Can my computer run GTA IV?

ArtEri_O

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.111025-1503)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: OptiPlex 745

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 2.0.8

Processor: Intel® Core2 CPU

6600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Memory: 1024MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

You didn't post your graphics card, but from I could find OptiPlex 745 have Radeons X1300Pro at best... which is not enough for GTAIV.

74cXSsx.png

You didn't post your graphics card, but from I could find OptiPlex 745 have Radeons X1300Pro at best... which is not enough for GTAIV.

Ok, thanks for your reply.. icon14.gif

I don't own that Optiplex, but I do own a GX620, which is a 775 socket dual core, and I ALMOST had a 410 XPS but I damaged the 775 socket pins, in those cases, you have a PCIexpress 16 lane slot, so you can upgrade, but what form factor mandates options as well!

You people need to stop with the "this wont run GTA 4 get a BLAH card".

My previous PC, was a turd, seriously, and ran GTA IV on low settings perfectly.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

6600 is in both Q and E? I thought it was a Core2 quad? I'm not entirely sure without looking it up, Intel's ARK site offers a layout on all their CPUs and specs

A Core2 older 775 board will run GTA IV, and 1GB is really not enough, my system is using 2 sticks of 1GB DDR2, the board supports 16GB, but I've yet to own one 4GB stick of anything! Hope to though.

GTA IV will run, but at slower to lowest res and draw distances, the only problem loading the game I had was Shader Model not being up to snuff.

My board running GTA gaming at present, the Asus P5Q SE2

http://ark.intel.com/products/chipsets/34470

Edited by Slamman

Yes, there was a C2D E6600. In fact, Q6600 is basically 2xE6600.

74cXSsx.png

Mine is the Q8200, I mentioned a few times, it's clocked just under at 2.33Ghz, but 4 cores, should get me by for more then a year I'm hoping, spent over $100 on it, locally, but on eBay, they sell for $100 still, like the Core2 T7600 I'm after, I need a C-note to get one of 'em

http://ark.intel.com/products/27250/Intel-...1066-MHz-FSB%29

EDIT, you moved it and messed up my append, but it's more on what my setups are at present, might not help the OP, but it could help me for deciding what CPU goes where

http://ark.intel.com/products/chipsets/29000

Basically I have Bearlake and Eaglelake Intels, and the GF7100 ECS running my Q8200 processor, so I have been looking for more Core2quads to get more then one good gaming rig from these boards

http://ark.intel.com/products/chipsets/29000

Edited by Slamman

thanks for mentioning that!!! i forgot all about it.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2303

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2276

The problem with Intel's approach is that all traffic from one pair of cores to the next has to go over the FSB, whereas AMD's quad-core Barcelona design places all four cores behind a shared L3 cache. With a single socket quad-core chip, FSB bandwidth is already at a premium given that four cores have to share the same amount of FSB bandwidth that two cores do in a dual-core system

bam!!! i think i might have found why when tbogt/tla/eflc launched, there was such a performance hit from GTA IV, and why i had no performance drops with x4 925 (patch made absolutely no improvement whatsoever). this has been bothering me for quite some time...

thanks for mentioning that!!! i forgot all about it.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2303

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2276

The problem with Intel's approach is that all traffic from one pair of cores to the next has to go over the FSB, whereas AMD's quad-core Barcelona design places all four cores behind a shared L3 cache. With a single socket quad-core chip, FSB bandwidth is already at a premium given that four cores have to share the same amount of FSB bandwidth that two cores do in a dual-core system

bam!!! i think i might have found why when tbogt/tla/eflc launched, there was such a performance hit from GTA IV, and why i had no performance drops with x4 925 (patch made absolutely no improvement whatsoever). this has been bothering me for quite some time...

Hate to break it to ya bro, but the Q6600 is faster than the Phenom II.

Even at stock, they are within 5% of each other.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/81?vs=53

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/displ...clocking_7.html

Back when I had my Q6600 @ 3.2GHz, GTA IV ran fine as did EFLC.

i only ran q6600 as stock 2.4 on intel stoughton motherboard (gateway gt 5634 iirc). tried different motherboards, xfx 9300 had overheating northbridge. xfx 680i wouldn't post properly with the chip. if it ran good for you, here's a cookie. as for the rest of your post, this is a forum dedicated to running GTA IV/EFLC at optimum levels for various machines. you linked pages with some software i wouldn't bother to use, not even games... let alone GTA IV.

i only ran q6600 as stock 2.4 on intel stoughton motherboard (gateway gt 5634 iirc). tried different motherboards, xfx 9300 had overheating northbridge. xfx 680i wouldn't post properly with the chip. if it ran good for you, here's a cookie. as for the rest of your post, this is a forum dedicated to running GTA IV/EFLC at optimum levels for various machines. you linked pages with some software i wouldn't bother to use, not even games... let alone GTA IV.

As I said. 5% difference in various benchmarks even at stock speeds. That's with the Q6600 only going at 2.4Ghz and the Phenom II going at 2.8GHz. Those benchmarks test all aspects of performance. GTA IV isn't some magical program that stresses various buses/cores etc. that those synthetic benchmarks wouldn't catch. Both suck balls compared to my 2600K @ 4.3Ghz though.

with gta V nearing us closer and closer, and after all the years gta IV has been out i am surprised at these stupid can i run it topics still popping up. computers have gotten cheap as of late, so stop trying to game on junk.

with gta V nearing us closer and closer, and after all the years gta IV has been out i am surprised at these stupid can i run it topics still popping up. computers have gotten cheap as of late, so stop trying to game on junk.

Don't be so ignorant. Not everyone can afford a new computer, no matter how cheap it may seem to be to you. And don't you think it's better that they ask here first when they have no computer knowledge?

If these topics bother you so much, don't read them!

Don't be so ignorant. Not everyone can afford a new computer, no matter how cheap it may seem to be to you. And don't you think it's better that they ask here first when they have no computer knowledge?

If these topics bother you so much, don't read them!

there are a million topics covering this exactly, and enough topics covering all the crappy pcs. and no not everyone knows pc, and they are abviously to stupid to do research... they would rather just open a new topic then do a simple search. 80% of the topics here are about this, i think over the past 5 years we have covered every possible sh*t pc spec for them to get an answer by searching.

remeber give a man a fish, feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, feed hime for life. you all just give the fish and not make them venture out a bit and learn something. also if you cant read the requirements on the box and then read the specs on your pc and do a simple comparason, then how do you manage to survive in the real world with real issues.

also if you cant read the requirements on the box and then read the specs on your pc and do a simple comparason, then how do you manage to survive in the real world with real issues.

gta IV came out three years ago. a lot of those system requirements for CPU and videocards can't be purchased new anymore. some newer chipsets are more powerful and can run them fine, some newer ones cannot. not to mention amd/intel/nvidia mis-naming their processors (ie anybody just starting to play pc games now might think that a 9500gt would run gta IV better than a 8800gt. and some old chipset combinations can really run gta IV better than anyone would think. i have spent thousands of dollars and years learning what works and what doesn't, but i don't think everyone should have to do the same, just to enjoy a $10, 3-year-old game.