Van Halens new song

locolow2011

The song contains none of that enthusiasm that made them so great first place. It sounds really dry. Just a run of the mill, typical mid-80s VH. Nothing impressive here. This song doesn't inspire confidence in me for the rest of the album.

The video is also really sh*te.

Yeah, Van Halen hasn't been as good since 1984. David Lee Roth's absence really wasn't the cause of it either. Although Roth is much better than Hagar.

The song contains none of that enthusiasm that made them so great first place. It sounds really dry. Just a run of the mill, typical mid-80s VH. Nothing impressive here. This song doesn't inspire confidence in me for the rest of the album.

I'd say it falls short of the enthusiasm, but I'll agree on your other points. It really sounds like they're back together just to mimic their old sound, not to create anything interesting.

4XEtraA.jpg

I'd say it falls short of the enthusiasm, but I'll agree on your other points. It really sounds like they're back together just to mimic their old sound, not to create anything interesting.

Yea.

You know I love their classic stuff but this just feels like some empty rehash. Sad to watch.

The private small New York gig "Occupy Van Halen" is found uploaded nearly entirely from YouTube uploads filmed at that show, and I opted to check out VH's return to LIVE in that manner, my Net was going slow so I didn't stream it all or get in here to talk about it, but seems you guys are either down on Hagar, then down on Diamond Dave, and or down on all of the band, I love it, they were rough and sloppy, but they were starting out anyway, and it's taken some time to get their sea legs again, since it's been 4 years since I saw them live, I was SO STOKED to hear of their return to tour, and a set date here about 3 to 4 months away!!

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, Van Halen hasn't been as good since 1984. David Lee Roth's absence really wasn't the cause of it either. Although Roth is much better than Hagar.

Roth was kind of confrontational wasn't he?

user posted image

Roth is more a SHOWMAN, one of the best, then a lead singer, though no one can claim he can't sing (any worse then Bob Dylan or The Boss)

As far as DLR with VH again, it's not a big surprise sound wise, Can't Get This Stuff No More and Me Wise Magic came out on the Best of VH Volume 1, of which there was supposed to be a follow up, You could say the Sammy Hager collection is Vol 2, has Up For Breakfast I recall, pretty funny I thought, oddly though, doing new songs with Hagar prompted the idea to Sammy that he was back in, and Roth was out!

It's really not great. It even verges on bad. Mediocre lyrics to pretty standard instrumental works. I would of also like the sound to be modernised a bit.

I'm just going to buy the album, rather then listen to it all via YouTube

Seeing that small gig in New York, it was surprising that Van Halen were playing such a small venue, despite DLR's comments about it's legacy, I saw them main floor at the MPLS Target Center I believe, it was some time ago, but I had tall ppl in front of me and I couldn't see well over their heads, so I'm not too keen on main floor tix! hahaha

I prefered Hagar alot more. I think it was quite stupid though to kick Michael Anthony out.

Mike Anthony really sided with Hagar, and they STILL get along, just as the VH brothers have, so really, I think both sides are competent and enjoyable people, there's no REAL BAD GUY here, among any of the band members, Hagar and his solo band are awesome folks as is the VH family, they just had their share of getting along issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, Tattoo aside, the album is actually good. I have only heard one other song from it, and it sounded a lot more like their pre-1984 selves, so I believe it.

Tattoo isn't rubbish, lets' make that clear for those who aren't listening to it, I just felt it's akin to Sammy Hagar getting ribbed for his "Wham Bam, Amsterdam" type lyrics, they're just party songs really, nothing aiming too high, but not the best single choices

evh5150vanhalen

Warning: my username might Be yngwierocks but Eddie Van Halen is the reason i picked up a guitar and is my favorite guitar player.

I have the album, I love it, I also love tattoo. It's the first song on the disc and is a perfect album opener. The songs i listen to the most are: she's the woman, you and your blues, china town, blood and fire, as is, stay frosty and big river. I dig all the songs but for some reason those songs are the ones that i keep scanning the disc to listen to the most. I do have to say though my least favorite song on the album is bullethead. Tattoo is the only song on the album with keyboards (that i've noticed) eddie's tone changes on some songs like tattoo and you and your blues has a F.U.C.K album tone to it with the harmonizer effects for example. All in all the album was well worth the wait, Eddie's playing is still top notch.

Tattoo just pales (as a song) next to the prior DLR tunes with Eddie and the band, but he, short hair or not, old guy with that geeky smile or not, [David Lee Roth] is one of a kind, still an entertainer lead man, but he can't replicate his past, he's getting up there in years like Robert Plant, but at least he loves performing and is not one to retire from music

Warning: my username might Be yngwierocks but Eddie Van Halen is the reason i picked up a guitar and is my favorite guitar player.

I have the album, I love it, I also love tattoo. It's the first song on the disc and is a perfect album opener. The songs i listen to the most are: she's the woman, you and your blues, china town, blood and fire, as is, stay frosty and big river. I dig all the songs but for some reason those songs are the ones that i keep scanning the disc to listen to the most. I do have to say though my least favorite song on the album is bullethead. Tattoo is the only song on the album with keyboards (that i've noticed) eddie's tone changes on some songs like tattoo and you and your blues has a F.U.C.K album tone to it with the harmonizer effects for example. All in all the album was well worth the wait, Eddie's playing is still top notch.

Yeah man, I just love Eddie's tone. I really badly wanna pick up an EVH Wolfgang or an Axis, both stunning guitars.

evh5150vanhalen

Yeah man, I just love Eddie's tone. I really badly wanna pick up an EVH Wolfgang or an Axis, both stunning guitars.

I'm really thinking about getting a white 5150III amp and a custom made striped kramer 5150 lol

• 3 weeks later...

Kramer guitars got a boost from the old Ed, HOWEVER, He's only really used the neck, Ed never had a guitar you could buy on the shelf until the Musicman and Wolfgang Peavey's His find was a guitar body made by Boogie Bodies as I recall, and custom pickups he dipped and wound, removed and replaced circuits, which show up as the odd ball wiring and cavities you've seen on his old gits

To add though, he musta been buzzed here!

• 5 weeks later...

MUST BUMP with this Howard Stern radio special, over 4 hours, strap yourself in!!

I did get through this whole audio segment, you can skip the end CrackheadBob joke,

However, should enjoy this multipart BAND sit-down interviews, also new to YouTube

Edited by Slamman