2005-2007 MazdaSpeed 6 (MPS)

Harwood Butch3r

Harwood Butch3r

I'm currently looking for a new car and although I'm typically not a big Japanese Import fan (More of a muscle car guy) I've always liked these MazdaSpeed6s. They seem quite popular in Europe and America.

Over here they're called a Mazda 6 MPS, so they're virtually the same car just with the steering wheel on the RIGHT side. tounge2.gif

I think they look great and being a 2.3L Turbo 4 cylinder with 4x4 it has me intrigued. My previous 2 cars have been manuals, so the 6 speed manual wouldn't bother me at all.

I guess what I'm saying is I would appreciate any opinion from someone whose had experience with one. Owned or other wise. Generally speaking Mazdas have a great reputation over here with the Mazda 3 being the best selling car in Australia.

Also I rarely hear people say bad things about Mazdas, so yeah any feed back would be appreciated. smile.gif

Los Santos Pedestrian

To be honest, I've seen a Mazda 6 once in my life, and I've seen a Toyota Previa three times.

So I have to disagree on the 'popular' part.

You must live in a f*ckin barn then. Not sure what the Previa part had to do with anything.

I've had good luck with Mazdas lately (an 02 Protege 5 and a 06 Mazda 3 2.3) and I like them pretty well. Good cars. Can't really speak for anything specific to the Mazdaspeed like the awd system or turbo or anything. Just make sure it's been well maintained because a dipsh*t owner can wear out a turbo car a lot faster. A dipsh*t owner is probably more likely to not take the proper care to idle the car a bit before shutting it off. Mazdaspeeds don't have turbo timers do they?

Edited by Lurch

uYW1Olw.png

The Mazda 6 MPS is a proper sleeper. Very, very quick in all weather and incredibly discrete. Brilliant cars. Faster than, say a BMW 330i by some considerable margin, regardless of weather, and much cheaper in every way. It's the kind of car I'd buy if I didn't need to lug dogs around. The interior is a bit plasticky and scratchy, but the Recaro seats in them more than make up for it.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

Los Santos Pedestrian
You must live in a f*ckin barn then. Not sure what the Previa part had to do with anything.

The Previa part means I've seen a Mazda 6 less than an ugly sh*twagon.

Anyway, on topic, the 6 apparently gets 0-60 in 5.4 seconds (according to Car & Driver), which is pretty damn fast for a sedan. A Porsche Panamera 0-60 is 3.7 seconds, but that's a Porsche.

tuff_luv_capo

A fat dorky co-worker had a MazdaSpeed 6. The interior was alright, but that's where the compliments end. The exterior was extremely bland, and the AWD system is actually FWD until it needs rear wheels, the exact opposite of how it should be. Also it sounded boring and sh*tty. No distinct noise, and the stock recirculating valve sounded like a queef. Everyone at work made fun of it, and they don't even like cars.

This isn't a bias, I actually wanted one back when I couldn't afford an STI, but being around one in person made me so glad I didn't settle.

Also 0-60 is 6.2 in Car and Driver.

Now the mazdaspeed 3, that's a different story. Better weight distribution, cheaper overall and way better aftermarket. It's also FWD.

Whilst I understand where your coming from with your criticisms, did you actually drive the 6 MPS or just laugh at it from a distance? I will agree about the Haldex; however a software flash is what, about £400 tops? I'd say that the 6 MPS is better balanced than the 3 by a good margin- it's also much more comfortable and feels faster- but then again I'm used to driving saloons and estates rather than hatchbacks so that's probably personal preference. Then again, Evo, probably the worlds most highly regarded performance car magazine largely seem to agree with me.

Also, the aftermarket is nigh-on identical for them. They share almost all of their engine components and many drivetrain ones.

Edited by sivispacem

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

tuff_luv_capo

Of course I've driven one. I don't magazine race. Dealerships hate me haha.

The Mazda 6 MPS is a proper sleeper. Very, very quick in all weather and incredibly discrete. Brilliant cars. Faster than, say a BMW 330i by some considerable margin, regardless of weather, and much cheaper in every way. It's the kind of car I'd buy if I didn't need to lug dogs around. The interior is a bit plasticky and scratchy, but the Recaro seats in them more than make up for it.

They're very handsome & elegant compared to their over-inflated, five hundred safety stars bollocks successors.

The quality is incomparable to a BMW though. my old man had a 530 and its doors felt so heavy & solid compared to the Mazda 6 he replaced it with. The Bavarian's literally weighed double.

The quality is incomparable to a BMW though. my old man had a 530 and its doors felt so heavy & solid compared to the Mazda 6 he replaced it with. The Bavarian's literally weighed double.

Agreed. They're not pretending to be a luxury car, though- they're a family saloon with a pokey turbocharged engine and AWD.

Untitled-1.jpg

• 2 months later...

i dislike mazda 6 2011

cause 2 reasons and i

dont wanna buy this car beacuse they took every thing from old cars

and costs a lot of money and dad doesnt have any much like me

and my dad's boss have old mazda 6 not new

You mean to say they took influence from older 6's to make new ones, NO f*ckING WAY.

MS6's aren't pricey compared to similar cars.

And my boss drove a Mercedes, guess I cant have any Mercs now.