Politically Charged Material in GTA Games

MIKON8ERISBACK

MIKON8ERISBACK

What do the USSR, the fall of the wall, police corruption scandals, and post-9/11 terrorism paranoia all have in common? They have all been referenced and even parodied by Grand Theft Auto games from GTA 3 onward. Grand Theft Auto III referenced drug cartels, drug trafficking, and the unforgiving nature of the streets.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City referenced the height of the Cold War, fears of nuclear attack from the USSR, and righteous paranoia towards communism and the writer's personal criticisms of Reaganomics.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas mostly parodied the early 1990s gangster rap scene, gang violence in the real life Los Angeles, and police corruption scandals.

Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories referenced 1990s boybands, the rise of the internet, and bubblegum pop music of the time.

Vice City Stories, dating back to 1984 as the setting, referenced most of the same things as Vice City, along with now obsolete technologies, such as the compact cassette being "the future of music".

Grand Theft Auto IV and the two DLC expansion packs are notable because right from the beginning of the game, references to post 9/11 anti-terrorism measures are made, such as the LCPD blocking off the bridge, unwarranted surveillance, and frequent "terror alerts" issued by the local government and relayed on in-game media outlets.

Media messages are also commonly found in radio dialogue and pedestrian dialogue, such as a man saying "This country's gotten really fascist since the attacks. Since completing an eye opening media literacy course at my high school, all of this stuff I didn't used to understand as a child is starting to make sense and even make me laugh.

Check out all the in game radio ads in Vice City. References are made to 1980s pop culture and as I mentioned earlier, the reason why the label "communist" is a death sentence. From roughly the 1950s until roughly 1988, the Western World was scared to death of the possibility of a nuclear attack from the Soviet Union. I am an outspoken supporter of capitalist economics, but it still cracks me up.

I think GTA V will parody all the popular stuff that is common in LA like plastic pop stars, actors/actresses with drug problems, the need of money and luxury and status, also the 2012 paranoia

See no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil...

I LOST A FRIEND, MAY GOD REST YOUR SOUL, ZEE

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

user posted image

user posted image

I think they'll have things like what you said above ^, 2012 apocalypse theory, Occupy Wall Street, the presidential campaign (hopefully they'll make fun of how stupid all of them are,) and global warming.

Many of the the things you've mentioned are not political at all, bubblegum pop music and cassette walkmans. But GTA centres around social commentary, which no doubt will be the heart of their games for as long as they don't sell out

It seems pretty clear from the GTAV Trailer that class stratification in America will be a significant theme - the widening separation between the haves and the have-nots. That should be a significant aspect of missions and the storyline, not simply a sidebar political comment.

Maybe this is so obvious it is not worth mentioning (and it has been discussed in other threads), but I will add it anyway.

Good thoughtful topic!

They will probably adress Economic Crysis,Foreclosure,Bailout,War on Terror,Wars on Middle East,2012(if is released this year),unemploymend,immigration issues,Tea party and Occupy movements.Also becouse it is set in LA,there must be parodies of Hollywood celebrities and scandals.

I want to see the "Ocuppy wall street" stuff and the "V for Vendetta" mask for sale so you can use in a mission smile.gif

A nice idea is to parody the 2012 armageddon paranoia, with websites talking about "the mayans predicted it all" and when you explode something, peds will scream like: "sh*t! THE MAYANS ARE RIGHT!"

A nice mission would be a bank robbery, and when you are escaping, an earthquake starts, with people running scared of the end of the world and all that, just like the mission of "nicholson electroplating" from LA Noire, when the chemicals explode and everyone thinks its the russians and teh A-Bomb.

I want to see the "Ocuppy wall street" stuff and the "V for Vendetta" mask for sale so you can use in a mission smile.gif

A nice idea is to parody the 2012 armageddon paranoia, with websites talking about "the mayans predicted it all" and when you explode something, peds will scream like: "sh*t! THE MAYANS ARE RIGHT!"

A nice mission would be a bank robbery, and when you are escaping, an earthquake starts, with people running scared of the end of the world and all that, just like the mission of "nicholson electroplating" from LA Noire, when the chemicals explode and everyone thinks its the russians and teh A-Bomb.

GTA V will be probably settled in 2008, according to orange/red car license plates. confused.gif

But it's a good idea indeed.

GTA V will be probably settled in 2008, according to orange/red car license plates. confused.gif

facedesk.gif

It's 2012. I just got my 2013 tags for my Cali license plate. It's orange. The 2008 argument is retarded--it even conflicts with R*'s press release.

Since GTA V will take place around 2013, what will be parodied are:

*The mass hysteria surrounding the Mexican Drug War, illegal immigration and drugs in general.

*The issue of medicinal/legal marijuana.

*This new teen pop (Justin Bieber).

*The continuing rise of the internet and other new technologies.

*The Arab Spring and Occupy.

*Possibly, the end of the recession.

*The "End of the World" prophecy.

I guess the real main topic will be the economy crisis. That would fit to the insinuated thing that money will be very important in this game. And that would fit to all the closing signs of shops in the trailer.

facedesk.gif

It's 2012. I just got my 2013 tags for my Cali license plate. It's orange. The 2008 argument is retarded--it even conflicts with R*'s press release.

Well, I thought that it was true. I don't know nothing about CA, so thanks. wink.gif

@Death2Drugs: sure, they'll probably talk about how many stupid people committed suicide because of the end of the world theory or something like that.

GTAMythsexplained

I'm guessing you'll see peds talking about the mayans and stuff.

Hell, we might even do missions for some nutjob who wants the protagonist to go out and get him things for his 'bomb shelter'. I dunno, but this seems like a funny idea.

colgate.gif

facedesk.gif

Well, I thought that it was true. I don't know nothing about CA, so thanks. wink.gif

@Death2Drugs: sure, they'll probably talk about how many stupid people committed suicide because of the end of the world theory or something like that.

Yeah, if the tags are indeed anything to go by, the game will take place 2012-2013. It would be a shame to not release the game in 2012, though, since the Mayan prophecy and end-of-the-world fanatics would add a nice touch to V.

I could definitely see them doing a parody of Ron Paul. He'd be the only guy speaking with any common sense and the media and other politicians can act like he's totally insane.

2012 is an election year here in America, so I'm pretty sure that will be referenced in the game.

MIKON8ERISBACK

In January I completed a media literacy course at my high school and one of the arguments I made about the Grand Theft Auto V trailer #1 was that the references made to "the problem with capitalism" and "income disparity" was that they were actually trying to sympathize with the world of violent crime. This may or may not be true, well, you know how it is...

Election year, and the fact America and the world are still hurting and in the recovery phase. Many more of the references to the socioeconomic divides that we first started seeing in GTA IV. Occupy, Arab Spring, fears about Iran and North Korea, the Euro crisis, "Bieber fever"...

The key satire in choosing the USA for the virtual GTA playground DOES have a lot to do with the political shenanigans, but not only that, but the pop culture phenom, how Hollywood and Star status effect more then just the USA, but others around the Globe watching the media sh*tstorm! hahaha

Phantomkick
Since GTA V will take place around 2013, what will be parodied are:

*The mass hysteria surrounding the Mexican Drug War, illegal immigration and drugs in general.

*The issue of medicinal/legal marijuana.

*This new teen pop (Justin Bieber).

*The continuing rise of the internet and other new technologies.

*The Arab Spring and Occupy.

*Possibly, the end of the recession.

*The "End of the World" prophecy.

lol'd i love to see where you get mission from parodied Justin bieber and you have to prevent him from public either he is gay or crack addicted lol.gif