Run-down or realistic city?

LTomi

What kind of Los Santos do you want in GTA V?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of Los Santos do you want in GTA V?

• A clean and organized city
    • A dirty, run-down city

Everyone who has played GTA IV knows that most parts of Liberty City looked really awful and run-down, whereas in real life New York is much cleaner and looks better. (Just take a Google Street View tour in NY if you don't believe me.)

Judging by the trailer, they do the same with Los Angeles in the upcoming installment, run-down parts of the city can be seen in many scenes.

I personally prefer organized cities, I hated how Rockstar turned Liberty City to a sh*thole in IV.

What is your opinion? Do you prefer cleaner cities (like the ones in the III era) or dirty cities like the IV era LC?

senor_huevos_benedicto

Clean parts and run down parts.

Yeah a mix of both would be the way to go. Have your neat and clean areas, but have the rougher parts of town look less welcoming and run down.

Definitely a clean, organized city. Ironically, the ghettos in GTA: San Andreas were too dirty to the point where they were unrealistic. In real-life, ghetttos, though run-down, are actually pretty clean. They have proper trash bins. There's some trash on the ground but it's mainly McDonald's cups, etc. What makes a ghetto look dirty is the paint on many homes and some ugly cars.

Ghettos in LS should be generally clean, but with old, dirty cars and some pealing paint. There should also be some unmowed lawns, which truly make it dirty. Not to mention some rather dirty roads!

Hopefully Rockstar is able to make a clean city.

I'm pretty sure it will be just like in real life, West L.A, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, West Hollywood and etc areas will be clean and South/East L.A, Compton, North Long Beach and so on will be run down and ghetto like areas.

also have the pedestrians in the dirty run down areas just throw stuff on the floor

but in the more up market areas the pedestrians use trash cans

would be a nice little detail

Rockstar will have both extremes. There'll be your squeaky clean Rodeo Drive areas and your run down ghettoes. The whole "rich/poor divide" thing will be one of the main focuses of GTA V.

I think we'll see a mix of both in the game. There will be plenty of cleaner areas, where there isn't too much crime, in amongst the rundown areas that are full of criminals and crime.

What I do find likely though is that there will be some sort of crime problem within the city, and that it will be highlighted like with LC in GTA IV.

senor_huevos_benedicto

We already have proof of this in the trailer: there's the store heist on Rodeo Drive (which looked very clean) and there's that dirty underpass full of tents.

user posted image

This is how I hope ghettos such as Compton, Watts, etc get represented in the game.

The funny thing is that most of these ghettos in LA still look better than an average middle class neighborhood in my country.

In the Trailer, I think they overdid a little bit, the presence of trash and cardboard boxes on the sidewalks. We don't have garbage strikes in LA like they do in NYC.

Trash and decay make sense some places and adds richness and realism to the abandoned areas, of which there are plenty in LA, but i think that the trash was too prominent in the Venice street scene with the red convertible, and outside the store next to Tequi-LA-LA.

More generally, besides piles of trash, modern game designers go out of their way to create textures of rust, corrosion, peeling paint, damaged signs, all kinds of things like that, to create a seemingly more realistic and less cartoony appearance. But I think it needs a bit more subtle touch. I agree that in GTA IV, they went overboard in some places with the appearance of urban decay in the textures.

I actually liked the run down neighbourhoods more than the upmarket neighbourhoods in GTA IV.

I would like to see both in GTA V.

Eternal Moonshine

I hate it when a city in any game looks completly clean. World is not clean. Dirt and dust cover everything. Not to the point when you can't see the street because of all this dirt, but in game graphics must be a little bit exaggerated to better sell a certain vibe. Especially this time when V is gonna revolve around the contrast between rich and poor, i'm hoping the poor part will be really exposed. For me it's simple, the dirtier the more interesting. A clean city would feel kind of fake and lifeless

Hope there will be good pavement especially on the freeway. Hate to have bumpy roads when driving fast.

Overall, I prefer a realistic take on LA. But I respect R* freedom to create their own impact on everything so they can do as they please.

From what I remember from the trailer I think they did a good job so far. I didn't notice anything unusual in the scenery.

Finn 7 five 11

I don;t want it to be either, i want it to be as accurate a representation as possible.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that didn't vote because this doesn't make sense in a big city.

Real life big cities have both: clean and organized downtown and suburbs, and dirty and run-down ghettos and industrial areas. Doesn't matter how much their governors mention they worry about poor people.

I don't think GTA4's Liberty City was made 100% run-down. Even GTA3's Liberty wasn't.