PlayStation 3 Exclusive

MIKON8ERISBACK

This. icon14.gif

Think about it - ... why would Rockstar* risk such a loss on their "largest and most ambitious game" they've yet created?

It doesn't add up.

Finally, someone who understands. I didn't think what I was explaining was rocket science. icon14.gif

Considering the GTA V trailer appeared on the Xbox 360 dashboard shortly after its launch back in November, I believe it's pretty safe to assume that the game will not be a PS3 exclusive. wink.gif

I don't think you are a troll, but I do think that you have to seriously consider what you are saying.

Keep in mind I own a PS3, not a 360. I am not biased, just honest.

You are saying that R* is willing to give up 60-65% of the cover market on the day of launch.

Even if it was only a 6 month or a 1 yr exclusivity, R* would be literally pissing away millions of dollars by not being able to cover all bases. Sony has been losing money hand over fist due to a lot of reasons but the bleeding is there.

So the answer is... Can/would Sony cover the cost of the millions of dollars R* would technically be losing on launch day by not being on both platforms?

Yeah right.

So I want you to think again about your OP and realize that this is just not going to happen.

At best we can expect exclusive items (gamestop preorder for example like RDR) or limited items for each console, but we will not see an exclusive PS3 launch for GTA V.

Edited by GamerToons

Original Light
This. icon14.gif

Think about it - ... why would Rockstar* risk such a loss on their "largest and most ambitious game" they've yet created?

It doesn't add up.

Finally, someone who understands. I didn't think what I was explaining was rocket science. icon14.gif

I agree. Think about how much higher the sales will be compared to GTA IV in the first place, since GTA is better known in comparison to four years ago.

Xbox 360 also sold more copies than PS3, so I wouldn't imagine it being a PS3 exclusive.

I dont think that will happen, Rockstar doesn't want to lose the money they will get from xbox 360 sales

GTAV will be released on PS3 and Xbox360 period.... Just use your common sense... sigh.gif

GTAV will be released on PS3 and Xbox360 period.... Just use your common sense... sigh.gif

icon14.gif My thoughts exactly.

No. It'll be released on Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and PC.

Yeah I forget to include the PC. To all people outder saying that GTAV will be PS3 exclusive are Dumb!!! dozingoff.gif

Triple Vacuum Seal

What part of multiple discs don't "PS3 exclusive" retards understand?

@Cole Phelps Gta it is very different actually. PS3 and Xbox 360 are both seven gen consoles despite what the fanboys would have you believe. PS2 is on the sixth gen so no sh*t it can't handle GTAIV.

I rest my case and would like to go on the record by forecast a console war. monocle.gif

xbox 360 and ps3 are the same. only difference is the data on the discs (BLURAY, HDDVD)

they can both do the same sh*t, they can both run the same sh*t, uncharted easily could work on xbox 360, halo reach could easily work on ps3.

same with GTA V, expect minimum differences between the 2.

Not this sh*t again.

I believe this has been said over and over again, but the money isn't being made in whether or not how better system one another is. They would be losing a lot of cash by going exclusive on a console when the only benefits it would do is aiding fans of the PS3. I mean, unless R* gets paid out by Sony to get the game maybe six months early, it's not going to happen.

Uncharted easily could work on xbox 360

Hmm.. I dont want to sound like a Fanboy. but the Uncharted series (esp.Uncharted 3) would NEVER work on xbox 360, Becuase well.. Uncharted 3 is 44 GB in size which equals to more than 5 xbox 360 DVDs, also xbox 360 cant handle that type of graphics! I could understand if you said inFAMOUS, Resistance, LittleBigPlanet..etc BUT Uncharted would NEVER work on xbox 360! Naughty Dog already confirmed this.

Only way I see this happening is if Sony throws some serious $$$ at R* and it would have to be more than $100 million for it to happen.

Rumor has it that Microsoft paid anywhere from $50 to $80 for the time based exclusive right to the episodic content for GTA IV (The Lost & The Damned & The Ballad Of Gay Tony).

Peter Moore the then head of XBOX 360 was being a dumb ass touting a GTA IV tattoo on his arm at E3 2006.

Microsoft was thinking by having the time based exclusive that the episodic content would be a system seller since it's well known that during the PS2 era when Sony had a time based exclusive deal with R* where GTA III, GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas all released 1 full year ahead of the XBOX ports and did pay off for Sony and did cause people to buy a PS2 just for GTA.

The Microsoft deal for time based exclusive for the GTA IV exclusive content.

It wasn't a rumor.

Microsoft Paying $50M for GTA IV Episodic Content

When Take-Two Interactive laid out their 2007 and 2008 release schedule, they casually left out PlayStation 3 in the column detailing the episodic content for Grand Theft Auto IV. There's a reason for that: Microsoft is paying $50 million for exclusivity. Take-Two revealed the financial details during a Q&A session regarding their shareholders conference call for their most recent quarter.

This isn't the first time Microsoft's leveraged their financial war chest with Grand Theft Auto IV, as 1UP previously heard the company paid at least $5 million to announce the game first at their E3 2006 press conference. Take-Two says the first wave of episodic content will arrive on Xbox 360 in March 2008, with another batch scheduled later in "fiscal 08."

"The first 25 [million] is for the first episodic content package that's supposed to go out and that is in March of '08. That's why it moved into current because it's in the next 12 months. The second 25 [million] will be for the second episodic, the episode, and that will be later in fiscal '08," said Lainie Goldstein, Take-Two's new CFO.

Earlier in the conference call, Chairman of the Board Strauss Zelnick addressed the difficulty in addressing the differences between multiplatform releases:

"Obviously we've episodic content coming for X-Box 360 for the title and because the consoles do differ, there will be some differences in the games. My kids actually have three game consoles at home and sometimes play the same titles on different consoles and they see some differences and they find that compelling. So there'll be -- these obviously are not going to be identical experiences but they are going to be very, very close."

Does this mean PS3 won't receive GTA IV episodic content? Not necessarily, but Rockstar Games isn't saying anything...yet.

Source:

http://www.1up.com/news/microsoft-paying-50m-gta-episodic

What dumb asses Microsoft are.

That was a $55 million lesson.

Edited by kb24sd

EASTC0AST_GH05T
The next question is the Xbox 360's physical hardware vs the PS3s. CPU clock speed, RAM, etc.

They're almost exactly the same.

Xbox 360 - 500 Million Triangles/sec

PS3 - 250 Million Triangles/sec

Vertex Shader Processing

Xbox 360 - 6.0 Billion Vertices/sec (using all 48 Unified Pipelines)

Xbox 360 - 2.0 Billion Vertices/sec (using only 16 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)

Xbox 360 - 1.5 Billion Vertices/sec (using only 12 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)

Xbox 360 - 1.0 Billion Vertices/sec (using only 8 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)

PS3 - 1.0 Billion Vertices/sec

Filtered Texture Fetch

Xbox 360 - 8.0 Billion Texels/sec

PS3 - 12.0 Billion Texels/sec

Vertex Texture Fetch

Xbox 360 - 8.0 Billion Texels/sec

PS3 - 4.0 Billion Texels/sec

Pixel Shader Processing with 16 Filtered Texels Per Cycle (Pixel ALU x Clock)

Xbox 360 - 24.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using all 48 Unified Pipelines)

Xbox 360 - 20.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using 40 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)

Xbox 360 - 18.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using 36 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)

Xbox 360 - 16.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using 32 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)

PS3 - 16.0 Billion Pixels/sec

Pixel Shader Processing without Textures (Pixel ALU x Clock)

Xbox 360 - 24.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using all 48 Unified Pipelines)

Xbox 360 - 20.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using 40 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)

Xbox 360 - 18.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using 36 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)

Xbox 360 - 16.0 Billion Pixels/sec (using 32 of the 48 Unified Pipelines)

PS3 - 24.0 Billion Pixels/sec

Multisampled Fill Rate

Xbox 360 - 16.0 Billion Samples/sec (8 ROPS x 4 Samples x 500MHz)

PS3 - 8.0 Billion Samples/sec (8 ROPS x 2 Samples x 500MHz)

Pixel Fill Rate with 4x Multisampled Anti-Aliasing

Xbox 360 - 4.0 Billion Pixels/sec (8 ROPS x 4 Samples x 500MHz / 4)

PS3 - 2.0 Billion Pixels/sec (8 ROPS x 2 Samples x 500MHz / 4)

Pixel Fill Rate without Anti-Aliasing

Xbox 360 - 4.0 Billion Pixels/sec (8 ROPS x 500MHz)

PS3 - 4.0 Billion Pixels/sec (8 ROPS x 500MHz)

Frame Buffer Bandwidth

Xbox 360 - 256.0 GB/sec (dedicated for frame buffer rendering)

PS3 - 20.8 GB/sec (shared with other graphics data: textures and vertices)

PS3 - 10.8 GB/sec (with 10.0 GB/sec subtracted for textures and vertices)

PS3 - 8.4 GB/sec (with 12.4 GB/sec subtracted for textures and vertices)

Texture/Vertex Memory Bandwidth

Xbox 360 - 22.4 GB/sec (shared with CPU)

Xbox 360 - 14.4 GB/sec (with 8.0 GB/sec subtracted for CPU)

Xbox 360 - 12.4 GB/sec (with 10.0 GB/sec subtracted for CPU)

PS3 - 20.8 GB/sec (shared with frame buffer)

PS3 - 10.8 GB/sec (with 10.0 GB/sec subtracted for frame buffer)

PS3 - 8.4 GB/sec (with 12.4 GB/sec subtracted for frame buffer)

Shader Model

Xbox 360 - Shader Model 3.0+ / Unified Shader Architecture

PS3 - Shader Model 3.0 / Discrete Shader Architecture

Xbox 360 has the advantage in most cases.

What a crock of BS spec wise even Microsoft's lead dev acknowledged that the ps3 is more advanced they are not identical in no way shape or form and the ps3 exclusives look wayyyy better then 360s exclusives. 360 fanboys are in denial about there machines specs I have even seen some try to argue that Xbox is better then PC spec wise lol. They will not accept the fact that hardware spec wise the 360 is inferior to the ps3.

EASTC0AST_GH05T

Uncharted easily could work on xbox 360

Hmm.. I dont want to sound like a Fanboy. but the Uncharted series (esp.Uncharted 3) would NEVER work on xbox 360, Becuase well.. Uncharted 3 is 44 GB in size which equals to more than 5 xbox 360 DVDs, also xbox 360 cant handle that type of graphics! I could understand if you said inFAMOUS, Resistance, LittleBigPlanet..etc BUT Uncharted would NEVER work on xbox 360! Naughty Dog already confirmed this.

^^ This I swear some 360 fans are ignorant to facts there is no way in hell uncharted 3, mgs4 or god of war 3 could work on 360. Just check the specs that needed to be used to actually make them games work, the 360 doesn't have all the specs to make them games work. You would never see a game like killzone 3 done on Xbox. Then there's Dust514 coming out soon check out all the specs that bad boy is going to utilize along with the fact its going to be a fps mmo that will be compatible with PC and PS vita.

Edited by EASTC0AST_GH05T

Triple Vacuum Seal

Since we're talking quality, I believe that the PS3 edges out the Xbox 360 in overall quality very marginally (as it should since it didn't come out until afterwards.) However, the graphics on 360 are supposedly better and after watching loads of Youtube-posted comparisons, the difference is marginal in favor of the 360.

My point: GTAV gameplay won't be effected much by console differences since graphics seem to be the main relevant comparison in gameplay experience between the different consoles. Plus the disc space issue can easily be solved w/Xbox 360. Processor speed shouldn't be a problem either since the trailer didn't seem to show any activity that a Xbox 360 processor doesn't already do.

EASTC0AST_GH05T

True indeed I have IV for both its a port for ps3 but tbogt looks pretty much the same on both. I down judge a consoles hardware potential off of multiplats though. I agree with your theories though, If V was an exclusive it could look as good as uncharted 3 graphics wise and be as big as mag player wise. I also agree with the guy who said what if it was PC exclusive now that would be crazy. PC version of IV multiplayer is already more players then console version. I know ps3 can support 24 or 32 players overall but rockstar vows to make both console versions as equal as possible.

I think they should use 25GB from the PS3 disc and then for Xbox it should be put on two or three disc to make it up to 25GB, as an xbox owner I wouldnt mind at all giving up 25GB of hard drive for GTA V  biggrin.gif but should be an option so you dont have to keep changing discs. .

I would agree, if the total game size is bigger than one DVD, the system requirement will be to load the whole game onto the hard disk. That seems like an obvious way to make the "DVD vs Blue-Ray" problem go away.

Would there also be an option to download the game directly to hard disk and not even have a physical package? Since there would be no resale value, a download should presumably have a lower price.

John The Grudge

It's hilarious to me that anybody is even entertaining the idea that GTA V will be PS3 exclusive. Forza 4 requires you to install around 2gb onto the hard drive. If storage is that big of a deal then Rockstar will do the same. If Microsoft's biggest exclusive can do it then I'm sure it's not off the table for any other game.

For Xbox the Game might come with 2 Discs, Disc 1 is all the Game Data, Disc 2 is just the Map to Install to the HDD. Problem Solved..... We all enjoy the Game. smile.gif

For Xbox the Game might come with 2 Discs, Disc 1 is all the Game Data, Disc 2 is just the Map to Install to the HDD. Problem Solved..... We all enjoy the Game. smile.gif

I think you have it wrong, If there were 2 discs for Xbox, It would probably be like this:

Disc 1 - Play Disc (Includes the map/multiplayer)

Disc 2 - Install (Story/everthing related)

I believe Sony mentioned a quad layer would be possible on Ps3, by that I'm guessing they meant dual layer on both sides, BDXL isn't compatible with the ps3, they're 100GB-128GB, And yes dual layer works, i believe MGS4 was one of, if not the first to use it.

While i'd be super happy if it was exclusive to Sony, even if it was just for 6 months. The 360 has one feature PS3 doesn't, you can install games on the HDD, Im guessing it will be on 4 or 5 discs, 1 dual layer BD.

Unfortunately I doubt Sony has $300 000 000+ it would likely cost to secure it as an exclusive, even a time exclusive would likely cost 100+ million

I guess it comes down to what rules MS set when it comes to mandatory installs, I just hope it doesn't mean cuts to content

Edited by kb8618

I'll add in an exclusivity theory and reasons why.

I think there will come a time when there will be no GTA games on PC at all. Think about it from a business perspective, it is easier to pirate a PC game versus a console game, the major publishers are scared witless of 'piracy' (which they roll out for every reason). Also, the consoles simply sell more units. LA Noire, for instance, was a console-exclusive game, R* denied a PC release for a long, long while. Also, RDR is console only, despite fans wanting a PC release.

Also, I think that if IV/DLCs get pirated (and a look on any popular pirate site shows a lot of downloads of IV/DLCs), that would be ammuniton for R* to do what they've done with Noire/RDR and release it only on consoles.

TheGreene2010
I'll add in an exclusivity theory and reasons why.

I think there will come a time when there will be no GTA games on PC at all. Think about it from a business perspective, it is easier to pirate a PC game versus a console game, the major publishers are scared witless of 'piracy' (which they roll out for every reason). Also, the consoles simply sell more units. LA Noire, for instance, was a console-exclusive game, R* denied a PC release for a long, long while. Also, RDR is console only, despite fans wanting a PC release.

Also, I think that if IV/DLCs get pirated (and a look on any popular pirate site shows a lot of downloads of IV/DLCs), that would be ammuniton for R* to do what they've done with Noire/RDR and release it only on consoles.

Or if companies weren't lazy they could borrow Codemaster's FADE. That would save alot of lost profit.

Oh and Noire is for the PC now.

Or if companies weren't lazy they could borrow Codemaster's FADE. That would save alot of lost profit.

Oh and Noire is for the PC now.

Yes but L.A. Noire didn't do nearly as well as most R* Branded games do.

I doubt RDR will come out on PC, and I really wouldn't be suprised if V doesn't either.

RDR was very, very good however, like I said there will come atime when R* doesn't release GTA for the PC, look what they ddi with RDR. Amazing game on PS3, no sign of a PC release at all despite fan interest. Noire was a simple port and works better on consoles.

Noire is for the PC, but for the longest time it wasn't a PC title at all, TB and R* denied any PC release at all. If R* wanted V to come out on PS3/X360 only, they could certainly do that and be fine with it. Look up the sales figures for PC against console, which sells more?

Also FADE isn't perfect, it's already been bypassed though, no anti piracy is 100% secure. Codemasters messed up relying on FADE, it'd cost a lot to license though since CM are greedy, money grabbers (though, to be fair their recent titles used GFWL and not FADE)

Thinking back, remember all the 'WE WANT RDR FOR PC' posts that were made for RDR? Didn't R* initially say it was coming out on PC?

Not this f*cking thread again. This has been brought up at least 6 times now in the last 2 months and all leads to utter idiots such as east coast writing his fanboy blabble.

Thread reported.