Advertising

Mister Pink

Mister Pink

I recently noticed youtube plastered with ads for The Raven and where I live ads to visit Belfast. f*cking sick of it. We were having a dirty session that went on all night, then to an early-house pub then back to an apartment party that went all day so there was a fair bit of youtubeness going on. Every time I wanted to hear some NWA or some Aphex Twin this track kept coming on or a f*cking ad for The Raven. I wont bother reposting it, lol.

Will you continue to use youtube if they have so many ads or will you draw a line and use another site with less ads?

The trouble with me and YouTube is that it's the go-to site whenever I want to watch something. I use it nigh on constantly, and I don't even realise I'm doing it. Much like Wikipedia, I find myself drifting to it whenever I feel bored or want to check something, especially when I'm out and about. Luckily I haven't had the misfortune to experience local adverts, though constant badgering at the beginning of more hit-heavy videos does get irritating, more so when I have to wait 15 seconds so I can dismiss it. This may sound like a first world problem, but the thing about the internet is that people are used to information and entertainment on-demand, with very little waiting time. Services like Spotify and Wikipedia have spoiled us for years with seemingly endless content that we can access anywhere. While the recent takeover of YouTube by search giants Google, we're going to see more and more relevant content advertised and there isn't a damn thing we can do about it.

The other trouble with me is because this YouTube trawling is often subconscious, I'm not too sure of where else to look for videos. The only other sites I know that host videos of that quantity are Google Videos (see above) and Hulu, who seem touch and go when it comes to international content streaming. I haven't been so annoyed by an advert that I think "well balls to you YouTube, I'll use a competitor". More often than not, competition rely more heavily on adverts because they're less well known and can't support themselves like YouTube can. I don't know where the limit is, but as it happens, we're going to see more and more adverts. If there's an alternative out there, I haven't found it.

I live half of the year in London and the other half in China, we dont get Youtube or Facebook or Twitter in China but thankfully Wikipedia is fine (only pages to do with tiananmen square, tibet etc are blocked)

I'd choose youtube with ads over no youtube any day

eLqskO3.png

He's talking about inline ads that preface the videos and yeah, they suck. ABP doesn't block that sh*t, although I do have it and I never see those on Youtube.

jMNM8n3.gif

He's talking about inline ads that preface the videos and yeah, they suck. ABP doesn't block that sh*t, although I do have it and I never see those on Youtube.

Because Adblock does block that sh*t. sigh.gif

Oh, I know, still haven't seen one while running Firefox in years, only on other people's browsers that aren't running Ad-block so it's fair to make the assumption it does block them, since I don't have any other add-ons that do anything like blocking external advertisements.

I think the ads he's talking about are targeted to his location. I haven't seen inline ads on YT for ages, but I still see them on other sites like Hulu and network TV sites. FF 10.0.2/ABP 2.0.3.

Edit - See if this works for you, TPFS.

http://adblockvideo.com/

Edited by Voodoo

jMNM8n3.gif

Mister Pink

Thanks for the link Voodoo. I used to have adblock on my old laptop. I must see if there's an adblock that works for Safari or will I just need to use firefox?

And yes, I'm talking about the inline ads at the start of a video. I though Adblock still couldn't block those ones? I must be wrong.

And Outcast, I appreciate what you're saying but its not really the point. Youtube wasn't so ad-intrusive before. I really just wanted to see how much ads, in general, bother people.

I know in the US advertising is more prominent and frequent. For example, we see the edits for where commercials go in the likes of Oprah that we don't get here. I couldn't live with that many commercial breaks. I can't really stand them as they are.

You can see the allure of Barry Warez -commercial free-TV. People are pay T.V. licenses only for the actual t.v-viewing decreasing and advertising rising.

Do we just take it? Or do we be proactive about it?

At about 7mins in this video Lazlow mentions some interesting things about advertising on the radio.

na89340qv0n34b09q340

I can see this thread becoming a circlejerk. I use ad-block, and never get ads, but I do miss some ads, like those Evony ones.

user posted image

F*ck yeah!

Youtube ads, and video ads in general become a huge annoyance on sites like Cinemassacre, or That Guy With The Glasses, because you go there to maybe watch a few videos, but because most users are using ad-blocking software they have to hit you with a 30 second ad that won't be blocked.

t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m

I forgot that Youtube had ads.

AdBlock Plus blocks all ads for me. Including the in-video ones.

I thought to include another laughable news tidbit, AOL pulling ads from the Rush Limbdick show, well, I never listen to him, what can I say, but AOL advertising on radio!? I swear I can't recall anything like that in a long time

Anywho, YouTube is Google, and they DO WANT to OWN the WORLD, or at least run it

The Tech Web side of things, YouTube ads for the most part do allow you to close them, or jump over a bumper video clip lead-in after 4 or 5 seconds, but it's basically to keep it free, while presumably expanding some feature or function that wasn't there before (and when it was a FREE medium)

MrDanceWithLance

Regardless of whever YouTube has ads or not, I would still use it. Almost all the good videos are on YouTube, and I reckon it is easy to use. It can be also used to get news. Also, you can just skip the video ads to watch your video clip faster.