GTA 5, RDR, and Jail

DatassGTA

If anyone here has played Red Dead Redemption, you would know that after being "busted" you go to jail and actually see your guy in jail for like 2 days or something, of course, you can skip it.

Now what i was thinking is, what if they did an alctraz island prison sort of thing, could be kind of cool. No, I don't mean that every time you get busted you come here, I mean that there was a mission or two, where you had to be in jail and had to get out. You could work out and kill people and stuff. I think it would be pretty interesting, what do you guys think?

If this has been posted before, sorry for the re-post.

If anyone here has played Red Dead Redemption, you would know that after being "busted" you go to jail and actually see your guy in jail for like 2 days or something, of course, you can skip it.

Now what i was thinking is, what if they did an alctraz island prison sort of thing, could be kind of cool. No, I don't mean that every time you get busted you come here, I mean that there was a mission or two, where you had to be in jail and had to get out. You could work out and kill people and stuff. I think it would be pretty interesting, what do you guys think?

It would be cool, but, I would wait for San Fierro turn.gif

There's no San Fierro, already confirmed

G1T

Alba_Bhoy88

Good concept in principle.

I like the idea that you have a side mission (type deal) to break out of jail, however there are some draw backs and some questions would need to be answered.

Such as can it be skipped, if there's a RDR type honor system, would breaking out not hinder you if going for a clean game ect ect

I think all of that (and other questions besides) will be mute anyway, as i don't think Rock* would go down this route based purely on how much game-play is on offer anyway, folk would bypass it more often than not IMO just to get back in the action asap... That said though, it would add something to the game and should be considered for "that ultimate experience" somewhere down the line.

I would love it if you got busted, you go to jail. Say you get busted for murder, it activates a sub mission to break out of jail. That would be fun.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Good concept in principle.

I like the idea that you have a side mission (type deal) to break out of jail, however there are some draw backs and some questions would need to be answered.

Such as can it be skipped, if there's a RDR type honor system, would breaking out not hinder you if going for a clean game ect ect

I think all of that (and other questions besides) will be mute anyway, as i don't think Rock* would go down this route based purely on how much game-play is on offer anyway, folk would bypass it more often than not IMO just to get back in the action asap... That said though, it would add something to the game and should be considered for "that ultimate experience" somewhere down the line.

Ok, let me take this in parts.

1: I highly doubt they would have a RDR type of honor system, it worked in RDR (IMO) because of the time it took place in (Wild west) GTA has almost always been all about doing illegal stuff to get what your character wants/needs.

2: I do agree with you, people would probably do it once, then not do it again (unless you have to break out differently every time). that said, they could even implement it into the actual story line, go to jail, do maybe a couple of missions that would all be attached to SP, and break out.

i don't know, just thought it would add something new and exciting to the GTA feel of actually going to jail. Maybe people here are trying to kill you all the time, would feel like real life prison.

Mokrie Dela

he never said there was. He said he would WAIT for SF - implying that future games would be set in SF, where Alcatrazz would be (and i imagine they could insert a reference to the rock).

an interesting idea though, but i dont expect to see it. Whenever i get arrested in GTA i reload my last save game, losing whatever progress i've made - same with dying. I simply don't allow myself to get arrested (goodfellas reference in that people only go to jail cos they want to ). IV had an emergency escape route in the subways and i use that when sh*t really hits the fan. police chases are epic (unless youre playing Saints Row 3/Need For Speed where the chasing cops ALWAYS match your speed. sure a cop car Vs a modded lambo with NOS).

So this feature would be lost on me.

In missions though? Mafia 2 did it and it wasnt bad. it would move the story on and allow a change in seasons (pointless in V as cali has little change with seasons).

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

087rqaU.pngVw81Z2a.pngxWvxZoT.png1fb6cYB.png

Click here to view my Poetry

Here's another idea, what if at the beginning of the game it actually let you choose whether you wanted to go to jail or not when getting busted? people who just want to go straight to keep on playing can, and those who want to do the jail side missions. It would also make people more careful when committing a crime.

Alba_Bhoy88

Yeah i know an RDR style honor system would be highly unlikely..I used that as a possibility. My point was, if there is no penalties or likewise advantages then it offers no incentive to the gamer nor the developer other than to "annoy"

I do like the idea, and it worked well in Oblivion and Skyrim.. So if the question was could you escape and take acquired weps and cash with you then yeah it would fit the game imo.

For an added incentive it could be really difficult and being killed or re-arrested would cause you to lose the stored weps/cash and likewise you would lose them by default if you choose the skip option instead.

This has already been done in Mafia II. There's a section in the middle of the game where you get arrested and sent to jail for a few months.

Of course, for you its like 5 missions, but it was quite interesting seeing the conflicts that happen in jail. Like e.g. - Jail: where men who 'didnt do it' show what they're prepared to do when deprived of female contact wink.gif

I would however like the whole busting out of prison style mission, but only if its intensity is of same calibre as Four Leaf Clover (still my fav from GTA IV)

Mokrie Dela
Yeah i know an RDR style honor system would be highly unlikely..I used that as a possibility. My point was, if there is no penalties or likewise advantages then it offers no incentive to the gamer nor the developer other than to "annoy"

I do like the idea, and it worked well in Oblivion and Skyrim.. So if the question was could you escape and take acquired weps and cash with you then yeah it would fit the game imo.

For an added incentive it could be really difficult and being killed or re-arrested would cause you to lose the stored weps/cash and likewise you would lose them by default if you choose the skip option instead.

i would actually like the honour system to appear in V

What bugged me in RDR is that it was out of place. I think it should affect the story. progress as a good guy the story goes one way, as a bad guy it goes the other, and the story would hinge on your karma

A very tricky thing to do though with a branching story that can go back and forwards. Each mission would need 2/3 different versions of it.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

087rqaU.pngVw81Z2a.pngxWvxZoT.png1fb6cYB.png

Click here to view my Poetry

Great idea, and I do think it should be implemented in GTA V, but the thing is, I was almost never wanted in RDR.

As John Marston or his son, I felt bad killing innocent people. It just didn't fit with his style so I rarely spent time in jail lol.

As for GTA V, although I will commit crimes, I hardly ever get busted - at least in GTA SA and IV.

I feel that if they decide to include a jail system, they should at least give the police and wanted level an overhaul too to make it worthwhile icon14.gif

Alba_Bhoy88

@ Nigel.. Aye, i think i only got jailed once or twice in RDR smile.gif if i f*cked up and was cornered i just fought till i was dropped LOL.. EVEN if i originally committed a crime by accident ha.. that's just my temperament though and doesn't reflect on the actually jail system. biggrin.gif

@ Mokrie.. What you have described there is a what games in general are striving too.. (probably) Very very complex mechanics especially when you factor in everything else such as size of map, density of population AI movements ect ect ect all huge tasks we take for granted i feel.. so to add other complexities may be a distant wish for now.

Where companies do these types of mechanics they falter in other ones so you still never get that "rounded" experience.

I do believe GTA could do something similar to RDR but it would re-define the entire series imho. If they where going to do it then IMO GTA 4 would have been an ideal test, simply because of Nico belic. This was the only character i never felt was a bad person. (besides John Marston) There was scope there to introduce an RDR system and it would have been an eye opening piece of artistry imo.

Nico was an anti hero and i think most would agree they had less of an urge to rampage with him.. much like Marston.. although the option to do so really made them 'complex'

I Am Jeff Terry

before IV came out i was speculating about a portion of the game taking place in jail and having the different tiers/floors being locked until you complete a couple of missions to gain access to that floor/level. over a dozen missions or so you would collect weapons/tools and work your way up to breaking out, then the real game starts... just a thought. i dont think they should do ^ anymore because it wouldnt really work w the premise of V, but i do think it would be cool to incorporate some missions in jail, it would be awsome to have violent prisoners locked in w the main charcter and having to handle your business, having CO's and the gangs in the jail yard and maybe a small prison riot? we could form relationships with criminals and make a friend or 2 while locked up who gets out later in the game or something.

i think that would be cool...

G1T

he never said there was. He said he would WAIT for SF - implying that future games would be set in SF, where Alcatrazz would be (and i imagine they could insert a reference to the rock).

an interesting idea though, but i dont expect to see it. Whenever i get arrested in GTA i reload my last save game, losing whatever progress i've made - same with dying. I simply don't allow myself to get arrested (goodfellas reference in that people only go to jail cos they want to ). IV had an emergency escape route in the subways and i use that when sh*t really hits the fan. police chases are epic (unless youre playing Saints Row 3/Need For Speed where the chasing cops ALWAYS match your speed. sure a cop car Vs a modded lambo with NOS).

In missions though? Mafia 2 did it and it wasnt bad. it would move the story on and allow a change in seasons (pointless in V as cali has little change with seasons).

Yes, you are right about that Need for Speed cops ALWYAS match ypur speed.

Regardless which supercar and turbo installed, they always f*cking match your speed!

In GTA SA I could easily pass them by but the cop chases are damn epic!

Hope the cops have improved AI in V since the red car seems a really fast car but the cop cars has matched the red car.

Anyway, didn't Alcatraz been abandoned?

It would be epic to break out and get all the stuff you need to go away on the sea.

G1T

I would love it if you got busted, you go to jail. Say you get busted for murder, it activates a sub mission to break out of jail. That would be fun.

Unfortunely that will never happen.. Because if some stupid people complained that GTA IV was too realistic, what will they say about that??? Actually i hope i'm wrong and GTA V will be even more realistic! But i dont think that will happen

Snake Without a Tongue

Ok, let me take this in parts.

1: I highly doubt they would have a RDR type of honor system, it worked in RDR (IMO) because of the time it took place in (Wild west) GTA has almost always been all about doing illegal stuff to get what your character wants/needs.

I'm going off topic here, but I really wish there was an honor system in GTA. Something more basic than RDR. Like the more innocent people you kill, the more sensitive the police are to your presence. Then this could be qualified by using a ski mask, etc.

Back on topic... I was sooo pissed that there wasn't a prison break mission in IV. It was such a wasted opportunity.

Even more back on topic, I liked the jail segue in Vice City when Rosenberg would say "Tommy Vercetti is an innocent man!"

SGT. Johnson

More of a "Let's go to Prison" idea would work here.

In one of the missions, some guy who worked for the mob got sent to jail and is awaiting a transfer to a federal prison or something to squeal on his old boss. Your job is to get yourself arrested so you can locate the snitch and kill him. Then you must either wait out in jail or break out.

When you finally get out, the mob boss erases all the info on you and you become a free man, with a nice $50,000 bonus that is wink.gif

Racecarlock

I don't have a problem with it only being a story mission string. I don't get the people that want it to happen every bust though. Maybe you can get away from the cops easily, hell, I get away from the cops easily. But you have to think that somewhere out there there's someone who just can't seem to avoid getting busted all the time. Now, if jail for every bust is implemented, the guy will spend 90% of his playtime sulking around a prison. That would suck for the guy who just wants to see more of the city and things.

SGT. Johnson
I don't have a problem with it only being a story mission string. I don't get the people that want it to happen every bust though. Maybe you can get away from the cops easily, hell, I get away from the cops easily. But you have to think that somewhere out there there's someone who just can't seem to avoid getting busted all the time. Now, if jail for every bust is implemented, the guy will spend 90% of his playtime sulking around a prison. That would suck for the guy who just wants to see more of the city and things.

...And for that comment, I would tell that guy:

"Learn to play the game better!"

...And for that comment, I would tell that guy:

"Learn to play the game better!"

Well, there really is No way of playing a game like GTA "better".

It differs from person to person.

I like the Alcatraz Idea and i actually wouldnt mind going to jail everytime i get busted cuz I rarely ever get busted

I never knew you could go to jail in Red dead redemption, I dont remember this at all someone refresh my memory was it a mission or was it every time you get busted

ye w/e   go bother someone else with your BS

nothing is happening on these forums anyways, with no info, the forums are basically dead and filled with garbage threads

Well, I'm tired of reading your garbage PMs.

BANHAMMER