GTA V Marketing Ploy Fixed

Lucky Sevens

Do you think R* will need a minimum of 3 months advertising and promoting to achieve it's sales quota, for GTA V?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think R* will need a minimum of 3 months advertising and promoting to achieve it's sales quota, for GTA V?

• Yes, without it, it will be a flop.
    • No, the game is already predicted to break all sales records.

So, what do yous all think?

Does GTA V require bells and whistles and fancy bows to achieve sales, or has it already created a name for itself? Take 2

So, what do yous all think?

Does GTA V require bells and whistles and fancy bows to achieve sales, or has it already created a name for itself? Take 2

No. Just no. Not fixed still f*cked up

If they did not advertise the game, it would be a financial flop. People can't buy a game that they don't know about. Marketing is a cornerstone of garnering sales.

izx6.jpg

Agreed. Which means GTAV isn't ready for a while, sadly. I have to wonder if 2012 is indeed the year for GTAV. Its not too late, but nothing is really kicking into high gear yet. Barely revving in first gear.

We've seen what might have been a premature first trailer for reasons we can easily speculate on (and have), but not the full swing wave of GTA goodness we all hoped was immanent.

EDIT: Now I see a poll. It won't flop no matter what, they can't loose. But a penny spent is a dollar earned, 3 months of heavy marketing will no doubt make a big difference in sales. Not everyone who will buy the game is on the forums (in fact we are hardly anyone).

Edited by Ispintechno

Personally, I don't think it's gonna require much promoting.

When you think about it, it's not going to come across to well being advertised on tv. What are they going to show, the protag blowing a random peds brains out, and killing cops? Perhaps a screenshot of the strip club or a prostitute encounter?

No, just no. All advertising will be very low key, just enough to create an awareness of it (such as in store posters) is all we will see.

Ask yourself this. You invest $100m into developing a game (that's what GTA:IV cost). Do you put it out into retail and hope for the best that word will get round? Or do you market and advertise the game like mad to make people want to buy it?

GTA might be a heavyweight in the industry, but after so much money has been ploughed into it, you don't leave it to chance. Those that think that it will automatically sell on that reputation alone are deluding themselves. This is big business and money is at stake.

If GTA:IV's marketing strategy is anything to go by, a release date for GTA:V will be announced three months before. Then they will market the crap out of it for those three months and for a good time after release too. Between now and that release date announcement they will drip feed teasers every few months or so (in fact, I reckon we're due another "drip" soon).

What they are doing this time is avoiding the mistake they made with GTA:IV when they announced a release date far too early and then bought themselves negative press when they were forced to put the date back. With GTA:V I'm fairly certain that they are withholding the forecast release date until they are absolutely sure and ready that they can meet it. And that will be when there is three months to go and the marketing has to start at that time anyway.

That is my take on the whole thing.

There's nowt to do right now, but be patient and wait.

Edited by meson1

Ask yourself this.  You invest $100m into developing a game (that's what GTA:IV cost).  Do you put it out into retail and hope for the best that word will get round?  Or do you market and advertise the game like mad to make people want to buy it?

GTA might be a heavyweight in the industry, but after so much money has been ploughed into it, you don't leave it to chance.  Those that think that it will automatically sell on that reputation alone are deluding themselves.  This is big business and money is at stake.

If GTA:IV's marketing strategy is anything to go by, a release date for GTA:V will be announced three months before.  Then they will market the crap out of it for those three months and for a good time after release too.  Between now and that release date announcement they will drip feed teasers every few months or so (in fact, I reckon we're due another "drip" soon).

What they are doing this time is avoiding the mistake they made with GTA:IV when they announced a release date far too early and then bought themselves negative press when they were forced to put the date back.  With GTA:V I'm fairly certain that they are withholding the forecast release date until they are absolutely sure and ready that they can meet it.  And that will be when there is three months to go and the marketing has to start at that time anyway.

That is my take on the whole thing.

There's nowt to do right now, but be patient and wait.

"Ask yourself this. You invest $100m into developing a game (that's what GTA:IV cost). Do you put it out into retail and hope for the best that word will get round? Or do you market and advertise the game like mad to make people want to buy it?"

Ask yourself this. You invest $100m into developing a game, that is highly controversial. Do you risk having it banned at the last minute by drawing negative attention to it? Do you risk spending another $30m on advertising, when you could almost do it for free on the internet.

"GTA might be a heavyweight in the industry, but after so much money has been ploughed into it, you don't leave it to chance. Those that think that it will automatically sell on that reputation alone are deluding themselves. This is big business and money is at stake"

Ever heard of renting games? This is how most gamers discover games they like, and work out which ones to buy.

"If GTA:IV's marketing strategy is anything to go by, a release date for GTA:V will be announced three months before. Then they will market the crap out of it for those three months and for a good time after release too. Between now and that release date announcement they will drip feed teasers every few months or so (in fact, I reckon we're due another "drip" soon)."

If GTA:IV's marketing stratedy is anything to go buy, this time they are more likely to keep their mouths shut.

Okay, so what if you were in charge of a multimillion dollar gaming franchise, do you want to release it sooner because its a well known series by a popular company, or would you want to try to show it off and market it longer, possibly stretching the fan base? But what if structurally they haven't changed the engine much? Then they may have a shorter marketing time. But the window for a May release is closing for a 3 months marketing campain.

My prediction in my post above is based on the following marketing timeline for GTA:IV:

Date Projected Release Date Time Until Projected Release Description
09-May-2006
16-Oct-2007
17 months 15 days
E3 2006 Announcement
29-Mar-2007
16-Oct-2007
6 months 21 days
Trailer 1: "Things Will Be Different"
28-Jun-2007
16-Oct-2007
3 months 20 days
Trailer 2: "Looking For That Special Someone"
02-Aug-2007
16-Oct-2007
2 months 15 days
Announcement of delay
28-Nov-2007
29-Apr-2008
5 months 3 days
Box art unveiled
06-Dec-2007
29-Apr-2008
4 months 25 days
Trailer 3: "Move Up, Ladies"
24-Jan-2008
29-Apr-2008
3 months 6 days
Announcement of new release date
08-Feb-2008
29-Apr-2008
2 months 21 days
Five teaser trailers: Vlad Glebov, Manny Escuela, Roman Bellic, Whiz Wireless & Steinway Beer Garden
21-Feb-2008
29-Apr-2008
2 months 8 days
Two teaser trailers: Dilettante Hybrid & Phil Bell
07-Mar-2008
29-Apr-2008
1 months 23 days
Three teaser trailers: Packie McReary, LCPD Recruitment & Gamestop TV Spot
27-Mar-2008
29-Apr-2008
1 months 3 days
Trailer 4: "Good Lord, What Are You Doing?" AKA "Everyone's a Rat"
04-Apr-2008
29-Apr-2008
0 months 25 days
TV commercial: Niko's Walk
11-Apr-2008
29-Apr-2008
0 months 18 days
Two teaser trailers: Playboy X & Liberty City Gun Club
25-Apr-2008
29-Apr-2008
0 months 4 days
Teaser trailer: Niko Bellic
Note how it's roughly three months before the first projected release date when they decided to postpone the release.

Also note how it's also three months before the second release date when they ramped up the marketing in the run up to the release itself.

This doesn't include information about poster campaigns, publicity stunts and other such components of their marketing campaign.

Note: Time until project release is calculated as difference in days divided by 30 days for a month.

Edited by meson1