Challenges?

RearNaked

Hi Guys,

I've had a look at the challenges using the search function, and I haven't found much that interests me. I like the idea of playing through the game using nother other than a pistol, but not killing as few people as possible or playing without the HUD (as that would be too hard when looking for the trucks for Faustin).

Do any of you play through the full game with any specific challenges?

The TV trucks are easy, they follow pre-determined routes. The first truck you pull will always be fake but you have to pull it to spawn the correct truck which will have a driver and a passenger (who will shoot at you).

a challenge I do is playing through as fast as possible sort of like a speed run, never dying and visiting the gun shop only once (you have to buy a micro smg, Dimitri's 'present'). I've done this many times to the point I've forgotten how many times I've completed it, normally something goes wrong, random traffic spawns that see's a 'mission specific vehicle' on it's roof which fails the whole thing lol. It's fun in that you surprise yourself with how seemingly straightforward missions can be finished very quickly e.g Portrait Of a Killer, don't bother with police car just drive to the location and wipe them all out there and then.

StonersDarkness

challenges... well deffinatly no cheats (and that is pretty hard for the older GTA games), and im currently trying to complete TLAD's story without dying (this will be challenging) icon14.gif

Actually the television trucks are simple really to identify (and do run pre-set routes as stated above) - the legit ones only have one person in the cab, wherein the one which is running the TV's has two - one is the gunman (riding 'shotgun') and the other the driver. I've always suspected that you can get the truck with the minimum of trouble by simply pulling that one over and then popping the shotgun in the face through the windshield - before turning all of your attention to the driver - both men are disposable. In most instances I discover that the first two you check are always decoys, wherein the third is the one you want - but of course it really comes down to which one you stop first.

Oh, StonersDarkness - you may find that when playing The Lost and Damned that there are times when retreating to a nice safe distance and rearming, not to mention getting fresh armor is an excellent tactic to adopt. Since most of the real danger to you will take place during the Biker Wars and since the NPC's are programmed to hunt you down, you can hit 'em hard and then run - get rearmed and then pick them off one by one as you see fit. You can also briefly abandon your bike and take to buildings, go over walls and the like and hit them from places of concealment. Any tactic is acceptable. Of course, if you want to take them on bike-to-bike, you are going to sustain more damage. It is entirely up to you what tactics you use.

Edited by Karjerker

StonersDarkness

i hear ya Karjerker, i have had problems with the Gang Wars and dieing, lol, normally i do go bike Vs bike... lol and end up horribly dieing, so i know i have to think about different aproches to the Gang Wars (because of course your "brothers" are sh*t in combat lol)

The thing about the Biker Wars is that you are unprotected for the most part - no cage (car/truck), man ... it is only when you start fighting bike to bike that you appreciate how much protection a cage provides. The enemy bikers have real problems when it comes to unconventional terrain - take them into the stock yards in Alderney, take them into the old gas processing works - anywhere where you can get a tactical advanage and more importantly where you can bottle them up. I once took out elevan bikers all at once by bottling them up into a yard and then riding my bike out of the back and shoving a grenade up their asses from a nice comfortable distance - KABOOOOM. Instant roadkill. Just remember, these cats are armed and have wallets, so unless the sight of former brothers (or those scumbag Angels of Death) lying all over the place upsets your lunch, wade into the gore and help yourself ... they don't need it anymore. Biker Wars are fun when you know how to make your enemy bleed.

REPLY TO: synchro_w

RE: Your post below.

Indeed, pulling the handlebars up like that does offer protection but there are problems which need to be considered. For one thing you have a helluva good chance of losing your front tyre and you will discover your stability goes all to hell in the process. However, the weapon of choice for biker wars seems to be the one Johnny is armed with at the beginning - the sawn-off shotgun which has an effective maim/kill range of between twenty and ten feet with a wide dispersal zone. If an enemy is off of their bike, they're no longer a problem. The quickest way of stopping any Angel of Death van is to take out the driver - simply pull ahead of them and aim backwards, wherein a machine pistol or SMG makes short work of him. His "shotgun" rider and accompanying outriders can also be taken down fairly easily after this. To do this, dismount from your bike and crouch down, using the bike as a makeshift shield and use a semi-automatic weapon to spread the bad news. Remember, if in doubt or when up against superior numbers - retreat and find a place where you can make the enemy come to you. The only weapon enemies might have which may cause you any concern is dynamite or molotovs - which if deployed need to be taken seriously. The best way to fight enemies with those weapons is to withdraw out of their immediate range and then if you have a snip rifle, identify and take down the ones throwing these weapons before going back to more conventional close-in-and-personal tactics once more.

Edited by Karjerker

aw, man!!! i gotta get tLatD and tBoGT!!! biker wars? that sounds great!! i loved the gang wars in GTASA. i often reloaded just to try different tactics/approaches. sure i saw both these games on one dvd for about £5 somewhere!! MUST GET IT!!!

ps, has anyone noticed how many cards with free 'gold' month redeemable code there are in so many 2nd hand games? i musta had about 6 months worth of gold membership w xbox360 from unused redeemable cards. i only just found that my copy of GTAIV had a free month in it and it is about 3 yrs old!!it's surprising how many ppl have consoles but never think to use them online. the more the merrier, i say. being a skinflint, 2nd hand is my only way of owning games.

EDIT: i just remembered, karjerker. you can use a bike for 'some' protection. if you press forward on L stick [pushing back means niko stands] you get a small amount of cover from the bike's handlebars and you can still shoot from this crouched position. it's a little awkward and takes practice but i find the fairings on the 900RR gives you a lotta cover so the bike takes all the damage and only a small part of niko is visible from the front. also, the sanchez [?], the trail bike? that looks like it has high handlebars so will give you cover if you 'hunker down' close to the fuel tank. even from the side, niko in the 'racing' position has a much lower profile. even if it's only a 15% cover bonus it all adds up. and being able to fire from this position gives niko a better chance of survival during head to head firefights.

Edited by synchro_w

I've been playing IV on manual aim with the basic aiming reticule. Also, I'm trying not to use anything to heal myself other than healing kits and body armour that I find during missions.

I'm just about to start the mission where you rescue Roman from his kidnappers, and I'm yet to buy food, body armour or weapons. Infact, I've also made a point of not using gun stores, although that's not much of a challenge as weapons are dropped often. I've yet to die so far, of course.