockstar about GTA V, it seems that we wouldn't wait two additional months to get new info.

You are a smart man and think alike on this topic. With the recent comments "few months" from Rock, it will be 2 months middle of April, however info at the end of March would have been a month and half, from the "few months" which could also suffice and also take a grain of salt with the "few months" comment.

Great thread man!

Im not the sort of person to analyse every detail so i dont know much else than what is said on these forums, which is ironically alot.

I think you are right...If they continue the Game Informer trend, the reveal must be around the corner as for me, a 2012 release is imminent, as i have predicted 24th October.

Personally, i reckon we will get a June cover reveal, right after MP3, so we may here news early May? either way, just like the rest of you..Im very excited!

Good thread. cookie.gif

Like you've outlined GI's release schedule with issues, that interview must have been conducted the year before (in fact, it came out early December). Dan conducted a lot of interviews during the backend of 2011 with publications from around the world, so it wasn't that unique.

It most likely wasn't a call, because as you can see in your scan, GI was given a preview of Max Payne 3. I highly doubt any previews were given for GTAV at the same time for a future issue months into the future. It would make much more sense to dedicate time for GTAV when that time comes, and when no doubt the game would be much further into development.

There's no doubt in my mind that GI will be given the world exclusive, and it would be mutually beneficial for both parties to promote as early as possible when that time comes. I just think Rockstar is too focused and involved right now with what they call is their "biggest and boldest" marketing effort for a game yet (Max Payne 3's launch)... so we're still at least 2-3 months away.

I don't know, I'm inclined to disagree with you here Adriaan. I don't think MP3 will affect GTA V as much as we think.

Its perfectly plausible for some information of GTA V to be revealed close to and before MP3's release - I personally don't think it would stop people buying MP3 and I don't think it would stop Rockstar.

I have little basis other than Rockstar's patterns in the past but I definitley feel either the May, June or at the latest July issue of GI will be GTA V's big reveal. June most likely, as they usually have the GTA reveal just before E3.

Why cant people accept that Rockstar is going to wait till Mp3 is out.

And the next gameinformer will probably have Halo4 as Coverstory

Mokrie Dela

I guess well have to wait and see really. I'm not a magazine subscriber and probably won't even buy any when V appears in it. Waste of money IMO.

But MPs due may right? So are you saying game informer subs will get the info (assuming V is featured after MP is out) in April?

If gta promotion begins in may, that says a nov/dec release date to me. Christmas?

But I don't think it will be. I don't think R* will begin pedalling V that close to MP. Call me sceptic but many people on this forum refuse to get MP because it's not V- childish IMO - so one can speculate that if V info is released the same month as MP then interest in MP will decline. I don't think R* will risk that

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

087rqaU.pngVw81Z2a.pngxWvxZoT.png1fb6cYB.png

Click here to view my Poetry

There's really no indication that GTA V info may lead to reduction in player's interest in Max Payne 3, it's just a speculation. It's the same as the speculation that states that Rockstar announced GTA V because they wanted people to come to their website and see Max Payne 3. In fact, giving away information about GTA V before the release of Max Payne 3, may lead players to have more interest in it. How can you disprove that? A player who decided to buy Max Payne 3 two years ago, would buy it even if GTA V released one week prior to it, because he decided to do so. However, new comers mayn't do the same, so that's why most of the focus is on Max Payne 3, but a big reveal next month wouldn't hurt, would it? one week, and players would be looking forward Max Payne 3 again, if they were distracted by GTA V in the first place. tounge.gif

Edited by FiS!!HeR

Halo 4 for what cover, May or June can't be both. I am sure that the May and June issue are usually hot items, as the summer time July and August not so much.

Gotta think about what covers have been revealed and what have not been, usually the covers around this time are for the fall games, so Halo 4 i am sure might be one coming soon also. Resident 6 check, The last of Us, check, Max has check been done, AC3, check has been done already, what other AAA games would they do. Bioshock?maybe, Halo 4 yes, GTAV, of course, at the least the next month we will know for sure, as by the end of April we will know both the May and June covers.

@Luk Thanks for the compliment man, much appreciated.

Racecarlock

Hmm, yes, why can't people accept that? Oh wait, it's because rockstar has not in fact confirmed that and everyone just assumed that's how the information will flow. Has anyone actually confirmed that they'll stall V marketing until after MP3? If so, in what exact magazine, and it needs to have a direct quote from a rockstar north staff member before I'll accept that marketing schedule.

I guess well have to wait and see really. I'm not a magazine subscriber and probably won't even buy any when V appears in it. Waste of money IMO.

But MPs due may right? So are you saying game informer subs will get the info (assuming V is featured after MP is out) in April?

If gta promotion begins in may, that says a nov/dec release date to me. Christmas?

But I don't think it will be. I don't think R* will begin pedalling V that close to MP. Call me sceptic but many people on this forum refuse to get MP because it's not V- childish IMO - so one can speculate that if V info is released the same month as MP then interest in MP will decline. I don't think R* will risk that

On the other hand players, such as myself, will be getting MP3 to tide myself over til GTA V but also to see the features from MP3 that will doubtlessly be in GTA V as well.

I honestly feel its perfectly feasible for Rockstar to get the ball rolling before MP3 is released, if not a week or two before.

It would probably be the June issue, which would be released in May. This would get the ball rolling for a release in Oct.

Edited by PaddsterG2k3

OP's observation is very plausible. A Game Informer exclusive was the first in-depth look at other Rockstar games as well.

The timing of the articles was consistently 6-9 months before a planned release date. L.A. Noire's Game Informer cover story hit stands in February 2010, looking toward a fall release that was mentioned on Rockstar's Twitter. Game Informer's Max Payne 3 preview hit stands way back in June 2009, calling it Rockstar's next game based on the Winter 2009 release date given when MP3 was announced in March 2009. This contradicted an autumn 2009 release date of Red Dead Redemption announced in February 2009. The RDR trailer came out a month before GI's MP3 preview, and with lead time to publication GI may have written up MP3 unaware of that. Having more info on MP3 may have led to the conclusion that it would be out next. Exceptionally, Red Dead Redemption never got a Game Informer preview cover story.

Of course, none of the planned release dates held up. Each game came out over a year after its Game Informer preview. Ironically Red Dead Redemption, the un-previewed game, was the least delayed after its announcement. If a summer 2009 Game Informer preview had been done of RDR instead of MP3 it would have been less than a year till actual release.

I don't know, I'm inclined to disagree with you here Adriaan. I don't think MP3 will affect GTA V as much as we think.

Its perfectly plausible for some information of GTA V to be revealed close to and before MP3's release - I personally don't think it would stop people buying MP3 and I don't think it would stop Rockstar.

I have little basis other than Rockstar's patterns in the past but I definitley feel either the May, June or at the latest July issue of GI will be GTA V's big reveal. June most likely, as they usually have the GTA reveal just before E3.

I'm not sure what you disagree with what I said. That time frame you gave for the expected GI reveal is what I said as well (2-3 months away). And as for "MP3 affecting GTAV", where it would "stop people from buying MP3", is not at all what I said.

It should be interesting to see what happens during E3, given that the game is set in a fictional Los Angeles, while at the same time - Rockstar in recent years have held some hard and clear reservations towards that event.

I'm not sure what you disagree with what I said. That time frame you gave for the expected GI reveal is what I said as well (2-3 months away). And as for "MP3 affecting GTAV", where it would "stop people from buying MP3", is not at all what I said.

It should be interesting to see what happens during E3, given that the game is set in a fictional Los Angeles, while at the same time - Rockstar in recent years have held some hard and clear reservations towards that event.

Yea no doubt this E3 might be different in the fact that V is set in Los Santos, E3 being in LA, and not bad for more marketing on V, not that it needs any. Then again i can see V being show behind closed doors at E3 with the likes of ign, etc, and those infamous tweets we will get. No doubt that the next two months will go along way in seeing what V has in store for us as fans of the game.

Well at least we will know the May cover in about a week or so time.

I hope you're right TC, and it seems pretty plauseable, I mean every major GTA release since VC has had a major info reveal in GI.

About E3, I don't know if Rockstar will go, I mean yeah it's in LA, and the game is in Los Santos which is as you said based on LA. But Rockstar hasn't gone there in how many years? If anything I could see them just doing a private press confrence on their own, with nothing to do with E3.

Enjoy your opinion, anyway on the GI subscriber info, the cover reveal for May 2012 is not yet released, however for all their covers they usually announce it at end of the month, so for May issues they will announce it end of March, Subscribers getting the may issue in the first week of April.

For June issue it would be end of April for the reveal, and so on.

I just it would be better to have the May cover for V, as if it is the June issues, people would be getting the issues Beginning of May and coinciding with MP, seems better that they give it to us May then it calms down during the end of April, middle of May MP, then Middle end of June trailer 2.

FelipeVinhao

Interesting analysis, Hurrikane. It's actually one of the few things about every new GTA that seems to have a pattern. And it fits nicely to currently 2012 scenario.

Just hope they don't keep another known pattern: the game will be delayed again. moto_whistle.gif

Mokrie Dela

On the other hand players, such as myself, will be getting MP3 to tide myself over til GTA V but also to see the features from MP3 that will doubtlessly be in GTA V as well.

I honestly feel its perfectly feasible for Rockstar to get the ball rolling before MP3 is released, if not a week or two before.

It would probably be the June issue, which would be released in May. This would get the ball rolling for a release in Oct.

I plan to get MP3, because 1 was good and 2 was fantastic. With the quality of gta and RDR storylines I'm confident it'll be worth it. I hope it's not too short too.

Also I suppose I'm proving my own speculation wrong, as I'm interested in both. Still I maintain that focus will be on one game, for financial disbersement and quality reasons. If I'm doing two things at once, one will suffer. I take care of one the focus on the other, I can do them better. Either way Gta will be at least six months press so I suppose it doesn't really matter - people may think f*ck it I'll get mp

I must admit I would never have brought LA Noire if it wasn't Rockstargames publishing it.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

087rqaU.pngVw81Z2a.pngxWvxZoT.png1fb6cYB.png

Click here to view my Poetry

i would for the may issue cover, it would be revealed this week by someone at GI, we will know shortly is this few months thing is finally upon us. i would say we deserve it.

RockstarMark
Told ya so. Missed this tweet i guess

https://twitter.com/#!/Andrew_Reiner/st...867834715021312

A few months ago, there was speculation of a GTA V cover reveal and people asked him if the game was V. He said flat out that it wasnt.

@Andrew_Reiner No, You said 19 March that your Jig is on the ground with the screens of the new cover, so I asked if it are GTA 5 screens.

Andrew_Reiner @Matsvanstam Oh. I can't tell you the game. You'll have to wait and see.

Now we get a "I can't tell you" when reference is made to V. Again, pure pure speculation once again...pulling at straws even, but it's all very interesting and I agree with you Hurrikane, a May or June cover reveal is very likely!

So when did that GI guy say we'll get to see the official cover of the next issue? My hopes are sooo up this time.

a May or June cover reveal is very likely!

I would say: ' it should be, otherwise ........'

a May or June cover reveal is very likely!

I would say: ' it should be, otherwise ........'

Next Thursday is the reveal of the cover which in all honesty to me is a little late to announce it, as AC3 was announced on the first of March, it will be April 5 on Thursday, and one day before PAX mmmmmm. Why not just do it on Monday like AC3 and all the other reveals. Plus Thursday is the day before the holiday here in America, interesting day to announce something day before PAX. I think it is V.

Next Thursday is the reveal of the cover

Where is it said that the reveal will happen on Thursday?