Why has V took as long as it has?

pdbq

III, VC & SA took around a year to make and whilst IV took around 3 years this was understandable due to being the first in HD and being developed for new next gen consoles and also having to create the new RAGE engine. However V will have taken almost 5 years by the time it is released, and im just thinking why it's taken much longer than its predecessors and I can't think of a reason for the wait, surely GTA is the game that made r* and the game that brings in more money than any other game. I know they have been busy with other projects but it's not as if there's only one studio at r*.

Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining, I'm just curious. I'm for a wait if it ends up with a better game, but 5 years to make a game like gta?

senor_huevos_benedicto

Well the engine has been drastically improved since GTA 4, which compared to the GTA V trailer looks very drab and lifeless.

If it is indeed a "bold new direction" they might have spent a lot of time working on it.

And they say it's "the largest and most ambitious" game they've made, so that'll also have taken a very long time.

Plus there's all the spit and polish that's put into Rockstar games.

You're also forgetting the fact that Rockstar North worked on the DLCs, and may have initially worked on Agent, so my guess is that they only properly started on V around mid 2010.

Harwood Butch3r
Well the engine has been drastically improved since GTA 4, which compared to the GTA V trailer looks very drab and lifeless.

If it is indeed a "bold new direction" they might have spent a lot of time working on it.

And they say it's "the largest and most ambitious" game they've made, so that'll also have taken a very long time.

You're also forgetting the fact that Rockstar North worked on the DLCs, and may have initially worked on Agent, so my guess is that they only properly started on V around mid 2010.

I agree with this. R* more than likely laid down some ground work after GTA IV was released, but didn't start full development until about 2010. I bet GTA V's full development time will be equal or less than GTA IV's.

Because it's Rockstar's the largest and most ambitious game yet created.

From what Dan Houser said about the development of GTA III in this interview it would shock me if this is truly their most ambitous project then no it's nothing short of miraculous that we got the first trailer in under four years. I mean they bridged the gap from 2d to 3d in the biggest open world anyone had ever seen, so yeah if they're telling the truth we're in the for one the best if not the best game of all time.

Jasper Petrol

It takes a long time to render a steak! biggrin.gif

Let Rockstar North take their time to make a Grand Theft Auto game that is worth playing

Edited by Jasper Petrol

It takes a long time to render a steak!

They are takin there time with the game so it will be amazing and we won't complain like spoiled bitches

Because Rockstar isn't Activision. They don't do rehashes; They won't release a game unless it brings something new to the table, and after the III-logy and IV that's not a simple task to do.

And if you count the episodes, they've really only been working at it since late 2009.

I don't know why so many people assume that Rockstar started development of GTAV IMMEDIATELY after IV. There ARE other projects on their list, and it is not fair to measure the time in between each title. Look at the amount of time it has taken from the time that Max Payne 3 was first announced until now. What about Agent? Nobody even knows if or when that game will EVER come out.

Well they were working on EFLC until 2010 also on all other games like RDR,LA Noire,MP# which is actually good policy to to have more titles that could continue if GTA lost his appeal.Look at the Activision,they cancelled everything exept COD,and once when COD finally become too boring for customers Activision is over.

to person above

lmaoo they don't have the whole team working on the Episodes, what they would have done is got a few people to work on the DLC and all the rest on the new game. Think about it, GTA IV's map was finished around Early 2007 with a few map changes made in-between the 1st trailer and the games release. So you think the mappers sat around and done nothing for 2 years? hell no, they would have researched and took pictures of present day LA and then started mapping just after IV's release.

If they said it's their largest and most ambitious game, believe it. San Fierro and Las Venturas weren't confirmed until the 2nd trailer of San Andreas.

Even though Dan Houser said its only Los Santos and the surrounding country side. I cant believe him 100%, if its going to be the largest, most ambitious game, it would feature multiple cities and a countryside. I'm tipping for a map 4x bigger than GTA IV and also tipping that its Going to be Los Santos, San Fierro and Las Venturas remade in present day, hd graphics with living, breathing NPC's much more realistic and more fun than IV.

Gaming technology has advanced dramatically since the days of the previous releases. To be quite honest, it would be stupid to compare the amount of time taken to create past games to the current development.

I agree with this. R* more than likely laid down some ground work after GTA IV was released, but didn't start full development until about 2010. I bet GTA V's full development time will be equal or less than GTA IV's.

We have to remember that GTA IV was a "barebones" game, specifically for R* to get "back to it's roots". That means that GTA IV was the foundation for future GTA titles. If it took three years for a "barebones game" to be developed then five years seems just about right for one that will be their "most ambitious game" to date. Plus, we can expect all or most of the content to return from SA and previous titles. Do I smell VCS's Empire Building side missions returning?

Bottom line...BE PATIENT!!!

They still have to sent people to help development of RDR and LA Noire.Also still nobody knows how much time that Agent game take.Of course,making GTA V probably need at least 3 years of development with outother projects.

to person above

lmaoo they don't have the whole team working on the Episodes, what they would have done is got a few people to work on the DLC and all the rest on the new game. Think about it, GTA IV's map was finished around Early 2007 with a few map changes made in-between the 1st trailer and the games release. So you think the mappers sat around and done nothing for 2 years? hell no, they would have researched and took pictures of present day LA and then started mapping just after IV's release.

If they said it's their largest and most ambitious game, believe it. San Fierro and Las Venturas weren't confirmed until the 2nd trailer of San Andreas.

Even though Dan Houser said its only Los Santos and the surrounding country side. I cant believe him 100%, if its going to be the largest, most ambitious game, it would feature multiple cities and a countryside. I'm tipping for a map 4x bigger than GTA IV and also tipping that its Going to be Los Santos, San Fierro and Las Venturas remade in present day, hd graphics with living, breathing NPC's much more realistic and more fun than IV.

Lmaoo! Probably not, but they probably don't have designated "mappers" neither. They also collaborated with San Diego on RDR, which may be counted as "a GTA set in the wild west", and they were working on Agent this whole time.

SF and LV were announced even before the first trailer of SA btw.

I pretty much agree with 2nd post. Looks like R* put (and is still putting) hella lot of effort into V, so I can't wait to see what have they prepared for us. Just can't wait for more info.

W3WQuU9.jpg

All the kids that surrounded me had superheroes - superman, spiderman etc. Paul was my superhero.

Damn you, Carrera GT.

ahwell, maybe this time SF and LV can be announced After the 1st trailer some time. 1 city is a bummer

Don't worry, even if there's only one major city, I'm sure R* will include lots of smaller towns, like RDR. It's the variation that counts. (Still hoping for an LS/LV game but not counting on it.)

senor_huevos_benedicto
ahwell, maybe this time SF and LV can be announced After the 1st trailer some time. 1 city is a bummer

Don't get your hopes up.

I miss the old days, back when we could get III, Vice City, and San Andreas all within less time it takes to make V... Honestly, I'm a bit worried if it's going to get worse. The technology has gotten better, but the brainpower of the programmers hasn't. As the graphics and detail get better, so will the already absurd development time and bloated budgets. Where will it end? Will it get to the point where it literally takes 10 years to produce a new GTA? Judging by the difference between this gen and the last, the answer is probably "yes." Once V is done, I seriously think R* should stop for a moment and reflect upon this problem before proceeding with VI's development.

I agree with the posts saying that development started around mid 2010.

And the reasons for it taking so long, is just that it’s according to the press release their biggest and most ambitious game yet, so it proboly took awhile if it has a big map and they included to details of IV.

Not to mention the engine was being tweaked after IV, like in RDR, and I believe RAGE was used in L.A. Noire to. So there’s no saying that they haven’t been modifying the engine a big to make it perform even better. I also believe the Houser’s where involved in writing RDR, so that took some time out of the script, and maybe even a bit of development. Even though different R*studios made the games, with the Houser bro’s who write for GTA doing something else, all North could really do is polish the engine and maybe some mapping and modeling and the such, I also believe there where people from North that helped with RDR’s development too.

So inshort, they've had there hands full with other games.

Quality over quantity, as few mention here and there, Rockstar North came about with the Housers taking over the company's gaming direction, from BMG Interactive, their take on game design and building is not echoed by others in the Industry. It seems that Take2 are fine with this knowing what the results will be

I wonder how much time it would take people who believe R* are taking "too long" to make something like GTA V?

Short answer: Because it has.

Long answer: As we move forward in gaming, I predict that games will take longer to produce. It's only common sense really that with our ever increasing demand for higher resolution textures, higher polygon models, more variation of sounds, bigger environments and more features that the time scales on creating them increases. Rockstar always like to put 110% into their games and if V has been in development since IV was made then I get the feeling that it will be another boundary pushing and amazing title for us to explore.

Look at games form other developers that don't take much time to roll out... you can instantly see the reasons for their short development, even without playing them.

Short answer: Because it has.

Long answer: As we move forward in gaming, I predict that games will take longer to produce. It's only common sense really that with our ever increasing demand for higher resolution textures, higher polygon models, more variation of sounds, bigger environments and more features that the time scales on creating them increases. Rockstar always like to put 110% into their games and if V has been in development since IV was made then I get the feeling that it will be another boundary pushing and amazing title for us to explore.

Look at games form other developers that don't take much time to roll out... you can instantly see the reasons for their short development, even without playing them.

This: I agree. I don't want a rushed V release. GTA V has definitely been in development since IV came out. Casting may have started in 2010, but the map, models etc probably started a lot earlier.