Idea: The "Weekly Random" Tournament

mir_us

So I started writing a PHP script for random match settings on the 1v1 tournament and got about 90% done, but didn't post it in time to be included. But it did give me an idea for a kind of event that might be a lot of fun to play.

Here's the rules:

1) Fixed time each week

Presumably this would be a weekend day. Something like Saturday 1600 GMT for example.

2) Completely random scenario and settings

My PHP script will give equal weight to all competitive scenarios of play, and equal weight to all possible settings for the game. Thus the outcome will be truly random.

2a) If the scenario is team based, the teams are selected randomly as well via the same PHP script

(Names are entered at the beginning)

3) Scoring is either individual or team based

I'll leave this open for discussion, but I'm guessing we'd make it both $ and W/L based in some combination.

4) Total games played each week would be dependent on time per game

So in the example of a 1600 GMT start time, the rule would be something like, "if any game completes before 1730 GMT, a new random match is drawn," and so forth until that condition is met. Thus four or five races might happen one week, but a single, long TMW might happen on the next week.

5) Byes for those of us with a life. Whatever the total number of weeks in a row the tournament is, a player must miss however many "byes" he/she has at their own desecration

So in an example of an eight week tournament with two byes, someone might take one of the weeks off for a vacation and the other for family that's in town. Whatever the reason, you MUST miss at least as many rounds as you have byes.

6) Runs for a fixed number of weeks, then the winners are announced

I'd propose eight weeks myself.

Of course I assume the event would get only 16 or less players to make it easier to setup, given it would be in a single game. But if there were more, that could be arranged through the script as well.

Ethereal_NYC

sounds good MIR.

I actually wana talk with you and AJ about organizing 4 events;

1) I would like to do a game where 2 teams fight over recovering a delivery objective in TMW and 1 team protects the item

2) in honor of the air/ground wars I wanted to do a TDM where one team stays in a maverick with grenades and the other team stays on ground with snipers only

3) a mode based on he warriors movie where a team of players must jog from bohan to firefly island while being chased by other role playing teams (a lot of detail in this one)

4) a CNC mode where its 2 or 3 players against 13 or 14 players in a standoff type situation in strip club or financial district interior downtown

sounds good MIR.

I actually wana talk with you and AJ about organizing 4 events;

1) I would like to do a game where 2 teams fight over recovering a delivery objective in TMW and 1 team protects the item

2) in honor of the air/ground wars I wanted to do a TDM where one team stays in a maverick with grenades and the other team stays on ground with snipers only

3) a mode based on he warriors movie where a team of players must jog from bohan to firefly island while being chased by other role playing teams (a lot of detail in this one)

4) a CNC mode where its 2 or 3 players against 13 or 14 players in a standoff type situation in strip club or financial district interior downtown

Interesting ideas, E...

1) Would be easy to arrange as both teams would agree to fail every mission until there was a single pick up, that way both would start at 0. But the hold would make it a kind of part Deatmatch, part Mafia style game.

2) Also interesting, though I'd allow the ground guys RPGs as well. If I coordinated with passengers via mic on grenades, I could just make sure my copter was always moving making it pretty difficult for snipers to catch me. But that gets trickier if they can use RPGs too since that better controls for movement.

3) I like this idea a lot. To make it interesting, I'd have the respawn of everyone to "far" and have the "warriors" team only allow for a single death. Thus, each opponent they kill the can send far away, but they will be back to get them soon enough.

4) This I think you'd have to change the balance of. 2 or 3 good players probably could hold off 13 or 14 if there were a number of good players among them. Or you'd have to have the larger team with a disadvantage in their play, like a limit of what weapons they can use.

Some good thoughts being discussed here about future events / twists on current modes, that could be held through the forum.

I'll definitely try to add a more detailed response to some of these ideas in the future.

I'd encourage you both to take the iniative and give a try at hosting events.

7cg1vNw.png