Is marriage necessary?

DEALUX

What is your opinion? Do you think marriage is necessary to prove your love and commitment to someone?

I think it is unnecessary, if you can trust your partner enough, but this would be a sort of ideal situation. But then what would prevent him\her from walking away from you one day? Are people more likely to run away if not married?

What do you think?

The Audiophile Thread

LG 32GN650-B | TESORO Gram XS | PRO X Superlight 2 | Xbox Elite v2 | JBL Tune 720BT | Truthear Hexa

i7 4790K 4.4 GHz | RTX 4070 | 32 GB Crucial DDR3 | ADATA 256GB | Samsung 860 PRO 2TB

Xbox | Xbox 360 | Xbox Series X | PS2 | PS3 | Google Pixel 6 Pro | Fanatec CSL DD McLaren GT3 V2

But then what would prevent him\her from walking away from you one day? Are people more likely to run away if not married?

If the only thing keeping you from leaving your partner is the thought of legal repercussions, you've already lost the battle.

Marriage certainly isn't necessary for a successful relationship. But I don't mean it shouldn't be a thing. If you love someone enough that you want to spend the rest of your life with them and want to prove to them, yourself and the world how much you love each other than marriage is a fantastic way of doing that. It's also quite useful in terms of the legal system: keeping track of families/households etc.

user posted image

If you love someone enough that you want to spend the rest of your life with them and want to prove to them, yourself and the world how much you love each other than marriage is a fantastic way of doing that. It's also quite useful in terms of the legal system: keeping track of families/households etc.

I was referring exactly to that, but I wouldn't really care about proving the world anything, it sounds kind of shallow to me.

The Audiophile Thread

LG 32GN650-B | TESORO Gram XS | PRO X Superlight 2 | Xbox Elite v2 | JBL Tune 720BT | Truthear Hexa

i7 4790K 4.4 GHz | RTX 4070 | 32 GB Crucial DDR3 | ADATA 256GB | Samsung 860 PRO 2TB

Xbox | Xbox 360 | Xbox Series X | PS2 | PS3 | Google Pixel 6 Pro | Fanatec CSL DD McLaren GT3 V2

Nope,

If you really love someone, you don't need to marrie.

Then they won't need to be prevent of walking away.

But it is the best thing to do when people really love each other.

Words from a 14 year old boy without a girlfriend...

Edited by ThaBoY

Marriage is really just a "clinch" in a relationship. Let's look at it this way, Person G is your girlfriend. Person A is the guy jealous of your girlfriend. Person A asks you if she's available, and you say "no, we're married". Would Person A really try to steal her once he knew that? Probably not. We've seen it in movies (and please don't give me that "movies are fake" crap it happens irl too). But like I said, it's the "clinch" of the relationship. It shows that you're ready to stay with each other for a long time and either build a family or just live with each other happily until the day you die. But no, I don't think marriage is really that necessary.

I've been with my girlfriend so long, the idea of getting married seems a bit redundant. Doesn't stop people asking me when we'll get married though. Pfft.

user posted image

Do you think marriage is necessary to prove your love and commitment to someone?

I re-express the OP's question:

Do you think it´s necessary to go to jail to prove temporary sexual attraction?

Well, not really. But I´m kind of romantic and I believe in monogamy. I know, I´m lost.

Edited by NaidRaida

Marriage is really just a "clinch" in a relationship. Let's look at it this way, Person G is your girlfriend. Person A is the guy jealous of your girlfriend. Person A asks you if she's available, and you say "no, we're married". Would Person A really try to steal her once he knew that? Probably not. We've seen it in movies (and please don't give me that "movies are fake" crap it happens irl too). But like I said, it's the "clinch" of the relationship. It shows that you're ready to stay with each other for a long time and either build a family or just live with each other happily until the day you die. But no, I don't think marriage is really that necessary.

That's pretty much my view as well, but it shouldn't be like that. If your wife would leave you for another guy if she wasn't married to you, that means she is unhappy with you and (probably) the only thing keeping her is this "clinch".

So, would you rather live with an unhappy wife that probably doesn't love you or would you rather dump her or have her dump you?

The Audiophile Thread

So, would you rather live with an unhappy wife that probably doesn't love you or would you rather dump her or have her dump you?

I'd dump her right away, for obvious reasons.

ghost of delete key
Do you think marriage is necessary to prove your love and commitment to someone?

I think the more relevant question is, "is love and commitment necessary for a decent marriage?"

By the way OP, forgive me for being so informal, but may I call you "_" for short? biggrin.gif

scagv35.jpg

"I can just imagine him driving off the edge of a cliff like Thelma & Louise, playing his Q:13 mix at full volume, crying into a bottle." - Craig

Short answer, No, Better answer is everyone feels differently about such things, I feel a normal family is a better construct.

Having lesbian or gay couples trouble me in principle, despite their attributes as people.

Some celeb couples avoid marriage based on the divorce rate, or a fear that making that commitment would lead to breaking up, and some sort of nasty annulment ... Others like the Kardasians getting married is seen as a publicity stunt!

All in all, it's not something one can ask about, other then the couple agreeing or disagreeing is the real question

I think the more relevant question is, "is love and commitment necessary for a decent marriage?"

By the way OP, forgive me for being so informal, but may I call you "_" for short? biggrin.gif

I guess you could marry your best friend or something and have an open relationship, but what would be the point of that?

Sure.

The Audiophile Thread

Having lesbian or gay couples trouble me in principle, despite their attributes as people.

Why the f*ck would you bring that into it?

Edited by Robinski
user posted image

Why the f*ck would bring that into it?

Because he's a dumb holier than thou Christian.

I think in these modern days people are probably put off by the high rates of divorce or how they see celebrities get married and end up splitting after a year. I mean, its nothing like how my grandparents rolled. Meet someone at 16+ get married 3 years later and stay together until one of them die.

Marriage probably isn't necessary anymore, but I see no reason not to get married if that's what you both want. There's nothing stopping you from going down to a registry office and not have some expensive wedding.

The way see it, it's just a tradition. Of course, in many countries it marriage comes with more or less major legal benefits and such, but in my opinion it's just a way to try and convince two people that they truly love eachothers. And as we can see in today's divorce rates, it's lost a lot of it's "credibility" over the years and if I were to chose, it would come with no benefits at all.

8wjrzl.png

One thing is for sure: I have very high respect for older people who are married for many many years.

It´s a thing that I really don´t like in modern world: Before giving each other a hand - BANG! - Divorce! I would like to see more people staying together even if they struggle.

Lots of rose colour going on up in here. A reason a lot of couples from older generations stick together for so long is because of the idea of marriage is different than it is today. Back in the days when they were children/young adults, divorce was still stigmatised and a much more uncommon thing. They didn't have better relationships, or a more thoughtful approach, but they were simply less likely to get out of an unhappy marriage. This was especially true for women, being a single mother is still a bad thing to be when looking for someone but you were practically untouchable to most men in those older generations.

If anything, to me, higher divorce rates mean that more people are willing to admit they made a mistake or that they're unhappy now rather than suffer for the rest of their lives. It might be tough if there are kids present, but I think in the long run (if a proper custody agreement can be reached) it's better for a kid to have two separate but happy parents rather than a single parenting unit that constantly teeters on the brink of total destruction.

user posted image

I hate to be the drooling jackass that links to seemingly stupid sh*t online, but this is quite the interesting read.

Haha, fairly interesting read. Obviously he hits on a lot of good points about double standards, but god damn it comes off as bitter. Reading through the comments it seems he went through not only one, but two worst case scenario divorces, which will make you bitter as f*ck it would seem.

Edited by TEoS

9QRzUfn.gif?1

Womens opinion yes. Mens opinion no.

- [- No Fear. No Limits. No Equal. -] -

- [- Ride For Life -] -

Digging deep. It's not just an expression that's thrown around the locker room at halftime. It's a way of life. A daily code that drives a champions existence. It's not always glamorous. It's not always blue skies and sunny days, and its certainly not always welcome. But love it or hate it, to become a true champion take pure, unrestricted commitment.

na89340qv0n34b09q340

I don't need a declaration to prove I am good at making eggs, but if I ever want to brag to my friends about my egg making skills they'd probably request documentation.

Marriage is not necessary.

I'll tell you my story.

I've been with the same lady since '87. We didn't get married until '98, and even that was against our belief. I have good benefits where I work, and in '98 they decided to allow for domestic partnership. I went to my HR lady and said "hey, I'm interested in the domestic partnership thing. Just so you know - my partner is a lady". The HR lady was like "No problem, I'll get you the paperwork tomorrow". I got the paperwork and the first requirement (all in bold) said you had to be of the same sex.

When I got home I relayed the news to my lady and she said "should we just get married?". So we got married in City Hall during our lunch break. No rings or anything - different last names even.

We have the same relationship we've always had - married or not. Now we just get to partake in some of the benefits of being married. Insurance, taxes, stuff like that.

In all honesty, I hope you all have the same luck I've had when it comes to finding someone to spend your life with.

When I got home I relayed the news to my lady and she said "should we just get married?". So we got married in City Hall during our lunch break. No rings or anything - different last names even.

That's friggin Awesome icon14.gif

I'll admit it, the literature has completely jaded the idea of marriage for me. It won't stop me going through with it because hey, I'm part of society too. It's not just the way you're viewed on the street or at home, but by superiors at work and the government.

I'd definitely, definitely go in with a watertight prenup. Even though I am destined for a relatively modest lifestyle, I don't want to be cleaned out.

I am a masculist for this reason.

@trip Sounds like you have an awesome partner.

@Jay I wouldn't do anything I wouldn't really want just because society would otherwise not like me very much, but I'm not completely against marriage, I just don't see the point of it in general. I also don't like the shallow things that come with it, like the wedding ring which somehow is supposed to measure your love for your partner. I honestly wouldn't want anything else from my life partner but love, being there for me etc.

The Audiophile Thread

@trip Sounds like you have an awesome partner.

Yeah, she's cool. Not your average lady I'd say.

• 2 weeks later...

My friend and his old lady are groovy as well, He and I relate pretty well, but he LOVES football and I've no interest

Recently his wife was supposedly cheating on him at work, and his parents got divorced, my brother is perhaps getting divorced because of suspected infidelity so yeah, it can get pretty tricky, relationships in general

Marriage was created by feminists so they can divorce you and steal your stuff  tounge.gif

It´s all about a good prenup. Getting a feminist, well, then you´re lost anyway. lol