Rockstar recruiting for GTAV playtest?

ThiagoGTABR

By Martyn McLaughlin

Published on Sunday 8 January 2012 00:00

WITH youth unemployment reaching record highs, this could be the most eagerly applied-for job in recent history

The Scottish firm behind one of the most successful video games series has come up with a teenager’s dream job by advertising for gamers to test its upcoming blockbuster release.

To some, the work will be repetitive and the pay modest – around £14,000 a year. But then again, it is one of the few jobs which allow employees to freefall from a burning helicopter or wield a machine-gun while driving a sports car at death-defying speeds.

The company seeking testers is Rockstar North, which wants to ensure its Grand Theft Auto V (GTAV) meets the high standards of its predecessors, which have sold around 125 million copies worldwide.

After four years of development at its Edinburgh studios, the eagerly anticipated title is due to be released later this year, and the award-winning team behind the franchise is in the final stages of honing its vast, virtual universe.

To the envy of millions of gamers worldwide, the successful candidates will be based at Rockstar North’s offices, where they will be paid to play the game repeatedly before it hits shop shelves.

However, games experts warned applicants against expecting a glamorous job, as they will be tasked with playing the same sections over and over again in an attempt to identify and iron out as many flaws and mistakes in the programming code as possible.

Tristan Donovan, a computer games expert and author of Replay: The History of Video Games, said: “The new GTA game is the major title of 2012, and for it to be anything other than a raging critical and commercial success would be a shock.

“It’s replicating a major world city, so the playing area is enormous, with bridges, skyscrapers, and alleyways, absolutely everything. It’s a lot of work to create these worlds, let alone test them.”

He added: “Playtesting is a vital part of a game’s development process, the testing of what works and what doesn’t, because unlike a film, people can play around with a game in different ways, especially in a title like GTAV, which allows people to do just about anything.

“The image of the job is glamorous, where you get to sit around and play games all day. But you’re playing the same section of a game over and over again for months on end, checking for bugs. Actually, it’s quite a menial task. ”

Notorious for its secrecy, Rockstar North has promised GTAV will herald “a bold new direction in open world freedom”, but has given little away about its upcoming product other than a brief trailer released last November.

In it, glimpses were given of the fictional city of Los Santos in San Andreas – based on Los Angeles, California – and the surrounding countryside. The advert for the jobs, posted on Rockstar North’s website, states: “Rockstar North is looking for enthusiastic and self-motivated individuals to join our quality assurance team in Edinburgh.

“You will be expected to play our games looking for problems and accurately report errors through our databases to ensure superior game quality before release.”

No one from Rockstar was available for comment, but the industry starting salary for testers is around £14,000. The company does not specify any minimum qualifications for the coveted full-time roles, other than stipulating that candidates must be aged 18 or over, with excellent written and verbal communication skills.

by http://www.scotsman.com/news/rockstar_nort..._fans_1_2043348

By Martyn McLaughlin

WITH youth unemployment reaching record highs, this could be the most eagerly applied-for job in recent history

The Scottish firm behind one of the most successful video games series has come up with a teenager’s dream job by advertising for gamers to test its upcoming blockbuster release.

To some, the work will be repetitive and the pay modest – around £14,000 a year. But then again, it is one of the few jobs which allow employees to freefall from a burning helicopter or wield a machine-gun while driving a sports car at death-defying speeds.

The company seeking testers is Rockstar North, which wants to ensure its Grand Theft Auto V (GTAV) meets the high standards of its predecessors, which have sold around 125 million copies worldwide.

After four years of development at its Edinburgh studios, the eagerly anticipated title is due to be released later this year, and the award-winning team behind the franchise is in the final stages of honing its vast, virtual universe.

To the envy of millions of gamers worldwide, the successful candidates will be based at Rockstar North’s offices, where they will be paid to play the game repeatedly before it hits shop shelves.

However, games experts warned applicants against expecting a glamorous job, as they will be tasked with playing the same sections over and over again in an attempt to identify and iron out as many flaws and mistakes in the programming code as possible.

Tristan Donovan, a computer games expert and author of Replay: The History of Video Games, said: “The new GTA game is the major title of 2012, and for it to be anything other than a raging critical and commercial success would be a shock.

“It’s replicating a major world city, so the playing area is enormous, with bridges, skyscrapers, and alleyways, absolutely everything. It’s a lot of work to create these worlds, let alone test them.”

He added: “Playtesting is a vital part of a game’s development process, the testing of what works and what doesn’t, because unlike a film, people can play around with a game in different ways, especially in a title like GTAV, which allows people to do just about anything.

“The image of the job is glamorous, where you get to sit around and play games all day. But you’re playing the same section of a game over and over again for months on end, checking for bugs. Actually, it’s quite a menial task. ”

Notorious for its secrecy, Rockstar North has promised GTAV will herald “a bold new direction in open world freedom”, but has given little away about its upcoming product other than a brief trailer released last November.

In it, glimpses were given of the fictional city of Los Santos in San Andreas – based on Los Angeles, California – and the surrounding countryside. The advert for the jobs, posted on Rockstar North’s website, states: “Rockstar North is looking for enthusiastic and self-motivated individuals to join our quality assurance team in Edinburgh.

“You will be expected to play our games looking for problems and accurately report errors through our databases to ensure superior game quality before release.”

No one from Rockstar was available for comment, but the industry starting salary for testers is around £14,000. The company does not specify any minimum qualifications for the coveted full-time roles, other than stipulating that candidates must be aged 18 or over, with excellent written and verbal communication skills.

Max Payne 3 turn.gif

Rockstar NEVER holds open BETAS. I'll slit anyone's throat who says otherwise.

Yes, that's true, but why did you quoted a post that is above you?? lol

See no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil...

I LOST A FRIEND, MAY GOD REST YOUR SOUL, ZEE

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

user posted image

user posted image

Rockstar have a whole department (Rockstar Lincoln) whose only purpose is to test their games. Therefore Rockstar have no need for public testings.

Besides game testing isn't as fun as it sounds.

Yes, that's true, but why did you quoted a post that is above you?? lol

Because I like to piss people off turn.gifwink.gif

I would fit the requested age group but I'm in the U.S so I have no chance of getting the job lol.

E: NVM I misread the article. You have to be over 18. I thought it said under and they wanted teenagers to test it

Edited by gtamann123

Max Payne is not developed by Rockstar North... the posting is for testing GTAV, but it tells us nothing about when it will come out.

Los Santos Pedestrian

Max Payne 3  turn.gif

It said Rockstar North. North works on GTA, Rockstar Vancouver works on Max Payne.

senor_huevos_benedicto

This is old news.

And it is true:

it's not for Max Payne 3 as Rockstar North don't make Max Payne 3.

senor_huevos_benedicto
so probably its a beta for Agent!!! tounge2.gif

You have to be joking.

Rockstar North can only develop one game at a time, and guess what, it's GTA V.

Its for Battlefield bad company 3

I am joking Battlefield is from EA , So what ?

You want to fight ??

G1T

Rockstar have a whole department (Rockstar Lincoln) whose only purpose is to test their games. Therefore Rockstar have no need for public testings.

Besides game testing isn't as fun as it sounds.

Exactly even if it was GTAV after you were done being a tester it would leave a bitter taste in your mouth after having to play the same level over and over again searching for bugs

PassiveSurveillance

Playtesting would suck. I wouldn't mind if it was a game I didn't care about, like a new Call of Duty game, but the fact it (may be) is GTA V, forget it. Playing it would ruin the whole excitement of waking up on release-date and picking that baby up then playing it when I get home.

This is very old news but I actually do fit the age group!

Yay for being in college!

Regardless, I live no where near the area and even if I did, I wouldn't chose to playtest GTA V.

Maybe Agent of MP3, but I don't want the GTA experience ruined for me.

Although, you do get to play the beta...

senor_huevos_benedicto

Regardless, I live no where near the area and even if I did, I wouldn't chose to playtest GTA V.

Game Testing is arduous work where you have to repeatedly play parts of games to find the smallest bugs.

I'm with you, I wouldn't want the experience ruined for me.

14, 000 per year?? For testing???!!!

I don't want to live anymore.

W3WQuU9.jpg

All the kids that surrounded me had superheroes - superman, spiderman etc. Paul was my superhero.

Damn you, Carrera GT.

Game Testing is arduous work where you have to repeatedly play parts of games to find the smallest bugs.

I'm with you, I wouldn't want the experience ruined for me.

Yeah but it's good for people who are trying to break into the game development scene.

An easy and nice way to get your foot in the door!

Playtesting would suck. I wouldn't mind if it was a game I didn't care about, like a new Call of Duty game, but the fact it (may be) is GTA V, forget it. Playing it would ruin the whole excitement of waking up on release-date and picking that baby up then playing it when I get home.

I agree with you!

senor_huevos_benedicto
Were do I send my application? icon14.gif

About half a month into the past.

Why is it that people are finding this out now when they started recruiting on Jan. 8....

Ludzidocelowych
By Martyn McLaughlin

Max Payne 3 turn.gif

Can't be Max Payne 3, as Rockstar North isn't working on MP3

Los Santos Pedestrian
WOW! 14.000$ for testing GTA V!!!

a year dozingoff.gif

That's like $30 something.

Weekly.

Correction: about $40 a day.

Also it's in pounds, not dollars, so it's even less.

People who play test games probably don't wanna see them after. I'd rather wait 6 months and get it to play whatever I want, whenever I want, not the same mission...

14, 000 per year?? For testing???!!!

I don't want to live anymore.

For the amount of stress, work, boredom, redoing everything, and the long f*cking hours QA testing is, I don't want to live anymore either if I'm getting less then minimum wage(way f*cking less)

Los Santos Pedestrian: Actually it's more. Around $22,000. Let's try and figure out the hourly wage for this job.

Standard QA hours are somewhere around 10-15 hours a day, 5 to 7 days a week. So Let's go 12 hours a day, 5 days a week for this example.

We would be getting payed $7 an hour, or $84 a day, $420 a work week.

Might sound ok to most Americans who work minimum wage, to most of the world, it's bullsh*t, for the amount of work we put in. People who work at McDonalds get payed more then that.

Sure QA testing is a good way to get into the gaming business, but you either have to have no soul, or be really dedicated to your job to put up with it year after year after year.

Edited by ioN