3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

OrionSR

Swiping Tenpenny's Indestructible Firetruck

OrionSR

How did jam8tone get credit for a route that is almost identical to the strategy I posted under method two of the opening post in this topic? And regardless of which route is best I had to work out a completely new control strategy without any frame of reference. This was an extremely difficult challenge and I'm not the least be happy about having the strategy claimed or given away by players that refuse to read a simple written description. What is it, without a video it never happened?

Lethal Vaccine

Well, for me, I learn best through pictures and videos (visual learner). So when I am looking to do a GTA Game and obtain Special Vehicles, I use Guides that are on Youtube, thus pictures/videos. When I see a wall of text, it sometimes "scares" me or quite often, confuses me. But when I see it done right before my eyes, I can obtain it via mimicking what I see...

That's what happened with the AP Girlfriend Vehicles. I saw fnxrak's Video on how to get the AP Monster. Little did I know he was doing it EARLY, thus restricted with a 4 star wanted level. I always thought you actually needed to be wanted to obtain them. But then later after I figured out the proper formula of what I needed to get them all, it became much easier. Now, the first time I read a long, extensive Guide on how to get them, they seemed very hard to get and it confused me...

Edited by Militia

OrionSR

I understand that the video is more useful to most players, that's not the point. I have let this issue drop before but now you are posting in my topic, and jam is local. I would very much like to welcome jam8tone to the forums but this is a touchy issue for me.

jam8tone, please tell me more about this independent discovery.

Militia, it's method two, CP and FI in this topic. Other descriptions cause confusion and are not welcome here.

Lethal Vaccine

So, if there is in fact a better route to take in obtaining the Fire Truck on PS2, nobody can know it and I gotta keep it to myself?! Is that what I am getting at, here?

I remember when I PMed you 9 months ago and you actually said to stop PM'ing you and write it in the forum so EVERYONE CAN SEE AND DISCUSS. Meanwhile, you're telling me I can't tell about a possible better method to get it... :panic::panic::panic::blink::blink::blink:

At the end of the day, we are all here helping everyone to get the Special Vehicles they want to obtain in a GTA Game. Who made what discovery isn't the issue...

Edited by Militia

OrionSR

Seriously? You don't understand why I find it annoying for you to call that strategy jam8tone's method?

Perhaps my comment wasn't understood.

We are discussing method two, as defined in the opening post of this topic, a strategy for PS2 and unskilled keyboard players to obtain the FI Ladder Truck from End of the Line using gamepad controls. Any other description is not welcome in this documentation topic.

AP and DP are not appropriate labels in this topic. Please use FI and CP to avoid confusion.

I have been trying very hard not to tell you to do anything because I think you will probably do the opposite. I've tried setting the proper example, and suggesting alternatives and their advantages, and even appealing for a personal favor. Now I am discussing how it feels to have someone I thought was a friend completely discount my effort an accomplishment of adapting a working strategy for gamepad controls. Figuring something like this out from scratch is a lot greater challenge than following a strategy someone else has already proven will work.

And to be clear, I am not saying that jam8tone did not discover this on his own. Only that I posted first, so... Ha! I scooped him at least.

LeonTheKiller

Just to clarify, Militia and I were having a personal conversation about Tenpenny's Fire Truck, He asked me how i managed to obtain it. I made that map to show him which route i used, and that was it. Relax Orion, i appreciate your efforts, you have done a lot for this community. i'm very grateful for your work.

Lethal Vaccine

Exactly like _Douglas_ has said. We were just PM'ing each other about the Fire Truck and I asked how he got it, considering everyone else on this forum appears to be obtaining it on PC, which is the easier way of doing it. _Douglas_ did the impossible and got the Police Car and Fire Truck on PS2.........I'd think he is doing something right, right?

Instead of abandoning the entire route that Tenpenny follows, _Douglas_ just showed me the way he follows, which is a good portion of Tenpenny's route himself, thus avoiding massive hills and a lot of trouble.

The way I see it: The closer to the Bomb Shop WITHOUT mission failure, the closer to obtaining this Vehicle. At the end of the day, we want to obtain it. It doesn't matter what method is used. I find _Douglas_ method in theory to be a lot easier. I mean look at the red colored line he drew. You basically make two SMALL turns, then a straight away to the Bomb Shop. For PC, this is almost the same. You follow Tenpenny, and 2/3 through the chase, you divert your course, flip the camera around and bolt to the Bomb Shop. Same principle that Douglas shared with me, instead of making tons of turns, going down large massive hills, etc. The hills are one of the hardest parts to obtain it on PS2. Without hills, it might be easier.

Edited by Militia

jam8tone

How did jam8tone get credit for a route that is almost identical to the strategy I posted under method two of the opening post in this topic? And regardless of which route is best I had to work out a completely new control strategy without any frame of reference. This was an extremely difficult challenge and I'm not the least be happy about having the strategy claimed or given away by players that refuse to read a simple written description. What is it, without a video it never happened?

I am very sorry about this. I will post in my video description that it was a coincidence of me finding the route to claim the firetruck on the console versions. I honestly had no idea about your post and I should have looked more carefully before saying it was my idea. I don't want to be unfair to anyone so I take it all back. :)

OrionSR

No, don't take it ALL back. I'm willing to accept that you worked out a similar strategy on your own - and well done, btw. I know from experience what a significant challenge that was, and the rush you probably got from figuring out something new that would help a lot of people. I don't want to take that away from you. Besides, your video is considerably more useful than my wall of text, and something I really wanted to be made but I couldn't do it myself - so, thanks.

And now that we've worked that out I can finally edit my opening posts again. We need more descriptive names for the strategies. Got any suggestions?

Is there are reason you drive a little farther south than the route shown on the map linked for method two. I notice that you ran into a little traffic north of the freeway - something that tends to cause nasty camera control issues. This won't happen if you keep within the "forbidden" a little farther north. I don't think I encountered any traffic until after I made that final turn south next to the skate park. But then again, it seemed to provide a brief rest from wrestling the camera around.

Has anyone on PS2 revisited the method one strategy suggested for PC players? I have a memory of confirming the collection of Tenpenny's firetruck with a PS2 player fairly soon after this topic was started. And IIRC, he end up finally succeeding after switching back to the short route. I had a similar experience learning keyboard on PC. After working on the slow and controlled method for so long the short and quick strategy was considerably more manageable.

Lethal Vaccine

No, don't take it ALL back. I'm willing to accept that you worked out a similar strategy on your own - and well done, btw. I know from experience what a significant challenge that was, and the rush you probably got from figuring out something new that would help a lot of people. I don't want to take that away from you. Besides, your video is considerably more useful than my wall of text, and something I really wanted to be made but I couldn't do it myself - so, thanks.

And now that we've worked that out I can finally edit my opening posts again. We need more descriptive names for the strategies. Got any suggestions?

Is there are reason you drive a little farther south than the route shown on the map linked for method two. I notice that you ran into a little traffic north of the freeway - something that tends to cause nasty camera control issues. This won't happen if you keep within the "forbidden" a little farther north. I don't think I encountered any traffic until after I made that final turn south next to the skate park. But then again, it seemed to provide a brief rest from wrestling the camera around.

Has anyone on PS2 revisited the method one strategy suggested for PC players? I have a memory of confirming the collection of Tenpenny's firetruck with a PS2 player fairly soon after this topic was started. And IIRC, he end up finally succeeding after switching back to the short route. I had a similar experience learning keyboard on PC. After working on the slow and controlled method for so long the short and quick strategy was considerably more manageable.

More descriptive names for the strategies? Method 1 = PC Method. Method 2 = PS2 Method. It's same as LCS. There is exclusive methods for PSP Players and exclusive methods for PS2 Players cuz things work differently. There is no difference with this Fire Truck. It just doesn't work via PC Method, thus PS2 method Only works. I know you know someone who claimed to get it on PS2 via the PC Method, but people don't have to express the exact truth. This is what pisses me off. When I ask someone how to get it, they always divert back to the original PC Method which doesn't work. This is why I asked Douglas. What is best to do? Ask a PC Player how to get it on PS2. Or ask a fellow PS2 Player how to get it on PS2? It's common sense, and I just think his route he drew up in paint is much better considering you follow the Fire Truck and can get closer to the Bomb Shop without losing Tenpenny and having to reload and retry. When someone tells me their strategy got them said Fire Truck in 15-20 tries....I'd assume they are doing something right. Especially, when they tell me getting the Bomb Shop is EASY. The hard part is getting out of the Bomb Shop and back onto Tenpenny's tail...So the ONLY way to get it then is Method 1 and 2 listed here? No other methods are aloud?

Exactly this. So why is Douglas' route bad? I bolded the parts where you say short route. That's the thing.....Douglas FOLLOWS Tenpenny, just like "Method 1" does for PC Players. Method 2, completely abandons Tenpenny. Goes down massive inclined hills, has a handful of turns, etc. I wouldn't discount Douglas' Method, considering his method skips all that in its entirety and makes one big straight away to the Bomb Shop. Just like in "Method 1" for PC.

Edited by Militia

jam8tone

Thank you for your understanding. The main reason I drove further south was a personal preference to the camera angles. I guess I found turning right easier than turning left so going right near the skate park felt more natural. But yeah it was an unnecessary detour and I guess I was too excited that I uploaded the video before perfecting the method completely but I am happy to use an easier route like yours or douglas's next time round which is more practical and less harsh on the difficulty factor.

Maybe calling the different routes "mouse" or "Non mouse" so anyone with a mouse will click "mouse method". Anyone without a mouse will likely have an analogue stick instead eg console users, who can click "non mouse" method. I'm not the most creative person but more logical :)

You were the very reason I started to make `GTA videos in the first place thanks to seeing your "Blind Faith in a helicopter video" with Alejandro Samieno's method. I won't go more off topic but wanted to thank you for the inspiration and that I always appreciate how much you help the community. I'm very glad to be part of it now :)

Best Regards

James

OrionSR

The control strategies are easy enough to break up into mouse look and gamepad, or similar wording. I don't think that's causing any confusion. I guess I'm looking for something that describes the routes independently of the system. Hopefully we can find a route that might even work on mobile devices, given a working control strategy. How about something with some color tags we can link to a map:

Red Tenpenny's Route - path followed by Tenpenny's Red Firetruck.
Orange Stadium Route - original and terribly inefficient route, but let's honor the tradition.
Pink Pigpen Route - long and torturous route described as method two and variations like the one shown in jam8tone's video.
Green Pond Route - hypothetical variation on the hospital route - diverts a little earlier to avoid looking behind and the steep hill.
Blue Hospital Route - the route recently suggested by Douglas that diverts from Tenpenny's path at the Jefferson Hospital.
Purple Smoke Route - method one short route that diverts near Smoke's house.

Cool, Blind Faith was uploaded on Oct 13, 2006. The video quality seems to have degraded. I'm pretty sure that was my first video that included a sound track.

ronwellnagales28

Guys, my problem is when I catch Sweet but Sweet's grip is decreased quickly after I go to 8 Balls Auto and armed with the bomb. that car bomb explode me when the Sweet's grip decreased quickly. I used PC (Laptop), what should I do? Never mind, but how do I detonate a 8 balls auto bomb in GTA San Andreas (I need it in order to get Tenpenny's Fire Truck)?

Edited by ronwellnagales28

Lethal Vaccine

When the bomb is in the Feltzer, to activate it you just hit Circle on PS2/3. I am not sure what the button is on Xbox or Xbox 360. I also don't know sh*t about PC GTA. Sorry I can't help, unless you're playing the PS2/3 Version.

On PC, you should get this relatively easy. It's an absolute nightmare on PS2, Xbox, and Mobile...

When you come out of the Bomb Shop, it tells you what to press on the Version you are playing. Just watch the screen when you come out of the Bomb Shop. It'll tell you what to press to leg it and prime the bomb...

EDIT: I am making it my next goal to obtain this f*cking thing once and for all. I am not doing anything else GTA related; no other games, no messing around. I won't give up until I have this thing on my PS2 Save.

Booting up my Save now...I put the 99.47% back onto my BC PS3 to continue to get this, luckily, this time, it has the updated AP Greenwood and AP/EC2 Feltzer in the Save. Only missing the AP Fire Truck and to pass EotL for 100%...If I get it I will have all the existing AP Vehicles in my PS2 Save that are obtainable, and without cheats, of course.

EDIT 2: I officially have the AP Fire Truck in my PS2 Save. I now have 47 Special Vehicles and will update my 100% Save File Post. Finally...After 40 attempts and 2+ hours of trying, I now am a proud owner of this AP Fire Truck and officially have obtained all 28 obtainable AP Vehicles in San Andreas for PS2.

EDIT 3: Something I forgot to add, the AP Fire Truck is DEFINITELY a Heavy Vehicle. Once I ran down the road to meet back up with the Fire Truck, I got into it and drove it to the Hanger where I stored it and killed myself while performing the Parachute Trick on it. On the way, I went to some locations that are fixed spawn points for some Vehicles, as none seemed to spawn on the road when I got this in my possession and I drove into them and you can clearly notice the Heaviness of this Fire Truck. Once stored, though, it loses the Heavy property. Just like the DP/FP Rumpo from Outrider loses the Heavy Property as well after you store it in a Garage. I noticed a BIG difference when using the AP Fire Truck after I stored it. It surely can knock basically anything out of the way. However, it's nothing compared to the actual H/AP Fire Truck before you store it in the Garage. In this form, it obliterates anything in its path. Such a shame that Heavy properties don't save in SA. There is existing Heavy Vehicles in VC, SA, and CW and all 3 of these Games can't retain the Heavy Properties. Only LCS/VCS... :/

For those of you who got it, especially on PC, where it's easier, did you guys ever try running Tenpenny over after he gets out of the Fire Truck when CJ enters through the passenger side door? Would that fail the Mission? I realize everyone kills themselves when obtaining this, as did I. But I am wondering if there is a method to get it so you don't have to kill yourself, but just fail the Mission? Tenpenny just stand there when you take over the Fire Truck and doesn't do anything, lol...

I'd try to kill him, but out of the 40ish attempts and only 3 of those attempts making it to the Bomb Shop, I didn't want to risk another 40 attempts just to see if killing Tenpenny does anything. Has anyone tried it?

I hope one day there is a way to get the AP/EC Maverick, AP Mothership, and AP Fire Truck WITHOUT committing suicide.

Edited by Militia

fnxrak

Done that, even drowned tenpenny it won't fail the mission unfortunately it seems suicide is the answer, that or getting busted but between those I prefer killing myself

Lethal Vaccine

Thanks for the reply, man. There is only so many people on this Forum who can actually give me a valid answer, and you're one of the FEW out of the hundreds of thousands of people...

But that's a shame. Also, is it even possible to get busted during EotL? I've ran into Police Cars while on the way to the bomb shop, but I never get wanted...I doubt you can even get busted for the AP Fire Truck. It's only a suicide. Same for the AP Mothership. I don't think busted is possible, only suicide. The only one in which you can get busted as an option is the AP/EC Maverick since the wanted level isn't locked during Toreno's Last Flight and Peds/Vehicles spawn on the road during the Mission, as well.

OrionSR

Killing Tenpenny with the parachute trick doesn't help either.

So Militia, which route did you end up using for your PS2 collection?. I remember that you were excited about a shorter route suggested by... Douglas, iirc. Did you end up using that route or something more similar to the strategy in the opening posts?

Edited by OrionSR

Melancholia
So Militia, which route did you end up using for your PS2 collection?. I remember that you were excited about a shorter route suggested by... Douglas, iirc. Did you end up using that route or something more similar to the strategy in the opening posts?

Speaking from experience, I had an easier time obtaining the Firetruck on PS2 using the PC method (turning left after the bridge in Idlewood) but just going slower.

Lethal Vaccine

Killing Tenpenny with the parachute trick doesn't help either.

I used the exact route Douglas drew in paint on the previous page. That red line is exactly how I obtained it. It's one turn, which leads you down a hill, then you just make a left and go straight all the way to the Bomb Shop. It's still very hard, like the original one you thought of, but I don't think I would ever succeed doing it like that. With more turns and hills, it's extremely difficult on PS2. So yeah, using his route, I got it within 30-40ish tries and a few hours of attempts. I kept inching farther and farther. Making it down the single hill was the first challenge. Once I figured that out, I then learned how to take the turn and use my left hand to actually control the right analog stick for camera control. While tapping X. I just inched a long and with a blink of an eye, I ended up in the Bomb Shop on maybe my 6th or 7th attempt. But after that, I went at least 15-20 more tries without making it to the Bomb Shop. One time I made it, but then lost the Fire Truck due to camera control coming out of the Bomb Shop. I only ever made it to the Bomb Shop 3 times out of the 30 some tries. But on my third try, that is when I finally obtained it. On my first try, I armed the bomb 2-3 seconds too late, so I got the cutscene instead of blowing the Feltzer up. I was so pissed. But I knew if I could get there once, I could get there again, and I did. 2 more times, and then finally got it. I love this thing, lol :)

Speaking from experience, I had an easier time obtaining the Firetruck on PS2 using the PC method (turning left after the bridge in Idlewood) but just going slower.

This seems like it would work, actually on PS2, like you said. I believe it can be done cuz sometimes the Fire Truck seemed to be a bit farther than the speed I was driving, but I kept the camera perfectly rotated as best I could until the Bomb Shop part. So I am sure if you just take it slowly doing the PC Method on PS2, it can be done. ......Next time :D I am not afraid of this beast anymore. I actually still worry for the AP Greenwood. That one just causes me anxiety. But the AP Fire Truck is quite "fun" and interesting to obtain. Whoever thought of the idea with going to the Bomb Shop and arming the AP Feltzer with a bomb? That's crazy. Even the original method OrionSR came up with. That just seems out of this world if someone can pull it off. It's much more difficult than the PC Method and much more difficult than the route Douglas suggested a while back.

Edited by Militia

OrionSR

My impression of the short route usually recommended for PC is that it is only easier if you already have the skills required to use a longer route. I don't think it would have helped me to keep bashing away at the short route; I had to practice with slower strategies until my skills came up to speed.

How long will Tenpenny wait for CJ after the bomb shop? I'm pretty sure I've seen him parked down the road a ways.

Lethal Vaccine

Using your route and Douglas route, both of them you take pretty slow. Except in Douglas Route, there is one part where Tenpenny speeds up and you can actually see the Fire Truck in the distance across a long bridge - You can see this very same thing in jam8tone's Video toward the end of the Route heading to the Bomb Shop. At this point, the blue icon on the Minimap representing the Fire Truck was a bit "farther" ahead than I was driving and tapping X. But I just swiveled the camera angle a bit so it was in the center of the minimap and I kept the "sight" on the Fire Truck and didn't lose it. It seems at the Bomb Shop part I was a bit behind, though. When I would finally NOT need the rotating camera anymore, after getting the Bomb and then leaving the Shop around the corner, the Fire Truck was actually JUST coming onto the freeway in which you will get the message about the Cop stomping on Sweet's fingers. I would JUST get caught up to the Fire Truck when he was leaving the train tracks and coming onto the freeway. In the PC Method Videos and jam8tone's Video, the people obtaining it usually go a bit faster and catch up to the Fire Truck a bit quicker, but I still managed. When Tenpenny reaches the train track part he slows down tremendously it would appear. Perhaps coming to a complete stop it feels like, lol :p So glad I got this, though. It was bothering me for a long time that I could obtain basically ALL Special Vehicles in SA, but 2. The AP Greenwood and AP Fire Truck. Then after I finished my Save in December 2014, a few months later, I get the AP Greenwood. Then once again, a couple months later after I got that, I get the AP Fire Truck! :) So happy and I know I could do it again. I am not afraid of this beast anymore.

‫

How many tries did you take to obtain greenwood? i was around 100 or less, well like 5 times i get it near garage, then i just died from random ped shooted me, then twice i get it to garage then garage eated it right away, lol i was so pissed, but well i managed to get it after al that, PS2 rocks never will sell that console and all my GTA's

Lethal Vaccine

This isn't a topic about the Greenwood. I only mentioned it because I still find it harder than the Fire Truck at the end of the day. I tried going fnxrak's Route for the AP Greenwood, only to get killed by whores and other peds with pistols. Then I took a different route and by the time I got back to Ganton, I had FULL Health and 85% Armor. Because I avoided the peds, it wasn't too bad using the route I took, but I still find it more tedious and annoying than the Fire Truck...

The Fire Truck is just shy of being on par with the difficulty of the Greenwood. Some people find the Greenwood to not be troublesome whatsoever, but I don't think it's any walk in the park...Same goes for the AP Fire Truck. I obtained it, sure, but it's still no walk in the park. With that being said, I am not afraid of it.

Oh, and to answer your question, I got it on my 3rd or 4th attempt AFTER using another route to get the Greenwood. It's all about the route back to Ganton and avoiding peds. If you can manage avoiding peds with pistols, then the Greenwood isn't a problem...It's just like any other Shotgun Vehicle at that point (Bravura, FCR-900, and Newsvan).

I suggest if you want to talk more in depth about the AP Greenwood, reply in the Proof/Rare Vehicle Topic, where it's most appropriate. I got warned a couple weeks ago by Raavi for doing what I am doing now. But it's not my fault someone asks me a question in a topic which is off topic...I always reply back with an answer. I find it disrespectful to ignore people, so I just rather answer than and get it over with.

Edited by Militia

Lethal Vaccine

@Orion, do you know who the original person was who thought of taking the Feltzer into the Boms Shop? Also, have you ever obtained the Fire Truck using the Console Methods/Routes on a Console? How did you think of this stuff?

OrionSR

It's my understanding that Rustlerr2010, from the gta.ru community, developed the original method. This is noted in the opening post - I try to be good about that sort of thing.

I have not collected the indestructible firetruck on a console, yet. I used gamepad controls on PC to simulate what would be required for console players using controllers, but I don't really have any way to know if gamepad and controller sensitivity is very similar. I was just doing my best to bridge the gap - make as much progress as I could so PS2 players would have a good starting point.

Developing a gamepad/controller strategy seemed the next logical step; this was a time of rapid development. I was charged with developing an English version description of the method and I was trying to provide complete documentation. Also, I was struggling mightily with the keyboard mouse controls anyway and hoping to find something that worked with my familiar gamepad. It ends up being easier to learn proper keyboard/mouse controls than managing the awkward camera controls on a gamepad but I'm glad I learned both methods.

I'm not sure I ever made a totally legitimate collection of Tenpenny's FI Firetruck. Maybe I loaded up something from my old archive just to call it official, but usually I just use any old save, or the custom CG saves since I like those best, or a save modified particularly for this purpose. I'm not too worried about making my own legit collection as quickly running though the options to help others make their legit collection.

But by my standards, I figure maybe a half dozen or so illegitimate collections with a bomb garage zone moved next to the tracks in Jefferson so I could practice the timing for detonation. Then perhaps a couple dozen mostly-legit as I learned on PC, took the long way, tried more efficient routes, learned the fast way, worked on gamepad controls, refined my routes, and tried to end the mission without suicide. I had a lot of fun with this vehicle.

Edited by OrionSR

Lethal Vaccine

I've only seen that Video about 2-3 days ago and was impressed how he discovered that. f*cking IMMENSE discovery, really. Holy sh*t...

Thanks for the info. :) Also, sorry for a long time ago about the jam8tone thing. Now I see why that bothered you and I am very sorry. You indeed did a very good job helping out the community with this one. I am still thinking about the day I obtained this and can't believe it. It didn't sink in quite yet, haha...

Even though it's quite the challenge to get it, it WAS indeed really fun trying to get it, even with failing 20-30 times in THIS current Save. I've tried it 1 other times in the past on my previous Save but at that time, I had NO luck whatsoever and tried it about 10-15 times there. I made a lot of progress with this one and know if I ever did SA again on PS2, I'd get it again. It no longer scares me. I always dreaded getting this, but not anymore and I had some fun getting it, too.

Oh, and it CAN be obtained on Mobile since you CAN use a Wireless PS3 Controller when playing on iOS Version 8.1 or below and any Android Device. I personally use the Touch Screens when playing SA on my iPhone 6, but if I wanted to, I could connect my PS3 Controller to it and play SA like that. Using the Touch Screens alone would be a MONSTROUS challenge, but I think it IS possible. But if you use the Controller, then it'd be the same thing as I already did...I got it using the PS3 Controller through my BC PS3. Even though I own a brand new PS2 Slim, I don't use it and want to keep it in the box in perfect condition IF my BC PS3 would ever die on me, but luckily that is running like a charm and hope it lives for a very long time more! :)

Your concept got me this Fire Truck and Douglas' Route got me this Fire Truck, so I must thank both of you tremendously as well as the first guy who obtained this and came up with the entire method of going to the Bomb Shop...

Edited by Militia