R* Has Already Showed us the Map

DaDweez

Remember the flyer from tbgt, This one:

user posted image

Got that, Good. Now this is what we've "officially" been told by R*:

We are very proud to officially announce that Grand Theft Auto V is in full development.

Developed by series creator Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto V heads to the city of Los Santos and surrounding hills, countryside and beaches in the largest and most ambitious game Rockstar has yet created.

A bold new direction in open-world freedom, storytelling, mission-based gameplay and online multiplayer, Grand Theft Auto V focuses on the pursuit of the almighty dollar in a re-imagined, present day Southern California.

Okay, now look at what the two have in common:

1. The monopoly guy (bottom left) and the mention of "...focuses on the pursuit of the almighty dollar..." Okay, cool. They seem to have a strong relationship, right?

2. The film award looking things (top right), and we now know it's based on LA, so the film business will have a part in the new story, right? or was it just a hint at location? Either way, the two have a strong relationship again.

3. The bottom middle in red "Opens March Everywhere." Maybe march of next year ... Just kidding, Have no idea what this means, but it is noteworthy when you start to look at this flyer a little more literally. I seriously doubt a March 2012 release.

4. And it's the literal nature of the flyer and what we've been told, that makes me think the rip on the bottom right...

user posted image

the subject of so much speculation, I believe is the map:

user posted image

FYI -- I maintained the original aspect ratio in the overlay. And Just the topography:

user posted image

A 5 speculative notes:

1. It's not an island, the southern border of the map will be a giant wall boarding Mexico.

2. The eastern edge's last major town will be the real life equivalent of barstow, and then the map will stretch into the real life mojave desert.

3. We'll have islands in the pacific, Catalina, and or channel islands.

4. Santa Barbra will be the last major town to the north.

5. It's going to be epic.

Oh, and if you work for R* and are reading this, and I just nailed your map -- I live about 5 blocks from your NY office, and I'd like a Guinness please.

Edited by DaDweez

You're looking too deep into this man, just let it go.

We already know it's going to be a huge map, nothing new here.

And plus, there was another thread dedicated to this flyer (that was seen in the GTA V trailer as well) a couple of days ago.

It won't hurt to use the search icon14.gif

HydraulicWaRiOr

And plus, there was another thread dedicated to this flyer (that was seen in the GTA V trailer as well) a couple of days ago.

It won't hurt to use the search icon14.gif

Pretty sure that this guy did a better analysis of this poster than the other OP

Wont hurt to look at the other guys post first before judging this

As for the OP, great job, i never noticed that before. Id like to see work like yours in the trailer analysis thread icon14.gif

Im not trying to sound rude but this has been brought up a MILLION TIMES and image came from some sort of ad in gta 4. Just wait for R* to release f*cking info instead of playing detective.

Pretty sure that this guy did a better analysis of this poster than the other OP

Wont hurt to look at the other guys post first before judging this

As for the OP, great job, i never noticed that before. Id like to see work like yours in the trailer analysis thread icon14.gif

This guy missed the fact that this flyer was also seen in GTA V (or Vice City, I can't remember at the time).

It won't hurt to read my post before responding to me icon14.gif

Im not trying to sound rude but this has been brought up a MILLION TIMES and image came from some sort of ad in gta 4. Just wait for R* to release f*cking info instead of playing detective.

I agree with you, this has been posted many times before and has been proven to be just an ad in the GTA games...but no need to be that hostile.

Relax, buddy.

EDIT: I was incorrect in saying the FLYER was in previous games. The "torn" image WAS indeed in Vice City, VCS, etc.

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=497158

Enjoy.

Edited by Nigel xD

@Nigel

Pretty sure I started my post by saying that this flyer/ad was from The Ballad of Gay Tony, a GTAIV episodic.

And while this flyer/ad has been discussed PLENTY, it really hasn't been examined for the similarities it shares with the information revealed with GTAV announcement and trailer. If the flyer was in the GTAV trailer, I did not know that.

And that link isn't really relevant to my point -- the shape of the tear is the shape of the map, not anything to do with the underlying image that was used previously.

Edited by DaDweez

@Nigel

Pretty sure I started my post by saying that this flyer/ad was from The Ballad of Gay Tony, a GTAIV episodic.

And while this flyer/ad has been discussed PLENTY, it really hasn't been examined for the similarities it shares with the information revealed with GTAV announcement and trailer.   If the flyer was in the GTAV trailer, I did not know that.

BoGT, TLAD, IV, the flyer is still in there regardless of what episode you play in.

And what similarities? The monopoly man? All you really did was copy and paste Google Maps on the image. dozingoff.gif

The ad is from Vice City.

user posted image

As far as I'm concerned, Vice City =/= Los Santos.

Also, the ad wasn't in the GTA V trailer. That was my mistake.

Although the "Mollis" sign was.

user posted image

spaceeinstein

Prove to me that the ad came from Vice City, like actual evidence from within the game.

@Nigel

Stop. Trying. to. hijack. threads.

Go back to your closet troll.

What are you on about? Hijacking threads? I'm on topic, aren't I?

Just because I disagree with your post, doesn't make me a troll.

Quit being so close minded.

I'm aware I could be wrong, but you should also be aware that you could be wrong as well.

Jesus, lighten up.

cousinletsgobowling

Nice post. I'm also trying to figure out just how the map would turn out. I also like the idea of the border and Tijuana included as well. The only thing I'll say is it wouldn't be quite as large as shown here. I mean look at all that ocean. What would they include in there beside a few islands. Maybe deep sea exploring?

It would definitely be much more condensed but would still be a large map.

this is what I think the map will resemble

user posted image

^^^ that is Los Angeles county, consists of LA, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Compton... all of the most famous towns and areas near LA...

I think the mountains will be on the northern and eastern coast of the map, while water will border the southern and western sides.

It's not going to be that big. It will have cool stuff from all over the L.A. area but the area of the game map will be, at most, in the low tens of square miles, not hundreds or thousands. Los Angeles County is 4,083 square miles. GTA SA is 13.9 square miles and remains the biggest map Rockstar has made. It's possible to do a bigger map but not with the level of hand-crafted detail Rockstar puts in.

GREAT Topic, Nice find dude, i hope you are right about the map size , i hope the map is bigger than GTA:SA

It's not going to be that big. It will have cool stuff from all over the L.A. area but the area of the game map will be, at most, in the low tens of square miles, not hundreds or thousands. Los Angeles County is 4,083 square miles. GTA SA is 13.9 square miles and remains the biggest map Rockstar has made. It's possible to do a bigger map but not with the level of hand-crafted detail Rockstar puts in.

If GTA V at the least is as big as San Andreas, i'll be one happy camper. If yall do remember Dan Houser in that

magazine preview where he said he had to be careful how he's read, and where he mentioned "a very big map". I mean

I think some of us might be underestimating what kind of detail Rockstar is putting into this thing. Im past the whole 3 city thing

now tbh. Just LA county w/ countryside (and possibly San Diego) seems fine with me. Judging from the trailer and from Dan's

quote it's safe to say they are hiding stuff we would have never guessed.

My own bet is this. Take GTA IV's realism and street details and multiply that by 3-5 times.

I truly believe they are going all out with this.

You're looking too deep into this thread man, just let it go.

We already have a moderator on this forum to take care of that stuff, nothing helpful in your post.

CryptReaperDorian

People should probably listen to this guy.

Don't even expect a map that big. I'd say GTA V's map will probably be 25 square miles at most (which is about the same size as Manhattan), and that's probably stretching it. I would never expect a map from R* that is scaled to almost exactly the same size of the city or borough the game is based on (like the True Crime series).

Don't even expect a map that big. I'd say GTA V's map will probably be 25 square miles at most (which is about the same size as Manhattan), and that's probably stretching it. I would never expect a map from R* that is scaled to almost exactly the same size of the city or borough the game is based on (like the True Crime series).

Do you want a HUGE map with Repetitive Enviroments like just cause and true crimes or a big one with detailed enviroments like GTA (esp. GTA IV), its not about the size you know

CryptReaperDorian

Do you want a HUGE map with Repetitive Enviroments like just cause and true crimes or a big one with detailed enviroments like GTA (esp. GTA IV), its not about the size you know

I never said I wanted a map that big. Besides, 25 square miles isn't even close to the size of a map in the Just Cause series (Just Cause 2 has a map at least eight times that size) or True Crime: Streets of L.A. That's not even twice the size of San Andreas in GTA SA, and I don't even expect the map to be twice the size of GTA SA's map.

Harwood Butch3r

All I would like is a map bigger than SA, but with a detailed environment. IMO it should be more than achievable if LS is the only city.

I would rather want to have an average sized map than a large, empty map.

On topic:

Your find is interesting. Yeah, the flyer was a very long issue, but I like your interpretation.

Nice post, this could very well be the map of the game, I mean it does fit almost perfect, and some will be "yeah but it does not fit", ok so Rockstar needs to do perfect fit maps for it to be true? I mean it looks like the real deal.

All I would like is a map bigger than SA, but with a detailed environment. IMO it should be more than achievable if LS is the only city.

100% agree, i just want it to be bigger than GTA:SA

JoshGTAfreak

I do want it to be bigger then SA too. Plus, it has to be bigger then IV, which wasn't as small compared to SA as people make it out to be.

On-Topic: You could well be right to be honest. I mean, it could be a really weird coincidence with the monopoly guy and the film award, but it's possible.

"Opens everywhere is march" may to point to the fact that the game is set in March. Around the release of this film or whatever this flyer is. No doubt the film industry will be back in the game so this doesn't sound like the worst idea.

Apart from that we know nothing and the map would never have 1:1 aspect ratio. I do want it to be huge though. I want a vast bit of desert as well as big city which they could fit in. I hope the vast open desert is somewhere around the wind farm, as long as its big enough to have a play around and not just directly where the wind farm is like they showed in the trailer then it will be fine. I hope the offroad bit is not just the windfarm.

If they have these two contrasts which judging by the trailer is does seem they do and they have at least a moderate size then all will be well.