End of Playstation 2 Era?

Shiva.

I'm having Playstation 2. I buyed it with the hope that I can play Gta IV but , it doesn't support Ps2 platform . Not only that but many new games are only supported in PS3. So, no more game gonna be released for PS2? Is it over? Please, I need an answer

The software production for PS2 maybe a thing of the past, but each system was expected to have 10 years based on the PS2's run, so it's living on borrowed time, but either way, another factor will be libraries of games, and playing PS games on PS2 of course!

Might want to consider aiming your GTA IV playing for PC, computers, since you can then mod the games additionally, and the hardware will be worth an investment in all the ways you use a computer, perhaps waiting for the next Gen consoles, unless you feel need to play Uncharted or Red Dead Redemption at all....not expecting a PC release on those

Edited by Slamman

Welcome to 2006

My thoughts exactaly.

No offense OP, but what rock have you been liveing under? Last time I saw a new title come out on a Ps2, it was in mid 08 or so I think, and it was just a crap port/cut down version of a current gen game.

QUOTE (shiva s @ Friday, Jan 27 2012, 20:21) I'm having Playstation 2. I buyed it with the hope that I can play Gta IV

Removed.

Edited by Voodoo

jMNM8n3.gif

What were the most recent PS2 games? What were the last out for PS1 or Xbox original? Let's test your gaming forte body of knowledge!

QUOTE (Slamman @ Friday, Jan 27 2012, 22:49) What were the most recent PS2 games? What were the last out for PS1 or Xbox original? Let's test your gaming forte body of knowledge!

Removed.

Edited by Voodoo

jMNM8n3.gif

I know there's others on here that find this thread familiar. Someone posted one very similar to this back around the time GTAIV was announced or around the time of its release. It's someone who's most likely just messing around.

I'm having Playstation 2. I buyed it with the hope that I can play Gta IV but , it doesn't support Ps2 platform . Not only that but many new games are only supported in PS3. So, no more game gonna be released for PS2? Is it over? Please, I need an answer

Yeah man, it's over. bored.gif

Guys be nice, he might of just caught on. Either way, PS2 has fallen in new games lately. All sonys first party devs have also moved on. Most people are all moved on due to the ps2 having lower end hardware then new consoles. (duh). I still love my PS2 though. Theres alot of reasons to have one. Ratchet And Clank, Sly, Etc.

But sony said they wont discontinue the PS2 until no game has come for at least 1 year of the previous game on it. If a game dont come before 1 year of the last ps2 game, then sony will wrap up PS2 production, and do what they did to ps1: Lower the price to $50, then stop producing them, and the ones already out in the store will be the final systems. And then when that happens fools on ebay will put ps2 new systems on there for $500 and say "OMG SO RARE I POOPED AH!" lol.gif

Edited by ccrogers15
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Los Santos Pedestrian
Guys be nice, he might of just caught on.

Well, yes and no.

The PS2 arrived in India and surrounding countries by 2003 (the place where shiva s lives in), but that doesn't really mean a three-year delay means he's like Nigeria, which got their first shipment of PS2's in 2008 and hasn't even got any PS3's.

On topic, the PS2 is the only survivor of the sixth generation of video game consoles. It's already sold over 153 million models, making it the best-selling ever, and it's still in production after 12 years, the longest of a registered game console. The first predicted lifespan of the PS2 was eight years. They were WRONG.

Also, even if the Atari 2600 was in production from 1976 to 1992, Atari Inc. went bankrupt and the console was registered under a different company, which doesn't really count as longest registered.

What were the most recent PS2 games? What were the last out for PS1 or Xbox original? Let's test your gaming forte body of knowledge!

STFU you, too.

That time of the month...

Welcome to 2006

My thoughts exactaly.

No offense OP, but what rock have you been liveing under? Last time I saw a new title come out on a Ps2, it was in mid 08 or so I think, and it was just a crap port/cut down version of a current gen game.

Couldn't agree more.

OP, seriously, what the f*ck. The PS2 era ended back in... as stated, 2006. I still have fun with the PS2, my cousin has one. It's good sh*t, but no new games come out for it unless they're pirated and sh*t.

Sunrise Driver

PS2 era ended in 2008 because 2007 had some quality PS2 games:

GTA VCS (!)

GoW2

Tomb Raider Anniversary

Free Running

TDU

NFSPS

Burnout Dominator

This is 2012 dude, no one buys or play ps2 anymore not even in africa. Buy a xbox 360.

This is 2012 dude, no one buys or play ps2 anymore not even in africa. Buy a xbox 360.

I have all new and old non-handheld consoles made, but in my opinion i like ps2 best.

Thanks for all your kind replies, Guys. I buyed it around last year. I wanted to buy PS3 but it was so costly so I buyed PS2. I'll try to be happy with what I have.

Btw, I don't knew, that it ended in 2006 . If you'd like to discuss further go ahead or else delete this topic.

Sunrise Driver

no one buys or play ps2 anymore

Wrong.

PS2 games > PS3 games. So yes, people still play.

PS2 is the best console ever released. It has a lot of awesome games. All GTA3 era games are on PS2: GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas, Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories.

In my opinion PS2 still has a better library of games than PS3. Some of the games worth mentioning are: MGS2, MGS3, Splinter Sell games, God of War 1 and 2, Prince of Persia trilogy, Bully, Warriors, Getaway, Soul Calibur 3, Resident Evil 4, Driver: Parallel Lines, Devil May Cry trilogy, God Hand, SOCOM 2, The Punisher (2005), Spider-man 2, Psychonauts, Mercenaries, Silent Hill 2, Ratchet & Clank, TimeSplitters 2, Beyond Good & Evil, BLACK, Hitman games, Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Scarface: The World is Yours...

It took the very essence of my being to remain serious in this topic. I won't sleep tonight. GTA IV on PS2, oh for f*ck sake.

Edited by GTAvanja

Wait, did you try to put GTA4 in a PS2... even the intention of that is pretty stupid.

Regardless, alot of PS2 games are miles better than the sh*te we have now.

The problem isnt price but actually getting ahold of the games.

kT8ve9H.png

@Daz As soon as I buyed, I asked for GTA IV in the shope but they said its not available for PS2.

Welcome to 2006

My thoughts exactaly.

Couldn't agree more.

OP, seriously, what the f*ck. The PS2 era ended back in... as stated, 2006. I still have fun with the PS2, my cousin has one. It's good sh*t, but no new games come out for it unless they're pirated and sh*t.

Yeah, no doubt there's plenty of fun to be had, some of my favorite games are on the Ps2, shame mine broke, and I'm just to focused on newer titles at the moment to buy a new one, though I do plan on it. Mainly because I crave a good racing game as of late, and IMO there hasn't been many good racing titles this gen.

Wait, did you try to put GTA4 in a PS2... even the intention of that is pretty stupid.

Regardless, alot of PS2 games are miles better than the sh*te we have now.

The problem isnt price but actually getting ahold of the games.

Lol very true. On ps1, we had crash, spyro, croc and all that good stuff. PS2 was great as well. Ps3 era is just dull. I mean, i want good ol crash and spyro back, but crash is now ended (or on hiatas) and spyros new game is that horrible skylanders BullS*it.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Spyro Trilogy is actually still going. (It's not still on ps2 though)

Spyro Trilogy is actually still going. (It's not still on ps2 though)

Um come again? Spyro has recently been fully rebooted. Its called Skylanders.

user posted image

Harwood Butch3r

I always thought the only PS2 games being made now are sports games or sh*t like Singstar.

I do agree with everyone else though. PS3 games just lack soul compared to PS2 games, but that's generally because I'm nostalgic and that was the peak of my gaming life back in the PS2 era. I rarely play my PS3 now.

Edited by Miamivicecity

leik oh em jeez!
no one buys or play ps2 anymore

Wrong.

PS2 games > PS3 games. So yes, people still play.

Gran Turismo 3, Gran Turismo 4, Time Splitters 2, Kingdom Hearts, GTA III, GTA VC, GTA SA.

Plenty of good games for PS2. Great games will ALWAYS be great games.

I always thought the only PS2 games being made now are sports games or sh*t like Singstar.

I do agree with everyone else though. PS3 games just lack soul compared to PS2 games, but that's generally because I'm nostalgic

No, it's because the gaming industry is trying it's hardest to make games feel like Hollywood movies. Their unique soul is gone.

Finn 7 five 11

Technically it isn't over, but realistically it has barely any new games produced for it, BUT their are so so so many older titles that are fantastic games!

The PS2 is still relatively profitable, selling 30-50 thousand units weekly so it won't be discontinued for a little while yet, but there are so many second hand units going around anyway.