Can SparkIV work on two installed copies of GTA IV

jitsuin

OK so my title speaks for itself. Here is what I did:

Installed non-Steam version of GTA IV 1.0.4 first, played for awhile, modded, all that, I have because of Icenhancer 1.35 and also doesn't give me bullsheet when i mod player.rpf wink.gif I used Spark with 1.0.4 and no probs.

then I install Steam GTA IV 1.0.7 because I want multi and all that. And some mods like LCPD First Response works better on 1.0.7.

Now Spark can only find 1.0.7. So im guessing the install changes some registry entry?

Is there like an easy regedit i can do to have spark switch back n forth between the 2 copies or can i not use GTA IV 1.0.4 with Spark anymore unless I reinstall. I know there is a way, hopefully one of you knows...thanks!! biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, you cannot have 2 versions of the game installed at the same time, as I have confirmed this, as I have the Retail(DVD) version with Patch 4 and played this version exclusively, then I installed the Steam version(which I assume would be the latest Patch?) and started playing this version(which has minor stuttering issues-rare, but still there) and Patch 4 did not have this issue, so I went back and went to play the DVD version(since the DVD is still in my disc drive) and it showed the black screen and then crashed with the error of "out of vram..."which is no where near the case, as I have over 3GB total vram and the game says "1241MB" in the Graphics option....However, the Steam version still works fine. So, I take it this is a new glitch that has not been found yet, as I have searched and have not found anything about this? Just curious. confused.gif

PS-The Steam version gets the same fps as the Retail(DVD) version did on the same settings-even though it shows a lower Resource Usage on the Steam version than the DVD version did at the same settings-it show 5 hundred and something on the steam version and like 6 hundred something on the DVD version at the same settings.

Edited by radioman

Unfortunately, you cannot have 2 versions of the game installed at the same time

Yes, it can be done. Thousands of people are doing it at this very moment.

Unfortunately, you cannot have 2 versions of the game installed at the same time

Yes, it can be done. Thousands of people are doing it at this very moment.

If it can be done, then can you please explain how, since I have proven that it does not work when both versions are installed?-ie. you can only use one version and not both...

Something I am still curious about, is Why do people in this section tend to basically just post a yes or no response without explaining how they have come to there conclusion? In my opinion, this is rude and unprofessional behavior and defeats the purpose of the forum...afterall, the purpose of the forum is to get information on GTA games as well as help people, and a response without an explanation is not helping anyone.. confused.gif If you say it can be done, then explain how it can be done, since I have proven it does not work...and I have searched and have not come up with anything on this subject... confused.gif Also, please be polite in all responses...

Edited by radioman

You have not proven anything.

The problem arises from the settings file which makes the game crash when switching versions.

You have not proven anything.

The problem arises from the settings file which makes the game crash when switching versions.

Just a heads up, that still does not say how it's done? Remember, there are people who do not know as much about PC's and Games like you do...I mean, not all of us grew up using computers like some of you did...So, can you please(and do it politely please) how it is done, as I said, I have searched the forums as well as Google and have not seen anything on this subject...

As you said, it is a settings file, but which one? The Steam one OR the Retail one? What can be done about it, so this is not a problem anymore? I know I ask a lot of questions and am curious about a lot of things, but that is called "trying to learn." I was taught that if you don't know something, then just ask and I was also taught that there are NO such things as a "stupid" question...

Yes, obviously I have proven it doesn't work, as even with Xliveless and commandlines, it still does not work(and to my knowledge), this is one of the things xliveless is supposed to help with?

@Radioman

i play version 1.0.4, then i rename settings file to identify it as 1.0.4 settings and then rename my 1.0.7 settings file to default name. You have to do this when switching between the 2 but yeah u can have 2 copies installed.

Funny how you come in and say that you cant have 2 copies after i created thread saying that i am doing that...lol

@ mkey82

gotcha

Well dont post here, if someone can PM me help then I appreciate biggrin.gif

Edited by jitsuin

I just assumed you'd delete the settings once you started the other game version, having your settings stored in the commandline.txt file. You could also backup the file, have a script do it etc. The settings file can be found here http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtop...entry1059261920

Anyway, SparkIV has it's own thread, that would be a good place to start looking http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=384933

wow I just realized i can navigate to any folder on my PC with Spark and open any .img file i want to edit. So i dont even need spark to browse for my other copy. Thread closed, waste of a link lol