Why are people begging for DLCs?

Cyper

The V isn't even released, no one has a clue of what it really will feature and how big it really will be. Despite this I frequently see people 'begging' for DLCs like if it was a gift from Rockstar. Its not. Its a paid product. Like a movie, a shirt, a pack of beer.. or any other videogame. Rockstar aren't giving you anything. They're selling it. I think this attitude is dangerous. While Rockstar isn't that much focused on money, and while they do sell high quality products, there are gaming companies out that that dont. One case is Mafia 2. It was developed, striped down from features, sold for full price, and then the removed features were sold as DLCs for a quite high prize.

So really, DLC's isnt always good. It may just be another way to pay more for less. Personally, I don't want a load of DLCs to GTA V. I want it all from start. From that point, maybe something extra. Not saying that DLCs is all bad or that people shouldnt buy it. But I at least it might make people to start thinking.

The V isn't even released, no one has a clue of what it really will feature and how big it really will be. Despite this I frequently see people 'begging' for DLCs like if it was a gift from Rockstar. Its not. Its a paid product. Like a movie, a shirt, a pack of beer.. or any other videogame. Rockstar aren't giving you anything. They're selling it. I think this attitude is dangerous. While Rockstar isn't that much focused on money, and while they do sell high quality products, there are gaming companies out that that dont. One case is Mafia 2. It was developed, striped down from features, sold for full price, and then the removed features were sold as DLCs for a quite high prize.

So really, DLC's isnt always good. It may just be another way to pay more for less. Personally, I don't want a load of DLCs to GTA V. I want it all from start. From that point, maybe something extra.

I'm only going to stick to what I saw on the forums:

"There's goign to be DLC, but it will not be the same as EFLC. It's DLC and will be much smaller..."

Since I don't think GTA V is going to revolve around the Families and Ballas, I do want a DLC episode that does.

Since I don't think GTA V is going to revolve around the Families and Ballas, I do want a DLC episode that does.

WTF?

I hope you are being sarcastic because if not, then you just agreed to a bet and you are not even sure yourself.

WTF?

I hope you are being sarcastic because if not, then you just agreed to a bet and you are not even sure yourself.

I said "I dont think GTA V will REVOLVE around the Families and Ballas". I don't. But they will DEFINITELY be in the game. That's what our bet is. Whether they will be in the game or not, not whether they will be the focal point of the game.

i think - with the multiple protagonist theory - we will have 2 storylines from the off - that is to use IV example - IV, TLAD and BOGT packaged as one game.

Why does it matter though? Games noadays hold you for ransom then sell you cut content just to rake it in. LA Noire did this. RDR had the gay rip off "exclusive" bullsh*t.

GTA IV had Episodes. They avoided the usual bollocks and instead, for a mere tenner, gave you an expansion pack. the storyline in BOGT and TLAD lasted longer then COD's - and cost a fith of the amount. IF they do that with V, or DLC adds LV/SF - fair enough.

If they charge for individual cars or missions then, GTA will die a little for me. That and exclusive content (one store gets you a gun, another a car another a hat for your protag. Who cares) - preorder bonuses should be models, soundtrack, an art booklet/dvd etc.

DLC is a controversial thing. in some cases, as said, EFLC for example, it's good.

in others - as also stated above - such as LA Noire, RDR, Preorder bonuses and shop specific content (IM LOOKING AT YOU UBISOFT) it's horendous, and bad - to the point where i feel why should i buy the game new? If i'm gonna be forced to buy half the game AGAIN, then why the hell should i?

GTA IV set the standard for DLC - that R* have not followed up (i'm aware LA Noire was team bondi) and MP3 will also likely fail here. Unfortunately, apart from Fallout 3/NV, i can't think of a game i've played with DLC worth PAYING for.

EDIT: If V DOES have the rippoff DLC, then I will most likely NOT purchase it, and probably wait for GTA in the preowned bin - dont wanna sound like Zee here but if the producers are gonna be selfish enough to sell us bits of the game after release, they don't deserve my money - which i work hard for. Anything less then IV's EFLC will be a huge disappointment in my eyes, and will result in my opinion of R* instantly dropping to one near Zee's infamous opinions, and I'll no longer follow their games with as much enthuesiasm or love, and GTA will become "just another game" as opposed to the best game series in the world. I PRAY R* do not take this mainstream route, but rather follow their own example.

Edited by Mokrie Dela

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

087rqaU.pngVw81Z2a.pngxWvxZoT.png1fb6cYB.png

Click here to view my Poetry

The Ballad Of Gay Tony and The Lost And Damned packs are the only DLC I've ever actually liked, I think they are the best type of DLC any Game Company could do.

I really dispise Multiplayer packs that just add weapons or maps and I think it's amazing that you can buy both EFLC packs for just £3 over a CoD mappack! suicidal.gif

The Ballad Of Gay Tony and The Lost And Damned packs are the only DLC I've ever actually liked, I think they are the best type of DLC any Game Company could do.

I really dispise Multiplayer packs that just add weapons or maps and I think it's amazing that you can buy both EFLC packs for just £3 over a CoD mappack! suicidal.gif

exactly. EFLC can only be described as a new game. Games like Forza charge you £2 for a single car. F*ck off. I remember the speculation that IV's DLC was gonna be a map extension or a car. But then R* spoilt us with high quality and high quantiy, for a low price. They HAVE to top that, if the want V to be the best it can be.

as i said, anything less - single cars, maps etc - will be an insult to the fans, to the poeple who made R* successful. It'll be a "want the game? f*ck you pay me, want a car? f*ck you pay me" (goodfellas reference there).

I honesly don't expect R* to sell out to the usual dlc, but i am concernd they might.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

087rqaU.pngVw81Z2a.pngxWvxZoT.png1fb6cYB.png

Click here to view my Poetry

I would love to see DLC that goes right in to the original game. Like add ons too the big game, not stand alone episodes. I really hated that some DLC cars where mission based and stuff like that. If i want to drive around in a Regina I would have to start TLAD. And if i want to drive a car in TBOGT, then i have to change save and sh*t like that.

Well you get the point, dlc is nice. But make it so it's addons! Make the game more fun that way!

Still they sold poorly according to Dan Houser. I was like wot? Easily the best DLC for any game this generation if second only to Bethesda. Real value for money.

Going on GTA IV dlc it's clear that R* did not cut any content from the main game. They did not cut any corners. They did the best that they could and thats very admirable. They spent a lot of time and effort on those two DLC's after the main game was finished it shows. This is completely a-typical and goes against the tide of nickel-and-dime-sea of mediocracy school of thought.

GTA fans understand that Rockstar are out to make money but they aren't out to rip you off... that's a big difference. They are all about building on their already impressive reputation and taking gaming to another level.

If DLC is handled in the proper way.... there is nothing wrong with it. It complements the already stellar core experience. They are offering you the opportunity to expand your game with brand new content. Who wouldn't want expansions to GTA V?

Red Dead and L.A. were admittedly a bit of a sore point. Do I want micro-transaction and single mission dlcs, etc. in GTA V. Absolutely f*cking not. I like multiplayer as much as the next guy but if it's multiplayer sh*te I could care less. As long as expansions to the core game are just that and are substantial offering's then everything's gravy.

Everybody knows that 99% of DLC is not only sh*te but a complete rip-off and that is probably why GTA IV dlc didn't sell. Especially considering the price was quite high for DLC. People lumped it in with all the garbage when R* were legitimately trying to lead by example and do something pretty ground-breaking by comparison and after being burnt they are probably just going to pull the same old sh*t like everybody else if they didn't reap any discernible reward by going the extra mile.

That's why as a company I support Rockstar's approach to DLC because I genuinely believe that they are trying to move the industry in the right direction. All this emphasis on map packs and mp items and pre-order/monetization bullsh*t doesn't really get anybody anywhere and if Rockstar attempt to pull this sh*t I hope it bombs.

Then they'll either go back to innovating or just stop doing it.

GTA IV set the standard for DLC - that R* have not followed up (i'm aware LA Noire was team bondi) and MP3 will also likely fail here. Unfortunately, apart from Fallout 3/NV, i can't think of a game i've played with DLC worth PAYING for.

I don't agree that they didn't follow up. RDR's Undead Nightmare was one-half the price of one GTA IV episode but it's a comparable expansion. Even though it had a lot fewer missions it went farther in transforming gameplay, changing the genre from western to western horror/survival and giving the game world completely different enemies, weapons, and rules rather than changing the player character. The rest of the RDR DLC was add-ons or multiplayer-focused and I think that just represents a shift in focus as Rockstar experiments with what kinds of DLC are most successful, being only the second attempt at it after GTA IV. And it did make a difference that Microsoft bankrolled development of the GTA IV DLC up front, $50 million, rather than Rockstar having to finance it.

For me, TLAD and TBOGT were a stroke of genius. More stories on the same fabulous map. And the way that the three storylines intertwined was superb (even if it left a couple of slight plot holes).

They could make improvements for GTA:V:

1. Unify the map. As each episode is released, changes that are made to the map for later stories are incorporated into the map for the original game and any earlier episodes.
  2. Update the character models. As characters are released in the episodes their appearance will have been polished and finalised. These changes should find their way into the original game and earlier episodes to maintain consistency. This applies to both protagonists and supporting characters.
  3. Feature unification mode. An optional mode that allows you to play the original game and earlier episodes incorporating weapons and vehicles that were introduced in later episodes. Having this as an option still allows you to play the original game as intended, if you want.
  4. Chronological storyline campaign. A special mode that guides you through all the storylines simultaneously, changing characters as necessary to allow you to complete the unified storyline in chronological order.
I do hope they do episodes for GTA:V. I just like the way they get more use out of the same map and more GTA is always better.

P.S. I think Rockstar missed a trick with GTA:IV. They should and still could release a GTA:IV Unified Trilogy Edition containing the features I outlined above. Whether it's technically possible is a whole different question.

Edited by meson1

I hate DLCs. I have already bought the game why should i pay even more to enjoy added features? Sometimes its close to the cost of the actual game. No thank you.

I still haven't bought the DLCs for IV and i have no plan too, if the price of them ever drops to around £3-£5 then i'll consider it.

I hate DLCs. I have already bought the game why should i pay even more to enjoy added features? Sometimes its close to the cost of the actual game. No thank you.

I still haven't bought the DLCs for IV and i have no plan too, if the price of them ever drops to around £3-£5 then i'll consider it.

Well you're missing out then, because both DLC episodes were awesome.

The absolute worst has to be the Saints Row the Third DLC's. I've never seen a company milk their cash cow like Volition does. What about this supposed Genki Island DLC which was reported to be in the original game's data files but was locked out of it, just so they could sell it as a DLC later.

Because of their DLC approach, Saints Row the Third was- or at least felt- like a uncompleted product.

GTA IV set the standard for DLC -  that R* have not followed up (i'm aware LA Noire was team bondi) and MP3 will also likely fail here. Unfortunately, apart from Fallout 3/NV, i can't think of a game i've played with DLC worth PAYING for.

I don't agree that they didn't follow up. RDR's Undead Nightmare was one-half the price of one GTA IV episode but it's a comparable expansion. Even though it had a lot fewer missions it went farther in transforming gameplay, changing the genre from western to western horror/survival and giving the game world completely different enemies, weapons, and rules rather than changing the player character. The rest of the RDR DLC was add-ons or multiplayer-focused and I think that just represents a shift in focus as Rockstar experiments with what kinds of DLC are most successful, being only the second attempt at it after GTA IV. And it did make a difference that Microsoft bankrolled development of the GTA IV DLC up front, $50 million, rather than Rockstar having to finance it.

I got so much more play out of Undead Nightmare than even TLAD or TBOGT which I didn't even think was possible as they were already impressive and it was half the price. In my opinion Rockstar are following Bethesda's example... in that the only way to make substantial DLCs with affordable prices and make money on them is to create them with the primary intension of bundling them with other [fluff] stuff to spread the cost and making the money later at retail at full/70% of the price.

That way they initially take a loss on the DLC but they make up the money on the disc and if there's enough suckers out there to buy all that crap so that I can have great value for money on the main expansion then great.

Edited by Guanxi

I recon we will see some smaller DLC (e.g. An awsome new outfit, a small vehicle pack). But since TLAD and TBOGT seemed to be a waste on waste- and even R* admitted that they didn't want to do any more episodic DLC.

In most cases DLC represents everything that's wrong with the gaming industry, such as the old horse armor DLC. Rockstar on the other hand provided the best DLC I've ever seen with GTAIV, the ballad of gay tony and the lost and damned are pretty much what would be considered expansion packs back in the pre-DLC days and that's the kind of DLC I'm looking forward to. So even though DLC is pretty much code for "ripping you off for one additional feature" these days, Rockstar is still such a stand up company that I'd trust them to handle the DLC situation well.

Agreed!!! Wow, he is on here wishfully thinking and talking about V and he is ignoring 2 new stories to play? Not too mention the new features, wow, just wow. In a way I wish I were him so I could play the EFLC for the first time again. Go get them dude!!!

Agreed!!! Wow, he is on here wishfully thinking and talking about V and he is ignoring 2 new stories to play? Not too mention the new features, wow, just wow. In a way I wish I were him so I could play the EFLC for the first time again. Go get them dude!!!

Yes, RED_. The two episodes are not your typical rip-off DLC.

You get two whole new stories which dovetail with each other and GTA:IV. You suddenly get a whole new perspective on various aspects of the overall storyline. The new vehicles, weapons and other features are really incidental bonuses.

I hope you do get them and enjoy them. In my view they really are worth it.

P.S. Red_ Sensible sig. biggrin.gif

I've definitely heard that they are great with one of them being an completely new game (TBoGT?) but with other DLCs for other games only being a small feature at a high price i just stayed away from the entire idea. It seems they are getting more popular with companies and at the very least with R* they seem to be giving you your monies worth.

P.S. Red_ Sensible sig.  biggrin.gif

Haha, oh yeah! cool.gif

Edited by RED_

Anyone who objects to dlc for gta v are probably just jaded PC gamers who never bothered to play tlad or tbogt, both of which could be standalone games for a third of the price of gta iv. Pretty darn good deal if you ask me, the two dlcs really brought the story of iv together and gave you kind of an immersive feeling, like the city was real and things were going on around you that didn't necessarily involve you directly

there are several good posts (in my opinion) in this topic about why substantial DLCs like EFLC are a good thing, and I agree completely. Moreover, great ideas were stated about making new DLC weapons, cars, interiors etc be retroactive to the original game / protagonist, when possible.

More generally, I want to see new "big DLCs" like EFLC continue to come out year after year to renew the game playability until the next full release of a new GTA , for which we have been waiting sooooo loooooong.

I wish R* would keep putting out EFLCs for GTA IV, so we would not all be so hungry after 4+ years.

The downside is, as mentioned, for some reason EFLC did not make money and, apparently the cost of making big DLC is very high, though I don't know why it should be, since the whole city and game engine was already built.

Me too, i just dont get it.. Why would anyone love DLCs!! To be honest the only good DLC this gen is the 2 DLCs (TBOGT & TLAD) For GTA IV and Undead Nightmare for RDR, they were like a whole new game.. Its was worth every penny i spent on them. If more companies started doing DLC the way R* did with GTA IV and RDR.. I will be glad to spend my money on them, but as of right now i wont but any dlc for any game other than R* games (GTA, Max Payne, RDR , Midnight Club)

Because they're worried about not getting LV & SF dozingoff.gif

Yes, I would assume this as well.

caprisig.jpg

I'm kind of on the fence about DLC for GTA V.

I liked EFLC alot, both of those expansions were what DLC should be. I would be more than happy to pay $10 for an add-on that would add maybe some small islands to the map, additional weapons/cars/motorcycles/etc. I'd pay $20 for something like TLaD or TBoGT.

on the otherhand, I don't want individual packs like $1 for a gun,$3 for a car, $15 to be able to play the last mission. But Rockstar isn't run by the people at Volition or Activision, so I think we're alright.

interpolfan11

I honestly don't mind paying for DLC, even crap DLC like car packs or map packs. I just hate how developing DLC has to take up a game studio's precious development time that could be spent on actually making new games.