Next Gen Download only

ikillionaire ii

ikillionaire ii

Huge rumours that the next xbox is going to be discless which i guess means download only

!

Theres another article which says it could even be out in 2013 (the new xbox not gta)

http://gamer.blorge.com/2012/03/10/disc-le...ing-2013-rumor/

Now with GTA seemingly more and more likely to be 2013 release i for one wont be getting a download only console

(Sorry if this is seen as irrelevant being mainly about xbox)

It's not going to be download only, They said it will use some sort of flash memory. or small hardrives.

it will have no disc drive. Instead the console will employ interchangeable solid-state storage such as SD

ikillionaire ii

I thought that meant so you can download games onto the hard drive?

With it being removeable still being able to take games to friends house etc

I doubt game shops will sell pre downloaded games on hard drives

Yeah, GTA V would most likely be released on 2013 since there's not much time to promote it, and next-gen? Made me laugh, no way, judging from the graphics, it only looks like it would be out on current-gen consoles.

I don't think it will be downloadable games only, as 3/5 of the world's population doesn't have a high speed internet connection. I personally won't be able to dnwnload a 25 GB games, and so for 50% of people who will own an Xbox 720.

Huge money loss if Microsoft does this.

MrDanceWithLance
I don't think it will be downloadable games only, as 3/5 of the world's population doesn't have a high speed internet connection. I personally won't be able to dnwnload a 25 GB games, and so for 50% of people who will own an Xbox 720.

Like he said, it is highly unlikely that GTA V will be download only. Not everybody has high speed broadband internet. Also, it is more convinient to purchase GTA V from a shop, rather than downloading it off the web. It takes time to download, whereas if you walk into a shop to purchase it, it only takes a minute or two.

Rockstar is not stupid. Rockstar knows that they will have lots of angry fans and loss of money if they make GTA V a download only game.

mrmojo_prime

I thought that the no disc drive thing(Romour) for the next XBOX just meant it'll have a removable solid state drive card like the PS Vita and go back to the good old days of the cartridge. I think Gta v will be released on the 360 then if Rockstar feel the need they'll just port the game to the next X-BOX.

MiamiVice1984

All i know is that Sony has already confirmed that they wont release PS4 before 2014 so maybe Microsoft will follow. And who gives a f*ck about WII U?

Edited by MiamiVice1984

All i know is that Sony has already confirmed that they wont release PS4 before 2014 so maybe Microsoft will follow.

The word is that Microsoft is aiming at a Holiday 2013 release for the 720.

Yeah, GTA V would most likely be released on 2013 since there's not much time to promote it, and next-gen? Made me laugh, no way, judging from the graphics, it only looks like it would be out on current-gen consoles.

They have already started the promotion it's too early to call 2013.

ikillionaire ii

Like he said, it is highly unlikely that GTA V will be download only. Not everybody has high speed broadband internet. Also, it is more convinient to purchase GTA V from a shop, rather than downloading it off the web. It takes time to download, whereas if you walk into a shop to purchase it, it only takes a minute or two.

rockstar is not stupid. Rockstar knows that they will have lots of angry fans and loss of money if they make GTA V a download only game.

But microsoft are

And i never said that i think gta will definatley be next gen im just saying it could be likely if the next console is out 2013

Gta will prob be autumn/fall release but its getting less likely

Surely though a SD drive would actually increase piracy rates however, I can see SD drives with preinstalled/pirate games being sold on eBay as 50 in 1 bundles and people buying them.

Though, if they're anything like Action 52....

New X720 could also mean a console exclusive for GTA, much like GoW/MLB/Halo series

mrmojo_prime
Surely though a SD drive would actually increase piracy rates however, I can see SD drives with preinstalled/pirate games being sold on eBay as 50 in 1 bundles and people buying them.

Though, if they're anything like Action 52....

New X720 could also mean a console exclusive for GTA, much like GoW/MLB/Halo series

I'm no tec expert, but couldn't microsoft just incryped their SD cards? I don't know how Sony does it with their PS Vita's but couldn't the same work for the next xbox.

That I'm not sure of, but think back to CDs coming out for the 32x/PS1, people said they'd be impossible to copy, look what happened.

Honestly I can't see the SD idea taking off unless it's done really, really well. How, for instance would they patch games?

Only console I know of that was download only (PSPGo) was an abyzmal failure that made no money. A large portion of the worlds population is without high-speed internet and usage limits exist in most countries so a download only console won't happen for a very, very long time and if it does it won't be very successful.

As for GTA V, as it's clearly been in development for 4+ years and as such it will be released on the current generation of consoles (360/PS3) as well as PC.

Yeah they've started the promotion, but there's not much time to promote it.

Edited by JF-Mir2

I would be really dissapointed if GTA V was for the next gen consoles. GTA IV was just to get used to the system, and it was...... erm...... Not THAT good.

So if V is for next gen, chances are it's not gonna be much icon13.gif

the graphic are good in the trailer

but if the game is for next gen

well to be honest gta v graphic are sh*t from the trailer (its good for this generation )

G1T

I have great internet, but it took me the whole day (coming home from school at 2:30 to nearly going to bed at 10:00) to download the Ballad of Gay Tony. 7 and a half hours to download it. IMAGINE me trying to download V! I wont be able to play it for days because of downloading! Theyere better be a way to like put it in a special USB drive and play it...

Yeah they've started the promotion, but there's not much time to promote it.

They have between June-October/November plenty of time. It's GTA it doesn't need that much promotion!

I hope future consoles don't go digital. Some of the prices on the Playstation store are extortionate.

Alba_Bhoy88
I hope future consoles don't go digital. Some of the prices on the Playstation store are extortionate.

This.

It's incredible how sony can get away with those prices! I bought the psp-go (£100 on ebay) and it was the biggest waste of money I've ever spent.

I bought Manhunt, and all available GTA's then that was me done.. I honestly felt i would get better value on the PSN given there being no packaging ect.. Total rip off.

Anyway, theres no danger consoles are going download only, anytime soon. It just doesn't offer any incentive for the buyer.

I can see something like 'onlive' working because the subscription price it relatively fair, however that system has issues aswel and the best games are still priced way to high.. Simply put -there is no good to come from a download service only.

Also note that the gaming industry would take a significant hit with physical disks being obsolete, people like the option of trading used games which brings $$$$$ to many other business's like trading stores ect..

Unless games can still be traded/swapped (even digitally) then i would guess these services will only be sporadic and quite honestly worthless.

The industry isn't ready for it yet and might never be, so long as price and execution is an issue.

Don't get me wrong though, i quite like what the likes of onlive are trying to achieve, my issues are with trading and re-selling aswel as price. Sony IMO have done it all wrong and tbh have been pretty criminal in what they try charge. £44 for fifa on vita?... Hmmmmm if this is the future then i think i need to go back to doing hobbies that involve exercise and for me at least, that would suck ass.

Used game market's already shot with the online pass system though, retailers are going bankrupt, EA/Acti/THQ want rid of used games completely and the rest of the industry hasn't really got a choice

ballsdeep30

You guys are silly for thinking GTA V is coming out next year. If you pay attention all the clues are there. Get ready for Rockstar to drop a dime on yall after the max payne release

I dunno about disclessless, whatever that is.... Disc less, that would mean forsaking optical discs, but not media on disk, Solid State and flash memory, Downloading is already an option, but to force people to pay for XBL or Broadband to use a gaming console won't help anyone, MS, Sony, Nintendo.... NO ONE!

MS already do with XBL howeer, you got your normal broadband charges, then you got XBL fees on top of that.

Sony have it fr free, but again, broadband charges

ballsdeep30

I dunno about disclessless, whatever that is.... Disc less, that would mean forsaking optical discs, but not media on disk, Solid State and flash memory, Downloading is already an option, but to force people to pay for XBL or Broadband to use a gaming console won't help anyone, MS, Sony, Nintendo.... NO ONE!

You can freaking buy 30 gig flash drives now. So they hold way more space then cd's. They're stating

the new xbox flash drives or whatever would be able to hold 200 or more gigs, and it probably won't be that big. This is a plus for me and other guys a quiet xbox so I don't wake up my girl while I'm playing at night lol.

MS already do with XBL howeer, you got your normal broadband charges, then you got XBL fees on top of that.

Sony have it fr free, but again, broadband charges

People out of work, or out of Broadband service areas still prefer console to PC gaming, just based on the very FOUNDATION of console gaming since the Atari 2600, or Magnavox Odyssey, since the premise is still the same, the only online model the Industry is REALLY concerned about is Theft and piracy being a Non Issue in the future