Anyone have the Galaxy s II

Finn 7 five 11

Finn 7 five 11

A while back i was looking at the iphone 4s, i am a fan of samsung, they make great products tounge.gif, and i have always had the Galaxy S II in mind as well (an it turns out to be $300 cheaper, and expandable memory is always a plus).

Before i wanted the iphone not just as a phone, but to double as a music player since it has itunes backing it, this was BEFORE i found that some time ago Apple had removed their three device limit on itunes music.

I have looked on youtube and such, and i if i get the chance i will duck down to the telstra shop to play around with the S II some more

Couple questions for those who own or have experienced the S II.

1. Is the music player just as functional and convenient as the Apple ipod/iphone/ipad version? I do know Samsung have something somewhat similar to the ipod.

I currently have a Sony Ericsson and a few things with the music player piss me off, for example, when i go to an artist, then a song, and press back it takes me to the very first artist i have in the artist list, which means i have to scroll all the way back up again to choose the artist.

2. VERY IMPORTANT, Is the soundcard on the phone good? I am an audiophile, and i have headphones to match, i want the sound to be top notch, On my ericsson sound is very quiet and bass does not exist.

I am NOT spending $600 on a phone only to be ripped off by the soundcard, and i am most certainly not carrying around a Headphone amp which will cost an extra $70, not to mention the inconvenience of having a phone sized lump hanging from my cable, especially when i am excercising.

EDIT: Bad news - http://www.anandtech.com/show/4686/samsung...st-redefined/13

Still personal experience would be great, some reviewers are ridiculously picky, if possible listen to the audio example demonstrating the hiss and GSM/Edge interruption and tell me if this happens to you.

slamman please don't post here as i know for sure you do not have one and there is no possible way you can help, if you have a problem with this send me a PM please.

Edited by finn4life

I have a Galaxy S2 through Sprint, marketed as the Epic 4G Touch. I love it. I can't think of any other phone on the market that bests it. Sure, it may not have the most HD screen or no ICS, but the f*cker is fast...at everything. The screen is amazing, the camera is one of, if not the best, cameras out there, and it got a great battery life. The phone has a Yahama sound but the sspeaker kinda blows. If you are using headphones, its great.

Easily my least regretful buy of the year.

fbiidcopyvo4.png

Finn 7 five 11

That is very encouraging, more opinions would be great.

I have been investigating plans/ outright.

Now there is only 1 decent company i can go with here in Australia for plans, it is the fastest, biggest and best with the most coverage, telstra, optus is its main rival and is also great, except they are only of use when it comes to prepaid since for some stupid reason they will not accept my credit, which is a shame since over the course of two years they are $240 cheaper for a plan ($49 a month vs $59)

I am leaning towards a plan now since talking to the representative of telstra, after 1 year, if a new phone came out for $180 i can pay off the old handset and extend the current by a year and get a new phone, that is very appealing since the problem with contracts is after two years your phone can end up pretty dated.

Total payments of plan is $1416 (without excess charges and sh*t). $500 calls, 1.5GB data, unlimited texting.

Outright $588 +$30 credit a month = $1308 only $300 calls, 500MB data (Which with a smart phone is not much) and unlimited texting.

With a plan i get more data and its faster (because its telstra) so plans the way to go i guess.

Sorry i rambled there, big time.

Something to think about with 4G phones.

I don't know about with other countries but in the USA if you have a 4G phone you pay extra for that service. Worse yet you have to pay it even if you live in an area with little or no 4G service, and 4G service isn't nearly as wide spread as 3G service.

So you might want to look into that for where you are to see what the service fees and conditions are there.

off topic:

LMAO at your last line. Thanks, I needed that.

With a smartphone a plan is pretty much a no brainer, you get a lot more mileage out of it and don't have to worry as much about running out of quota) of course you just have to make sure you don't go wildly over your bill).

Even if the stock sound player isn't good (I can't comment due to not having my SGS II yet) you could always download one of the many alternative music players from the Android Market to suit your needs. There's probably an iPod knockoff one somewhere if you wanted to go down that path.

user posted image

He's not asking about the music player software, he's asking about the phones hardware.

I don't know about with other countries but in the USA if you have a 4G phone you pay extra for that service. Worse yet you have to pay it even if you live in an area with little or no 4G service, and 4G service isn't nearly as wide spread as 3G service.

So you might want to look into that for where you are to see what the service fees and conditions are there.

off topic:

Quite sure that's only on sprint. They charge an extra $10 to have data for a smartphone, and another $10 if it's 4G. I know for a fact VZW doesn't charge more and I don't think AT&T or T-Mobile does but I'm not positive on those two.

Also, VZW 4G LTE has been out for over a year and covers well over half the US population now. Sounds like you might need to brush up on your cell derive knowledge.

1xHtopY.png

Finn 7 five 11

off topic:

Quite sure that's only on sprint. They charge an extra $10 to have data for a smartphone, and another $10 if it's 4G. I know for a fact VZW doesn't charge more and I don't think AT&T or T-Mobile does but I'm not positive on those two.

Also, VZW 4G LTE has been out for over a year and covers well over half the US population now. Sounds like you might need to brush up on your cell derive knowledge.

There are no 4G phones in Australia, and only telstra has sort of decent 4G here which is just being rolled out, but is only for very select CBD areas (and some unknown company in sydney, which is using wimax i think)

He's not asking about the music player software, he's asking about the phones hardware.

Isn't he asking about both? His first question seems to be about the player and the second seems to be about the hardware.

user posted image

Finn 7 five 11

Isn't he asking about both? His first question seems to be about the player and the second seems to be about the hardware.

I was askign about both, but uh i was talking about the standard player.

You're right, Verizon has had "4G" LTE (there is a difference actually but that's neither here nor there) for longer than most cell companies. However they still charge you extra if you buy a 4G phone. And the coverage areas of their LTE service is not nearly as wide spread as their 3G service area. Same goes for Sprint and AT&T as far as the 2 different coverage zones. My point was this; if you live or work (spend most of your time) in an area that does not get 4G coverage at all then what is the point of getting a phone that you'll be forced to pay extra for a service you can't even use.

You might as well own a car that you can't drive because it's up on blocks or has no motor and yet you pay for insurance on it just in case one day for a few hours you get tires/motor and can drive it only to have it back up on blocks again.

AT&T and T-Mobile do also have LTE. I do find it interesting that Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon the only 3 of the 4 that would let you drill down the coverage maps down to street level to see where it's really covered. If it's possible to do the same on AT&T's website I haven't figured it out. However what annoys the hell out of me about all 4 sites is that they use a gradient color scheme to show the different areas of coverage, so it's hard to tell at times is that really 4G coverage or is it just 3G or EDGE.

The coverage in the USA is a lot better for LTE than it was just a year ago where there was giant holes even in major cities that were said to have LTE at all.

@finn

I would still check with your carrier about the phone's LTE/4G/whatever coverage area and price plans and extra charges before hand.

Also to the music player. Granted I'm not a big audiophile as you might be; I can usually tell the difference between a 128k and a 192k MP3 but between a 320k MP3 and FLAC not too much. That being said I've never heard much of any kind of difference between playing a file on say WMP, VLC, KMPlayer, WinAmp or iTunes and that is with their default settings. I have however be able to tell the difference when I ran a crappy VIA onboard audio chipset and a SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 PCI card on the same system with the same OS. I can also tell the difference when I listen to music on my iPhone between the Apple in-ear buds, the standard Apple ear buds and a Motorla bluetooth stereo head set. I don't think there is any difference between my iPhone 3GS and 4S when using any one of the 3 headphones.

I also haven't bothered to look for any other music player for the iPhone, if there is one without jailbreaking I have a feeling it's more of just a different way to manage the music and yet still plays through the iOS player. There are a number of games and other apps that I do have on my iPhone that let me play my music while using the app but I know they just use the build in player.

Now of course I'm not saying that Android is the same way since I've never used one and don't know anyone that has one that I can play around, however I do think that the software would have little to do with how the sound comes out of through the hardware that is driving the audio....if that made any sense.

@Blackadder.

Yes but the first was how well it functions not how it sounds.

Sorry when I first read your reply it seemed like you were talking about how well it'll sound. My bad.

Edited by Wolf68k

I guess it's just Sprint, of the major 4 anyway and in the USA, that charges extra. At least from what I can tell. However that's not to say other carriers don't.

Finn 7 five 11

Now of course I'm not saying that Android is the same way since I've never used one and don't know anyone that has one that I can play around, however I do think that the software would have little to do with how the sound comes out of through the hardware that is driving the audio....if that made any sense.

Perfect sense, software can't really fix hardware, it can kind of help, but sh*t hardware is sh*t hardware no two ways about it.

I might take my headphones to the store and ask if i can listen to the demo music supplied on the phone and see if its a big deal, small imperfections i can put up with, total lack of volume and bass i cannot.

I did spend a decent amount on my headphones and will be spending on the phone so it is quite important for quality sound, i could get a music player separate, but i would rather not.

Anandtech says hiss is noticeable with low impedance and isolating/cancelling headphones, now my headphones are 103 Ohms, would you call that low impedance? In comparison with 300ohm headphone like the seinheisser 600's, and earbuds which are at like 16ohms or something, mine must be midrange.

Interesting, the galaxy S II has a built in headphone amp, which i guess kinda compensates for the terrible sound card, but again i will try it for myself tomorrow morning.

Anandtech review http://www.anandtech.com/show/4686/samsung...st-redefined/13

Played on the Galaxy S II 10 minutes ago at the store, took my headphones and tried the preset music on there, i should have tried youtube, but whatever, sounded great, i couldn't fault it.

Edited by finn4life

• 2 weeks later...
Finn 7 five 11

Posting from my Sgs2 now 64 a month, loving it, havent tried my music yet but loving the phone!!!!!

Edit: sound quality is good.

Sorry for the double I think is justified.

Edited by finn4life

Lol, you are aware I work for VZW right? I'm quite sure I know that VZW does not charge extra for 4G service. 4G phones themselves may cost more, but not entirely. And of course 4G isn't everywhere 3G is. As you know, the US is gigantic. Within a year VZW brought 4G to over 200 million citizens. Just over half the US population. By the end of next year, everywhere there's VZW 3G will be VZW LTE as well. It's something that was said from the beginning, December 5th 2010, and we're actually ahead of schedule and still on track to fulfill that commitment.

And Sprint doesn't actually charge $10 monthly for having 4G service, they charge for having a 4G device. A fancy explanation on their behalf for helping support their failed plans on improving their network.

As for AT&T and T-Mo, as mentioned they both have been dedicated to 3.5G, just beefing up speeds on their current network. In some areas it can be amazing, and I don't know if they charge more. But AT&T has also realized LTE is the way to go and I think has launched 8 LTE areas... and maybe 1 LTE phone? Well behind schedule. And with their dropping of their bid to purchase T-Mo, they're out something like 1 billion dollars and tons of network which is going to T-Mo. So win-win for T-Mo, they get new roaming towers to broaden their service, and AT&T's network gets less reliable as T-Mo's users will be soaking up the signals.

So at this point in the wireless industry, Sprint is holding on by a thread, practically giving away money to keep customers. AT&T is behind the game with T-Mo and Sprint on updating their networks and lost a good sum of money. And T-Mo... well, they are surprisingly doing the best of the 3, in a long term outlook at least. I'll just say that at this point, VZW is by far the premium cell service with no BS, and is ahead of the game by a full year and still pulling strong. If I had to pick out of the top 4 to work for, it'd still be VZW for sure.

Edited by Pico
1xHtopY.png

I use every bit of my networks bandwidth...and the VZW data plans wouldnt cut it. Last month i used 12 gigs with my wife using 4 gigs totaling over 16. Can't do that on VZW.

TBH, I am holding out with sprint for their LTE network. Its up in Atlanta and doing wonderfully. Being on an 800MHz bandwidth leaves it open for some major speed...VZW trouncing speed. The one thing keeping Sprint in the game is theor unlimited everything plan. I dont see them ditching that any time soon.

fbiidcopyvo4.png

I use every bit of my networks bandwidth...and the VZW data plans wouldnt cut it. Last month i used 12 gigs with my wife using 4 gigs totaling over 16. Can't do that on VZW.

TBH, I am holding out with sprint for their LTE network. Its up in Atlanta and doing wonderfully. Being on an 800MHz bandwidth leaves it open for some major speed...VZW trouncing speed. The one thing keeping Sprint in the game is theor unlimited everything plan. I dont see them ditching that any time soon.

Now you can't, but most people still have unlimited data and they can. Combined I think my account averages 20GB between 5 lines. One month I used over 30 on just my line.

1xHtopY.png

Now you can't, but most people still have unlimited data and they can. Combined I think my account averages 20GB between 5 lines. One month I used over 30 on just my line.

Yeah...you use to be able to, but now you can't. Seeing as I am not an existing customer and I can't be grandfathered in, where is the argument. Sure, they uave first dibs on the newest phones out but what good does that do me, or any other customer who only needs or can use one phone, when my nice new shiny phone cant download/stream the data I want it to without it going over some cap rate. sh*t network/4G or not, I pull a ton of bandwidth between tethering, browsing, and netflix that I need a 10gb-unlimited plan.

What really gets me is that we are devloping these new and true 4g networks that can handle 100mbps to 1gbps but we have theze plans that restrict use. Thats like buying the most brand new, most powerful, and best performing car and being told you cant drive it on weekends and between the hours of 10pm and 8am and if you go over 50mph, you will incure charges that may already double your monthly payment. Thats bullsh*t.

fbiidcopyvo4.png

What really gets me is that we are devloping these new and true 4g networks that can handle 100mbps to 1gbps but we have theze plans that restrict use. Thats like buying the most brand new, most powerful, and best performing car and being told you cant drive it on weekends and between the hours of 10pm and 8am and if you go over 50mph, you will incure charges that may already double your monthly payment. Thats bullsh*t.

That's why I waited out for Sprint to get the iPhone tounge.gif

It's a shame that companies aren't offering unlimited data anymore. I remember an old graph that showed the actual usage of 3G by user, and how many had an Unlimited plan. The people with Unlimited barely or rarely went over the 3 GB data mark, it showed that Unlimited was "a scam" and that most users didn't need it. But now with all this cloud, iTunes Match, streaming sh*t, you'd think companies would be more inclined to bring back Unlimited Data.

Finn 7 five 11

That's why I waited out for Sprint to get the iPhone tounge.gif

It's a shame that companies aren't offering unlimited data anymore. I remember an old graph that showed the actual usage of 3G by user, and how many had an Unlimited plan. The people with Unlimited barely or rarely went over the 3 GB data mark, it showed that Unlimited was "a scam" and that most users didn't need it. But now with all this cloud, iTunes Match, streaming sh*t, you'd think companies would be more inclined to bring back Unlimited Data.

You guys are all whining, 59 a month for me gives me a measly 1.5Gbfor over a hundred a month unlimited is available (i think)