Glasses or contacts?

Ex Hellraiser

@Mark

What you mean? I´m talking about eye lasering, it can prevent using glasses or contacts. Using glasses is a defect, it´s not a cosmetic problem. Therefore the insurances should have to pay for this kind of surgery you know.

It is not life threatening, nor does it affect your health and well being. The advantages are purely cosmetic and the slight convenience of not needing to remember to put on another item of clothing before you step out the door. I fail to see why it should put everyone's already substantial health premiums up so that you can be a little bit more lazy. Remember, considering how many people need glasses at some point in their life, you would have to up premiums by the value of the cost of laser surgery for everyone over the course of your term paying for health insurance. In truth, you could either pay for surgery yourself if and when you decide to, or you could be charged for it possibly against your will and then told to take it or leave it. Insurance companies also take a cut (they're a business after all) so the cost to the end user will be higher via this route anyway.

You could also end up with the bizarre effect of people not being able to get insurance or charged insanely high premiums purely for the fact they have severe difficulties seeing, even if they do not wish to do anything about it.

Anyway, here in the UK the NHS would never advocate such a thing as the service would be so over stretched as a result and National Insurance rises would make the offending government hugely unpopular, especially with those who do not need or want corrective surgery.

Girls also look cute in glasses. Damn it.

I think the main reason for this is that we guys are pervs, and imagine all girls who wear glasses as being sexy secretaries. At least that's what I do anyways.

I got glasses a few months ago after needing them probably for about a year or so. I've worn them only a few times since I got them, probably due to being too accustomed to my current routine. I originally needed them for school to see the whiteboard, but I ended up getting them about a week after school finished, which was a bit stupid. But chances are I'll require them for Uni next month. It's amazing how much clearer everything looks. You don't really notice your eye sight deteriorate until you try the appropriate glasses, and suddenly the world is so much more vibrant.

Anyways, that aside, if wearing glasses is a hassle and a genuine pain in the ass, go for the contacts. I've never tried contacts and many dislike them, but they seem the way to go if glasses become annoying. In the long-run I'd recommend lazer-eye surgery. My dad had it done a few months ago, as well as my Aunty, and it definitely seems worth the cash. For the time being, I'd advise to wear contacts when you go out (if you dislike glasses a lot), and then just use a pair of glasses while at home. Seems like the most convenient way to go about it.

nor does it affect your health and well being. The advantages are purely cosmetic

The health is not affected but the well beeing is a controversal point. The are plenty of situations were glasses are an obstacle and not out of cosmetic reasons. Mostly cause they´re just there.

They do, oh yes but you´ve directly given one point were glasses are problematic to use. The girls always put your glasses off when it comes to dirty things.

I don´t like that but this thing is kind of disturbing, she is right to put it away but "Hey girl, don´t put that off, I cannot see you if you do but I would like to, you know".

biggrin.gif

Sounds funny and is kind of exaggerated but I experienced such creepy moments.

Maybe it´s impossible to realize a payment for wearer of glasses but there are reasonable arguments to do so.

I don´t care the cosmetic aspect, glasses can be pretty cute but finally they are an unhandy thing for me and will ever be. There´s something in my face that doesn´t belong there.

Technically it is just another kind of prosthesis, isn´t it?

Edited by NaidRaida

Just a side comment:

No one has ever gotten an eye infection from dirty glasses as opposed to contacts being worn one time too many without cleaning.

Absolutely another big reason I say no to contacts. Not that I'd neglect them. I just don't want to stick foreign objects and possible bacteria into my eyeball.

I don't know, some people will see you as a geek if you were glasses, but that really shouldn't stand in your way.

And I don't feel really comfortable putting tiny things in my eye either...

I've worn glasses since I was 11, but I should've gotten it while I was still 7, there for, my eye extent is already 300 on the left and 320 on the right. Damn. suicidal.gif

I would recommend glasses since it's safer than contact lenses. icon14.gif

I wear glasses as I have Myopia (short-sightedness) and I get on pretty well with my glasses. It kind of helps that I have OCD so I always have them kept in the same place. biggrin.gif

Back in school I was always concerned that people would find me "geeky" for wearing glasses, but they couldn't give two ticks to me wearing them.

But I really have to watch out for Glaucoma as it runs in the family genes. Plus my ma' has the condition.

Depends on what kind of contacts, I've had glasses for a long time and tried both one-day contacts and monthly ones.

Glasses Daily contacts Monthly contacts
+ Quick and simple + Also quite quick and simple, throw them away once the day is over + Possibly more economical than daily ones
+ No need to poke around in your own eye + No messing around with cleaning required + Not "in the way"
+ A "one-time" cost, depending on how long you keep one pair of glasses + Difficult to lose once they are in + Difficult to lose once they are in
- You can lose them + Not "in the way" - Cleaning required
- They get dirty ± Not sure about cost in the long run - Bigger possible hygienic hazard
- Can be "in the way" if you do a lot of sports, etc - Poking around in the eye - Poking around in the eye
- You can break them - Possible hygienic hazard?
- Aesthetics?
Firstly, let me say that I am not an active person, I do not like sports at all. Personally, I'm thinking about quitting with contacts, monthly ones anyway. I started using contacts a few years ago when I had lots of P.E. and stuff like that in school. When doing sports, contacts are way better. They won't fall out and they won't break. You might even see slightly better as they sit much closer to your eye than glasses do.

Now however, I don't do P.E. as often, and using contacts is more of a hassle, as to be honest, glasses work as well and I'm a bit lazy. tounge.gif I am going to use my glasses, and get a small supply of daily contacts that I use for those rare occasions when I go sporting/swimming, etc.

You will get used to poking around in your eye, don't worry about that. I say try them, there's not much you can lose and you might love them. If you're in to sports, definitely, contacts can almost open up a whole new world. I don't think you should worry too much about the hygienic aspect of contact lenses, just use some common sense. I've never had any massive cleaning procedures but I've never had any problems.

Edited by Andreaz1

Ex Hellraiser
The health is not affected but the well beeing is a controversal point. The are plenty of situations were glasses are an obstacle and not out of cosmetic reasons. Mostly cause they´re just there.

Agreed. In school, I can't prop my head up with my arm, because my glasses jam into my nose, and i cant express how much less pain I am in when i get hit in the face with a dodgeball with my glasses off

What do you guys have in terms of CLEANING glass lenses? I have my cheapest pair seemingly GLAZED with fog, no matter what I use to clean them, once fingers touch the lens, it seems, forget about it!

There must be some sorta solution though, I use Windex, Glass optic cleaner, special material my dad gave me, and water and TP to try and clean them, even Kleenex and still... Only marginally successful

@slamman, even though I have perfect eyesight, for diving goggles I usually use toothpaste as a makeshift defogger, and it's a spot cheaper than specialized defogger sprays. TP and tissues are sh*t for cleaning glasses lenses, you'll want to use a nice microfiber towel specifically made for them. Otherwise you'll get lint sh*t all over your lenses.

4XEtraA.jpg

Fog really describes the more FILM like appearance you get on the lenses when it spreads things like finger oil over the entire surface, rather then properly remove it

I would advice you to wear glasses. Contacts could be a real problem and it could easily fall out or cause itching.