Los Santos Place Names

zackryderwoo

First of all I apologize if this topic has been discussed before. I done a search and couldn't find anything.

As you know GTA 5 is set in Los Santos, a city which featured in a previous GTA game, just like Liberty City.

But the boroughs of Liberty City in GTA 3 (Portland, Shorside Valley) had different names to the boroughs of Liberty City in GTA 4 (Algonquin, Alderney, Dukes, Bohan)

Likewise, every place in Liberty City in GTA 4 had different street names etc. So no areas returned with the same name, excluding Francis International Airport.

After watching the GTA 5 trailer, I realized Vinewood is definitely going to part of the game. This got me thinking. If Vinewood is in GTA 5, do you think other famous areas such as Ganton and Idlewood will feature in the game? Unlike the name changes of GTA 3 to GTA 4

Will GTA 5 use the same area names as San Andreas?

Edited by zackryderwoo

GTA SA's Los Santos was a much more realistic depiction of LA than GTA III's Liberty City was of New York, so I don't see why not.

I think the names of the areas (Vinewood, Ganton, Inglewood) might return as R* seemed to put more effort into naming the areas in SA than they did in III. They also link in to their real life counterparts more accurately that they did in III.

I think the streets will all be names though, so Grove Street might not make a return unless the names of all the streets around it link in to that name somehow, such as how in IV groups of streets were names after famous prisons, some were named after Minerals, some were names after legends of the old West.

cool.gif Quoting Dan Houser:

That Liberty City (GTA III's) was not particularly meant to be New York. That was meant to be a hybrid of a generic American city: Chicago, Pittsburgh, Detroit, New York, Philly. An old, post-industrial American city. [GTA III] was America, whereas Vice City was clearly Miami. (And Los Santos was CLEARLY Los Angeles)

That's why III's LC stuff didn't carry over to IV, because they are two totally seperate cities. Los Santos on the other hand has always been Los Angeles and therefore YES Ganton, Idlewood, and other areas will return. Along with the Families and Ballas that occupy those areas I might add. cool.gif

cool.gif Quoting Dan Houser:

That Liberty City (GTA III's) was not particularly meant to be New York. That was meant to be a hybrid of a generic American city: Chicago, Pittsburgh, Detroit, New York, Philly. An old, post-industrial American city. [GTA III] was America, whereas Vice City was clearly Miami. (And Los Santos was CLEARLY Los Angeles)

That's why III's LC stuff didn't carry over to IV, because they are two totally seperate cities. Los Santos on the other hand has always been Los Angeles and therefore YES Ganton, Idlewood, and other areas will return. Along with the Families and Ballas that occupy those areas I might add. cool.gif

Its not that I don't believe you, but do you a linky?

V 9 L U K 3 4 V

I hope they do add grove street in gta 5 it'll be a nice touch to the game and a nod to gta San Andreas

StellarFish20
I hope they do add grove street in gta 5 it'll be a nice touch to the game and a nod to gta San Andreas

It will take us down memory lane! I hope it's in there.

OT: I think they will use the same district names and what not

yeah as stated before, III's LC was never NYC, therefore nothing really carried over. however SA's LC was LA so its probable.

Also, in the trailer we see the jefferson motel

We could see the same names. Like stated before, GTA III's LC wasn't meant to (completely) represent N.Y. However, IV's LC clearly was.

GTA: San Andreas' L.S. was obviously directly based on L.A. (but much more condensed). However, since these are different eras, I'm not sure whether R* think Ganton and Idlewood could fit in GTA 5's L.S.

I think Jefferson is likely confirmed. It's referenced in GTA IV.

HydraulicWaRiOr

This is one of the reasons why we think Ned Luke isn't the protagonist. Going through all these places with him would just be weird. He just doesn't fit the area.

[OBEY]

HydraulicWaRiOr
What street is Grove St based off of?

I'm not sure. I actually think that it's the real name. Theres a song by Waka Flocka Flame called Grove St. Party, but I have no idea. I will check online.

[OBEY]

This is one of the reasons why we think Ned Luke isn't the protagonist. Going through all these places with him would just be weird. He just doesn't fit the area.

[OBEY]

Once again; another stupid assumption by Hydro.

So just because he is an old guy, he can't "walk the mean streets of LS"? Is that your excuse now?

For all we know, the Ned Luke character could be a goddamn MAFIA MEMBER!!! He looks Italian.

HydraulicWaRiOr

[OBEY]

So just because he is an old guy, he can't "walk the mean streets of LS"? Is that your excuse now?

For all we know, the Ned Luke character could be a goddamn MAFIA MEMBER!!! He looks Italian.

There is no mafia in Los Angeles you twat.

I just find it ridiculous to see him in a 64' while playing something like this.

[OBEY]

Looks at nme of location:

GTA V: Los Santos.

As far as I can tell, Los Santos is a FICTIONAL CITY, which means R* can choose to add a MAFIA/MOB branch if they feel.

Second, the guy is NOT 64; stop being oldophobic and accept the fact that you MIGHT play as an older protagonist.

HydraulicWaRiOr

user posted image

I apologize if I'm double posting, but this is Spruce St. in Compton. GTAWiki says that that is what Grove St. is based on.

[OBEY]

Edited by HydraulicWaRiOr

user posted image

I apologize if I'm double posting, but this is Spruce St. in Compton. GTAWiki says that that is what Grove St. is based on.

[OBEY]

And you believe it? lol.gif

interpolfan11

As far as I can tell, Los Santos is a FICTIONAL CITY, which means R* can choose to add a MAFIA/MOB branch if they feel.

Second, the guy is NOT 64; stop being oldophobic and accept the fact that you MIGHT play as an older protagonist.

This series is getting more and more realistic and mindful of exactly who is doing the crime in the cities. GTA IV did a fairly good job of realistically portraying the gangs and mafias that currently preside over NYC. There's no reason why they won't do the same with GTA V. Therefore, there would be no reason for R* to add an Italian mafia to Los Santos.

By the way, I'm not an oldophobic and I would be fine with Ned Luke. He definitely isn't Italian though. And I acknowledge the fact that you weren't alleging that he was Italian.

EDIT: I think they'll keep the old names for the neighborhoods that are returning. It only makes sense.

Edited by interpolfan11

HydraulicWaRiOr

God, you know nothing about 90's culture in L.A., I was born in the 90's and even I know what a 64' is. Im talking about a 64 Impala dumbass, not his age.

user posted image

And in case you didn't know, gangs and mafias are a big part of REALISM. New York/Liberty City has a MAFIA culture. Los Angeles/Los Santos has a GANG culture. So I doubt Rockstar would put mafias in a place where 90% of the people are COLORED.

[OBEY]

this is a good question, i think it's likely that the names from SA will return, obviously not an exact replica but probably a readjusted enlarged version of what we saw in GTA SA. i gotta admit it would be weird strolling through the hood with an older protag

Los Santos Pedestrian
stop being oldophobic and accept the fact that you MIGHT play as an older protagonist.

Oldophobic? Did you really just make up a word?

[OBEY]

I just find it ridiculous to see him in a 64' while playing something like this.

[OBEY]

What youv'e just said actually makes it more likeley that he is the protag as he moved there to "Get away from that line of work"

Also I dont see why a late 40's to early 50's white male cant drive a 64' while blasting some Dr Dre beats. It could also be considered ridiculous that an eastern european could drive a supercar while listening to reggae but that doesnt stop people doing it in GTA IV, also what about a biker driving a hybrid while listening to 80's pop and ontop of that what do you think of a gangsta in his mid 20's roaming the countryside on a yokel pickup while listening to country & western music.

I dont see why you feel that he doesnt fit in with the high end rich area of Los Santos, your just thinking about the street gang areas when there is soooooooooooooooooooooooo much more to Los Santos than that, youve got the hilltop mountaince where celebs and rich people live, youve got the really nice beaches with open air gyms, youve got the high end clothing stores. GTA SA was more about East Los Santos at the beginning when I feel V will focus on West and North-west Los Santos to start with. Just look at how much more higher class it got the more you went West and North-west in Los Santos in San Andreas.

HydraulicWaRiOr

[OBEY]

[OBEY]

What youv'e just said actually makes it more likeley that he is the protag as he moved there to "Get away from that line of work"

Also I dont see why a late 40's to early 50's white male cant drive a 64' while blasting some Dr Dre beats. It could also be considered ridiculous that an eastern european could drive a supercar while listening to reggae but that doesnt stop people doing it in GTA IV, also what about a biker driving a hybrid while listening to 80's pop and ontop of that what do you think of a gangsta in his mid 20's roaming the countryside on a yokel pickup while listening to country & western music.

I dont see why you feel that he doesnt fit in with the high end rich area of Los Santos, your just thinking about the street gang areas when there is soooooooooooooooooooooooo much more to Los Santos than that, youve got the hilltop mountaince where celebs and rich people live, youve got the really nice beaches with open air gyms, youve got the high end clothing stores. GTA SA was more about East Los Santos at the beginning when I feel V will focus on West and North-west Los Santos to start with. Just look at how much more higher class it got the more you went West and North-west in Los Santos in San Andreas.

I still see an absence of Dutch old people mafias in Los Angeles/Los Santos.

[OBEY]

[OBEY]

[OBEY]

[OBEY]

I dont know what you mean by Dutch but did you not read my first scentance? "What youv'e just said actually makes it more likeley that he is the protag as he moved there to "Get away from that line of work" "

Ill elaborate, if you worked for Tesco Doncaster for 20 years but decided you wanted a change you wouldnt then go and move from Doncaster to Sc*nthorpe and specificly to work in Tesco Sc*nthorpe you would go there for a different line of work such as office work or gardening or something.

So under that trail of thaught if you worked for the Mafia Liberty City you wouldnt move to Las Venturas to get away from the Mafia, you would move to somewhere like Los Santos where you dont have a strong mafia prescence.

How many gang-bangers do you see driving around in '64 Impalas blasting a Dr. Dre record in present day South Central? That made me laugh Hydro.

The fact that South Central is in a huge city like Los Angeles makes it completely ridiculous to play as an older White male? Don't make me laugh. South Central was an integral part of SA but this is not SA. There are other parts of Los Angeles which our Ned Luke character will be centered around. South Central will most likely not play a big part this time around.

[OBEY]

[OBEY]

[OBEY]

I dont know what you mean by Dutch but did you not read my first scentance? "What youv'e just said actually makes it more likeley that he is the protag as he moved there to "Get away from that line of work" "

Ill elaborate, if you worked for Tesco Doncaster for 20 years but decided you wanted a change you wouldnt then go and move from Doncaster to Sc*nthorpe and specificly to work in Tesco Sc*nthorpe you would go there for a different line of work such as office work or gardening or something.

So under that trail of thaught if you worked for the Mafia Liberty City you wouldnt move to Las Venturas to get away from the Mafia, you would move to somewhere like Los Santos where you dont have a strong mafia prescence.

Who would have thought Doncaster and Sc*unthorpe would be mentioned in a topic about LS districts haha!

Also, yeah, what DOES he mean by Dutch?

HydraulicWaRiOr
How many gang-bangers do you see driving around in '64 Impalas blasting a Dr. Dre record in present day South Central? That made me laugh Hydro.

The fact that South Central is in a huge city like Los Angeles makes it completely ridiculous to play as an older White male? Don't make me laugh. South Central was an integral part of SA but this is not SA. There are other parts of Los Angeles which our Ned Luke character will be centered around. South Central will most likely not play a big part this time around.

And what about Inglewood, Glassel Park, Lincoln Park, Highland Park, Cypress Park, Compton and Watts? Are they irrelvant? Or is South Cental the only gangster place in L.A. now? Do you actually live in SC or are you just making an assumption about it? I only go there every once in a while to visit family, but I still see one or two driving and a few parked ones almost everytime I go. And are you serious? About 11 of the scenes in the trailer are centered in or around south central, you would think if someone lived in Los Angeles they would know that. dozingoff.gif

[OBEY]

God, you know nothing about 90's culture in L.A., I was born in the 90's and even I know what a 64' is. Im talking about a 64 Impala dumbass, not his age.

user posted image

And in case you didn't know, gangs and mafias are a big part of REALISM. New York/Liberty City has a MAFIA culture. Los Angeles/Los Santos has a GANG culture. So I doubt Rockstar would put mafias in a place where 90% of the people are COLORED.

[OBEY]

I was born in 91.

I'm on the East Coast.

Regardless, GTA V is a fictional game and the creators, R*, can do whatever the f*ck they want with it!

['Nuff Said]

I expect Los Santos in GTA V to be at least equal to Los Santos, San Fierro and Las Venturas from SA as GTA V is 1 city, not 3

Hopefully it is even larger

If it is the size of the 3 cities, at least, then there is room for many more neighborhoods

It would be awesome for all 88 cities that make up LA county to be the neighborhoods for Los Santos with Compton = Ganton etc