Connecting 2 PCs together.

GTA 360

So, as you can guess I'm a bit stuck, the thing is I have a laptop and a PC with the laptop running windows 7 and the PC running XP, and I was wondering if there was any way of linking them together so that I could use the combined power and hard drive space of the 2 computers, is this possible? And if so how? Thanks guys.

All you can do is use RJ-45 cable to connect laptop and PC. This will not combine their power (that is impossible to do), but you'd be able to send files between them and play multiplayer games via LAN.

74cXSsx.png

All you can do is use RJ-45 cable to connect laptop and PC. This will not combine their power (that is impossible to do), but you'd be able to send files between them and play multiplayer games via LAN.

Oh, better to ask now than buy cables ect and find out later I suppose. Is it possible to add extra RAM to a laptop in any way(apart from playing around inside)?

leik oh em jeez!

Simple answer: No.

Complicated answer: You could theoretically run server load balancing software allowing them to act as nodes. While it probably wouldn't be very effective to begin with, a low powered laptop isn't going to add much, if any processing power to a desktop. This obviously depends on the desktop. For low end hardware, the performance lost through the extra software and network usage would negate any performance benefits.

Proper solution: Hard drives are cheap as hell. Buy bigger ones. There's no way you can turn your slow PC/laptop into a fast PC/laptop for free. If you need more performance past a fresh Windows install, you'll need to pay for it.

That said, you can create shared folders on one system's hard drive and access them from the other. While I don't recommend this for storing games, it is possible to play games from a remote system, though this will of course give you constant lag that can't be fixed unless you copy the game to the local hard disk.

Adding RAM to laptops: Most laptops do support user-added memory. Look up your model number online to double check and see what kind of RAM you need to buy for it.

It's called the "Cloud" Cloud Computing, well, before Microsoft redefined it

You want to maybe Network them? You can transfer data that way, with any normal connection, the WWW just does that on a grand scale

Someone suggested I do something similar with the old computers I have, chain their powers together to make one decent game machine! haha

The method that PS3 users employ, "FOLD AT HOME" Fold@Home, in essence that technique is amounting to the same thing virtually as I understand it

Edited by Slamman

No, what Folding@Home does is distributed computing, not cloud or networking computing. They got the idea from SETI@home.

Cloud computing is like Google Docs or Photoshop.com. The software is online, and works for the most part, just as good as if it was on your own system...it's not perfect and might not have all of the bells and whistles but it works well enough.

Well, originally CLOUD meant somehow channeling computer power, but for Folding@Home, that's more putting to use extra SPARE processing power, sending data that's done while not using the machine fully, if and only if it's on, and transmitting data

Edited by Slamman

I corrected you and yet you continue to go off topic. Geeez. Worse yet, you're still wrong.

Nope, I'm not. The cloud, look it up... Cloud Computing as I read, it's premise is harnessing several machines for a computing task, yet, the task is limited to what can be done, the idea is not the same as taking two graphics cards or GPUs or two CPUs in a system, but not entirely divorced from what the OP is talking about...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing

Most important in what I'm talking about;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Converged_Infrastructure

It's REAL, not FICTION, if only a better idea then a practical solution

Daisy Chaining as I learned in related to computing is from the 1980s era I remember, with Apple IIs and it's not something that dies out, it covers a number of areas when you look at Wiki defining it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisy_chain_%..._engineering%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_topology#Daisy_chain

Edited by Slamman

I knew this would happen.

Since the OP's question has been answered and because Slamman wants to keep spiraling this completely off topic.

@GTA 360

If you would like this topic re-opened for some reason please send me a PM and I will do so.