End of Playstation 2 Era?

Shiva.

I don't own a SLIM PS2, but since I can't find my "fatty", I may get one to replace it. STILL, PS3 would cover PS2 games, in some variations SKU allowing of course, but that's all the more reason to offer PS2 games for owners of both!!

This is 2012 dude, no one buys or play ps2 anymore not even in africa. Buy a xbox 360.

Wrong there, pal.

I play mostly PS2 these days.

Classic's like Vice City.

Real good time playing it like it was back in '03.

And Vice City in my opinion is better than any PS3 game.

Edited by Markwey

I always thought the only PS2 games being made now are sports games or sh*t like Singstar.

I do agree with everyone else though. PS3 games just lack soul compared to PS2 games, but that's generally because I'm nostalgic and that was the peak of my gaming life back in the PS2 era. I rarely play my PS3 now.

I don't think Singstar is bad, but yes, it is mostly sports games coming out now. And they are all ports.

Apart from sports games, the PS2 had pretty much been used for cartoon and platforming games the past few years. I think they will continue to sell new PS2s for a while. The original Playstation was still being manufactured until 2004, and the PS2 has been more popular (and is still being made). So I think they may continue to make systems until at least 2013. Sports game ports may continue until 2014, or until the PS4 comes out.

The Playstation 2 is still a great system, with some amazing games on it. I still have my slim one, and I still play games on it, although it has problems playing CD games. I think Sony has made the right move by continuing to make it all these years. Compared to Microsoft and Nintendo who discontinued the Xbox/Gamecube within a year or two of their next generation systems' releases.

I have slim PS 2, because PS 3 IS f*ckING EXPENSIVE!

but I don't play it now, only played last year to complete MK:SM (Multiplayer is Awesome) and God of War II (Best PS2 game).

LoveMediaExecutive

I have both a 360 and Playstation 2 yet I prefer my PS2 as far as games go, I mainly bought a 360 just to continue a few videogame series like GTA, Silent Hill and Hitman, I'd say the real reason PS2 still remains one of the best systems to date is that it has such a huge variety of different games from every genre with tons of quality titles, the reason this gen's games might pale in comparison is a lot of companies have to rely on sticking to one or two particular genres (namely first and third person shooters with online capabilities) in order to survive as the price to develop games has raised dramatically from last gen sending a lot of smaller companies into bankruptcy and game costs also don't help the matter, it's just the price we pay for advancing technology and the more we advance the more the industry will change, sadly I think the PS2 is the last system we will see what we used to know as traditional gaming on, the games are getting harder to find outside of the internet as GameStop has been depleting their instore Playstation 2 sections down to basically bargain bins with damaged discs in flimsy envelopes.

no one buys or play ps2 anymore

Wrong.

PS2 games > PS3 games. So yes, people still play.

I wouldn't be so quick to lay down such a HUGE blanket statement like that. Is the ps3 not backwards compatible to an extent? It'd make sense to change out for a ps3 and you can play both.

http://us.playstation.com/support/compatiblestatus/index.htm

4XEtraA.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games

They're still making games for it...

Well only one game on that list is coming out this year, though there are a few that came out last year though. The PS2 isn't dead yet. They are still making and selling brand new consoles.

DVf9mQs.png

Formerly known as The General

Ps2 has been out of date ever since ps3 was released. lol Whether they released games on it still or not. You never know...they may release something new afterall in the future? Hard to believe? Well go head over to Sega Genesis releases and see whats new on that, two years ago there was two new games for it that were released. So if the Genesis can come out with brand new 16 bit games...then a system like ps2 can as well. As long as there is a developer willing to go back to that era of technology.

I'm having Playstation 2. I buyed it with the hope that I can play Gta IV but , it doesn't support Ps2 platform . Not only that but many new games are only supported in PS3. So, no more game gonna be released for PS2? Is it over? Please, I need an answer

You will find PS2 games but not the latest, Who'll buy PS3 then?

tbh i prefer ps3 over ps2...

i couldnt give a f*ck about spyro or whatever since they are all pretty lame for me... ps3 had quite alot of good games imho... infamous series, uncharted series, GOW 3, gran turisimo 5

Finn 7 five 11
no one buys or play ps2 anymore

Wrong.

PS2 games > PS3 games. So yes, people still play.

I wouldn't be so quick to lay down such a HUGE blanket statement like that. Is the ps3 not backwards compatible to an extent? It'd make sense to change out for a ps3 and you can play both.

http://us.playstation.com/support/compatiblestatus/index.htm

Only the release models are backwards compatible, they are rare and old.

That's not true, since I've been researching compatible PS3 parts for a build I'm currently on, there's more then one backward compatible SKU as I understand it

That's not true, since I've been researching compatible PS3 parts for a build I'm currently on, there's more then one backward compatible SKU as I understand it

Ive seen ps3 slims play ps2 game from disks. You need to use a ps3 fat motherboard on it, or force (and solder) the emotion engine chip into the slim motherboard. Without the emotion chip, nobody is playing any ps2 games on PS3 slim without an emulator.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Didn't Playstation 2 stop being very popular in 2008 or something? But I remember that there were some games that was released in 2010 and some that were going to be released in 2011. Anyway, they have produced games for the console for over 10 years now, quite impressing. I guess they are going to stop producing the consoles itself soon.

I guess they are going to stop producing the consoles itself soon.

They won't stop producing it until people stop buying it.

DVf9mQs.png

Formerly known as The General

Knowing Sony... They'll shoot for the Big TWO OH!

The PS2 Emotion Engine hardware wise was supposed to transition to a firmware SOFTWARE approach, I just moved from original 60 model I had initially to the first gen 40, and there was the 20GB around that time frame as well

Edited by Slamman

Alright, calm down. This topic is now gonna be official.

I have a question.

Did someone notice that the game graphics differ from pc and ps2. In PC, it's normal and good but in PS2, it is a little blur and dull.Is there a way to change it?

I have a question.

Did someone notice that the game graphics differ from pc and ps2. In PC, it's normal and good but in PS2, it is a little blur and dull.Is there a way to change it?

Graphics for what game? Pretty much all games look better on a PC or Xbox than a PS2. Although you'll get the best picture quality by playing with a component connection.

I think Slamman was saying that he thinks the PS2 will be around for 20 years. Which probably won't happen, the PS4 will surely be out by then. The Atari 2600 lasted 15 years, I doubt anything will ever outlive that.

Finn 7 five 11

I have a question.

Graphics for what game? Pretty much all games look better on a PC or Xbox than a PS2. Although you'll get the best picture quality by playing with a component connection.

I think Slamman was saying that he thinks the PS2 will be around for 20 years. Which probably won't happen, the PS4 will surely be out by then. The Atari 2600 lasted 15 years, I doubt anything will ever outlive that.

The PS2 is on the way to outliving it.

Sunrise Driver

Surely it's different. And how different depends on the game.

I liked LA Rush graphics on PS2 more.

Surely it's different. And how different depends on the game.

I liked LA Rush graphics on PS2 more.

Yeah. But, Hitman Bloodmoney has a poor graphics in PS2.

The PS2 is on the way to outliving it.

But I just don't see the Playstation 2 lasting until 2015, at the rate games are being released. The current generation consoles will probably have more price drops by then, and of course their successors will be released.

I think that only FIFA and PES are still released for PS2,and it would probably continue until PS4 release in year or two.I loved PS2 but i just didn't have a space for PS2,PS3 and X360.

hi guys, i'm new to those forums, but i know for a fact that PS2 games are not the end. not really, not for other 40 years. most PS2 games are currently have been reformatted to play as PS3 games. they've been converted to PS3 version. they are also remastered in HD. here are photos:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

that's pretty much all i know about.

hope this helps.

na89340qv0n34b09q340

The PS2's been dead for a while now. The last new game I remember seeing it support was WWE vs RAW 2010 or something like that.

fridaynightscream

The last new PS2 games I saw were in August 2010. It's been over for almost 2 years my friend.

I'm having Playstation 2. I buyed it with the hope that I can play Gta IV

GTFO.

Reminds me of Cyclops 9. icon14.gif

fbeRElG.png

I wish we ALL could be so lucky. As I said, the tech of 2005 even, PSP and NinDS were new, but so was Dual Core, and shortly Intel Core2, and dual graphics cards were coming into being, AMD's64 was the king of the roost. Things have changed TOO rapidly only on some fronts, we still commonly use USB 2.0!