KONY 2012

Sean_R_LFC

KONY 2012 is a film and campaign by Invisible Children that aims to make Joseph Kony famous, not to celebrate him, but to raise support for his arrest and set a precedent for international justice. This man kidnaps children, children my age to be his sex slaves child soldiers etc and has been invisible for 20 years. The movie is heartwarming and a good watch. I hope some of you can help even if it is only by telling a friend who Joseph Kony is.

Edited by Sean_R_LFC

I'm going to watch this, and keep it open. But please add some more content to give the other members some background information.

4XEtraA.jpg

Great movie, it seems to be getting viral with the eventual tirade of comments coming in.

It boggles me though that MOST of the world doesn't know him. He's inducted on the ICC's most wanted list as number 1. Make him famous, he needs to be locked up for life.

That was a great watch, very effective message. I think jusdging by how large movements e.g. Occupy Movement have been set up almost completely online, this has huge potential if enough people get involved and spread the message whatever way they can. Who cares about economies or who is up for election, caring about other people is what's important and sadly not enough people do.

I hope this works, and I hope it inspires and encourages more people to do the same, in order to stop the important problems that the politicians don't give a toss about if it doesn't threaten their economy or job security.

Perfect example of why things like SOPA can't be allowed. This campaign would never even get 1,000 supporters if it wasn't for the communication links and freedoms of the internet.

Watched it all, from beginning to end, and I must admit, I teared up a little. This has been an amazing watch, it has been so inspirational and I'm so glad to hear something such as this is going on.

I wish the best of luck towards this project, and I myself will do all I can to contribute towards it.

tumblr_mk683ddOTs1rkv9cvo1_250.gif

It boggles me though that MOST of the world doesn't know him.

it doesn't boggle me.

don't you get it?

the reason that the international community ignores stuff like this is very simple; lack of oil.

haven't you ever noticed?

the "civilized" world doesn't bother with issues like this unless there is also a resource/monetary incentive to be had.

the reason no one goes after Kony is the same reason no one is going after Bashar al-Assad even though he's openly using the military to murder his own people in the streets. he's doing the exact same thing that Muammar Gaddafi did. but you saw what happened to Gaddafi. within a matter of months the international community rallied behind the resistance, setup a no-fly zone, and targeted bombing strikes on key military installations.

it all happened so fast and with so little hesitation.

why?

Libya has oil.

why did anyone try to help Kuwait when it was invaded by Iraq?

Kuwait has oil.

if Kuwait had no oil, it would be part of Iraq right now and Saddam Hussein would very well still be alive.

if Libya had no oil, Gaddafi's military would still be gunning down civilians in the street.

that's life.

the civil war conflicts in Central/South Africa go largely ignored by the world because that part of Africa doesn't have much if any oil or other precious resources. it's true that a lot of valuable diamonds and ore comes from Central/South Africa, but those materials can be harvested without having deal with the local problems. it's slave labor, they don't care what else happens as long as the fancy jewelers in Denmark get their precious stones.

Edited by El_Diablo

What is he? The Adolf Hitler of our time? The World's Worst individual?? I doubt he's one of a kind, sadly, there are more then a small number of sickos, what about the teachers at that small school out in California? They were doing horrible sexual abuse of children, if you ask me. Thank the Lord I never knew any of that in my school years, That's just plain WRONG!

HydraulicWaRiOr

What is he? The Adolf Hitler of our time? The World's Worst individual?? I doubt he's one of a kind, sadly, there are more then a small number of sickos, what about the teachers at that small school out in California? They were doing horrible sexual abuse of children, if you ask me. Thank the Lord I never knew any of that in my school years, That's just plain WRONG!

Lol, other people heard about that? I actually live only a couple blocks away from the school. Unless you're referring so somewhere else, I live in Los Angeles.

OT: Personally, I think people are just fighting useless wars. We all know where the course of history takes us. People kill each other. No taxation without representation. Government sucks. Revolution. Overthrow ruler. All of these countries are just experiencing what we and many other Europeans did around the 18th and 19th century. IMO they should just have a revolution, have a civil war, drop a couple of bombs and they'll be ready to join society, but it's nice to see the western world helping africans without putting it on my T.V. and taking half of the profit. Hopefully these people get what they want, one step closer to establishing a more civilized Africa.

Edited by HydraulicWaRiOr

When I initially saw the video yesterday morning, I was all for the Kony 2012 campaign, although there was a slight bit of doubt in my mind at how effective it what be and what exactly we were supporting. I'm not denying that Kony is a war criminal and needs to be caught, but reading this article really does provide from a great opposite prospective to all the bandwagoner's

Saw the video yesterday and spoke to a lot of people about it in uni today. It's a really powerful film and a great campaign to get behind. I couldn't help but feel that the video itself is pretty one-sided though so much so that it actually hurt the message. Without more background on the LRA it comes across as propagandist. A lot of the time, "rebel" groups are fighting for freedom from oppression and such. That's clearly not the case here but labelling these guys rebels and giving little to no backstory is counter-productive, especially in light of the Arab Spring where "rebel" and "freedom fighter" are pretty much synonymous.

As a piece of video though, it's really well put together and definitely made me quite emotional at points, especially with the activist's son it's easy to see how simple these things can be sometimes. The plan, to take this guy to what is effectively celebrity status, is pretty inspired too. They don't need our money as much as they need us to be aware, and to have the outright focus of a campaign be to get this guy as much fame/infamy as possible is interesting. Seems to be working too, my FB news feed is covered with the video hosted on a number of different sites, and I even had a friend from back home ring me up earlier specifically to ask "what's all the Kony stuff blasting around twitter?".

user posted image

Yeah it was a powerful piece. But while watching it I couldn't help but feel I was being force-fed an opinion. I'm always uneasy about anything that borders on militancy and blind, angered faith and the aggression of the campaign- while clearly effective- is concerning. Of course it is a worthy cause but it's a sad state of affairs when this needs to happen to get our governments to take a stand against evil. But as El_Diablo says, why would they if they have nothing to gain from it?

And the proclamation that in April we will see countless cities plastered and covered in graffiti? That's a bit counter productive isn't it? Not only are you breaking the law but you're giving mindless cretins a perceived credibility and licence to go nuts. Wouldn't surprise me if we see some people going too far, like with the guys who raided buildings during the anti-cuts marches in the UK last summer.

But I suppose you can't deny it's a very worthy cause and admirable that someone is standing up for something like this and making it work. It's more than I'll probably ever do with my life. But as I say, can't help but feel uneasy about it.

user posted image

it doesn't boggle me.

don't you get it?

the reason that the international community ignores stuff like this is very simple; lack of oil.

Not to piss on your chips, but

1) Syria is a relatively large oil producer abd even larger refiner, with an extremely valuable strategic position. So your argument is flawed.

2) If Western interventionism is all about oil (or resources in general), why did we invade Afghanistan at enormous cost, why did we intervene in Bosnia, Kosovo and Rwanda, and why haven't we intervened in Nigeria during their tumultuous recent past. What about the resource costs of conflict? What about Wester driven policies like the Kimberley Process?

Apologies for the brevity of this post and the minor derailment, but these absurd fallacies need disputing at every point they rise.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

Damn, that video is blowing up! I saw it yesterday and it didn't even have 100,000 views, now it has over 4 million and still growing!

Great to see it's working, this campaign has huge potential and I really hope it's successful, and that people stick with it untill the end instead of just "being a part of it for teh lulz". Even people in my school were talking about it today, which was especially suprising since most of them are heartless idiots.

The public have missed the boat in what they can do as the only real effective way of capture/killing Kony lays in the hands of the strategy makers.The LRA have been defeated. This has turned into a man hunt and has been part of American foreign policy for 4 years, considering he's been on the most wanted list since 2008. Hence, U.S troops role is of mere consultancy, training and information (a proportionate response, personally). That can be referenced to the Lord’s Resistance Army Disarmament and Northern Uganda Recovery Act 2010. I'm really not sure what raising awareness will do when the disarmament is already in motion. This campaign is about 5 years too late.

The public have missed the boat in what they can do as the only real effective way of capture/killing Kony lays in the hands of the strategy makers.The LRA have been defeated. This has turned into a man hunt and has been part of American foreign policy for 4 years, considering he's been on the most wanted list since 2008. Hence, U.S troops role is of mere consultancy, training and information (a proportionate response, personally). That can be referenced to the Lord’s Resistance Army Disarmament and Northern Uganda Recovery Act 2010. I'm really not sure what raising awareness will do when the disarmament is already in motion. This campaign is about 5 years too late.

This pretty much sums it up. He was indicted in 2005. He remains at the top of the ICC watch list because of his historic crimes, but the LRA aren't exactly operating in any realistic capacity any more. And whilst I think it's a good idea to increase public awareness of this individual and the events he contributed to- not least because organisations such as Boko Harem are going the same way elsewhere in sub-Saharan Africa- why give him special privilege and focus over the dozens of other individuals currently involved in the same activities elsewhere- the Sudan Peoples Liberation Army being a notable example, as well as the UPDF. In the case of the former, the individuals responsible for actions almost identical to those of Kony, over a period almost as long, are being happily integrated back into the South Sudanese regular armed forces after the split between South and North Sudan- and their leader hasn't even been discussed, let alone indicted.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

Luna Fortuna
it doesn't boggle me.

don't you get it?

1) Syria is a relatively large oil producer abd even larger refiner, with an extremely valuable strategic position. So your argument is flawed.

2) If Western interventionism is all about oil (or resources in general), why did we invade Afghanistan at enormous cost, why did we intervene in Bosnia, Kosovo and Rwanda, and why haven't we intervened in Nigeria during their tumultuous recent past. What about the resource costs of conflict? What about Wester driven policies like the Kimberley Process?

Apologies for the brevity of this post and the minor derailment, but these absurd fallacies need disputing at every point they rise.

Not trying to start a big debate or go off topic to much, but wasn't there something about an oil pipeline in Afghanistan?

it doesn't boggle me.

don't you get it?

Not trying to start a big debate or go off topic to much, but wasn't there something about an oil pipeline in Afghanistan?

Yes. Off the top of my head it is to the Caspien Sea or something. It is also the largest opium supply in the world at something like 80 to 90 percent. Also some kind of precious metal in the mountains that is used in modern technology. Foreign powers have been trying to stabalize that country for a very, very, very long time and apparently none have been successful.

There was an oil pipeline proposed in the late 1990s by a multinational consortium that never came to fruition. There's investment currently underway in a natural gas pipeline linking Afghanistan to Pakistan, India and Turkmenistan but that's bankrolled by India and China predominantly, so nothing to do with the conflict- and it's also still just a proposal.

Untitled-1.jpg

READ FIRST: I posted this as a response in a different topic so it may seem slightly inaccurate in terms of grammar.

*Sigh*, he is a bad man. There is no denying that however, that film is very flawed. The narrator is very manipulative in the use of his son in the video and gives no facts or figures as to the atrocities committed by Kony (he also classified the LRA as rebels, they are not). Furthermore, he is clearly very naive in believing that they can capture this man whom they have no idea where he is and is unlikely to give up peacefully or alive. Finally, it seemed like an effort to promote himself and his charity rather than the actual problem. Oh and I've also heard they donate to the Ugandan army, who aren't angels themselves, and have made profit from the film (whether that is true or not I don't know).

Don't take this the wrong way, I would love too see him captured or killed but it will be very difficult and to be honest, there are much more pressing human rights issues taking place such as the Syrian crisis. Unfortunately, this will just divert attention away from matters that need immediate attention. This is kind of comparable to the Hungarian rising of 1956, in which attention was diverted from a legitimate uprising against the Soviet Union, to the British "invasion" of the Suez in the same year. It is sad, but don't expect to rid the world of an evil man through charity.

A source providing information to back my claims up (may not be the most trustworthy but make of it what you will): http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/

A source providing information to back my claims up (may not be the most trustworthy but make of it what you will): http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/

The author of this, I know him personally. He's in several of my classes at university and needless to say, he's a pretty smart guy. His article has been going viral and he's been getting phone calls and emails from media outlets left and right all day for interviews.

Edited by Ryan

AnotherDave

This is worth a read. Interesting stuff about the less positive side of Invisible Children.

E: Oops, I missed that Ochy had already posted the link.

hW0sZKX.png

The author of this, I know him personally. He's in several of my classes at university and needless to say, he's a pretty smart guy. His article has been going viral and he's been getting phone calls from media outlets left and right all day for interviews.

That's cool, I'll take your word for it but I won't take everything he's said at face value you know. Both sides have interesting points to make.

Guns N R0se

children my age

lol wut.

Edit: Also, I didn't watch the video, but I clicked certain points. Is this taking place in Africa? Because I feel it's not all that uncommon over there...

Edited by Guns N R0se

SlickSpencer8

I will have to admit, this did tear me up as well. Why do people have such sick minds to make girls sex slaves, and make young men kill their own parents. absolutely absurd behavior. detestable

SlickSpencer8
Is this taking place in Africa? Because I feel it's not all that uncommon over there...

Watch and find out. If you cared enough, you would watch the whole video icon13.gif

Fantastic video. I think its an amazing time in history to be able to spread the word like wildfire on ANY issue. Just look what happened with the London Riots, and the uprising in other countries due to the fast nature of sending tweets/emails/facebook messages etc. I think it would be a great idea to go out there and spread the world through whatever technology you have.

user posted image

[img=http://i.imgur.com/WZKPg.jpg]

user posted image

[img=http://i.imgur.com/bMefo.jpg]

user posted image

[img=http://i.imgur.com/rSFOj.jpg]

user posted image

[img=http://i.imgur.com/Y8ur2.jpg]

user posted image

[img=http://i.imgur.com/51nsn.jpg]

user posted image

[img=http://i.imgur.com/iFq3G.jpg]