What if the bold new direction is......

RockStarNiko

RockStarNiko

A focus on purely mission based gameplay with no side missions/odd job type activities in support?

I wonder this because I am currently playing through San Andreas for the first time (I did not play video games for a few years when first released and so missed out)

In my opinion San Andreas is a MUCH better game than GTA IV, in GTA IV I enjoyed SOME of the missions and it was decent story and some great characters, but all the side missions were very DULL indeed. On other hand, almost all of SA missions are great fun and very creative, plus it has TONS of fun stuff to do that is very enjoyable

I do not know why GTA IV moved away from all the fun stuff that was in SA?

So today I was thinking about "bold new direction" and "mission based gameplay" that R* have said and made me think what if instead of ~90 missions and lots of stuff to do, they are instead going to make a game that is ~150-200 missions with large map, but no other side stuff to do?

I don't think so. I wouldn't consider this approach to be neither bold nor new, but more lame and dull than anything else. I like to have side missions and other activities to keep me occupied in game after completing the main missions. If it was just purely the main missions and then free play I'd begin to worry about where the series is heading. The side stuff is what adds extra flavor to the game.

No, I think there's definitely going to be golf in the game. The trailer strongly hinted at that. And that's a huge side-activity to have in a GTA.

There was less stuff in GTA IV simply because it took a lot of work just making the game from scratch. Making car wheels spin and stuff. Far less time for what we'd call playable content. There will be more content in GTA V, and hopefully a lot more. These years of work have been on top of GTA IV's. You could say this is a game 8 years in the making rather than the 3 and a half years for GTA IV (not really a solid statement but you get what I'm trying to say).

I did like San Andreas more then IV, and have been reminded of that by replaying SA recently. I'm not expecting to like GTA V more than SA at this point, because I like SA so much. But I think GTA V is going to blow GTA IV out of the water in terms of the sheer amount of content and variety.

Sunrise Driver

There was less stuff in GTA IV simply because it took a lot of work just making the game from scratch. Making car wheels spin and stuff. Far less time for what we'd call playable content.

This. GTA3 was the same as GTA4 or actually even less in term of side missions.

These years of work have been on top of GTA IV's. You could say this is a game 8 years in the making rather than the 3 and a half years for GTA IV

But I think GTA V is going to blow GTA IV out of the water in terms of the sheer amount of content and variety.

icon14.gificon14.gif Totally, everything you said.

These years of work have been on top of GTA IV's. You could say this is a game 8 years in the making rather than the 3 and a half years for GTA IV

But I think GTA V is going to blow GTA IV out of the water in terms of the sheer amount of content and variety.

icon14.gificon14.gif Totally, everything you said.

Really the first trailer showed no traffic, no npc's on the road, and no action other than the same ole chase by the same ole cop car. This to me, the first trailer that is, did nothing for me, and gave me no hope or more confidence that V is going to blow IV out of the water or even be oh yea that word EPIC, yes the first trailer for IV was awesome and great, remember them showing the scene with all the fast travel and the music, and all the npc's and cars in the road at times square, none to be had in the real game.

on another note the signature says it all, read up and get ready for the best open world game. That new trailer with the traffic and npc doing crazy sh*t in town was ridiculous, thats open world. A guy threw another npc off of a walkway and was hanging on for dear life as the protag chased the bad guy.

There was less stuff in GTA IV simply because it took a lot of work just making the game from scratch. Making car wheels spin and stuff. Far less time for what we'd call playable content. There will be more content in GTA V, and hopefully a lot more. These years of work have been on top of GTA IV's. You could say this is a game 8 years in the making rather than the 3 and a half years for GTA IV (not really a solid statement but you get what I'm trying to say).

I did like San Andreas more then IV, and have been reminded of that by replaying SA recently. I'm not expecting to like GTA V more than SA at this point, because I like SA so much. But I think GTA V is going to blow GTA IV out of the water in terms of the sheer amount of content and variety.

well said...

IV was about getting the new engine and core elements to work.

Now its just tuning and upgrading. Just look at the progress done for RDR, and that

game was created more or less in the same period as gtaIV, maybe started a little bit later.

All the ideas that all the creators at Rockstar have been bottling up since gta IV is getting unleashed in this one!

I can feel it.

I am not worried one bit!

I thought the bold new direction was a gay protagonist.

Yeah and goodbye 70% of GTAs userbase.

ballsdeep30

Look at Mass effect 3 they're sales are still good, and you can have a gay boyfriend lmfao. Pulls out shotgun take this mr macho man

Sunrise Driver

95% I'd say.

Bold new direction is Sims 4 - no crime, no guns, be a good dad, raise kids and etc.

Racecarlock

95% I'd say.

Bold new direction is Sims 4 - no crime, no guns, be a good dad, raise kids and etc.

Oh man... Dude. Don't even joke abut that. Seriously, with all the people around here asking for a fuel system and the return of hunger, I'm scared this might actually happen.

IceCreamisOK

Well, what if the 'bold new direction' was.. perhaps, more choice? I don't know about the rest of you, but I thoroughly enjoyed having what minimal choices we did have in GTA IV. (I.E. Kill a guy, or keep him alive; different endings based off of different choices.) I, for one, would LOVE further emphasis on that aspect of the game.

Finn 7 five 11

Look at Mass effect 3 they're sales are still good, and you can have a gay boyfriend lmfao. Pulls out shotgun take this mr macho man

They already had a game with a major character being homosexual and even called it the ballad of gay Tony, it sold just as much as tlad.

1st Person view

LoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooL! that will NEVER happen

But it already happened, just not as an option to be used all the time or a very polished option, you could see in First Person freely without a weapon in III and VC, in III the M16 was used in first person, in VC both assault rifles could be used in first person, in all GTA games the sniper rifles are used in first person, and in GTA TBoGT the first person camera is used in the bouncer and base jumping activities. If they're going to include parts of the game in first person they should just add it as an camera option already. Also, there are first person mods for IV which work really well.

Edited by _L1pE_

A focus on purely mission based gameplay with no side missions/odd job type activities in support?

I wonder this because I am currently playing through San Andreas for the first time (I did not play video games for a few years when first released and so missed out)

In my opinion San Andreas is a MUCH better game than GTA IV, in GTA IV I enjoyed SOME of the missions and it was decent story and some great characters, but all the side missions were very DULL indeed. On other hand, almost all of SA missions are great fun and very creative, plus it has TONS of fun stuff to do that is very enjoyable

I do not know why GTA IV moved away from all the fun stuff that was in SA?

So today I was thinking about "bold new direction" and "mission based gameplay" that R* have said and made me think what if instead of ~90 missions and lots of stuff to do, they are instead going to make a game that is ~150-200 missions with large map, but no other side stuff to do?

God I hope not. And I doubt it anyway, as I'm pretty sure as most veterans are on this forum, that IV was more of a tech test, and that R* will use that as a base to push the possibilities content-wise in future instalments.

Problem is, V appears to be the last GTA of current-gen consoles. I'm no tech expert but I'm guessing R* will have a lot of testing to do with future tech as well. I hope it gets easier as they've already had much experience with coupling RAGE and Euphoria into their games, and that that would help them adapt better and more quickly to next-gen tech.

I absolutely don't want to see next-gen's first GTA compromise a f*ckload of content like they did with IV.

interpolfan11

They already had a game with a major character being homosexual and even called it the ballad of gay Tony, it sold just as much as tlad.

Precisely. We've progressed more as a society than some are willing to admit.

I mean, who gives a flying f*ck if the protagonist is gay? There's no way in hell V, one of the most hyped video games in history, will sell less due to having a gay protagonist.

Precisely. We've progressed more as a society than some are willing to admit.

I mean, who gives a flying f*ck if the protagonist is gay? There's no way in hell V, one of the most hyped video games in history, will sell less due to having a gay protagonist.

True, homophobics are just a vocal minority.

Finn 7 five 11
I think the bold new direction will be playing as a cop not a criminal wink.gif

Oh yeah, the biggest open world criminal game will just turn into you being an enforcer of the law.

Good idea man...no seriously ignore the sarcasm. icon14.gif

Melissaveroza

I think the bold new direction will be playing as a cop not a criminal wink.gif

Oh yeah, the biggest open world criminal game will just turn into you being an enforcer of the law.

Good idea man...no seriously ignore the sarcasm. icon14.gif

The Topic is "Bold new direction"

Rockstar has always been the criminal, time for a change, plus "That line of work" and be "a good guy"

Not to mention the cast calls for Feds in the game

Harwood Butch3r

How is this a bold and new direction? So to make up for GTA IV's "dull" side missions they should be removed altogether?

I liked GTA IV's side missions because they were spun from the main story aka doing drug runs for LJ. A bold and new direction would be to take GTA IV's idea further. Like if you do a drug deal for someone depending whether it's successful or not could have consequences.

Side missions should be more than just for making money. There should be a sense of purpose which was experimented with in GTA IV.

1st Person view & multiple protags.

I was thinking of Multiple Protags too, and/or a more branched storyline.