Would you like or dislike?

ILS_Supernova

ILS_Supernova

Hi all

Don't post here often if I'm honest, anyway . . .I've been looking through alot of topics about GTA 5 being more realistic or fun etc.

I've started to play GTA 4 again and I think they just went all out on the realistic side. Which is good but it got bit boring away from the missions (after playing online or flinging your car over building using the swing set)

For GTA 5 I would like to see a nice mixture between the two (I know someone else has said this but hear me out) I think mainly the idea is to build from GTA 4 as it missed out some things that many would have love to seen. Buying safehouses? Car/Bike dealership? More clothes stores?

Anyway I noticed stupidly while playing GTA4 that you can scream through a red traffic light infront of police and nothing happens. Would this take away from the game though if you were chased for speeding etc . . . . dozingoff.gif

If the rumours are true and we do get some kind of police AI thats different what would you like to see? Bearing in mind we seen the chase on foot in the trailer . . . . .

I am hoping for a nice balance.

Realistic (GTA IV) <---------- GTA V ----------> Fun (SA, VC, III)

same

Same here, but I would like a bit more realizem, then over the top.

I want GTA V to be sooooooo realistic! with a bit of fun.. Because realism is more important than fun.. An example of fun without realism is

Saints Row 3 which SUCKS!!

ME TOO .

I want GTA V to be sooooooo realistic! with a bit of fun.. Because realism is more important than fun.. An example of fun without realism is

If it sucks then it isn't fun. The right balance of realism vs fantastical is what creates fun in a game like GTA.

Too much either way and it isn't fun.

same

Same here, but I would like a bit more realizem, then over the top.

same here i can't wait to play inlove.gif

Sunrise Driver

STOP WITH THIS REALISTIC / FUN CRAP. GTA4 has more fun and things to do outside missions than GTA3.

How exactly GTA3 is more fun than GTA4?

P.S. And GTASA in 2005 was also damn realistic after GTAVC and GTA3.

STOP WITH THIS REALISTIC / FUN CRAP. GTA4 has more fun and things to do outside missions than GTA3.

It just was. Just because there are more things to do doesn't make it more fun. GTA4 was so realistic that it took away the fun. The game play in GTA3 was not as realistic but it was sure as hell fun. It's just my opinion but I much preferred GTA3, VC and SA over IV.

Sunrise Driver

It just was. Just because there are more things to do doesn't make it more fun.

Amazing explanation.......... dozingoff.gif

GTA4 was so realistic

Aha yeah. dozingoff.gif Just because graphics is enhanced doesn't mean it's realistic.

(wildstyle91 @ Friday, Feb 17 2012, 14:22)

Yeah, that balance needs to be just right

@ILS_Supernova

Picking on one of the specifics you mentioned in your opening post.

You couldn't buy safe houses and businesses and whatnot because that wasn't what the story was about. A lot of people complain about the GTA:IV's realism and lack of features. But they don't seem to realise that wasn't what IV was all about.

GTA:IV was all about the story. More precisely, it was all about the kind of story that can be told. You see, before then, GTA plotlines were thin, the themes were obvious and the characters two dimensional (in the literary sense). IV pioneered several new technologies that enabled the telling of a new type of story in the video game medium: a story that was deep, with thought provoking themes and three dimensional characters. GTA:IV was cinema in video game form.

So it wasn't a rags to riches story. It wasn't about setting up a criminal empire and making loads of money through illegal means. Because it didn't fit with the drama. The killer feature in GTA:IV was the story itself.

I grant you, this sucks to the player for whom buying safe houses and other such features were a staple of any GTA game.

But with GTA:V, this emphasis might change given the theme is "the pursuit of the almighty dollar." But this is almost at odds with the other theme mentioned which is one of a man who is trying to retire from his criminal past. It will be interesting to see how that pans out and to see what sort of features that leads to.

Peace.

Really? I found SR3 to be pretty fun tbh, but SR2 had more things to do, which made it a whole lot more funner than what 3 has to offer.

it will feature a level in which you shoot mushrooms with a bubble gun on the moon whilst riding a rainbow colored T rex as your being chased by an army of 1950's mobster Nyan cat

Yes I know it's amazing how i foretold the future, GTA V is obviously going to be the maddest game in history sarcasm.gif

But in all seriousness GTA IV isn't that realistic at all

You can still go on a Rocket launcher Rampage, drive sports cars down an airport runway at 200 MPH with the SWAT chasing after you pulling off sweet stunts as you go and you can have huge helicopter dog fights 1000's of feet above NYC.

I really wish people would stop seeing IV as the realistic anti christ and GTA V as if it's the cure for the "Realism" of IV. GTA has never gotten anymore realistic then it's ever been so just have faith for R* put all the toys in the sandbox that you want, JUST BECAUSE A GAME HAS BETTER GRAPHICS DOESN'T MEAN IT'S ANYMORE REALISTIC

So yeah stop with all this realistic/fun sh*t, it doesn't work.

Realism, all the way.

Realism breeds fun anyway.

The only games I ever play are games set in realistic settings.

GT5, RDR, LAN, Cricket, Boxing, Sports, All the GTA's, JC2, Far Cry 2 etc.

I never play games set in fantasy worlds, or with Alien characters. I just can't relate to those themes.

But everyone is different I suppose.

I've enjoyed all the GTA games so far and I'm sure the next will be no different. I don't think that IV was realistic at all, like the one man army movies, no one can aim but the hero, everyone but the hero dies. It's a game, its not supposed to be realistic. If the army where ever called in to take down ONE guy, I'm sure they would do it without losing a tank along the way...

why do people keep saying fun? It makes realistic sound horrible and un-fun, which it isn't (if its done right). Please instead of saying which do you prefer fun or realistic, say which do you prefer less realistic (III era) or more realistic (IV).

It wasn't the realism that sets us off in GTA, it's the seriousness. Everything is so serious that you feel like you're in the real world.

It's not that different than ours and that's why it doesn't work for most.

-Stock Loc

Harwood Butch3r

It just was. Just because there are more things to do doesn't make it more fun. GTA4 was so realistic that it took away the fun. The game play in GTA3 was not as realistic but it was sure as hell fun. It's just my opinion but I much preferred GTA3, VC and SA over IV.

Street Mix is right. What makes GTA III more fun than GTA IV? Personally I get bored of it after 10 minutes. Saying "it just was" isn't answering his question IMO.

Anyway obviously a balance is the most ideal.

Edited by Miamivicecity

Like people have said - GTA IV was no more than realistic than any other GTA. You could argue it was less realistic than San Andreas where you needed to eat and stay fit. What GTA IV was was too serious. This was welcome after San Andreas which was at times too silly. The character of Wu Si was a joke for instance, he's meant to be a ruthless Triad boss. Vice City got the balance right I feel. Somewhere in between IV and SA will be just right. That being said, personally I would suggest to Rockstar to not follow a rags to slightly better rags story for a while.

GTA IV is not really more serious. Characters are as crazy as in SA (Roman, Brucie, Packie, Faustin...). The only thing that changed is that they made missions more believable (well, I agree you don't see shootouts killing dozen of police officers in the streets after a bank heist in NYC, nor bike chases in the subway tunnels... but it's not like jumping from one plane to another of other crazy stuff like that).

I think the right balance was The Lost And Damned, where you had some relatively crazy missions (assaulting a penitentiary to kill one prisonner, crush cop roadblocks with a prison bus...), so it felt a little more "casual" and insane than IV's missions, yet it never got too far like SA (again, the jump from a plane to another was several steps too far, especially for a gangbangers from LS ghettos) or TBOGT (using choppers and parachutes on a daily basis)

Anyway I noticed stupidly while playing GTA4  that you can scream through a red traffic light infront of police and nothing happens. Would this take away from the game though if you were chased for speeding etc . . . . dozingoff.gif

I was happy with what the police chased you for in GTA IV. If you got a wanted level just for going through a red light then it would take away some of the fun.

I'm hoping the game starts out realistic. But the furthure you prgress the more unrealistic it gets.

Anyway I noticed stupidly while playing GTA4  that you can scream through a red traffic light infront of police and nothing happens. Would this take away from the game though if you were chased for speeding etc . . . . dozingoff.gif

I was happy with what the police chased you for in GTA IV. If you got a wanted level just for going through a red light then it would take away some of the fun.

It could be optional, and to be fair, escaping from a single star wanted level isn't the hardest thing in the world.

I would like for V to "feel" like real life but at the same time for it to be really fun, there weren't many crazy things to do in IV.

Grand_Theft_Peanut

Sooo many people on these forums think that just because GTA IV was going for realism it wasnt fun. I still had fun playing IV because it was such a fresh feel on GTA i was sick of the same sh*tty graphics from III VC and SA. There was so many cool things about GTA IV but the reason it wasnt over the top was because in this current Era of gaming i think the demand is REALISM! every game is trying to be more realistic than the next Eg. Battlefield 3 and im sure you can name many more of the top of ur head. While that looks nice on the eyes it sometimes gets rid of the fun things u like to do in a video game. A balance is needed