hackroot

hi fellas i have HP Pavilion dv6t-3100 CTO

core i 5

6GB ram

ati mobility HD 5470

Intel HD graphics

user posted image

user posted image

and can anyone tell me why there are two graphics adapters shown on my system properties.. and how game uses the one? can we allow game to use that graphics adapter which is the best for it?

one more thing a year ago i tried to play GTA iv on this laptop but it was on minimum graphics settings

but now i have updated my graphics drivers.. just asking if it works fine now?

also if there are any tweaks which can help in running the game smoothly please tell me

Edited by hackroot

YankeesPwnMets

No matter what you do, GTA IV will run like complete sh*t on your system. Your system is way too weak

'nuff said.

Also, how is your GPU and memory clocks 4-5 times higher then the default clocks?

You have two GPUs as that system has been designed to be efficient and use the right amount of power for any given situation. The problem with GTAIV is that it usually doesn't manage to detect the discrete GPU so the game hauls its ass. Additional problem in your case is that your discrete GPU (the M5470) is rather weak and you'll have problems running the game anyway.

What you can do to test is to go to the game options and check out the memory usage under video settings. If it says something like "350/500" (500, 512, 495 or the likes, it should be about 500) then the game probably detected your discrete GPU correctly. If it shows a much lesser number, like under 50 then GTAIV is malfunctioning again and there are two things you can do to fix it:

a) install the latest GPU drivers (by your own claim, you already did that)

b) use norestrictions commandline switch, which seemed to help people in similar situations (more info here http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=458859 )

No matter what you do, GTA IV will run like complete sh*t on your system. Your system is way too weak

'nuff said.

Also, how is your GPU and memory clocks 4-5 times higher then the default clocks?

That is false, I have the exact same set-up as the OP: Intel I5 Quad core @2.27GHZ with up to 2.93GHZ with Turbo Boost, 6GB Ram, an ATI Radeon HD5470 AND Intel HD video cards, and get a steady 30+fps with Patch 4(Retail DVD version)/Patch 7(I assume) on the Steam version(I assume it is the latest patch, as Steam has automatic updates?) and memrestrict command line....Here's proof: user posted image and the Fraps Benchmarks:

2011-09-04 22:08:46 - GTAIV

Frames: 11358 - Time: 356681ms - Avg: 31.844 - Min: 19 - Max: 61 and

2011-09-07 18:27:08 - EFLC

Frames: 10907 - Time: 277230ms - Avg: 39.343 - Min: 28 - Max: 54

Just a friendly heads up, that the set up is fine for these games..lol lol.giftounge2.gif

Note, How I the FPS rarely dips below 30fps...There is no lag, it was just hard to hold the camera and use the mouse/keyboard at the same time...

But, OT- It shows two cards, cause the Intel I3, I5, and I7 processors have an Intel Video card Integrated in them, however, some PC's also come with Discrete-class cards, which is what the HD5470 is...This is the one you should be using, as Intel cards are not good for newer games...Intel cards are just fine for III, VC, and SA, but NOT for IV/EFLC...I can max. out SA on an Intel Video card, however, IV does not run on them...I have proof of SA maxing out on an Intel card on my XP Pro PC...

YankeesPwnMets

1024 x 600 is complete sh*t to me. I can't really play unless its at least 720P

But I guess its how you want to play it. If you have no problems playing at a bad resolution, then go ahead. I've played many games in my time and low resolutions for games like IV look absolutely terrible.

1024 x 600 is complete sh*t to me. I can't really play unless its at least 720P

But I guess its how you want to play it. If you have no problems playing at a bad resolution, then go ahead. I've played many games in my time and low resolutions for games like IV look absolutely terrible.

I tend to go more for Performance over quality. Hey, the bright side is, at least it is full screen. tounge2.gif

However, I play III, VC, SA, and EFLC at 1080p(1600X900) on the in-game settings though. tounge2.gif

Also, my native resolution on that PC is 1600X900. So, since that is what the Video card is set at by default, wouldn't that mean that the game is that setting as well-even if the in-game setting is only 1024X600? Curious on that one? confused.gif

YankeesPwnMets

No. When you set the in game resolution to 1024 x 600, then everything goes to 1024 x 600. If you switched back out to your desktop while the game was still running, then your desktop would be 1024 x 600 was well.

For me, I don't see the point to run a game at a terrible resolution. I don't see how it is fun in anyway when power lines look like staircases....

No. When you set the in game resolution to 1024 x 600, then everything goes to 1024 x 600. If you switched back out to your desktop while the game was still running, then your desktop would be 1024 x 600 was well.

For me, I don't see the point to run a game at a terrible resolution. I don't see how it is fun in anyway when power lines look like staircases....

As long is its fullscreen, the desktop goes to that same resolution, yes. And it switches back and forth when starting and closing the fullscreen application.