What are the biggest changes we'll see in GTA V?

bluesboyjr

To quote Rockstar's official announcement:

A bold new direction in open-world freedom, storytelling, mission-based gameplay and online multiplayer...

What I gathered from this is we'll be seeing things in GTA V that we never thought we'd see in a GTA game. Brand new game mechanics, or complete alterations to ones we're used to. Things like the RPG elements in GTA SA, or the moral choices of GTA IV. Nobody was expecting to see those based on the previous instalments.

I'm talking surprises. Something that's completely different, yet fits perfectly into the GTA experience without feeling like a gimmick. There's got to be some big changes Rockstar is sitting on - GTA V isn't going to be "GTA IV but sunnier and with planes".

So, for this topic, I want you folks to share your ideas for new game mechanics that would fit well into a GTA game. Not something we've seen before (no car modifications or drug dealing, unless you can think of an entirely new spin to put on them), surprise me. Surprise yourselves. There are no bad ideas, just bad executions.

I might as well give an example to start us off: becoming king of the city. Everything you can see going on in Los Santos, you can choose to invest in, and if you know what you're doing and earn enough money (GTA IV was all about the American Dream, GTA V will be all about the money), you can pull the right strings so that you have control over anything from little cornershop businesses to national media corporations. I'm not talking about buying an "asset" and then picking up a dollar sign outside every once in a while like in VC/SA, but you being able to make decisions about what they do when you feel like it. What buildings get built, what articles appear in the newspapers, what movie posters you see on the street, all based on your judgement.

That was just a (poorly worded and far-fetched) example off the top of my head, give me your best.

I was feeling sorry for the mods and admins, seeing our beloved forum descend into some 4chan-esque melting pot of ramblings, animosity and repeated hoaxes, so I thought I'd do my best to come up with a topic that would generate some decent discussion. It's the first time I've created a GTA V topic, so it'll probably fail. Oh well.

A bold new direction in open-world freedom, storytelling, mission-based gameplay and online multiplayer...

A bold new direction would imply that GTAV will do something that no other free roam game has done before, so we have to really think outside of the box with this one.

Including online multiplayer in the end there makes me think that they may figure out some way to blend the single player and the multiplayer experience. Maybe going so far to say maybe they create some sort of sub-story that you notice in the main game but you find out through online multiplayer related mission structures. So sort of like Saints Row, but with polish. And it wouldn't break the normal single player, and would also add more things to do in multiplayer. For anyone who has played Red Dead Redemption you'll notice how big of a leap it was from GTAIV, actually giving you some good activities to do in the wild. So going off of that, rolling around with your friends doing some sort of bank robbery mission, while other player-controlled enemies are trying to take you down?

Or even being able to have the enemies you face in single-player be controlled by humans? Giving it an increased difficulty never seen before in a GTA single player story.

Seriously, it could be anything. I could go on for days with random theories.

692fc89cb34cdeaba6dffeb5b9f4be3f611300ec

Harwood Butch3r

I'll cover the story. In GTA IV/EFLC R* touched on a multi sided story with intersecting components while giving us 3 characters all with their own stories.

Now if this multiple protagonist theory is correct I'd expect something similar, but in the 1 game. Now typically these sort of stories are saved for linear games (aka Heavy Rain), but it would be a truly remarkable feat if R* could somehow make it work in a sandbox game.

Or if it's a singular protagonist I can see the moral choices from GTA IV being taken to a whole new level. For example if you kill someone or let them live it opens up an entirely new story set. It could basically have dozens of different branches. Either way I see moral choices being much more significant than they were in GTA IV as it seemed more like a test run.

At the time I thought the story telling in GTA IV was quite bold compared to the old games. I'm thinking GTA V will raise the bar again.

I'll cover the story. In GTA IV/EFLC R* touched on a multi sided story with intersecting components while giving us 3 characters all with their own stories.

Now if this multiple protagonist theory is correct I'd expect something similar, but in the 1 game. Now typically these sort of stories are saved for linear games (aka Heavy Rain), but it would be a truly remarkable feat if R* could somehow make it work in a sandbox game.

Or if it's a singular protagonist I can see the moral choices from GTA IV being taken to a whole new level. For example if you kill someone or let them live it opens up an entirely new story set. It could basically have dozens of different branches. Either way I see moral choices being much more significant than they were in GTA IV as it seemed more like a test run.

At the time I thought the story telling in GTA IV was quite bold compared to the old games. I'm thinking GTA V will raise the bar again.

Yeah it's defiantly a story based change considering they really can't do anything to change the "sandbox" experience except maybe blend MP and SP together...but that's not really "bold" as countless other games have done it before.

I think this "bold new direction" is just a marketing slogan, sort of like the "Button = Awesome" thing Bioware did.

We'll obviously get improvements, but I wouldn't expect anything revolutionary.

izx6.jpg

PassiveSurveillance

If they can't even stop frame-rate lag when looking at 7 or-so NPC's in a bar in Blackwater (Red Dead Redemption), I wouldn't expect much.

I personally feel that the direction is very much coop gameplay, theres been so much talk about multi protags etc and i dont recall much if any speculation upon the idea that we get a choice of protag at the start of the game.

All of which have their own story, strengths and weaknesses you then go about your own story and then when you go to do a mission you get placed in a lobby with players playing the other "4" protags, work together as a team IE: the heist. then go your own seperate ways after.

GTA is all about a great single player experience for me. I sure hope they don't ruin the experience by focusing on co-op.

Harwood Butch3r
GTA is all about a great single player experience for me. I sure hope they don't ruin the experience by focusing on co-op.

Yeah I must admit I've never been a fan of co-op. Unless you play with someone you can really depend on, but I would hate to see it being a primary focus.

Perhaps there'll be people who you can bring on missions with you (like Jacob in Russian Revolution or the McGeary gang in Three Leaf Clover) but you can direct where they go, like the squads in Mass Effect, and in multiplayer you can do the same, but the people you bring are other players.

If the multiple protagonists theory is correct, we could see a protagonist who is a police officer, allowing us to play on the other side of the law. Seriously, that would be cool and definitely revolutionary

If the multiple protagonists theory is correct, we could see a protagonist who is a police officer, allowing us to play on the other side of the law. Seriously, that would be cool and definitely revolutionary

I agree, and I've been harking on about that for years, but be prepared to be shot down. Every time I've ever mentioned playing a cop people fire back "But GTA is about crime!" "You can't play as a cop, you'd run down civilians!" "Go play True Crime!" etc, etc. But really, there's no *real* reason a cop story line wouldn't work in a game with multiple protagonists. If the cop isn't a bad guy, just program it so you can't shoot civilians, if you run them over, tough luck, learn to drive better...maybe some sort of fine.

Hmm, a dirty cop, i like that idea!

Maybe something like this icon14.gif :

My name is Kunta Kinte 9000, and you can Kunta-kiss my ass!