Goodfella TV Series

Mr White0161

So I was just poking around and apparently AMC is taking upon the task of creating the cult classic Goodfellas into a TV series.

Info Here.

Oh wow, I hope this happens! Goodfellas is one of my favorite movies of all time. I would love to see them incorporate it into a TV show. I wonder what the plot will be about.

Nice find! icon14.gif

Edited by GTA-King

kSTG7.png

[O]tter[ba]nned Oct 8, 2013, for 91 days.

Could be interesting. There was quite a bit in the book they cut from the film. Thing is, the film is such a classic, they'd really need to make it different to warrant it's creation. I'm sure they would. For example, Henry's incarceration lasted for yeaaaaars, though in the movie it seems to last only 10 minutes or something. They could do a whole season on Henry being in prison, getting his wife to sneak in drugs and stuff to sell.

They could also work on making the characters closer to their real life version. Robert De Niro's character, for example, was apparently a complete f*cking brute. A thug who LOVED violence. Never really got that in the film.

There's going to be those who say "waaa the film's a classic why do this" and "The Sopranos is basically a fictional version of Goodfellas" but done properly this could be f*cking immense.

user posted image

If any other channel was doing it I would break out (except for HBO) in rage as Goodfellas is one of my all time favorites, however AMC are amazing and I truly think they could pull this off.

As SIKKS66 there is still a lot missing from the story, despite what seems to be a happy ending, Henry did not stop after witness protection, he continued to deal drugs though it was short lived

user posted image

Holy sh*t. This could be amazing.

That's one of my favorite movies of all time, and AMC's been coming out with some particularly awesome TV series for a while now. This is great, I can't wait. wow.gif

This is going to have to be done right to work, but if all goes well then I can't f*cking wait for it. There's a lot missing from the film that could make for one long series. Looking forward to it. icon14.gif

POm4xuo.png

Wow! Really hope this happens. Goodfellas is not only Scorsese's masterpiece , it's one of the best movies of all time. I've been waiting for something to fill that gap since the Sopranos. Boardwalk is great, but this could be amazing!

user posted image

• 4 months later...
Hmmm nice bike

I figure it wouldn't hurt to bump this topic, since we're already on the discussion of Goodfellas. Henry Hill, the basis for Goodfellas, has died.

Ms Caserta told CBS News Hill was with family members when he died, adding he "went out pretty peacefully, for a goodfella".

I got a laugh out of a quote on my twitter feed this morning related to this news.

RIP Henry Hill. Funeral arrangements include a long fluid tracking shot from the morgue, into the wake, that ends at the cemetery.

Ld8Bhg8.gif

Hopefully the series will take place during the 70s or the 80s like in the movie. A modern setting would be a huge turn-off.

I got a laugh out of a quote on my twitter feed this morning related to this news.

RIP Henry Hill. Funeral arrangements include a long fluid tracking shot from the morgue, into the wake, that ends at the cemetery.

They forgot that the soundtrack was Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here, followed by the Rolling Stone's You Can't Always Get What You Want.

• 3 weeks later...

Rest in Peace indeed! Lucky bastard lived the life we all dream of, f*cked all his homies right up the ass, wrote a book about it and had an amazing movie made about him.

Died a very happy man, no doubt.

• 2 weeks later...

A Goodfellas series? f*ck yeah!

If this is done right, it would definitely fill the tv void left by The Sopranos 5 years ago.

Everything else on tv absolutely sucks. Although South Park and Boardwalk Empire are pretty good.

bash the fash m8s 

• 3 weeks later...
ZerrickiShadow
A Goodfellas series? f*ck yeah!

If this is done right, it would definitely fill the tv void left by The Sopranos 5 years ago.

Everything else on tv absolutely sucks. Although South Park and Boardwalk Empire are pretty good.

I like both of those shows but there are a lot of great tv shows on right now. You just aren't looking hard enough.

I hope they can find some people that actually look like the characters.

Henry, Jimmy, and Tommy should have been honored to have good/decent looking people like Robert DeNiro, Joe Pesci, and Ray Liotta (at the time) play ugly ass guys like them.

something tells me this is a bad idea.

the movie was enough, wasn't it?

do we really need a gangster series based on it? on basic cable?

I'm pretty sure the definitive gangster series has already been done to perfection.

it's called The Sopranos.

Mister Pink
I'm pretty sure the definitive gangster series has already been done to perfection.

it's called The Sopranos.

This but...

Doesn't mean more can't exist and be good. I welcome any good television. The Mafia theme hasn't been hot since the mid 90's with the exception of The Sopranos, where they really re-invented the genre. Not saying this is going to be good but there's no harm in it co-existing with The Sopranos. icon14.gif

• 4 weeks later...

This is good news, it's so sad The Sopranos is ended, I hope this serie be as good! (even thought it's a hard job!!)

• 3 months later...

Has there been any updates on this over recent months?

Looks as if it could be pretty awsome. As good as the movie's cast is- the show really needs actors that look like the people themselves were (and use their REAL names). Plus, with the things that have been found out about these people in the 20+ years since the movies and the book, they could end up making it even more historically accurate (e.g. The circumstances around Tommy's death)

If this doesn't come to be, I would really love to see a series about Sammy Gravano (which imo is a more interesting real-world story than Henry Hill's)

Johnny Playert

That's great news! Very good movie, one of my all-time favourites. Good idea for a series! The fact that AMC is doing it feels reassuring, this should be good. Thanks for sharing!

Sadly, after almost a year no follow up on this whatsoever. icon13.gif

fV9tG4b.gif

Johnny Playert
Sadly, after almost a year no follow up on this whatsoever. icon13.gif

F*cking looooool

Never noticed this topic was created almost a year ago hahah. Too bad though.