Empire Building!

GTA-King

With money comes power, so once we obtain this power I don't think it would make sense for the protagonist to be somebody's bitch anymore. Sure he can help people out, but I don't think he would want to take orders anymore at that point. He would want to give them instead.

Once you get to this stage, I think it would be cool to do more stuff that benefits you instead of your employers. This could be the "bold new direction" Rockstar is talking about.

kSTG7.png

[O]tter[ba]nned Oct 8, 2013, for 91 days.

tenpennyisplainevil
I like that idea alot! It would offer a unique online experience. That also gives me another idea. You know how in RDR's free roam you can take over territories? Well, wouldn't it be cool if in GTA V's free roam you could take over businesses? I don't remember the benefits of earning territory in RDR, but if they have a ranking system similar to it, perhaps the businesses could earn you XP daily? Of course other people will try to steal your businesses as well. There should also be the option to go into a partnership with a certain amount of people and then you have to split the XP up daily.

So what do you guys think? Sound like a good idea?

yes! but how would you defend it? it would get very irritating when your business gets taken over while you're gone...

maybe like in RDR, where you could attack areas and AI's would defend them! that you can, say, set up AI snipers and turrets etc.! and if you attack you can take a couple of goons with you. and when you're online you can help your goons defend your business. while you're offline they do it for you smile.gif

I like that idea alot! It would offer a unique online experience. That also gives me another idea. You know how in RDR's free roam you can take over territories? Well, wouldn't it be cool if in GTA V's free roam you could take over businesses? I don't remember the benefits of earning territory in RDR, but if they have a ranking system similar to it, perhaps the businesses could earn you XP daily? Of course other people will try to steal your businesses as well. There should also be the option to go into a partnership with a certain amount of people and then you have to split the XP up daily.

So what do you guys think? Sound like a good idea?

yes! but how would you defend it? it would get very irritating when your business gets taken over while you're gone...

maybe like in RDR, where you could attack areas and AI's would defend them! that you can, say, set up AI snipers and turrets etc.! and if you attack you can take a couple of goons with you. and when you're online you can help your goons defend your business. while you're offline they do it for you smile.gif

I imagine it would work the same way as territories do in RDR. You take over a business, and after the end of a game day you receive a certain amount of XP. The more businesses you own the more XP you get. I think once you take over a business that henchmen should spawn there to protect it from other players. Also, if your in a "possee" or a "crew" with your online friends, then they will be considered partners in your businesses and they will earn a % of the XP that they revenue daily. Once you leave the match though all your businesses you obtained will be gone and you have to take them back in the next match.

Please Rockstar... read this thread! lol.

Edited by GTA-King

kSTG7.png

Excellent thread OP. icon14.gif

I agree that V - with the theme of money, which has been emphasised officially in more than one way - is the perfect opportunity to implement a player-driven system centred around business and, well, money. We're about due for another Vice City-esque storyline about taking over a city and asserting power and influence. Take the ideas Rockstar used for The Ballad of Gay Tony, particularly with the clubs, and expand that.

Really interesting topic. I wonder if we have seen some of whats to come with the IV series. Maybe buy a night club like TBOGT and you have those side missions. Or Buy a club house like TLAD. Buy the bowling alley and bar to play darts in. I think that would be pretty sweet.

I think it would be awesome to pay money/level up your goons as well. I thought how they did that in TLAD was brilliant.

Thanks for the excellent feedback guys! smile.gificon14.gif

I'm fairly confident that we will get some sort of aspect of empire building in V. I mean, the theme is MONEY afterall. That V logo is the answer!

kSTG7.png

Oh, buy a taxi service too, and "knock out" the competition, before you know it, Los Santos will only be serviced by your taxi's tounge.gif

Updated my first post everyone! Keep the ideas coming and I will add them to the front once we reach page 5! icon14.gif

@boogachamp: Good idea! A taxi service would generate some great revenue... especially in Los Santos!

kSTG7.png

@boogachamp: Good idea! A taxi service would generate some great revenue... especially in Los Santos!

Actaully, the more I think about that idea I like it. Use money to "add fleets" Eventually have your taxi service include limos, SUVs, and sports cars. Use the phone a car service like in IV from your business smile.gif

Actaully, the more I think about that idea I like it. Use money to "add fleets" Eventually have your taxi service include limos, SUVs, and sports cars. Use the phone a car service like in IV from your business smile.gif

Nice! Would be awesome to pull out your iPhone and give your driver a call to come pick you up in a limo. That's something that was missing from IV... the ability to ride in the back of limos.

kSTG7.png

This is the thread I've been waiting for. I loved the empire building in vcs. A more enhanced version for V would be awesome. Actually shaping the map with your businesses will help a lot with immersion.

This is the thread I've been waiting for. I loved the empire building in vcs. A more enhanced version for V would be awesome. Actually shaping the map with your businesses will help a lot with immersion.

Indeed it would! Plus it would make you feel like a hotshot. Just imagine riding in the back of a limo through Vinewood with some girls sipping on some champagne! You would be the definition of badass!

At 0:40 in the trailer, it looks like our possible protagonist is looking over at the city like he wants to take it over. Notice the construction sites? Perhaps he is thinking this is a great opportunity to expand his empire!

Edited by GTA-King

kSTG7.png

So I just started playing Scarface: The World Is Yours. Curious to see if they implement a similar system.

So I just started playing Scarface: The World Is Yours. Curious to see if they implement a similar system.

Yeah, I liked the way they handled empire building in that game. They could do so much more with V!

kSTG7.png

Godfather 2 the game,which a lot of people didn't like, implimented very cool stuff with building empires and your crew. You could hire a lot of guys to protect your fronts and lose money, or you could put a few and run the risk of losing that business. It was always a balancing act until you made enough dough or wiped out the opposition.The managerial aspect of that game was a fun aspect that I hope comes to V. You walked around hiring the right guys for the job because the men you hired also had certain abilities and skills. They were safecrackers, hitmen,bruisers,demolitionists etc. and you could customize your crew's clothing and your own. I hope we have something even deeper than this for V.

So I just started playing Scarface: The World Is Yours.  Curious to see if they implement a similar system.

Yeah, I liked the way they handled empire building in that game. They could do so much more with V!

Yeah I am actually on Felixs' first leads to go get the restaurant. It all seems very cool so far.

Everything in this topic so far could be that "Bold new direction" and if it is then this game is going to be amazing. Man I can not wait!

You seem to be right above about how he is looking over the city to see how he plans to take it over.

@tobu24: I forgot all about Godfather 2! I remember playing it and think, "Wow, I really feel like a boss!" The only thing that sucked out about it though was once you own everything there's basically nothing left to do because gain more money... in which you can't that much with.

@Meezarawcks: I just might start that game over again. Talking about all this is getting to me! lol. And, this could just be that bold new direction Rockstar speaks of. It would make sense really.

kSTG7.png

@tobu24: I forgot all about Godfather 2! I remember playing it and think, "Wow, I really feel like a boss!" The only thing that sucked out about it though was once you own everything there's basically nothing left to do because gain more money... in which you can't that much with.

@Meezarawcks: I just might start that game over again. Talking about all this is getting to me! lol. And, this could just be that bold new direction Rockstar speaks of. It would make sense really.

Lol last night I saw this video about the top 15 open world games. They had Scarface on there as 5 I think (SA was 2 and IV was 1 lol) so I thought I would get it and give it a try. So far so good. The whole time playing it though I said, "Man I can't wait to see how V turns out!"

Godfather 2 though seemed too in depth and seemed to not be GTA-esque. But then again I am a firm believer that whatever R* choose to do it will become GTA-esque lol

Yea, I try not to finish gf2 or vcs and keep the game going by not wiping out other crews. I also enjoyed paying off high up officials in back alleys for favors.

Another video to get yall pumped up:

Walter White defending his territory.

Keep the ideas coming guys! icon14.gif

kSTG7.png

Another video to get yall pumped up:

Walter White defending his territory.

Keep the ideas coming guys! icon14.gif

Off-topic but loved this scene one of my favorites! Acting, music, editing, direction all freakin superb!

user posted image

Empire Building!

First off, I did not want to post this in the wishlist thread because I believe it deserves it's own. I searched but couldn't find anything similar to it. So here we go. If you have played Vice City Stories, then you know all about its empire building system. It would be PERFECT for V! The theme is about money after all.

Grand Theft Auto V is going to be all about the pursuit of the almighty dollar. So what better way to go after it then to have empire building? Just think, it was the 80's in Vice City. Imagine how you could run an empire in the present day. Your smart phone would be your best friend! You could use it for business calls, arrange meetings, ect. Plus if they bring back the internet from IV (which I'm confident they will) then there's another realm of possibilities right there for empire building. What if Rockstar creates a money laundering system as well? With the businesses you buy, you can funnel all your illegal money through it, like say a car wash, to make it look like you earned it legally. Once the money is laundered you can spend it how you wish. Cars, yachts, guns, condos, henchmen, booze, furniture, ect. Similar to the way Scarface: The World Is Yours handled this, but expand upon it. Would be a cool feature. A way of "beating the system" and living a comfortable lifestyle by committing criminal activities. Also, I think it would be cool if there was a banking system. After you launder the money earned from your businesses, then it will be directly deposited into a bank account, and all you have to do is swing by an ATM whenever you want and collect your earnings. Minus security fees, employee fees, maintenance fees, ect. In my opinion, this will make you feel like an important figure in the game world. Someone successful. Someone with ambition! I mean come on, don't you want to play as another protagonist who is a go-getter like this guy: user posted image

So what do you guys think? Should they bring empire building back? They've brought features like this back before you know. Just like how they brought the respect system from GTA 2 and implemented in GTA San Andreas. So it's possible. What would you guys like to see added to empire building? I will add all of your ideas to this post so no one will overlook them! Maybe Rockstar will look at this thread and see all of your ideas and implement them into GTA V?!

Discuss! user posted imagecool.gifuser posted image

HERE'S A FEW VIDEOS TO GET YOU GUYS PUMPED UP:

A little lesson on laundering money from Saul Goodman!

Tony Montana building his own criminal empire.

An example of Tommy Vercetti's admiring ambition.

Blinded by the light!

An empire that falls.

I take it the fact that you have Scarface in your sig had nothing to do with the creation of this thread wink.gif

I liked the Empire Building idea from VCS as well; my only gripe was they should have given more options. The levels of your club were cool too but once again more options. The mini missions for your empire buildings were cool too but at some point become repetitious.

Bottom line, +1 for the idea. Expecting more variety however!

@Meezarawcks: Agreed! It just show how much of a badass he has become.

@SGT. Johnson: Yeah, I'm a pretty big fan of Scarface. I just like stuff where the main character has nothing, and makes it something. Someone with a dream. Feel free to add your own ideas as well!

By page 5, I will start adding everyone's clever ideas to the first post. icon14.gif

Edited by GTA-King

kSTG7.png

An interesting proposal. I'll post anything I come up with!

For now, bring back the little side missions that were unique to each type of empire building. I thought that made the game have some replay value as they were different to a point. I'll list a few of my versions later.

@GtaKing; you change your sig more than I change my socks! biggrin.gif

lol, yeah I have a pretty nice library to choose from thanks to my good friends in the GFX section.

I was just thinking... what if V's story revolves around Greed? The protagonist eventually gets so greedy that he begins to alienate those around him... and then his empire begins to crumble. That could be a major story arch where he is basically "Blinded by the light." By the end though, all is well. smile.gif

Edited by GTA-King

kSTG7.png

lol, yeah I have a pretty nice library to choose from thanks to my good friends in the GFX section.

I was just thinking... what if V's story revolves around Greed? The protagonist eventually gets so greedy that he begins to alienate those around him... and then his empire begins to crumble. That could be a major story arch where he is basically "Blinded by the light." By the end though, all is well. smile.gif

Too Scarfacey biggrin.gif

Greed should play a part but not that much!

Perhaps arrogance with a sprinkle of betrayal for a Backstab soufflé!

Well, Scarface started getting high on his own supply. That was really his downfall.

With RDR's unique storytelling, you can bet we will be in for a treat with GTA V!

kSTG7.png

paperbackmummy

Great idea. Building a criminal empire would be a good direction to take the game. But would that be the main thrust of the narrative or just something optional you can do on the side?

I never played Vice City much, but I heard it nailed the concept of empire building and it seems like a lot of fans want it back. I know I for one would definitely like to have tons to do in the city and the country when I'm done with the main story.

Great idea. Building a criminal empire would be a good direction to take the game. But would that be the main thrust of the narrative or just something optional you can do on the side?

I never played Vice City much, but I heard it nailed the concept of empire building and it seems like a lot of fans want it back. I know I for one would definitely like to have tons to do in the city and the country when I'm done with the main story.

I think it could work as both part of the story and as not. It seems that the narrator/protagonist in the trailer wants to become rich. So that combines with the theme of the V logo means money will play a big role in the game, and it would only make sense if Rockstar was to bring back empire building. They could do sooo much more with it!

Here's yet another video to get you guys pumped up:

A fine example of business management.

Edited by GTA-King

kSTG7.png