Bullet Range/Distance

RDRoy2

(As always, if already posted, please lock icon14.gif)

Anywho. For those of you who played Gta IV, you would've realised that the distance you can actually hit someone with a bullet was very short. Unless you used a sniper, and also depending on the gun, the range is different for how far the bullet will travel. But what I wanna know is, why ??. Idk if its to do with the storage or anything, but why is it so short in terms of travel distance? Shotguns being extremely short distance. Does this bother you, does for me especially online in fights when they can hit you with a P90 from 20 foot but you can hit them because your using a spas 12 shotgun which results in you dead and frustrated.

Should the range/distance be increased? To what distance if so. Personally I think it should be increased X5, especially with the size the map will be ( Houser: "very big map" ). But as I said, I dont know if there are limitations with this and how severe they are, if there are any. But assuming there arent any, go ahead and discuss. monocle.gif

CryptReaperDorian

I remember helping some guy get headshots for the Carcano rifle on Red Dead Redemption. Playing on Tumbleweed, I was on the trail in front of the mansion, and this guys was in the hills way back by the church. Just f*cking around, I took a shot at him with my sawed-off shotgun. I surprisingly got a hit on him at that range! I'd say that's a step in the right direction, and I think the range of every gun should be able to reach any object or person that's at least in redering range.

Now, if it were up to me, no high budget game would ever be released if it uses hitscan. Then again, simulated ballistics are possibly too much for RAGE to handle.

So what this thread is really about is that you're using a shotgun when the other has a long-range weapon? The whole point about shotguns (not just in GTA but in all games they appear in) is that they're really powerful, but short-range. Extending it's range would give it an unfair advantage over most of the non-explosive weaponry. What you have to do is find another long-range weapon.

Then again, simulated ballistics are possibly too much for RAGE to handle.

Well they say they're doing that in Max Payne 3, or as they put it each bullet is individually modeled. It's RAGE but it's not open world, so how much of what's possible in Max Payne 3 might be practical in GTA V is questionable.

So what this thread is really about is that you're using a shotgun when the other has a long-range weapon? The whole point about shotguns (not just in GTA but in all games they appear in) is that they're really powerful, but short-range. Extending it's range would give it an unfair advantage over most of the non-explosive weaponry. What you have to do is find another long-range weapon.

I don't think anyone is advocating making shotguns long range weapons, just increasing the distance the shot travels. In real life, buckshot can kill people at over 100 feet. I don't expect to be killing people at 100 feet in GTA V with one shot, but I still think one or two pellets should be able hit the target for reduced damage. In GTA IV (and most other games), the pellets magically disappear after 20-30 feet.

I think a good balance would be to have shotguns be capable of hitting targets at medium distances, but have reduced damage compared to an assault rifle.

It would also be cool to choose between birdshot, buckshot, or slugs. This could be a cool way to make shotguns a more versatile weapon. Birdshot could have a very large spread and be extremely good at close distances, buckshot could have a tighter spread and be sort of good at short distances and great at medium range, and slugs could be good at long and medium range but not preferable for short range.

izx6.jpg

CryptReaperDorian
Then again, simulated ballistics are possibly too much for RAGE to handle.

Well they say they're doing that in Max Payne 3, or as they put it each bullet is individually modeled. It's RAGE but it's not open world, so how much of what's possible in Max Payne 3 might be practical in GTA V is questionable.

Wait, so Max Payne 3 is going to have actual projectiles outside of the slow motion kills? That's news to me. I'm sure it can be done on Max Payne 3, but it RAGE probably wouldn't be able to handle simulated ballistics for a crime sandbox game that renders plenty of vehicles, buildings, vegetation, people, and many other things at the same time.

For those that don't know what hitscan is, it's basically a system that registers a hit where you're aiming or in a proximity of where you're aiming. The "bullet" you usually see in these game (examples include GTA and CoD) is just a texture with no mass. In other ways to put it, the bullet travels at infinite speeds or it really doesn't exist.

Simulated ballistics is when a firearm in a game fires a projectile with mass, velocity, and is sometimes affected by gravity. This is a much more realistic system, but the demands can be harsh on the game engine. Examples include most Battlefield games since Battlefield 2, ArmA, possibly Red Orchestra, and possibly Operation Flashpoint. It's kind of funny since all of these listed games use a game engine that can be used pretty well (I would think so anyways) for sandbox games. Hell, I think the ArmA games are sandbox games.

Bullet Range wasnt that bad in GTA IV... It was decent, and They already improved it in RDR. And they will improve it even further with GTA V, dont worry

Triple Vacuum Seal
Bullet Range wasnt that bad in GTA IV... It was decent, and They already improved it in RDR. And they will improve it even further with GTA V, dont worry

Yes. I'm glad this is R* we are talking about here because they do generally work towards perfection. I really wish I would've bought RDR because most people here seem to have good things to say about it. I have played it a bit though.

Yes, I was playing GTA IV online today, and it really pissed me off how the guns lacked damage beyond a certain distance.

This especially bothers me with the pistol, as you usually start off with it in free mode. I spawn, and decide I want to kill someone. I can't!

It was so ridiculous today in free mode at the airport. some guy was just accross the fckin runway, and I was crouched and I couldn't hit him! The bullet would literally dissipate a foot away from him!

Fix all weapons especially the pistols smile.gif

How does Red Dead work?

In that the bullets drop in flight, so for long distance you need to aim up.

They travel pretty far too, but is it Ballistics or Hitscan?

I thought only ballistics can have real trajectories.

How does Red Dead work?

I was wondering the same thing maybe a combination of the two

The gunplay in GTA4 is kind of sad, really. I guess they made headshots count, even with pistols, so thats cool. Why did they make the ak such garbage though is beyond me.

GET OVER 1 BILLION IN GTA ONLINE WITH THIS GLITCH

Join the best of the best. Join the Republic of Zee.http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/member/zeegtaforums

Add me on Xbox: ZeeGTAForums and PS3: mtkgta420

The Continuing Adventures of Zeehttp://www.youtube.com/ZeeGTAForums

http://www.twitch.tv/zeegtaf

Deji is a coward.

The gunplay in GTA4 is kind of sad, really. I guess they made headshots count, even with pistols, so thats cool. Why did they make the ak such garbage though is beyond me.

It wasn't only the ak all the guns were garbage

The range of the guns in IV are f*cking horrible.

You can easily see someone yet your bullets magically disappear in mid-air.

It's not even gradual either. If you're shooting at something and keep increasing your distance, there's an EXACT distance where it stops hitting. Take a step closer and you'll start hitting it again.

So yes, the range needs to be increased A LOT.

HydraulicWaRiOr

The RPG was unacceptable, if they will not add a lock-on launcher, then at least make the RPG go farther than 20 feet.

[OBEY]

Lol, no one mentioned thrown weapons except whatsstrength... And the same applies to them. You couldn't even throw molotovs and grenades farther than 15 m!

The RPG was unacceptable, if they will not add a lock-on launcher, then at least make the RPG go farther than 20 feet.

[OBEY]

Or farther than 15 feet in some cases

[RETALIATE]

Finn 7 five 11
So what this thread is really about is that you're using a shotgun when the other has a long-range weapon?  The whole point about shotguns (not just in GTA but in all games they appear in) is that they're really powerful, but short-range.  Extending it's range would give it an unfair advantage over most of the non-explosive weaponry.  What you have to do is find another long-range weapon.

I don't think anyone is advocating making shotguns long range weapons, just increasing the distance the shot travels. In real life, buckshot can kill people at over 100 feet. I don't expect to be killing people at 100 feet in GTA V with one shot, but I still think one or two pellets should be able hit the target for reduced damage. In GTA IV (and most other games), the pellets magically disappear after 20-30 feet.

I think a good balance would be to have shotguns be capable of hitting targets at medium distances, but have reduced damage compared to an assault rifle.

YEah medium range reduced damage, i would like to see the occasional lucky shot get someone at 100ft though, random hits happen sometimes (with a shotgun)

Realistic weapon mods really enhanced gunplay for me, especially when using the shotguns. Slightly off-topic, but realistic driving and handling also really improved the driving experience for me so I hope R* puts a lot of effort into both since they're key mechanics of the game.

Lol, no one mentioned thrown weapons except whatsstrength... And the same applies to them. You couldn't even throw molotovs and grenades farther than 15 m!

Yeah, same thoughts here. Hope that our physique has something to do with this, if we can use gyms etc... The satchel charges sucked to. Often id try throw one further by aiming higher, but nothing, there seems to be a barrier on how far it goes no matter how altered your throw is. Also grenades and molotovs. Molotovs in particular. They did nothing unless you want to burn a ped from point blank range. They sucked in cop chases.

On a side note, sticky satchel charges and semtex grenandes would be a cool feature, IF the distance you can throw them increases a bit depending on the strenght of your character.

Since GTA is really arcadeish, it holds a typical arcade style of play. This includes the range. The shotguns in GTA are really, really bad, and the M4 is that good either. IRL the effective range for the M4 is roughly 5-6 hundred meters. Its more than a half click.

CryptReaperDorian
How does Red Dead work?

Chukkles, you bring up a good discussion. I'm extremely certain that Red Dead redemption uses hitscan, but there are some things in the game that seem like they could only be done with simulated ballistics. You were able to shoot down birds by aiming ahead of them, and you had to aim slightly above the head at longer ranges to get a headshot. I don't know how R* managed to do that. The only thing I can think of what R* might have done was that they moved the hitboxes upwards for other characters and players when you are further away, and then they also moved the hitbox slightly ahead of the birds when they are flying.