Protagonist selection in GTAV

gta_fan28

If the multiple protag is possible in GTA V, would u like to have a protag selection like in GTA1? Each protag has a different stories but it's all connected in on each other just like Niko, Johnny and Luis in GTAIV. Would like to see that in GTA V? Share your thoughts. cool.gif

you could choose your protag in gta 1? How did that work?

U don't know? there are 8 characters in GTA1 that u can choose.

I would rather them be in a gang of big time robbers and they robbed multi-million dollar company's. One is a older gentlemen(the boss) one is the young thug from the street(the muscle)and the last one is the reliable one, a bit like Jim Fitzgerald from the lost and damned.

I would rather them be in a gang of big time robbers and they robbed multi-million dollar company's. One is a older gentlemen(the boss) one is the young thug from the street(the muscle)and the last one is the reliable one, a bit like Jim Fitzgerald from the lost and damned.

That would be quite good actually! I'm not too keen on a multiple protag feature but I think if it revolved around events such as you have described it could be pretty good.

If the multiple protag is possible in GTA V, would u like to have a protag selection like in GTA1? Each protag has a different stories but it's all connected in on each other  just like Niko, Johnny and Luis in GTAIV. Would like to see that in GTA V? Share your thoughts. cool.gif

I actually think this could really work. It would be a "bold move"

Each character could do different things. So say ned lukes character owns the mansions, is a boss type character, gives orders owns night spots.

And say one of the black guys in the trailer is more of a street criminal, can workout and alter physique. You get the idea...

So they would be giving us tons and tons of features, but making it fit with each character.

Edited by Darrel

If the multiple protag is possible in GTA V, would u like to have a protag selection like in GTA1? Each protag has a different stories but it's all connected in on each other  just like Niko, Johnny and Luis in GTAIV. Would like to see that in GTA V? Share your thoughts. cool.gif

Each character could do different things. So say ned lukes character owns the mansions, is a boss type character, gives orders owns night spots.

And say one of the black guys in the trailer is more of a street criminal, can workout and alter physique. You get the idea...

Yeah dude that was what I'm talking just like that.

icon14.gif

Worst idea ever! I dont want to create/choose a progonist in GTA V , i want ONE protagonist with a great and long story.. Leave this create/choose protagonist $HIT to saints row

So they would be giving us tons and tons of features, but making it fit with each character.

I also think this is a great idea because what kind protagonist i want depends on the mood i am in. If i want to be a big time mafia type gangster, i want the older man but sometimes i want a street thug brought up in south central. It would be a great to have the option.

Worst idea ever! I dont want to create/choose a progonist in GTA V , i want ONE protagonist with a great and long story.. Leave this create/choose protagonist $HIT to saints row

I agree. I think this is what R* will do.

But multiple protagonists included in a smart way could also be good.

Choosing what character as in gta1 is not possible anymore since protagonists since III have their own personality.

I think being able to choose from a range of protags, each with his/her own backstory could make it too convoluted, as each story would be completely different for at least a quarter of the game. It worked in GTA1 because of the lack of character or personality, basically it boiled down to whos head you preferred to be looking at from above.

Agreed. I want one super long, beautifully written story. Not a bunch of different characters with rubbish short stories...

I disagree mate, you only have to look at other topics discussing who people want the protag to be and its split from the man on the balcony and the man in the red car. i think it would be smart and please everyone.

Snake Without a Tongue

Multiple protagonists would mean Saints Row-like flimsy storyline.

So, a big no to that crap.

Stick to what works.

Why are u f*cking comparing this idea in SR series? I didn't mention any create a charater here. R* already done a single protag story since GTA III up to GTAIV. And what I'm asking is if the multi protag is possible in GTAV maybe R* can have selection of protag or maybe chapter by chapter by each character as the story progress.

Stick to what works.

Not necessarily. You would not be picking and choosing. You would have to complete each story for the overall story to completed and fully make sense.

I hate Saints row, and i am actually not a fan of create a character and all that bullsh*t, but Rockstar would surely do it justice.

Stick to what works.

Why do u compare SR story line in GTA story line? Besides there aren't any multiple protag in SR series.

comparing grand theft auto to saints row the third is like comparing Beyonce Knowles to Oprah Winfrey. Both are African-American but are total different people, just like grand theft auto and saints row are different games.

ThEtRuThSANANDREAS69
you could choose your protag in gta 1? How did that work?

U don't know? there are 8 characters in GTA1 that u can choose.

Thats badass. I started with gta 3 so I had no idea.

Snake Without a Tongue

comparing grand theft auto to saints row the third  is like comparing Beyonce Knowles to Oprah Winfrey. Both are African-American but are total different people, just like grand theft auto and saints row are different games.

But if I said Oprah should totally start singing or Beyonce should have her own show...

Logic train goes whoosh.

Anyhoo, Saints Row does the customizing thing. Multiple protagonists would have the same effect. Different dialogue for different cutscenes? That's not GTA.

And for everybody talking about GTA1.. did you even play GTA1? You could pick a different player name at the beginning of the game but it changed absolutely nothing. You were still a tiny little dot on the screen.

comparing grand theft auto to saints row the third is like comparing Beyonce Knowles to Oprah Winfrey. Both are African-American but are total different people, just like grand theft auto and saints row are different games.

Comparing GTA to Saints Row is like comparing Parmigiano Reggiano to Tesco Value Cheese Style Slices.

Yes forget SR. That's not what the OP is on about. SR is one customised character in one story. The OP is on about choosing from several predefined characters at the start of the game.

Because that's quite a reasonable way to do a multiple protagonist story in one game. At the start you choose one of several characters and then play out the story entirely from their point of view. If you choose a different character, you play the story from a different point of view. And so on.

Think of it as GTA:IV and the two DLCs rolled into one and more tightly integrated.

Of course, the big issue then is that having played though as one character, you have an idea of what goes on. You could effectively have spoiler issues when you play as another character. A way round that is to start switching characters so you're playing though the story in chronological sequence. With that, the switching mechanism could easily be very clumsy. And when are you free to do your own thing in the open world? Of course, the episodes mostly avoided this simply because of how the stories were structured.

This could all easily turn out to be awful. But it could equally turn out to be utter genius, if they've found an innovative way do it.

One alternative is to have it as a series of short out of sequence stories. Think Pulp Fiction, but as a game. You play through differing character's pieces of stories. And they slowly coalesce into one big story that ends dramatically.

Edited by meson1

I'm dubious as to how seamless multiple protagonists would be. I really don't want it to be like IV where only certain protags get access to specific weapons/features. The story shouldn't randomly force you into a new character's shoes, like 99% of the FPS games out there. That said, I want to be in control of who I play as and not be forced to go to a start menu and reload the map just to switch characters. If R* are implementing multiple protagonists, they have they're work cut out for them.

Stick to what works.

Not really.

Technically, GTA IV had multiple protagonists and the story for all 3 games were pretty good - especially how they all formed the "trinity" at the museum (am I the only one who gets reminded of Kingdom Hearts whenever someone says "trinity"?).

GTA V will probably do the same seeing how the trailer showed two characters - the black guy and the Ned Luke guy - as worthy protags due to the amount of detail both characters had compared to all the other "pedestrians".

Now I wouldn't go as far as to say GTA V will feature 8 protagonists like GTA 1 did (I always picked Bubba btw), but I have a strong feeling that GTA V will have at least 3 protagonists just to keep the story from going stale.

It worked for IV, it'll probably work for V as well.