Glasses or contacts?

Ex Hellraiser

Ex Hellraiser

I've worn glasses for 8 years now. I have been considering getting contacts. Good idea? What is better/worse about contacts?

When I was about 10, I found out I was short sighted, so I had to wear glasses when looking at things from far away like the whiteboard at school. Before Christmas I switched to contact lenses and I think they're brilliant. They take some getting used to, but after a while you become accustomed to them and it's like having perfect vision again - I'd highly recommend them.

I've worn glasses for over a decade now (I think I was about 7/8 when I found out I needed 'em) and I don't think I'll ever get contacts. Touching my actual eyes is a barrier I'm not comfortable crossing regularly. That's not to say I love having to wear my glasses from when I get up to when I go to bed, just that I'm saving up (and hoping my mam will "gift" it to me as a birthday present) for laser eye surgery on my 21st.

That said, glasses aren't as bad as some people think. I've heard some people moan saying they prevent you doing lots of things, but it's bollocks mostly. I've heard Stephen Merchant say on radio and podcasts and stuff that you can't jump into a mosh pit or crowd surf because of them, but somehow I've managed to do both countless times and lost more pairs to over enthusiastic headers playing football.

user posted image

If you're the clumsy, forgetful type then I won't suggest getting contacts. One of my friends got contacts a few years back and kept forgetting he had them on. He lost at least a dozen contacts by unknowingly rubbing his eyes and/or washing his face. He switched back to glasses again.

If you don't like wearing glasses, then you can give contacts a try for a couple of months. See how you feel. If you're comfortable with them, you can carry on.

Go for a mixture. I get daily disposable contacts, and will wear them if I'm going to be doing some active, or going on a night out etc. But for around the house or days when I'm working/at university, I will wear glasses.

You will get over the fear of touching your eyes very quickly, when you realise there is essentially no feeling in them.

I've always thought that people who chose to wear contacts did it because they didn't like the look of glasses. They were self-conscious about wearing glasses, and maybe didn't like the way they looked when they wore them. Is that the case for people who wear contacts here? Or is it more of a convenience thing, and they're less "faffy" and don't get in the way as much?

Ex Hellraiser
I've always thought that people who chose to wear contacts did it because they didn't like the look of glasses. They were self-conscious about wearing glasses, and maybe didn't like the way they looked when they wore them. Is that the case for people who wear contacts here? Or is it more of a convenience thing, and they're less "faffy" and don't get in the way as much?

Well, it's kinda both for me. I know I look much better without glasses, but it also seems like my glasses just get in the way a lot lately. Maybe contacts would be more convenient when I get used to them. Thats why I'm considering them.

I´m wearing glasses now for many many years, about 15 years I think. But I tried soft contacts (for monthly use) during this time as well. They are obviously more comfy, I loved them for a short time.

After wearing glasses for many years it was amazing not to. I sometimes thought I have forgotten my glasses or wanted to put them down but then noticed they are not present anymore.

But maybe I was paying not enough attention to the cleaning of them and this stuff, or it was just misfortune. So my left eye got badly infected due to corneal wound caused by the contacts and I stayed in hospital for two weeks.

The doctor said I was very lucky that my eye recovered. He also said it was close to edge to remove the whole eye cause the bacteria was going deep into the eyeball. I looked like a zombie, with a bloody red eye.

So after two weeks of daily infusions and injections directly into the eyeball I went home. Now it doesn´t make a differnece if I were glasses or not on the left eye.

The corneal is broken, only a transplantation could help now but it isn´t that bad. The broken left eye is compensated by the good right eye and with glasses I can sse just normal with both eyes.

With the left eye I cannot see anything sharp now (like water in the eye), even with glasses I can´t see something sharp.

Long story short: Contacts obviously does have pros, mostly the comfort, but it seems to be very important to handle them very very careful! They can damage the corneal badly (e.g. dry air is very bad for contacts users).

Finally I am just lucky that my eye managed to recover, even the doc was surprised. I´ll never forget a quote from the doc: "Look, if you would have come to hospital the next days, your eye would have been lost".

Seems to be some kind of strong bacteria which moved thru the tiny corneal wound into the eyeball and infected it as a whole.

If somebody is not depending on putting the glasses down, then I would not recommend using contacts due to my own experience (there´s a slight potential of ruining your eye). That has to be mentioned. Be careful with your eyes!

I personally think glasses are kind of sexy. Especially on women. It look cute.

Edited by NaidRaida

i got contacts last year. theyre fantastic other than u having to take them out before you go to sleep.

I don't wear glasses or contacts, but the other-half does.

Girish mentioned it, if you're forgetful, be wary of starting to wear contacts, its easy to forget that you are wearing them.

I'd personally chose to keep glasses, if I had troubles seeing, like Robinski the whole putting the lens on your eye ball, is'nt something I could ever get used to, I can't even watch my girlfriend do it smile.gif

Also I'm sure the technology is much improved now , but be wary of corrective eye surgery, I once volunteered with blind people, and at least one of them had this type of surgery go wrong, and lost his sight in both eyes, that really saddened me.

7cg1vNw.png

Contacts are so awesome because when you look down or to the sides, you're actually not blind. I have to wear my glasses right next to my eye to get that effect. It's a great feeling having almost 'natural' eyesight. If you forget you have foreign objects made of oil suctioned to your eyes, maybe you should not forget that you have foreign objects in your eyes.

Yq5y51Y.png

I'm near sighted as well as you lot. Astigmatism. Got my first glasses when I was 8 or so, and since then, I've been either breaking or losing them on a monthly basis, being the wild child I am.

They annoy me, and my nose hurts after a period of sporting them. I chose to ditch the concept of vision enhancement, which means I don't wear glasses at all. Yeah, my eyes hurt sometimes, but it's a price I'm willing to pay simply to avoid the inconvenience.

Contacts? I always found them interesting, but inconvenient also. I mean, they're small and need daily cleaning. Tap water works only if you want your eyes to get enflamed or septic, therefore, I never took a chance with them.

Hoping to get a laser eye surgery as soon as I can cough up the money for it. Until then, I'll buy a pair of those sh*t Urkel/hipster everyone seems to dig nowadays. I hate the look of them, but they're the cheapest and will be for home use only, so f*ck it.

Performance over aesthetics, I say.

You are an aperture through which the universe is looking at and exploring itself.

It is a shame that this surgeries are not paid by the health insurance, it´s a simple surgery in fact. If the eyes are not health then whatelse? This couldn´t be considered as cosmetic issue. angry.gif

It is a shame that this surgeries are not paid by the health insurance. If the eyes are not health then whatelse? angry.gif

Glasses, bitch. Make do. Cosmetic surgery (unless it has a health benefit) isn't free.

The other half wears both. Contacts when going out or those days when glasses just don't suit the clothes but they tend to hurt like a bitch after a while apparently. One dayers anyway. She says glasses are more comfortable. I don't need either.

I got one bad eye, can hardly see with it, so I'm getting a monocle.

You should get two monocles.

@Mark

What you mean? I´m talking about eye lasering, it can prevent using glasses or contacts. Using glasses is a defect, it´s not a cosmetic problem. Therefore the insurances should have to pay for this kind of surgery you know.

If your forgetful then won't you forget to take them out? I wear contacts and I forget I'm even wearing them sometimes.

I've never used contact lenses, I wear glasses when I need them(short-sighted so pretty much when I want to look up the teletext). I'd be far too paranoid to wear contact lenses. I'd be afraid of them falling out and braking or not being able to find them. Also as NaidRaida said if you're not too careful you could end up damaging your eye.

However they do have their benefits I guess. Experiment with them for a day or two and see if you like them.

I personally don't wear glasses/contacts (need glasses but lost em in england)

I know some people with contacts, I heard some downsides..if you're forgetful and you don't take them out when you go to bed you end up with red eyes (oh yes, the I-smoked-a-sh*tload-of-weed kind of red eyes)

+ once in the swimming pool a woman lost one of her contacts...and of course you won't find that back confused.gif

glasses have their pros and cons but in general i'd consider those safer...

Los Santos Pedestrian

I've worn glasses since I was 7. I wear them a lot, but there's an indent in my nose and tan lines on the side of my face from wearing them so long confused.gif

I personally would wear glasses over contacts though because I would forget about them a lot.

As a vote, I've worn glasses over 55 years. I don't like the feel of contacts. I much prefer the annoyance of the standard glasses on hot sweaty days when they slip, and on those cold days when they fog up. And during sports when they are knocked off 'by accident'.

All considered I prefer the glasses.

Glasses= Most guys look geeky. Most girls look better.

Contacts= Hard to put in, hard to get use to. Ive got contacts though..

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

I wear glasses. I don't want contacts. Seems like a lot of trouble to feel better about your self image.

I'm near sighted as well as you lot. Astigmatism. Got my first glasses when I was 8 or so, and since then, I've been either breaking or losing them on a monthly basis, being the wild child I am.

They annoy me, and my nose hurts after a period of sporting them. I chose to ditch the concept of vision enhancement, which means I don't wear glasses at all. Yeah, my eyes hurt sometimes, but it's a price I'm willing to pay simply to avoid the inconvenience.

Contacts? I always found them interesting, but inconvenient also. I mean, they're small and need daily cleaning. Tap water works only if you want your eyes to get enflamed or septic, therefore, I never took a chance with them.

Hoping to get a laser eye surgery as soon as I can cough up the money for it. Until then, I'll buy a pair of those sh*t Urkel/hipster everyone seems to dig nowadays. I hate the look of them, but they're the cheapest and will be for home use only, so f*ck it.

Performance over aesthetics, I say.

Same here. I'm supposed to wear glasses but they're really uncomfortable. I may have to give in sometime soon though as I'm having trouble reading my paperwork.

@NaidRaida: It's all about who makes the most money. In this case, whoever doles out the free surgery would lose out massively. I have to pay for a replacement hearing aid. This means that until I can cough up £300 I don't get to hear fully. Fair enough, I shouldn't of lost it in the first place but it's not like it was intentional. As people have said with contacts, you forget about it.

Dudesig.png

Hmmm nice bike

I've been wearing glasses for about 5 years now. I don't find them uncomfortable, but I guess I'm just used to them (mainly the kind with plastic rims, I can't say I like wire-frames too much). I can't go anywhere without them, though, since I'm horribly nearsighted and practically blind without them. As for contact lenses, I considered them a long time ago, but I never liked the fact that I had to stick something into my eye (you could say I could just get used to it like I got used to wearing glasses all the time, but to me, contacts are in a whole different ballpark). I suppose there's ups and downs to both, depending on your personal preferences.

As a vote, I've worn glasses over 55 years.

Wait a sec... you're not like 65, are you?

I crossed over to contacts about 3 years ago but later on that year in Bali, I rubbed my eyes with some water from the tap and since then, my eyes get red and inflamed after wearing them for too long. I really loved my contacts and couldn't care less about the extra hassle, they provided more benefits than f*cking glasses do.

Major c*nt of a thing really. Never been to Bali since.

Just a side comment:

No one has ever gotten an eye infection from dirty glasses as opposed to contacts being worn one time too many without cleaning.

I like to gloat. I'm in my mid 40s and I still have perfect 20/20 vision - even after years of staring into a computer monitor.

My wife, on the other hand, has always had corrected vision. She loves those disposable contacts and has never had an issue. Contacts are fine if you take proper care I guess.

Oh, and if you get contacts it's not like you are stuck with just contacts. You can always not wear them and slap on your glasses.

I wore glasses for 3 days, broke them, then got contacts which I wore for 3 years. At that point I got laser eye surgery. I could not recommend iit enough. Genuinely life changing. Even today, 4 years down the line I'm still amazed by how clear my vision is. I understand its a pricey option and not for everyone.

Only other advice I could give is make sure you take contacts out at night if you get them, otherwise the mornings are literally painful with dryness. Or get day only ones. Also there not good in

the dust, but then, nor are glasses.

Oh and 20/20 is 6/6 vision. Meaning 6/4 is the best eyesight possible, not 20/20.

- [- No Fear. No Limits. No Equal. -] -

- [- Ride For Life -] -

Digging deep. It's not just an expression that's thrown around the locker room at halftime. It's a way of life. A daily code that drives a champions existence. It's not always glamorous. It's not always blue skies and sunny days, and its certainly not always welcome. But love it or hate it, to become a true champion take pure, unrestricted commitment.