The Sound of Gunfire...

Trideez

I was out shooting the other day and something occured to me. When you go to the range, you wear earplugs because shooting a gun is EXTREMELY LOUD and instantly makes your ears start ringing. So I thought, you never wear earplugs in GTA, so wouldn't it make the game so much more immersive if they made it so when you shoot a gun, the sound would become muffled and your ears would start ringing? YES. then you would really feel like you were holding a powerful, deadly weapon like in real life. Anyone who has ever shot a gun without ear plugs knows what I'm talking about. This is one instace where I think making the game more realistic would be awesome.

Well, gunshots are mostly really loud indoors. When outside its more like a popping noise, or firecrackers if you will. But I do agree, the gunsounds are from realistic how they were in the last iterations.

where you inside a closed gun range? Because I know it's a lot louder in a enclosed space, where if the gun was powerful enough you really would need ear protection. Where outside all the sound travels outwards and doesn't bounce back and around.

The guns in the game sound pretty loud, also close explosions cause a ringing effect.

No, I was outside. I've been shooting guns since I was 14 and now I'm 33. It doesn't matter if you're outside or inside, if you shoot a gun, your ears start ringing. Unless you're shooting a little 22 handgun or something. I was shooting my .40 cal Sig and it's LOUDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD as f*ck, there's no way your ears aren't going to be ringing if you shoot it without ear protection.

We were also shooting shotguns and same thing, LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, a few weeks ago I shot an AR-15 that had a flash suppressor on it, and that did channel the sound forward and you really didn't need ear protection with that. But there was someone else there who also had an AR 15 without the flash suppressor and it was near deafening even with the damn earplugs. Go shoot a handgun that's 9mm or bigger and I guarantee you your ears will be ringing for a few seconds, indoors or outdoors.

I as just shooting my shotgun with my uncle the other day in his field and mine were just fine. Mabey it's just me.

I as just shooting my shotgun with my uncle the other day in his field and mine were just fine. Mabey it's just me.

It's more likely the gun than it is you.

Official General

I personally thought GTA IV got the gunshot sounds just right, and they were quite loud in the game I think. That is one of the things I actually really liked about IV, I liked the sounds of the gunshots, even the 9mm Glock. There is always room for improvement however !

you got the ear ringing sound in IV after you shot a rocket and it exploded near you.. maybe have something similar like that for big loud guns aswell, but not for the guns like pistols. But it should depend on your surrounding e.g different sound if your in or out of a building.. it was in IV but can be improved on in V.

Surely the gun design would make a difference, such as a shotgun vs a pistol vs a hand cannon vs a rifle. Each has their own design and way the sound waves reverberate.

IMO recorded sounds aren't that good, as they don't fit every situation (for instance indoor recorded sounds for what people THINK guns ought to sound like versus outdoor sounds or how guns actually are)

In a typical movie or video game, the sound of a gun firing is impossible to mistake for anything else; a distinctive booming report with lots of bass accompanies the firing of even the most puny weapon, unless fitted with a magic noise-removing machine.

In reality, this boom is closer to the sound of a shotgun firing. Smaller guns typically lack the howitzer-like boom of the movie versions, instead making a sound similar to a firecracker going off. This means when hearing a real gunshot, many people find it hard to tell that's what it is.

Source:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BangBangBANG

I would like more fitting and realistic gunshot sounds. Having shot a Beretta 92FS in ARMA II and then shot one myself, they got the sound pretty close, then firing the GTA version, that sound was off compared to the real weapon. Which sounded like a dull cracking sound or a firecracker going off.

EDIT: Also shot a .22 rifle, that was a loud snap or crack than a howitzer like boom, I could definitely feel it however.

Edited by Celticfang

Nice idea! I think Gunfire sound was good in GTA IV, but they could improve it and make it more realistic for GTA V,

SGT. Johnson
I was out shooting the other day and something occured to me. When you go to the range, you wear earplugs because shooting a gun is EXTREMELY LOUD and instantly makes your ears start ringing. So I thought, you never wear earplugs in GTA, so wouldn't it make the game so much more immersive if they made it so when you shoot a gun, the sound would become muffled and your ears would start ringing? YES. then you would really feel like you were holding a powerful, deadly weapon like in real life. Anyone who has ever shot a gun without ear plugs knows what I'm talking about. This is one instace where I think making the game more realistic would be awesome.

Do people who carry around guns, especially gangsters, wear earplugs when they shoot them?

Ispintechno

Maybe they should program sound with Doppler effect and bounce of concrete walls too. Could get pretty elaborate.

If so I'd want a weapon volume control in the main menu for when the wife is home.

SGT. Johnson

WEll since the topic is about GUNFIRE, I would like it, if possible, for Rockstar to make the bullets ricochet off walls or something. Also, improve bullet damage done to structures.

Red Dead had a massive improvement here.

The standard handgun in gtaIV sounded awful.

It sounds like someone is spitting on a teddybear.

You really get what I mean if you compare it to the

one i TBOGT, That had a lot more punch.

tenpennyisplainevil

I was out shooting the other day and something occured to me.  When you go to the range, you wear earplugs because shooting a gun is EXTREMELY LOUD and instantly makes your ears start ringing.  So I thought, you never wear earplugs in GTA, so wouldn't it make the game so much more immersive if they made it so when you shoot a gun, the sound would become muffled and your ears would start ringing?  YES. then you would really feel like you were holding a powerful, deadly weapon like in real life.  Anyone who has ever shot a gun without ear plugs knows what I'm talking about.  This is one instace where I think making the game more realistic would be awesome.

I don't think so. I used an M16 outside and really didn't sound deafening. I think the cause is obviously you being inside, but I have never used a gun inside myself, though, so I may be wrong.

EDIT: and it's not even you being inside, just that the area is probably almost entirely closed.

Edited by tenpennyisplainevil

Anyone who says they shoot guns on a regular basis without hearing protection is either lying, shooting a gun with some type of mechanism on it that suppresses the sound, or they have damaged their hearing and don't know it. This is not even debatable. Your ears RINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG if you shoot a gun without hearing protection, that ringing is a sign that you are damaging your ears. Put some f*ckin earplugs in!

Go grab a 40 cal handgun and shoot it without earplugs, i guarantee you'll never choose to do that again. Now, in a high adrenaline situation your brain will block out the ringing sound. The ringing sound will still be there though and after you calm down your ears will be ringing but during the situation your brain will tune it out.

Point is is that it's common sense to use ear protection every time you shoot. Shooting without hearing protection causes damage to your ears and if you don't believe me, keep shooting without protection and in 25 years when you're nearly deaf you'll realize I was right.

Snake Without a Tongue

Red Dead had a massive improvement here.

The standard handgun in gtaIV sounded awful.

It sounds like someone is spitting on a teddybear.

You really get what I mean if you compare it to the

one i TBOGT, That had a lot more punch.

Indeed, this. RDR had really decent gun sound effects. GTAIV sounded like popcorn or something.

Anyone who says they shoot guns on a regular basis without hearing protection is either lying, shooting a gun with some type of mechanism on it that suppresses the sound, or they have damaged their hearing and don't know it.

I hate to play devil's advocate but I have a lot of trashy relatives who are deaf from shooting guns without protection, but don't appreciate how deaf they are, so... that last option is very possible.

Edited by Snake Without a Tongue

Yes. It needs to be louder, for starters. I hate how unrealistically quite it is. Obviously it can't be too realistic because it would destroy your ears and/or speakers, but it should still be louder than it currently is.

izx6.jpg

Stripes1981

What are the 7-8 Lions?

OP: I really hope they have improved the gun sounds from GTA IV. If it sounds anything like the video GeGe posted, then I'd be happy

Why the f*ck would anyone want to have their ears ringing from gunfire playing a god damn video game? You could always just box your own ears with your fists after a fire fight if you want.

fV9tG4b.gif

Snake Without a Tongue

Okay, I'm not sure if there's a communication breakdown here or what, but I thought I was voting yes on sound effects that are more realistic. As in -- boom, whine, fade. Not objectively LOUDER sound effects which makes no sense.

Why the f*ck would anyone want to have their ears ringing from gunfire playing a god damn video game? You could always just box your own ears with your fists after a fire fight if you want.

I'm not saying I want MY ears to be ringing! lol I'm saying I want my CHARACTER'S ears to be ringing. Sorry for the confusion.

I can see this being added, it's a good idea...but it borders on annoyance.

What if you're involved in a massive gun fight during a mission or whatever?

All you'll hear is beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep with everything else being muffled out.

Again, good idea..but I'm not for it.

The lack of ringing, imo, is good for me lol

For those foolish enough to shoot without ear protection:

The 7th Commandment of Firearm Safety:

Always wear eye and ear protection when shooting.

Your sight and hearing risk injury from shooting and should be protected at all times.

Wear protective shooting glasses to guard against falling shot, clay target chips, powder residue, ruptured cartridge cases and even twigs and branches in the field. Also be sure to wear eye protection when you're disassembling or cleaning a gun so that tensioned parts (like springs) and cleaning solvents don't come in contact with your eyes.

Continued exposure to shooting noise can permanently damage your hearing. On the range, where shooting volume is the loudest, be sure to use the maximum protection of a headset. And learn to use earplugs in the field, especially in confined locations like duck blinds.

SGT. Johnson

Your sight and hearing risk injury from shooting and should be protected at all times.

Wear protective shooting glasses to guard against falling shot, clay target chips, powder residue, ruptured cartridge cases and even twigs and branches in the field. Also be sure to wear eye protection when you're disassembling or cleaning a gun so that tensioned parts (like springs) and cleaning solvents don't come in contact with your eyes.

Continued exposure to shooting noise can permanently damage your hearing. On the range, where shooting volume is the loudest, be sure to use the maximum protection of a headset. And learn to use earplugs in the field, especially in confined locations like duck blinds.

Then those who are foolish enough to shoot a weapon without ear protection falls into the category of almost all gangs!

This sounds cool.

One of my favorite missions. Agreed that sounds pretty good.

Then those who are foolish enough to shoot a weapon without ear protection falls into the category of almost all gangs!

Yeah, gangstas dont give a f*ck about dying much less damaging their ears. The protags ears should ring when he shoots a gun.

I think they did a good job in IV.

I like how even the glock makes an echo through the streets. I also like how it's more of a "popping" sound than a big boom.

This sounds cool.

Those sound great.