Today is the first day of Chinese New Year!

ZZX_2S

Last night all the Chinese people in the carnival. Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macao compatriots, as in the carnival. Chinese people around the world are in the carnival! Today is the first day of Chinese New Year! Happy New Year! If you set off firecrackers in China's neighbors, do not be surprised, that is their way of celebrating. Willing people around the world in the new year to learn and progress! Smooth! (No responsibility of Google translation)

I have a question for those who are knowledgeable in Chinese New Year. I was born in 1989 which was the year of the snake...however I was born on January 12th, before the official start of The Year of the Snake. So that means I was born in the previous year which was the year of the dragon...right?

Plenty of potential Dovahkiins this year.

Right? RIGHT?!

中國新年快樂鄉親!

Edited by mrpain

I have a question for those who are knowledgeable in Chinese New Year. I was born in 1989 which was the year of the snake...however I was born on January 12th, before the official start of The Year of the Snake. So that means I was born in the previous year which was the year of the dragon...right?

Not. You were born in the Year of the Snake. We calculated in accordance with the Gregorian calendar Lunar New Year. (No responsibility of Google translation)

Not. You were born in the Year of the Snake. We calculated in accordance with the Gregorian calendar Lunar New Year. (No responsibility of Google translation)

So may I ask why Chinese New Year is celebrated a few weeks into January then? I could Wiki this but I like the personal touch. (that was not intended to sound gay)

In the Chinese zodiac I'm a Rooster myself.

The Year of the Dragon sounds cool for sure.

Happy Year of The Dragon!

QUOTE (ZZX_2S @ Tuesday, Jan 24 2012, 05:29)

QUOTE (Pandazoot @ Monday, Jan 23 2012, 12:21)

So may I ask why Chinese New Year is celebrated a few weeks into January then? I could Wiki this but I like the personal touch. (that was not intended to sound gay)

In Chinese lunar calendar, new year is a couple weeks behind The gregorian. That is because a lunar month is 1-2 days shorter. The lunar new year came actually very early this time, while usually it is in early February. As a mandarin this is quite enjoyable because we get to celebrate new year twice:)

My cousin is being born this year and I'm gonna call him Dovahkiin. For sure.

tumblr_mk683ddOTs1rkv9cvo1_250.gif

I ate some delicious bibimbap with some friends in celebration of the lunar new year (celebrated by Koreans as well). mmMMMmMMMmmMmmM

4XEtraA.jpg

I was born in the year of the monkey, kinda average. It's not up there with the coveted tiger or dragon, but at least I'm not a rat or a pig. I quite like on wikipedia all the supposed qualities and traits of a dog according to the chinese zodiac:

Honest, intelligent, straightforward, loyal, sense of justice and fair play, attractive, amicable, unpretentious, sociable, open-minded, idealistic, moralistic, practical, affectionate, sensitive, easy going. Can be cynical, lazy, cold, judgmental, pessimistic, worrier, stubborn, quarrelsome.

Although they clearly forgot to add "delicious".

f*ck, I'm a horsey. I don't get to claim to be dragonborn.

You're lucky, I'm a rat. confused.gif

Still at least it's not as bad as my ma, she's a pig. biggrin.gif

Hey, beeing a rat is not that bad. Remember this: The very first found mammal was a mouse or rat like animal, they survived the dinosaurs and are the base of all later mammals. Rats ruled the world. lol.gif

f*ck, I'm a horsey. I don't get to claim to be dragonborn.

I'm the goddamn year of the pig. Pigborn. What's the dragon word for pig? Ah f*ck it, I'm Pigkiin. That's so badass. Pigkiin Pigkiin Pigkiin.

Those born in the year of the cat shall be named Kazkiin. That's the actual word anyway.