MASS TRANSIT IN GTA V

cybernovelty

user posted image

Overview

Throughout the GTA series mass transit has always been apart of each game. Whether it were taxis,buses,subway,tram,or commuter rail (Brown Streak) like in GTA San Andreas. It would only make sense to have all modes of transport in GTA V because of the game's proclaimed vastness. Since it is the largest GTA game in terms of area to be made. Rockstar would definitely need to have coordinated a full scale mass transit system for the region that corresponds with Los Angeles and its surrounding areas.

In GTA San Andreas the city of Los Santos which GTA V is based off of had limited mass transit. The only mode of mass transit was the brown streak railroad commuter train. The city of Los Santos had two active transit stations with connections to the other cities within the San Andreas region. Those two stations were Market Station(Subway formatted station) and Unity Station an (above ground) traditional commuter railroad station.

The reality of the matter is that the city of Los Angeles and surrounding area which GTA V is based off is serviced by a fully functional mass transit system known as LACMTA (Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transit Authority). LACMTA operates light rail,subway,and bus service within the Los Angeles city and county region. Commuter rail to the city is provided by MetroLink. Metrolink covers a greater distant than the light rail by extending to communities/municipalities outside of the city and county. It actually services the counties surrounding Los Angeles county as well.

Due to the fact that smaller cities than Los Santos will be featured in the game according to online video analysis. It would only make sense that if the player has a safe house in a neighboring city,town,or village then he/she can use the commuter rail to access them. This method of transport would be an alternative to driving a car, taking a bus,or catching a taxi to save money and time during game play.

Purpose of Mass Transit

Just like Los Angeles,Los Santos will have a growing smog,automobile emission,and freeway traffic jam issue due to urban sprawl. The city will need to have active bus,light rail,and subway service to assist in getting around commuters from all walks of life. Like in many GTA games you will have the "HAVES AND HAVE NOTS". Lower income and inner city areas of Los Santos which will be serviced by Taxis,Buses,and Light rail,while higher income and white collar communitites will be serviced by commuter rail to the outlying regions of Los Santos.

Function in GTA V

Buses-

user posted image

user posted image

Buses will be accessible only if the player is waiting at a bus stop. The bus stop will be readable with arrival time and destination information as well as a GPS route map available to the player. Buses will be by far one of the cheapest and largest mass transit systems by coverage to operate in the game because it will service the entire city of Los Santos. The bus can only be exited and boarded at bus stops.

Subway-

user posted image

user posted image

Like in Los Angeles the subway system will service cultural and business areas of the city of Los Santos. This will include the Vinewood area,downtown los santos,and Rodeo area. The subway system will be completely underground and provide the player with quick and efficient access to important areas of Los Santos during mission or freelance game play.

Light Rail-

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Light Rail in GTA V will be the foundation of how to get around the city of Los Santos to neighboring communities that border the city of Los Santos at a low cost price. The light rail will consist of 3 or more lines and cover a significant amount of Los Santos. Connections to Santa Maria beach,South Central Los Santos otherwise known as (Ganton,Willowfield,and Idlewood) will have stations on the light rail lines. The lines will go from east to west and north to south. There will even be light rail service to downtown Los Santos and the airport LSX as well.

Commuter Rail-

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Commuter Rail will service the outer laying suburban and rural municipalities of the greater Los Santos area. Commuter rail will get the player to coastal communities,mountain communities,and desert communities that are in correlation with the greater Los Angeles area. Commuter rail will be the quickest way of transport to get from point A to point B. Although it will cost more than light rail and bus service it would be the safest and most effective way to cover a vast region like GTA V. Along the commuter rail routes which will consist of 2 lines will be scenic routes in which the player can take pictures of the landscape. Commuter rail will provide service for the player to get to his/her safe houses in more prominent areas of Los Santos and to rural areas in the middle of nowhere.

Awesome post, cybernovelty. icon14.gif

Los Angeles' public mass transit systems are slowly growing in quantity and expanding. It has a basic subway system used by around three million people a year, along with a number of major Busways (dedicated, 100% bus lanes on freeways).

However, the car remains by far the primary choice of transport mode in LA. In most areas of the metropolitan area, it's a necessity. Los Angeles - unlike New York, which is known for its subway system - is known for its extensive and dense road network, dominated by massive 'spaghetti interchanges'. That said, I think we'll most definitely see rail in the game in multiple forms. But it won't be the primary - or necessarily a major - transport option in V.

Awesome post, cybernovelty. icon14.gif

Los Angeles' public mass transit systems are slowly growing in quantity and expanding. It has a basic subway system used by around three million people a year, along with a number of major Busways (dedicated, 100% bus lanes on freeways).

However, the car remains by far the primary choice of transport mode in LA. In most areas of the metropolitan area, it's a necessity. Los Angeles - unlike New York, which is known for its subway system - is known for its extensive and dense road network, dominated by massive 'spaghetti interchanges'. That said, I think we'll most definitely see rail in the game in multiple forms. But it won't be the primary - or necessarily a major - transport option in V.

I think it would be an important part of the game seeing that the LA transit system has been featured in plenty big screen movies. I totally get where you're coming from in terms of the GTA IV region compared to the GTA V region.

Good reading icon14.gif I liked it. No doubt public transport should get a major role in the game due to the size of the map. Railway or some kind of underground metro lines definitely make an appearance.

But then again, we'll have planes to fly around the whole map (but if the map's northern and eastern borders are the mountaineous regions, how will not we able to fly across them?)

senor_huevos_benedicto

Public transport would be another great addition. I think buses would be a good idea; imagine a mission where you travel by bus to intercept someone, then take control of the bus and ram the sh*t out of the guy.

We'll get trains at best. I'm sure city buses will be in the game, execpt only in scripted carchase sequences where it serves only as an obstacle and is disabled outside of missions just like GTA4s "living breathing city"

GET OVER 1 BILLION IN GTA ONLINE WITH THIS GLITCH

Join the best of the best. Join the Republic of Zee.http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/member/zeegtaforums

Add me on Xbox: ZeeGTAForums and PS3: mtkgta420

The Continuing Adventures of Zeehttp://www.youtube.com/ZeeGTAForums

http://www.twitch.tv/zeegtaf

Deji is a coward.

Wannabe in LS

It's the addition of systems such as mass transit that make Rockstar's games feel so real. I really do love how in a game like RDR, you can jump on the rail road and let the game wow you for 10-minutes, without it being anywhere near the primary focus of the game. It's the same in IV, where you hop aboard the subway and let it take you from one area to another and the world just carries on around you.

My hope for V is that we'll have a train network that links the outlying areas with some beautiful scenery to take in on the way. California strikes me as a beautiful place and Rockstar have always tried to make interesting and/or beautiful scenery, so I can't see this being any different.

I made a thread about this a few weeks ago, but it died very fast T_T

I hope this one survives and that we see a realistic rapid transit system here, with buses and stuff. It'll be useful and good looking.

We'll get trains at best. I'm sure city buses will be in the game, execpt only in scripted carchase sequences where it serves only as an obstacle and is disabled outside of missions just like GTA4s "living breathing city"

I just hope you can actually move around in the trains this time. Not being able to have shootouts on the subway trains was a big disappointment for me in IV. I also didn't like that the trains vanished once you had a high enough wanted level.

I just hope you can actually move around in the trains this time. Not being able to have shootouts on the subway trains was a big disappointment for me in IV. I also didn't like that the trains vanished once you had a high enough wanted level.

Ye being able to move around whilst on the train would be a the right direction for me. Would be awesome if you get on the train and thereare police cars behind following the train whilst you shoot at them, then at the next stop the police get on and you start moving through carriages taking them out. Would be great for multiplayer aswell (cops and crooks).

They should be drivable too.

I like it, only one (stupid) question: what's the difference between the subway and the light rail?

Good reading icon14.gif I liked it. No doubt public transport should get a major role in the game due to the size of the map. Railway or some kind of underground metro lines definitely make an appearance.

But then again, we'll have planes to fly around the whole map (but if the map's northern and eastern borders are the mountaineous regions, how will not we able to fly across them?)

I know the Amtrak train service has a line called the California Zephyr that services Los Angeles Union Station. It travels along the most scenic routes in the western USA. The commuter rail in GTA V should do just that. Almost like a modern day RDR.

Public transport would be another great addition. I think buses would be a good idea; imagine a mission where you travel by bus to intercept someone, then take control of the bus and ram the sh*t out of the guy.

Buses would definitely offer a scenic route of the cityscape through low income and middle income neighborhoods of the city of Los Santos. It'll also be a way to flee from police that are looking for you on foot.

That would suck. They need to start adding buses and semi trailer trucks in the game to make it more real during roaming game play and mission play.

It's the addition of systems such as mass transit that make Rockstar's games feel so real. I really do love how in a game like RDR, you can jump on the rail road and let the game wow you for 10-minutes, without it being anywhere near the primary focus of the game. It's the same in IV, where you hop aboard the subway and let it take you from one area to another and the world just carries on around you.

My hope for V is that we'll have a train network that links the outlying areas with some beautiful scenery to take in on the way. California strikes me as a beautiful place and Rockstar have always tried to make interesting and/or beautiful scenery, so I can't see this being any different.

Yes rockstar better put a ton of effort into making this game realistic as possible. That means making it a repilca of Los Angeles on a video game.

I made a thread about this a few weeks ago, but it died very fast T_T

I hope this one survives and that we see a realistic rapid transit system here, with buses and stuff. It'll be useful and good looking.

Let's keep this one alive and hope that it creates more ideas and proposals for GTA V mass transit.

I like it, only one (stupid) question: what's the difference between the subway and the light rail?

A light rail transit (LRT) system is an urban rail transit system with a "light" passenger capacity compared to heavy rail and metro systems. Its operating characteristics are that it uses railcars, called light rail vehicles (LRVs), operating singly or in short multiple unit trains on fixed rails in a right-of-way that is not necessarily grade separated from other traffic for much of the way. Light rail vehicles are almost always electrically driven, with power usually being drawn from an overhead line rather than an electrified third rail.

Metro or subway, short for metropolitan railway refers to an urban, electric rail transport system with high capacity and a high frequency of service. Metros are totally separated from other traffic. They operate in tunnels, on elevated structures, or at surface level but with physical separation from other traffic. Metropolitan railways are used for high capacity public transportation - they can operate in trains of up to 10 cars, carrying 1800 passengers or more. In different parts of the world metro systems are also known as the underground, subway, or tube. In Germany the terms U-Bahn and S-Bahn are used. Some metro systems run on rubber tires, but are based on the same fixed-guideway principles as steel wheel systems.

HydraulicWaRiOr

A light rail transit (LRT) system is an urban rail transit system with a "light" passenger capacity compared to heavy rail and metro systems. Its operating characteristics are that it uses railcars, called light rail vehicles (LRVs), operating singly or in short multiple unit trains on fixed rails in a right-of-way that is not necessarily grade separated from other traffic for much of the way. Light rail vehicles are almost always electrically driven, with power usually being drawn from an overhead line rather than an electrified third rail.

Metro or subway, short for metropolitan railway refers to an urban, electric rail transport system with high capacity and a high frequency of service. Metros are totally separated from other traffic. They operate in tunnels, on elevated structures, or at surface level but with physical separation from other traffic. Metropolitan railways are used for high capacity public transportation - they can operate in trains of up to 10 cars, carrying 1800 passengers or more. In different parts of the world metro systems are also known as the underground, subway, or tube. In Germany the terms U-Bahn and S-Bahn are used. Some metro systems run on rubber tires, but are based on the same fixed-guideway principles as steel wheel systems.

Hey dude, you can't just go around and make 8 posts in one thread, if you want to add more to your post then I would strongly suggest the "EDIT" button next time, okay?

[REDACTED]

Hey dude, you can't just go around and make 8 posts in one thread, if you want to add more to your post then I would strongly suggest the "EDIT" button next time, okay?

[REDACTED]

leave the modding up to the mods hey..got to many wanna be clowns around here!

ANTI-Joan Troll Crawford

HydraulicWaRiOr

[REDACTED]

leave the modding up to the mods hey..got to many wanna be clowns around here!

Before you learn to run you must learn to walk, it's best that he knows about it beforehand so that he doesn't do it again, I can understand double posts but that's ridiculous.

[REDACTED]

I loved the public transportation in IV. It really showed you how alive the city really was and got to listen in on other people's conversations and phone calls. Good post icon14.gif Hope they do expand on it in V.

I would love working buses.

They could work like trains worked in SA, use Y/Triangle to get on and sit and ride, then press it again to steal.

I've wanted working trams since SA too. Same principle as above would be awesome.

Finn 7 five 11

Yeah i never understood the wanted level thing, i was always trying to get cops run over and the train never came.

Remember GTA III? it was hilarious watching cops chase the train.

I would love mass transit. Especially on trains and buses. But if so I want the ability to freely roam around the train/bus. Rob some people, kill the driver and steal the bus if you wanted, etc.

I want a good transport system in GTA V as well

In GTA IV the trains and subway were pointless because they took so long compared to just going by car

All the effort to include a big train map on the reverse of the main map, yet what was the point?

I only went on a train once in GTA IV, for the Vlad mission

And in Gay Tony I went ON one train literally lol

They could have made it so a girlfriend wants you to take her home on the train or Roman/Jacob wants to go home on train

Buses? Was there a year long bus strike in Liberty City?

Why did they never move and just stay parked in Star Junction and bus stations?

There could have been a bus driver side mission, where you go along a certain route picking up/dropping off passengers earning money in the process

Hopefully GTA V makes it worthwhile and fun to use public transport

For trains, instead of skipping to destination, have the option to skip the station instead biggrin.gif

HydraulicWaRiOr

I say Taxis in Liberty City, and Buses in Los Santos, it fits the environment.

[REDACTED]