Interesting facts about your country...

BondTrader

So, I was thinking the other day... GTAForums has members of hundreds of different countries, interacting with each other while using the website not just to discuss Grand Theft Auto or gaming, but general topics. I thought it would be good to make a topic where members could share more about where they are from, allowing other members to learn more about the world they live in, and hopefully end ignorance to other cultures and etc.

Post whatever you feel about your country. Anything about the geography, politics, culture, traditions, interesting facts and etc. Yeah, you can find most of this on Wikipedia, but who the hell is gonna research some random country on Wikipedia when getting this info from someone who actually is from that region. Please include things you won't find in a Wikipedia page and well... anything that can make this thread a learning experience.

I know we have tons of people from the UK and the US, but you may discuss the region you live, and etc.

Well, I'll start:

I am from Brazil, the south, near Uruguay. Unlike the common belief that Brazilians are basically black, and of African descent, Brazil is 60% white. Pretty much as much as the US. Brazil has tons of European immigrants, especially Italian, Portuguese and German towards the south. The north of the country basically is made up of brown people, mixtures of caucasian and black. (By the way, we don't speak Spanish, we speak Portuguese. Most people don't know that.)

It's a very multi-cultural country. We got natives in the Amazons, black people in the Northeast and really white mothaf*ckers in the south (like me). The country is warm, but many times it depends on the region since it's the 5th biggest country in the world. In the most populated region, the southeast, temperature has an average of 25 degrees Celsius, falling to about 19-20 in the winter. The north/northeast is very warm and ranges from 25-36 degrees Celsius around the year. The south, where I come from, is warm in the summer, and really, really f*cking cold in the winter. Around 6 degrees Celsius, sometimes going to 0, which to many North Americans and Europeans is quite a good temperature, except houses here don't have internal heating so you're freezing your ass off during the night.

I don't wanna say too much about Brazil because I know there are many of us on GTAF. I hope this topic becomes a nice educational experience for all of us.

vertical limit

Lets see here.

Size is 1,759,540 sq km , slightly larger than Alaska, US. Libya's terrain is mostly barren and flat but with some undulating plains, plateaus, and depressions. Libya's climate is similar to Mediterranean countries along its coast but very dry and hot as you move further inland.

A temperature of 57.7°C (135.9°F) was recorded in the city of Al 'Aziziyah, Libya the hottest recorded temperature ever on the surface of the Earth.

We were colonized by Italians, Mussolini. Many of Italian words such as fork, hand brake and a well done meal are Libyan slang.

Population is 6.X million.

Arabic, Italian, and English languages, all are widely understood in the major cities.

The largest water development project ever devised, the Great Man-Made River Project, brings water from aquifers under the Sahara to the coastal cities.

Hmmm nice bike

I'm one of the many users on here from the US. I suppose I'll just start us off.

I live in the United States of America. Population: 312,919,789. I am specifically in the city of Chicago, the third largest city in the country located in the Midwest (despite looking like it's part of the Northeast to some people, it's still considered Midwest). We had the tallest building in the world (until that other building in Taiwan was built), and it's still the tallest in the country. There's lot's of other great things about this city that I could talk about (besides our baseball, but I've never been into sports anyway), but I'll just speak for the whole country now. There's lots of cultures, lots of languages (English primarily, obviously, but I still hear and see people speaking Polish, Serbian, Arabic, Spanish, etc. Just in this city alone), and we're known for many things (too many to name here). Maybe some fellow Americans can help me out?

Los Santos Pedestrian

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

United States:

About 5% of the world's population lives here. (Roughly 300,000,000 people)

We use over a quarter of the world's energy supply and only produce about 10% of the world's energy

The U.S' economy is the most important in the world, but falls very far behind in overall GDP, poverty levels and economical balance

Since 2000, the national debt has more than doubled from 6 billion to 14.5 billion

The U.S. fell behind in car manufacturing for the first time in 1980 and is now third behind Japan and China

Google, JPMorgan Chase, Wal-Mart, ExxonMobil and Chevron are some of the world's largest companies and were all founded in the United States

New York City has more skyscrapers than any other city. It was also the second U.S. capitol, after Philadelphia, and before Washington, D.C.

Our currency, the U.S. dollar, has lost 96.4% of its value since it was first ratified in 1774. One dollar in 1774 is equivalent to nearly $100 today. A car in 1950 cost an average of $4,500. Today it is about $25,000.

Edited by Los Santos Pedestrian

WedgeAntilles

Scotland... we gave you the f***ing world.

I know there is afew of us on the forums of here. And I'm sure some of us have to be nearly as proud as me.

But before people start hating I am just as proud to be part of Great Britain (and no I'm not a Rangers fan).

Actual interesting facts:

We produce over 300 (yes THREE HUNDRED) different whiskies.

A Scot invented the breech loading rifle (ok he was in the States at the time)

Telephones, yup that was us.

And a Scots scientist invented the hypodermic syringe and said that injection was without doubt the best way to introduce morphine to the bloodstream ( good Edinburg lad or what eh?!?!!)

Thats just a little of what we have done

Scotland... we gave you the f***ing world.

I know there is afew of us on the forums of here.  And I'm sure some of us have to be nearly as proud as me.

But before people start hating I am just as proud to be part of Great Britain (and no I'm not a Rangers fan).

Actual interesting facts:

We produce over 300 (yes THREE HUNDRED) different whiskies.

A Scot invented the breech loading rifle (ok he was in the States at the time)

Telephones, yup that was us.

And a Scots scientist invented the hypodermic syringe and said that injection was without doubt the best way to introduce morphine to the bloodstream ( good Edinburg lad or what eh?!?!!)

Thats just a little of what we have done

I am from the U.S. smile.gif I think we gave people the f*cking world too. Since all the facts have been covered for my glorious nation, I will just post what we've invented.

Air conditioning

Ice-making machine-and ice cube tray

The microwave oven

The polio vaccine

Movie projectors

Nylon

Lap top computers

Microphones

Morse Code

Carbon dating

Jarvik-7 artificial heart

The cash register

The bathysphere

Image dissector

The steam powered elevator

Condensed milk

Cotton gin and the cotton harvesting machines

Bottle making machines

Sugar Evaporation system

Automatic rifle

The Audion

Babbitt metal

Carborundum

Betatron

Cyclotron

Turning Saltwater into fuel with radio frequencies

G1T

WedgeAntilles

Hi Joan, yes the USA did give the world alot, however and awful lot of things on that list were invented by SCOTSMEN residing in the United States, hell a Scotsman even founded the US Navy, get in eh!

My country has an oil fund valued at over $573000000000.

Population of only 4,8 million

Second richest in the world

Not member of the eu.

L71cGcK.png

Well I live in England, and despite what people think we're not actually that stuck up. There's also a perception that class is a big thing here, and that it's quite an ingrained thing in society. I think that's something that you could have probably said about 50 years ago, but now it's not really that much of an issue, at least I wouldn't say it's as prevalent as some people seem to think anyways.

Something I find interesting is that most Americans seem identify themselves as middle class, whereas here most people would identify themselves as lower class. We don't use the term "lower" though, we say "working class".

I'm from Hull which is in the northeast, and is the 12th largest city in the UK in terms of population with just over 300,000. In 1293 when the English were at war with the Scots, King Edward I wanted a strategic location to act as a hub from which to dispatch troops and goods, and to build ships. So he bought the land from some monks, and in 1299 gave it a royal charter (basically just giving it an official status as a city) and it's full name of "Kingston-Upon-Hull" (King's Town, upon the River Hull). The River Hull is a tributary to the Humber Estuary, which is the largest fresh water source that flows from Britain into the North Sea.

Rugby league is a popular sport, and we're the only city that has two clubs in the super league (The national rugby league league) with Hull FC and Hull KR. Football is also popular and the cities club is called "Hull City", nicknamed "the tigers" and made promotion into the premiership in 2008, staying in for 2 season before getting relegated.

Here's some general facts and trivia about Hull and its history:

-William Wilberforce, who was a leader in the abolition of the slave trade in the UK was a native of Hull.

-After London, Hull was the most bombed city in the UK during WWII, 95% of its houses were destroyed or damaged

-The Humber Bridge built in 1981 was the longest suspension bridge in the world upon completion, it's now fifth longest

-It was a member of the Hanseatic League

-It played an important role during the English civil war

-HMS bounty was built in the cities naval yard

-Hull's Holy Trinity Church is the largest parish church in England by floor area

-Hull has a World Trade Centre

-Hull is the only city in the UK with its own independent telephone network company, KC

-People from Hull are called Hullensians

Let's not start comparing countries, there's loads of other topics for that and they didn't end well!

But yeah alot of things did come from Scotland, including..

- Macadamised roads (base used for Tarmac)

- Pedal bicycle

- Steam engine

- Roller printing

- Postmarks and stamps

- Universal Standard Time (UST)

- Radar

- ATM's and PIN's

- Discovery of nucleus in cells

- Hypnotism

- Ultrasound

- MRI scanner

- Input in creating Seisometer

- We invented Cycling, Golf and Rugby as sports

- Penicillin

- TV

- Fridge

- Toilet

- Lawnmower

- The Ghillie suit

- We have some of the unhealthiest people in Europe, due to alcohol and drug abuse.

- Some of the highest crime in Europe, and something like 3rd highest in UK

- We have 6 of the UK's poorest areas - 3 of which are within the same city (Glasgow).

- Life expectancy is around 75 in the city, but it can change as much as 10 years by simply walking into another neighbourhood. So we also have some of the highest healh and social inequalities, again mostly in Glasgow.

I think that's enough for now lol. Lots more though, some weren't obviously purely Scottish, some involved people from other places but the majority originated in Scotland. Personally I really don't like my country and I can't believe so much everyday things and medical technology came from here. Oh and we're not all crazy and love tartan, nor do we drink all day (well, that one is pretty true).

Edited by SmC12

Guys, just remember you can (and should) include more than simple data. Like food, culture, traditions and etc. of your country. icon14.gif And please identify the country not as just "my country" because maybe your flag isn't the countries.

WedgeAntilles

@ fgcarava1; nice topic dude tounge.gif foodstuff?? well a specialty is of course our ability to deep fry the f*ck out of anthin from our nationa dish 'Haggis' to that Italian staple 'Pizza' we can and will deep fry it oh nets not forget Mars Bars (though in my opinion deep fried Crunchies are the absolute best)

@jaysteels; Norway, well what can I say I really take my hat off to you guys, sh*t sure is expensive over there but damn if that aint one seriously well run country... I think we long ago spent (or had taken) all our oil bucks

@SmC12; nice post, really like the balance at the end biggrin.gif isn't Dundee the teenage pregnancy capital of the world?? And I'm sure we have the best most hardcore smack heads known to the human race confused.gif

@ fgcarava1; nice topic dude tounge.gif

deep fried Crunchies are the absolute best)

Thank you, I just thought "With so many ignorant people in this world, we can all learn something from a topic like this." wink.gif

As for the Crunchies... I gotta try out that sh*t. notify.gif

Since there are other members here from the UK, I'll skip that and just give some facts about my home city of Bristol.

Coat of arms: user posted image

Motto: Virtute et Industria - Virtue and Industry.

Twinned with:

- Bordeaux, France

- Hannover, Germany

- Porto, Portugal

- Tbilisi, Georgia

- Puerto Morazan, Nicaragua

- Beira, Mozambique

- Guangzhou, China

Notable residents:

- Isambard Kingdom Brunel - GWR (Great Western Railway), first propeller-driven transatlantic steamship, great bridges and tunnels (Clifton Suspension Bridge for one), S.S Great Britain, he was one hell of an amazing guy.

- James May

- John Cabot

- Justin Lee Collins

- Lee Evans

- Ian Holloway

- Wallace & Gromit ( & creator Nick Park)

- Stephen Merchant

- Blackbeard (Edward Teach)

- Banksy

- The Wurzels

And a few more:

http://www.mintinit.com/famousbristolians.php#James

There is alot to tell, I'll just give some other points on Bristol.

- Suffered extensive bombing during the "Blitz" due to the shipyards and warehouses. (Fun fact, my grandad used to work the spotlights over in Avonmouth during the Blitz).

- The dialect used by some locals is known as "Brizzle".

- The main religion is Christianity, though Islam and other religions are abound.

I can't explain everything. Links for more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol

http://www.bristol.gov.uk/

Edited by AlexGTAGamer

Let me see if I can drunk ramble something about the US that isn't copy/pasted.

You know how when you look at a map of the US and all the different states are totally different colors. I'm not kidding - for the most part each state is very much it's own world with it's own style people and ways. One of the core concepts was for each state to be it's own entity, and that really holds true [for the most part]. Look...I know. I live right next door to New Jersey and there is no way you would ever mistake me for someone from New Jersey and visa versa.

Los Santos Pedestrian

Let's see some other inventions from the U.S:

Steel plow

Mechanical reaper

Mass-Produced automobile

Practical electric guitar

Telegraph

Factory-assembled pickup truck

MS-DOS

Elevator

Escalator

Steel skeleton skyscraper

Red-green traffic light

LED

Personal computer

Video game console

Microphone

Sound recorder

Television

The Internet

The Internet

Hmmm not really. The internet in its present form is something which took decades to develop and involved a vast number of different people from different countries with varying levels of input. To just say it was invented by America isn't really correct, you can't attribute it to one country or person.

If people are just going to put achievements and not a lot else then it's going to turn into a massive cock swinging contest.

Los Santos Pedestrian
The Internet

Hmmm not really. The internet in its present form is something which took decades to develop and involved a vast number of different people from different countries with varying levels of input. To just say it was invented by America isn't really correct, you can't attribute it to one country or person.

If people are just going to put achievements and not a lot else then it's going to turn into a massive cock swinging contest.

Pretty much incorrect.

The first real predecessor to the internet was developed around 1968 by the U.S. Department of Defense to send out digital information across the country. It was called ARPANET, and the first server to this ancient fossil of the net was set up the same year between computers in UCLA, the Stanford Research Institute, the University of California, and the University of Utah. The first true 'website' was created the same year as well and only said 'lo'. It was meant to say login, but the computer didn't have enough memory to hold the full word.

The World Wide Web, however, was created by an Englishman (Tim Berners-Lee), and hypertext created by a Swiss person, but they both probably wouldn't have existed without ARPANET.

Harwood Butch3r

We're all descendants of European convicts and on every street corner there's a kangaroo.

Harwood Butch3r

My Country can kick your Country's ass.

I think that's a fact.

Nah uh. My country's better than yours poopy head.

I live on the biggest island in the world. Beat that. ph34r.gif

I live on the biggest island in the world. Beat that.

Of which, like, 40% is uninhabitable. tounge.gif

Harwood Butch3r
I live on the biggest island in the world. Beat that.

Of which, like, 40% is uninhabitable. tounge.gif

Shhh. lol.gif

Technically speaking, Greenland is the largest island. Australia is actually the smallest continent. Pissed on your bonfire tounge.gif

Harwood Butch3r
Technically speaking, Greenland is the largest island. Australia is actually the smallest continent. Pissed on your bonfire tounge.gif

Come on don't ruin my fun now. biggrin.gif

Instead of doing the US (too many American users covering one subject), i'm going to do the city i live in.

Spokane, Washington, USA

Spokane (Pronounced Spoke Ann) is a city located in the Northwestern United States in the state of Washington. It is the largest city of Spokane County of which it is also the county seat, and the metropolitan center of the Inland Northwest region. The city is located on the Spokane River in Eastern Washington, 110 miles (180 km) south of the Canadian border, approximately 20 miles (32 km) from the Washington-Idaho border, and 271 miles (436 km) east of Seattle.

David Thompson explored the Spokane area and began European settlement with the westward expansion and establishment of the North West Company's Spokane House in 1810. This trading post was the first long-term European settlement in Washington and the center of the fur trade between the Rockies and the Cascades for 16 years. In the late 19th century, gold and silver were discovered in the Inland Northwest. The Spokane area is considered to be one of the most productive mining districts in North America. Spokane's economy has traditionally been natural resource based; however, the city's economy has diversified to encompass other industries, including the high-tech and biotech sectors.

The city of Spokane (then known as "Spokane Falls") was settled in 1871 and officially incorporated as a city in 1881. The city's name is drawn from the Native American tribe known as the Spokane, which means "Children of the Sun" in Salish. Spokane's official nickname is the "Lilac City", named after the flowers that have flourished since their introduction to the area in the early 20th century.Completion of the Northern Pacific Railway in 1881 brought major settlement to the Spokane area. Spokane is also known as the city that founded Father's Day, a holiday celebrating fatherhood every year in the month of June.

With a population of 208,916, according to the 2010 Census, Spokane is the second largest city in Washington, and the third largest in the American portion of the Pacific Northwest, behind Seattle, and Portland, Oregon, and is the 100th largest city in the United States. Spokane is the principal city of the Spokane Metropolitan Statistical Area, which is coterminous with Spokane County. As of 2010, the county had a population of 471,221.

Famous people born or raised in Spokane:

* Bing Crosby, Famous singer and actor was raised in Spokane and graduated from Spokane's prestigious Gonzaga University.

* John Stockton, Hall of Fame Basketball player and the current leader in career assists and steals in the NBA and 10 time NBA All Star.

* Mark Rypien, Superbowl winning QB for the NFL's Washington Redskins and Superbowl MVP of Superbowl 26 (1991)

* Sonora Smart Dodd, Creator of Father's Day.

* Hillary Swank, Actress best known for her Academy Award winning roles in Boys Don't Cry and Million Dollar Baby.

* Craig T. Nelson, Actor best known for his Emmy awards winning lead role in the TV series Coach

* Tom Foley, US politician and former Democratic Speaker of the US House of Representatives

* Robert Lee Yates, Infamous Serial killer

Spokane is also famous for its huge basketball tournament, Hoopfest, which is the worlds largest 3 on 3 basketball tournament in which downtown Spokane streets are closed to house the Basketball courts. Its estimated that in the 2011 tournament roughly 200,000 people participated and watched Hoopfest which is nearly equal to the population of the City of Spokane. In 2011 Hoopfest had an astounding 27,876 players and a total of 7,046 teams.

Spokane is also home to one of the US's best law schools in Gonzaga University. And home to the famous Davenport Hotel and is known for its ornate decoration and its lavish accommodations and is the hotel of choice for visiting celebrities.

The Davenport Hotel's Ornate lobby (in link form cause it would stretch the page majorly):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...tHotel-int1.jpg

Several celebrities have getaway homes in the Inland Northwest including Arnold Schwartzenegger, Bruce Willis, Adam West, John Kerry, Clint Eastwood, Jaime Lee Curtis, and Steve Miller.

My country was named after a lion. And my country's national mascot is a merlion.

Yeah it's a lion head with a mermaid body. I still think it's the weirdest sh*t my country has ever come up with. We have three of this huge ass statues over here.

user posted image

Our country has variety of things.

It starts from Food, Drugs, Clothes, Discrimination, Abusive Language, Unity, Democracy, Economy, Climate, Location, Religion, Different types of People, Art, Literature, Nature, Sex, Drama, Corruption, No Strict Rules.

The list will never end.

I come from Iran. Inventions:

Iran with its inception in 3200 BC, is the oldest country in the world.

(6000 BC) - The modern brick. Some of the oldest bricks found to date are Persian, from ca. 6000 BC.

(~5000 BC) - Invention of Wine.

(5000 BC) - Invention of Tar (lute), that led to the development of the guitar.

(3000 BC) - The ziggurat. The Sialk ziggurat, according to the Cultural Heritage Organization of Iran, predates that of Ur or any other of Mesopotamia's 34 ziggurats.

(2000 BC) - Peaches are a fruit of Iranian origin, as indicated by their Latin scientific name, Prunus persica, from which (by way of the French) we have the English word "peach."

Tulips were first cultivated in ancient Persia.

(1700 BC) - The windmill.

(1400 BC) - The game of Backgammon appears in the east of Iran.

(1400 BC to 600 BC) - Zoroastrianism: where the first prophet of a monotheistic faith arose according to some scholars, claiming Zoroastrianism as being "the oldest of the revealed credal religions, which has probably had more influence on mankind directly or indirectly, more than any other faith".

(576 BC to 529 BC) - Under the rule of Cyrus II the Great, the Cyrus Cylinder was issued. This is considered to be the first universal declaration of human rights, predating the Magna Carta by one millennium It was discovered in 1879 in Babylon and today is kept in the British Museum.

(576 BC to 529 BC) - Under the rule of Cyrus II the Great, Cyrus frees the Jews from Babylonian captivity. See Cyrus in the Judeo-Christian tradition.

(521 BC) - The game Polo.

(500 BC) World's oldest Staple (fastener).

(500 BC) The first Taxation system (under the Achaemenid Empire).

(500 BC) The first courier post. Also called the "Royal Road".

(500 BC) - Source for introduction of the domesticated chicken into Europe.

(500 BC) - First cultivation of spinach

An ancient ice house, called a yakhchal, built in ancient times for storing ice during summers.

Spoon crafted in 550BC.

(400 BC) - Yakhchals , ancient refrigerators. (See picture above)

(400 BC) - Ice Cream.[22]

(250 BC) - According to archaeological digs, the Parthians created the world's first batteries. Their original use is still uncertain, though it is suspected that they were used for electroplating.

(250 BC) Original excavation of a Suez Canal.

(271 AD) - The teaching hospital

(700 AD) - The Cookie.

(762 AD) - Designing Baghdad: The original city was based on Persian precedents such as Firouzabad in Persia. The two designers who were hired by the caliph al-Mansur to plan the city were Nowbakht, a former Persian Zoroastrian, and Mashallah, a former Jew from Khorasan.

(864 AD-930 AD) - First systematic use of alcohol in Medicine: Rhazes.

(1000 AD) - Introduction of paper to the west.

(935 - 1020) - Ferdowsi writes the Shahnama (Book of Kings) that resulted in the revival of Iranian culture and the expansion of the Iranian cultural sphere.

(980 - 1037) - Avicenna, a physician, writes The Canon of Medicine one of the foundational manuals in the history of modern medicine.

(1207 AD - 1273 AD) - Rumi writes poetry and in 1997, the translations were best-sellers in the United States.

Algebra and Trigonometry: Numerous Iranians were directly responsible for the establishment of Algebra, the advancement of Medicine and Chemistry, and the discovery of Trigonometry.

Qanat , subterranean aqueducts.

Wind Catchers , ancient air residential conditioning.

"Virtually all European scholars claim Arabic music has Persian origins

TL;DR: Wine, staplers, the lute, Algebra, declaration of human rights, bricks and Taxes.

------

The world's 6th tallest concrete tower in the world is in Iran:

The Milad Tower.

user posted image

------

1. Iran has the highest foreign refugees population in the world.

2. Iran has the largest Islamic banking sector in the world.

3. Iran has 89 years of oil left, which is the highest in the world.

4. The Iran Blizzard was the deadliest blizzard in history.

5. Iran has the highest intensity of background radiation in the world.

------

All routine vaccinations in Iran are financed by the government.

I'm from Mexico.

Our population is 112,322,757, our main and only language is spanish but a lot of us(including myself) speak english.

My city is Monterrey, and its literally surrounded by mountains, it's the countries 3rd biggest city, 2nd and 1st being Guadalajara and Mexico City respectively.

user posted image

Our main sport is Football(Soccer in the US) but we do a lot of other sports such as basketball, baseball and several others, i believe the only sport we don't play is hockey.

Temperature is pretty hot in here it gets around 10º celcius in winter and around 40º in the summer, and uh....

This guy invented color TV

Pretty cool huh?