In Game Real Life Product Placement

tejasm

As you may know, many games these days advertise. How would you feel, if for example R* makes the ingame billboards with a Nike sign instead of a ProLaps sign if Nike paid them? Or perhaps the real MacDonalds instead of Burger Shot?

That wouldn't sit well with me and I don't think any legit company would take the risk of advertising their products in a GTA game, that's not really a good look

senor_huevos_benedicto

Part of what makes GTA games what they are is the in game advertising that expertly parodies how idiotic real advertising is.

Do you honestly think they would include said stupid adverts? If you for a moment think that they would do this then you know next to nothing about the series.

Do you honestly think they would include said stupid adverts? If you for a moment think that they would do this then you know next to nothing about the series.

This sums it up nicely!!

Hydro_PlayboyX

no. because they want to create a universe thats why we dont see real cars, brands or landmarks with same name

I wouldnt like to see real companies. i enjoy the ones that make fun of real companies. Anyway I doubt many real companies would pay to have their company featured in a game such as GTA.

senor_huevos_benedicto

This is akin to people who want real cities and cars in the game.

It's all a parody. It all adds to the humour and the game itself.

MCLA have all real brands.

U Mirin' Brah?

Make sure to PM me if you're aware.

"The problem with the world is that the stupid people like pictures of famous people saying sh*t they never said and put it all over the goddam internet." - Albert Einstein

"It's simple, if it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

senor_huevos_benedicto

What's MCLA?

What's MCLA?

Midnight Club Los Angeles.

U Mirin' Brah?

"The problem with the world is that the stupid people like pictures of famous people saying sh*t they never said and put it all over the goddam internet." - Albert Einstein

Who cares? Small parodies of real brand names are way funnier.

Indeed I don't want advertisements for children's wear when I could be listening to "Babysovernight.com"

What's MCLA?

this is not GTA.

No? but it's made by another rockstar team....

U Mirin' Brah?

I've always felt like in-game advertising is the lowest point for a game company, which is also the reason why i hate EA-games so much.

And yeah, Midnight club LA had in-game advertising, but that's a racing game. Racing games without the real car names would be very strange.

senor_huevos_benedicto

What's MCLA?

this is not GTA.

No? but it's made by another rockstar team....

So's Red Dead Redemption but you don't see people wanting horses in GTA.

Let me say it again to everyone:

The fake adverts are essential to GTA.

No,Sprunk and Pisswasser are part of the GTA and it wouldn't be the same with out them.Why would anybody actually want advertising in GTA,for that all i need is to look trough window.

No, what I like about GTA is they can do WHATEVER they want with names. They made fun of MTV, FOX, Burger King, etc. and it made it feel like GTA had it's own world.

EncryptedReality

Remember GTA III, they advertised THEMSELVES!

user posted image

and Vice City

user posted image

They also advertised themselves on the planes and some shirts in SA and the walkways in IV

At first thought, you'd think an open world game would be suited to real advertising.

But it wouldn't work in a game whose main focus is parody and satire. One of the cornerstones of GTA is that it examines the world by taking the piss out of it; especially out of American culture. A big part of this is Rockstar's take on major corporate brands. With real advertising, that would all stop dead. No company is going to pay good money to be ridiculed.

In short, it would destroy the creative process and it would destroy GTA.

SlickSpencer8

No, because it's wicked funny for them to make fun of different companies. And that's what makes the city different and more interesting. dozingoff.gif

I spend half my time watching ads on TV than watching my show and it really want's to make me shoot my TV i don't want' to see this in a game i paid 60$ for.

U Mirin' Brah?

Their parodies are technically advertising, whether it be advertising their opinion on fast-food restaurants like Taco Bell (~Cluckin' Bell), Burger King (Burger Shot), or Coca Cola/Pepsi (~eCola). GTA just wouldn't be GTA if I started seeing billboards about "Burger King's newest burgers," and what would be worse, if they did use real brands they'd have to change how they advertise. Because normally on the radio you hear "Come on down for our newest diabetes-ready shakes," well how would it feel to hear that ad on the in-game radio 5 years after GTA V releases on their shakes aren't new, or even available at these places?

No, what I like about GTA is they can do WHATEVER they want with names. They made fun of MTV, FOX, Burger King, etc. and it made it feel like GTA had it's own world.

icon14.gif

No.

W3WQuU9.jpg

All the kids that surrounded me had superheroes - superman, spiderman etc. Paul was my superhero.

Damn you, Carrera GT.

Imagine Toyota actually PAY for such a commercial:

They would probably lawsuit them instead.