What Would Disappoint you the Most in GTA 5?

Crakbone335

2. An unlikable protagonist. Rockstar Games has given us protagonists such as Max Payne, Cole Phelps, John Marston, Tommy Vercetti, Carl Johnson, Claude, Toni Ciprani, Vic Vance, Niko Bellic, Johnny Klebitz, and Luis Lopez. You should all know what I think of Max by now. John Marston, Niko Bellic, and Cole Phelps all had back stories that were slowly revealed over the campaign. I really like this approach; however, they can't turn him into an unlikable person. I came to hate Phelps when he committed adultery. I'd like a more conflicted character like them because it makes it interesting to see what happened. I similarly liked Vic Vance for the same reason. I just wished they would've fleshed him out a little more at the beginning of the game. The less said about Luis, the better. All he did was bitch about spending two years behind bars for selling drugs...then he would go out and do said thing. That said, I wouldn't necessary object to a merciless killer such as Tommy and Claude. CJ was well written at the beginning but as the story went on, I became less careless about what happened. They should have made him more conflicted/caring over what happened to Sweet after he got locked up. It's only mentioned two or three times after it happens. I don't think that was enough; it didn't leave enough of an impact...same thing goes for the betrayal of Big Smoke and Ryder. In the end, as long as he is well written and we like him, that should all be good.

Isn't an unlikable protagonist a good thing though? The main characters, whether or not we play as them, should have some sort of impact on us. If you hated Cole, then Bondi did a good thing in terms of storytelling, no? That's how I feel about stories. If you get to the point where you either love or hate a character, then the writers have done their job. On the other hand, if you don't give a sh*t about any of the characters, then there's a problem.

Characters I never cared about:

- Tommy Vercetti

- Claude

- Toni Cipriani

- Luis

All three characters were pretty shallow, and simply "guns for hire". Despite being a DLC, Luis Lopez should have gotten more back story, especially with Armando and Henrique. Vic, Niko, and Carl were awesome characters, but my favourite would have to be Johnny and just the L&D DLC in general.

That's what I mean. By the end of the L.A. Noire, I really didn't give a sh*t what happened to Cole. As you said, Luis should've definitely gotten more backstory. As it is now, he's just a shallow character, and I really don't care what happens to him. Out of those three you listed, Claude was the least developed, but I'll take into account that he doesn't have a voice actor. Tommy has a backstory about getting betrayed, etc. and I wanted to see what happened. As I said earlier, I wanted to see what happened to Carl but as the story got more rediculous, I slowly stopped caring. Toni was a decent (not great, decent) protagonist for the simple fact that he stayed loyal to Sal no matter what happened.

For the simple fact, I didn't hate them at the ending. It'll make repeated playthroughs that less interesting. I'm replaying L.A. Noire's story and I just really don't care about Phelps. It really hampers the experience because they turned him into a douchebag at the end of the game.

What would disappoint me the most in Grand Theft Auto V?

1. Weak, half-assed storytelling akin to San Andreas. It started off well but the first act consisted of a dark story of a gangster trying to get revenge for the death of his mom. Subsequent acts had you working with the government, stealing goo off of military trains, stealing jet packs from Area 69 (Area 51), and hijacking fighter jets off of aircraft harriers. If they're going to go over-the-top, don't set the story up to be dark. Vice City set the story up to be a story of 80's excess and violence, and it succeeded in every regard.

2. An unlikable protagonist. Rockstar Games has given us protagonists such as Max Payne, Cole Phelps, John Marston, Tommy Vercetti, Carl Johnson, Claude, Toni Ciprani, Vic Vance, Niko Bellic, Johnny Klebitz, and Luis Lopez. You should all know what I think of Max by now. John Marston, Niko Bellic, and Cole Phelps all had back stories that were slowly revealed over the campaign. I really like this approach; however, they can't turn him into an unlikable person. I came to hate Phelps when he committed adultery. I'd like a more conflicted character like them because it makes it interesting to see what happened. I similarly liked Vic Vance for the same reason. I just wished they would've fleshed him out a little more at the beginning of the game. The less said about Luis, the better. All he did was bitch about spending two years behind bars for selling drugs...then he would go out and do said thing. That said, I wouldn't necessary object to a merciless killer such as Tommy and Claude. CJ was well written at the beginning but as the story went on, I became less careless about what happened. They should have made him more conflicted/caring over what happened to Sweet after he got locked up. It's only mentioned two or three times after it happens. I don't think that was enough; it didn't leave enough of an impact...same thing goes for the betrayal of Big Smoke and Ryder. In the end, as long as he is well written and we like him, that should all be good.

Spoilers for L.A. Noire After getting into the story of L.A. Noire, I realized Cole Phelps was a huge doucher. He cheated on his wife and ordered innocent people to be killed in Japan! Sure it made the story interesting, but it sucked balls playing as Cole. So yeah, I completely agree with you on how an unlikable protag ruins the game. Hopefully R* makes the protag in V likable likw Tommy Vercetti or John Marston.

I don't think that was actually his fault for what happened in Japan. He was trying to do it by-the-numbers and something wrong ended up happening. I think that by becoming a detective, he was trying to right it. It's a classic film-noir setup used in a lot of those types of films. However, when he commited adultery, that was the point of no return. I honestly would've liked it more if the Vice cops would've set him up. I'm glad someone else agrees with me that he became extremely unlikable towards the end.

I don't think that was actually his fault for what happened in Japan. He was trying to do it by-the-numbers and something wrong ended up happening. I think that by becoming a detective, he was trying to right it. It's a classic film-noir setup used in a lot of those types of films. However, when he commited adultery, that was the point of no return. I honestly would've liked it more if the Vice cops would've set him up. I'm glad someone else agrees with me that he became extremely unlikable towards the end.

Yeah, I have no clue why Team Bondi did that with the story. I was pissed when he walked into that chick's door. And yeah, it would have been more interesting if the corrupt cops set him up or something. The story was set up pretty dumb.

tenpennyisplainevil
No cheetah, It was so disappointing to see that go. I'm not a fan of the Infernus.

I'll be mad if you can't pee and sh*t in the toilet

lol wut.

The Turismo and Cheetah were in SA. So it was just taken out, and I want it back. But hey, maybe it's that Audi R8

I don't want it to be cartoonish

I be disappointed if there is not much to do outside story missions

The map needs to be at least 2x as big as any previous GTA game too

How about 2 large cities each roughly the same size as Liberty City with rural/countryside area in between and surrounding that is as large as both cities combined biggrin.gif

And lots of little towns dotted about too biggrin.gif

I don't want CJ to return, but I want Grove Street to return geographically. I hope that GSF dissolved back into crack dealers and... well... corpses.

Like miamvicecity said, if it starts out serious then ends up cartoonish, I'll be pissed.

I will also be disappointed if the damned Protagonist dies.

Speaking of vehicles, I do think it would be slightly disappointing to not see the Kuruma from GTA III return. Hasn't been in since LCS if I recall correctly. Of course we know it wasn't in VC, VCS or any other games that followed.

caprisig.jpg

- if your social status stays the same or similar throughout the game, would be nice to go from powerless to powerful in some way.

- if you can't buy a farm/ logging company/ small mine/ out in the sticks.

- if you can't take a dirtbike up in the mountains and camp with your significant other.

- if the romantic scenes with significant others are self-censored by R* when most other games have matured and Australia has legislated a R18+ rating.

- if money is meaningless like in GTA 4 & SA...kinda makes all activities pointless....selling 'icecreams' in Vice City was bearable only because it had to be done to get ahead in the story.

Lock n' Stock

I'd be dissapointed if they didn't bring the Rhino back, or if they brought the friends system from GTA IV back.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate it, but it seemed like a pretty worthless feature. Taking your friends out to EAT? Bowling and Darts were pretty fun, but other activities like Eating were completely pointless. You'd just walk into the marker next to the restaurant and then suddenly come out then take your friend home. Meh. I can't imagine how anyone thought that would be good as a standalone activity, or that anyone would enjoy it.

The multiplayer, fortunately it´s just an option, and i´m probably never gonna play it. icon14.gif

My name is Kunta Kinte 9000, and you can Kunta-kiss my ass!

I also found it disappointing that Phelps became such a douche, though it wasn't the adultery that did it for me. Like it or not, it's what some men do. What annoyed me was that after committing adultery and getting with the German broad, he goes on to endanger her life and Kelso's life, then has the audacity to become jealous when his mistress meets with Kelso to discuss a situation that was Phelps' responsibility. I felt so cheated having invested myself in Phelps, then finishing the game with Kelso. At least John Marston handled his own business and didn't leave Jack to kill Dutch. I know Jack kills Ross, but it was a stranger mission and I personally liked avenging John as his son; it was such a gripping experience. Not so with Noire.

I also found it disappointing that Phelps became such a douche, though it wasn't the adultery that did it for me. Like it or not, it's what some men do. What annoyed me was that after committing adultery and getting with the German broad, he goes on to endanger her life and Kelso's life, then has the audacity to become jealous when his mistress meets with Kelso to discuss a situation that was Phelps' responsibility. I felt so cheated having invested myself in Phelps, then finishing the game with Kelso. At least John Marston handled his own business and didn't leave Jack to kill Dutch. I know Jack kills Ross, but it was a stranger mission and I personally liked avenging John as his son; it was such a gripping experience. Not so with Noire.

I agree with both of you. The adultery totally made him a douche-bag in my eyes. He definatley isn't what you'd call a "well rounded" character.

G1T

grope_4_that_date

I've been really focused on the Wanted Level System. I've been imagining/thinking about my ideas so much I'm starting feel they're real. So, I hope when the game comes out, the first wanted level will be somewhat similar to what I've suggested. Otherwise, I will be disappointing (at first).

But I'll play GTA5 no matter what. I love it too much.

What would disappoint me the most in Grand Theft Auto V?

1. Weak, half-assed storytelling akin to San Andreas. It started off well but the first act consisted of a dark story of a gangster trying to get revenge for the death of his mom. Subsequent acts had you working with the government, stealing goo off of military trains, stealing jet packs from Area 69 (Area 51), and hijacking fighter jets off of aircraft harriers. If they're going to go over-the-top, don't set the story up to be dark. Vice City set the story up to be a story of 80's excess and violence, and it succeeded in every regard.

Nah, you got it wrong about Luis. I only play BoGT not so long ago and he doesn't complain about doing time at all. If anything he's the opposite and if he does 'complain' it's only because he has to take up a contrary position when it comes to his friends wanting to do drug deals. Luis has a chance an going legit and being a normal person and his friends drag him in to dealing drugs again and Tony too but he only does it out of love for Tony as Tony gave him a chance despite his criminal record.

So, anyway, you way over-exaggerated what Luis was like or have the memory of him totally wrong in your head.

I'll be disappointed if GTA V is depressing and too serious. Yes, when S.A. was out I thought it was a little over-the-top and I didn't like gangsta stuff but I kept playing and playing and it all kind of clicked with me. I'm replaying S.A. now and there's a lot of detail, aside from features that I just forgot about that are lacking in titles after it.

I loved IV but I found it too serious and not goal or reward-driven. At least with RPG elements in a game you experience evolution and rewards for the things you do. The prizes for all gold in this or collecting that were great, if you put in the extra time and effort. I'd be very dissapointed if V doesn't have much rewards in the game.

Play the Drug Wars and it seems like either they didn't record enough dialouge for Luis (and it's repeated a lot), or he talks about spending two years in prison for drugs. He is not a well-written character by any means.

Compare friend activities to TLAD and IV. You gain a lot of information about the character's part just by hanging out with their friends. Nothing is revealed in TBOGT...at the end, Luis is just a cardboard cut out character that isn't fleshed out well.

Isn't an unlikable protagonist a good thing though? The main characters, whether or not we play as them, should have some sort of impact on us. If you hated Cole, then Bondi did a good thing in terms of storytelling, no? That's how I feel about stories. If you get to the point where you either love or hate a character, then the writers have done their job. On the other hand, if you don't give a sh*t about any of the characters, then there's a problem.

Yes, if a character doesn't leave an impact on you, then the writers haven't made a good character. However, when it comes to the protagonist, the player should never grow to hate the puppet he controls. When you play the game, the protag is by some means an extension of yourself. You and your actions are the means by which the story is moved forward. Everything your character does in a video game should feel "right". For the character to go completely against what the player would wish just isn't right - especially when it's handled as haphazardly as the adultery in LA Noire was (I mean, Cole sees her in a bar once, has a short conversation with her, and then decides he should strike up a relationship and cheat on his wife? When I first played through the game, I thought it had been a big set-up by Earle, seeing how little screentime the two lovers shared). Don't get me wrong, I liked Noire (I bought all the DLC and it's the only game I've got all the achievements for), but the game had some major flaws, the plot being one of them. At least some inner-monologuing (that's a big thing for film noir, right?) by Phelps to explain his actions, or a look at his home life to see how uncomfortable he was.

But that's gone completely offtopic, so what I'd be disappointed to see in GTA V are those stupid RPG-lite elements from GTA SA, stuff like having to eat and having to work out to keep muscle built. At least when you were "forced" to go bowling, it required some thought input, rather than the mundane processes you had to go through to keep your stats up.

A Guy With A Minigun

AT-400 and if my avatar doesn't return.

Edited by A Guy With A Minigun

Miniguns aren't so mini.

UberChargedCJ

i would not be disspaointed if they add a camel toe to a female ped tounge.gif i want information about camel toe from wikipedia without picture of camel toe

If we didn't have a huge variety of vehicles to travel in like boats, go-karts, bikes, airplanes, and helicopters.

izx6.jpg

My signature says that R* never dissapoints, yet I would only be kinda dissapointed if:

-we get multiple characters

-no car customization

-just one major city

-silly plots or missions (like having to steal some goo (SA) or hitting a guy in the testicles with golf balls to get some info (TBoGT)

-lack of character customization (with this I mean that you can't buy clothes for your character, you just have the ones you get from missions) (III, LCS, VCS)

-no eating for health (all but SA, IV and its DLCs)

-no multiple endings

-your character being a douche (LAN)

-YOUR CHARACTER DYING IN THE END(RDR, LAN, possibly MP3)

Seriously, if the last one happens agin, only then I would get dissapointed and even mad with R*

UberChargedCJ

i wouln't be dissapointed if there was anime in V to i want to see billboards of anime including haruhi suzumiya lucky star etc

i wouln't be dissapointed if there was anime in V to i want to see billboards of anime including haruhi suzumiya lucky star etc

Hmmmm

UberChargedCJ

Hmmmm

Don't you think anime supposted to be in GTA to?

Hmmmm

Don't you think anime supposted to be in GTA to?

Yea man, totally. Why stop ther though? I think they should put those neat tentacle monsters that the Japanese are so fond of in there too

i would not be disspaointed if they add a camel toe to a female ped tounge.gif i want information about camel toe from wikipedia without picture of camel toe

uh...how old are you again? dozingoff.gif

Anyway, I'd be disappointed if:

A) The story is crap (it has to be better than RDR or at least GTA IV's)

B) No car customizing (I'm not expecting MC type customizing, but at leastsomething)

C) No wide variety of vehicles

D) Limited outdoor (countryside/desert) space

E) Can't climb that big mountain in the trailer