4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Jonesizzle

NFL Discussion

interpolfan11
Junior Seau found dead in his home... cops suspect suicide.

As a Charger fan for many years, this is absolutely tragic. Junior Seau was not only one of the greatest ILBs of all time, but a fantastic person as well. I still can't believe he's gone.

RIP Junior Seau sad.gif

Capricornus

Heard about the Junior Seau possible suicide on the radio while at work. Very horrible news indeed. R.I.P

El Dildo

no signs of foul play but no suicide note either.

very strange circumstances.

most gunshot suicides are not to the chest, they're to the head and/or mouth.

hambones
no signs of foul play but no suicide note either.

very strange circumstances.

most gunshot suicides are not to the chest, they're to the head and/or mouth.

if you remember dave duerson, he committed suicide last year by a gunshot to the chest so he could preserve his brain for study on CTE... that's not to say seau did the same thing but why else would he do that. who knows what was going through his head, when you're thinking suicide you're not having rational thoughts.

i read this article by trevor pryce, he only retired last year. it's a good read and something to think about. it's very timely.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/sports/f...ired-of-it.html

something to keep in mind is that this is the 3rd retired NFL player to commit suicide in the last 15 months.

El Dildo
who knows what was going through his head

no one does.

and that was my only point.

it's very weird.

he was such a cheerful guy.

darthYENIK

Man. Back when the Rams and Raiders left LA. There was a few years there when the only football jerseys I saw at school or anywhere really, were Junior Seau jerseys. Not gonna say I'm a fan, but that guy had an impact on southern California that most professional athletes can only wish to have in any region.

Jonesizzle

A couple years ago Seau was suspected of trying to commit suicide when he (from what I remember) drove off of a cliff, but denied it being suicide. I'll second diablo's opinion on this whole thing being fishy.

GTA3Rockstar
something to keep in mind is that this is the 3rd retired NFL player to commit suicide in the last 15 months.

The 8th Charger from Super Bowl XXIX to have died, 18 years.

RIP Seau!

interpolfan11

The 8th Charger from Super Bowl XXIX to have died, 18 years.

RIP Seau!

It's the San Diego Sports Curse.

• Linebacker David Griggs wrecked his car in Davie, Fla., in 1995. Tests showed he was legally drunk. He was 28.

• Running back Rodney Culver was killed in the ValuJet airplane crash in Florida in 1996. He was 26.

• Linebacker Doug Miller was struck by lightning in 1998 in Colorado. He was 28.

• Center Curtis Whitley died of a drug overdose in 2008. He was 39.

• Defensive end Chris Mims died from an enlarged heart in 2008. He was 38.

• Defensive lineman Shawn Lee suffered a heart attack in February 2011. He was 44.

• Linebacker Lew Bush also suffered a heart attack, in December 2011. He was 42.

• Seau died of a gunshot wound to the chest, which police are investigating as a suicide. He was 43

Funktipus

Just a horrible story. RIP to one of the NFL's all-time greats.

tubbs51

@Interpol: whats even crazier is that Doug Miller was struck by lightning TWICE during that camping trip in Colorado.

B Rob

@Interpol: whats even crazier is that Doug Miller was struck by lightning TWICE during that camping trip in Colorado.

So much for the old saying lightning never strikes in the same place twice.

Also Seau's death now is officially ruled a suicide by investigators.

Funktipus

Now the NFL has a class-action lawsuit to deal with.

tubbs51

The preseason is going to be entertaining for the Seahawks... Pete Carroll originally said the starting QB spot will be between Jackson and Flynn... now after a rookie minicamp, Pete has now thrown 3rd round pick Russell Wilson...

Now you have the choice of A. The Rookie, B. The Backup to Aaron Rodgers, or C. Future backup to either A or B.

interpolfan11

The preseason is going to be entertaining for the Seahawks... Pete Carroll originally said the starting QB spot will be between Jackson and Flynn... now after a rookie minicamp, Pete has now thrown 3rd round pick Russell Wilson...

Now you have the choice of A. The Rookie, B. The Backup to Aaron Rodgers, or C. Future backup to either A or B.

I can't see them not giving the job to Flynn. 3rd round rookie quarterbacks don't usually get the chance to start, and I believe the last one that did (Colt McCoy) failed to keep his job.

Edited by interpolfan11

Grandal.

I love Wilson as a college player but trying to succeed in the NFL as a 5' 10" QB, he has a rough road ahead of him to say the least. I am more curious to see the new Nike uniforms in action, looks like the Sea Chickens got the biggest overhaul wink.gif .

I am pretty convinced this is my Chicago Bears year if Forte can bring himself to sign his franchise tag and work on a long term deal. Our WR's went from Hester/Knox to B. Marshal/A. Jefferies who are both 6' 4" +. Add that in with our gravy schedule and this is the best I have felt coming into a season in a long time.

Funktipus

To me, this is a free year for my Giants after an incredible playoff/SB run. They have a brutal schedule, so you won't hear repeat from me. NFC is loaded - 49ers should be the early favorite.

The other NY team will be one big soap opera. LOTS of pressure on Sanchez. Already players like Revis are praising Tebow for his leadership and work ethic. That's going to be a fun locker room if Sanchez struggles.

AmyJones
To me, this is a free year for my Giants after an incredible playoff/SB run. They have a brutal schedule, so you won't hear repeat from me. NFC is loaded - 49ers should be the early favorite.

The other NY team will be one big soap opera. LOTS of pressure on Sanchez. Already players like Revis are praising Tebow for his leadership and work ethic. That's going to be a fun locker room if Sanchez struggles.

I think Tebow is going to struggle hard this year, I just see it. He is not gonna get the same media outlook and that will effect him.

Runey

I think Tebow is going to struggle hard this year, I just see it. He is not gonna get the same media outlook and that will effect him.

I think so as well. He's just not that good of a passer, and at the quarterback position, you need to be. I get that he's big and strong, but if he's one dimensional, he won't be effective at all.

(You should see the hell I get for saying that from the Tebow fans I know. They get super pissed.)

El Dildo

I still don't understand why people want to make Tebow a passer.

he could be better than he is now, I'm sure, but I don't think he'll ever be a great starting quarterback.

I think it's fairly evident that his most natural gifts are running, both in the open field and through tight spaces.

if he's ever going to be great at a position, it might be running back or corner.

they should convert him while he's PRIME and malleable and absorbing everything like the 6ft, 250lb beast he is.

great hands, not a great arm.

great legs, not great footwork in the pocket.

great vision, not great poise under pressure.

you could work on some of those things and maybe/eventually see above average results.

or you could mold that raw talent and make it fit into the place it was naturally supposed to go.

he seems like such an obvious offensive weapon.

why anyone (including Tim) feels like he has to prove himself as JUST a quarterback is beyond me. it really feels counter-intuitive.

but hey, with the Jets and Rex Ryan you honestly never know what could happen.

they might start marching him out there on the occasional Special Teams or screen play as an open receiver just to see what happens. next thing you know he's lining up alongside Sanchez every other play making the defense crazy; is he simply gonna' block for someone? is he gonna' take a handoff? is he gonna' fake a block and open up on a passing route down the line? is he going to catch a lateral from Sanchez and then throw his own pass? is he going to get the ball from Sanchez, fake like he's going to run, and then lateral it back to Sanchez so Mark can make a pass?

if the Jets were creative they could create a powerful offensive Ace-in-the-hole for a variety of standard and trick plays.

Runey
I still don't understand why people want to make Tebow a passer.

he could be better than he is now, I'm sure, but I don't think he'll ever be a great starting quarterback.

I think it's fairly evident that his most natural gifts are running, both in the open field and through tight spaces.

if he's ever going to be great at a position, it might be running back or corner.

they should convert him while he's PRIME and malleable and absorbing everything like the 6ft, 250lb beast he is.

great hands, not a great arm.

great legs, not great footwork in the pocket.

great vision, not great poise under pressure.

you could work on some of those things and maybe/eventually see above average results.

or you could mold that raw talent and make it fit into the place it was naturally supposed to go.

he seems like such an obvious offensive weapon.

why anyone (including Tim) feels like he has to prove himself as JUST a quarterback is beyond me. it really feels counter-intuitive.

but hey, with the Jets and Rex Ryan you honestly never know what could happen.

they might start marching him out there on the occasional Special Teams or screen play as an open receiver just to see what happens. next thing you know he's lining up alongside Sanchez every other play making the defense crazy; is he simply gonna' block for someone? is he gonna' take a handoff? is he gonna' fake a block and open up on a passing route down the line? is he going to catch a lateral from Sanchez and then throw his own pass? is he going to get the ball from Sanchez, fake like he's going to run, and then lateral it back to Sanchez so Mark can make a pass?

if the Jets were creative they could create a powerful offensive Ace-in-the-hole for a variety of standard and trick plays.

I agree with you 100%, he would be better off playing another position.

Funktipus
(You should see the hell I get for saying that from the Tebow fans I know. They get super pissed.)

I've debated the Tebow nut-huggers too. Their knowledge of football couldn't fill a thimble. They love the dude for things other than football.

El Dildo
They love the dude for things other than football.

hmmm, I wonder what that could be...

user posted image

Jonesizzle

People tend to forget he lead... yes.. lead the Broncos to the playoffs. He obviously isn't the great "traditional" QB you want, but he does get the job done.

El Dildo
People tend to forget he lead... yes.. lead the Broncos to the playoffs.

to be fair, people also tend to forget that the Broncos play in a terrible division which is open to any contender pretty much any year.

their schedule hasn't been tough for at least a decade.

the Broncos had a marvelous run but it was far from miraculous in its own right.

Funktipus

More credit should go to Denver's defense for keeping them in games until Tebow found his groove late in the 4th quarter. The kid is a good football player/leader - I just don't think much of his QB skills. Can he get better? Elway didn't think so. He'd rather have an old Peyton Manning coming off neck surgery than Tebow.

Jonesizzle

The defense gets their credit, no doubt. But I didn't see Kyle Orton winning games for them. People hate on Tebow and I understand, he's over-hyped and over-analyzed but he gets the job done at QB. He lead the team into the playoffs and beat the Steelers in OT. I'm telling you guys now, Ryan and the Jets (fans/management) will throw Sanchez to the sharks and let Tebow start, once they do that they need to be running a option college offense for Tebow, and they will win games if their defense can step up to the plate like they've done in previous years.

Funktipus
The defense gets their credit, no doubt. But I didn't see Kyle Orton winning games for them. People hate on Tebow and I understand, he's over-hyped and over-analyzed but he gets the job done at QB. He lead the team into the playoffs and beat the Steelers in OT. I'm telling you guys now, Ryan and the Jets (fans/management) will throw Sanchez to the sharks and let Tebow start, once they do that they need to be running a option college offense for Tebow, and they will win games if their defense can step up to the plate like they've done in previous years.

Dude, when they signed Tebow, I said it was a complete no-faith in Sanchez. Did you read Revis' quotes?

interpolfan11

Tebow's "clutch play" and winning was a product of the Denver defense. Almost every QB in the NFL could have done what Tebow did, only it wouldn't have taken them until two minutes left in the game to finally come through for their team.

Let's just look at each game separately:

*Win vs Raiders: Denver defense gave up 24 points by the middle of the 3rd quarter, but Tebow rallied back and lifted his team to victory. Although it is worth noting that Tebow only threw one pass after the opening drive of the second half.

*Win vs Chiefs: Denver defense only gave up 10 points.

*Win vs Jets: Denver defense only gave up 13 points.

*Win vs Chargers: Denver only gave up 13 points and San Diego played like idiots all game long. Norv even decided to settle for a 53-yard field goal in OT for the win rather than driving to get better field position. This led to Prater's game-winning field goal.

*Win vs Vikings: The only game in which Tebow rose above being an awful NFL starting QB. I think this game may be the highlight of his career because he incredibly well when his defense played like crap.

*Win vs Bears: Denver defense only gave up 10 points and Tebow wouldn't have gotten the opportunity to win if Marion Barber didn't run out of bounds at the end of the game and if Barber didn't fumble in OT. This game was handed to Tebow.

*Loss vs Patriots: Denver defense played horribly and Tebow went down with a whimper.

*Loss vs Bills: See Patriots game.

*Loss vs Chiefs: Denver defense only gave up 7 points, but Tebow still allowed his team to lose.

*Win vs Steelers: Denver defense gave up 23 points, but what was lost in that game was the defensive stand that the Broncos defense made late in the fourth quarter to allow the game to reach overtime. With the Steelers at the Denver 45 yard line with less than 90 seconds to play, Broncos defensive end Elvis Dumervil jarred the ball loose as he sacked quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. The Steelers would recover the ball, but not before losing 10 yards on the play.

*Loss vs Patriots: Denver defense played horribly, and once again, Tebow went down with a whimper.

Overall, there were six occasions during the final 11 weeks of the season that the defense was able to hold their opponents to 15 points or less. During those six games the Broncos went 5-1, only a 7-3 loss in the season finale to Kansas City in which Tebow played his worst game of the season prevented that record from being perfect. Comparatively, when the defense has struggled, the Broncos have struggled mightily. Four times during that same 11 game span the Broncos defense surrendered 30 points or more and only once did Tim Tebow manage to bail out his defense.

And I haven't even mentioned that NFL defensive coordinators didn't know what to expect from Tebow in 2011. His impact was actually very similar to that of the Wildcat formation back in 2008. Since the wildcat formation has since struggled to work for any team that uses it, I would expect the same from Tebow if he ever gets the opportunity to start for the Jets.

El Oso Blanco

I just hope My Falcons can score more than 2 points in a playoff game next year...