The search function is rubbish

Finn 7 five 11

Finn 7 five 11

In the GTA V section, there was a topic which may have been created by Grope_4_that_date (i don't remember clearly) and it compiled everyone's guesses into a table, I have tried searching for it to no avail, and i was wondering if someone here - who can use the search efficiently - may be able to find it for me.

Thanks in advance.

If you want to find specific topics easier, putting the phrase you are searching between quotation marks will help greatly. The search function searches based on individual words entered otherwise.

For example, if I am searching for the "Guess The Release Date" topic, putting in "Guess The Release Date" (without quotations) will bring up results with all those keywords (as individual words) and will show a whole lot or rubbish unrelated to what you are looking for (link). Putting quotations around the phrase however will mean that the search function will search for the phrase as it is written, refining your search (link). As you can see, putting quotations around the phrase narrowed down my search from over 130 pages to just over a handful of topics.

Hope that helps! smile.gif

Edited by DTUMan
RE9mJnf.png

Finn 7 five 11

If you want to find specific topics easier, putting the phrase you are searching between quotation marks will help greatly. The search function searches based on individual words entered otherwise.

For example, if I am searching for the "Guess The Release Date" topic, putting in "Guess The Release Date" (without quotations) will bring up results with all those keywords (as individual words) and will show a whole lot or rubbish unrelated to what you are looking for (link). Putting quotations around the phrase however will mean that the search function will search for the phrase as it is written, refining your search (link). As you can see, putting quotations around the phrase narrowed down my search from over 130 pages to just over a handful of topics.

Hope that helps! smile.gif

Oh i see, so its like google.

Is it powered by google?

By the way, you guys linked me the wrong topic tounge.gif That is guess the setting, i was looking for guess the release date.

Edited by finn4life

Yeah I noticed that too. lol And no problem. smile.gif

When searching I just typed in Search 'release date' then I clicked on where it said 'GTA V' under the 'Search Where' menu, and finally I checked off the option 'Search titles only', a big list came up but it had that thread listed close to the top.

Edited by sonnyBlack

Remember, most of the important topics are Pinned(with the exceptions of a few that should be but are not), so always check those first...

To make the Search feature much faster at finding the topic you want, use the section where it says "Filter by member name"-enter the topic creator/poster name(or your own if you posted in that topic before) to narrow the results down more...I do this all the time when using the Search feature...Also, remember there are several ways to search on here besides just the one on the left side of the screen, as I have shown here in this video, there are at least 4 ways to search: Just a friendly heads up. tounge2.gif

There was a topic about how to use the Search feature, but apparently it has been either deleted/binned or something, cause I was unable to locate it? confused.gif

OysterBarron

I must addmit i use google to search for topics. type gtaforums topic title and its pretty good. dug up some real olds ones easyily!

wtBEybp.png

gLs7a8h.png
MODQEwD.png

• 1 month later...

i HATE the search. I try and post new topic and i search if it has been created, so i type it in a loads of useless topics come up. I cant find a match. And then i post topic and then a mod locks it cuz there is another topic, but the search didint say there was

When your topic is locked because one has already been made like it even though you did a search, just take it with a grain of salt and don't be bitter about it. That's all you can do.

Look, I'm not going to sugar coat it. The search function here is probably the worst function we have. All you can do is work with it the best you can and as Oyster mentioned using Google is better.

fV9tG4b.gif

It's not that bad, I know it's problematic when it comes to bumps, but you have to use some careful judgment on what you could bump versus quote and post anew, which could also be a link to a locked or old thread

• 2 weeks later...
dansgas1000
I must addmit i use google to search for topics. type gtaforums topic title and its pretty good. dug up some real olds ones easyily!

Yeah somehow thats works well, i was looking for my topic called '200 things we learnt in trailer 1' i just typed 200 things learnt trailer and it came up top result!