Recommended graphic/performance mods/tweaks

sama92

Hi, what would you recommend i use to make gta 4 run better and look better? I get about 20-40fps average (ranges quite a bit) with Realizm 6.2, VisualIV 1.7.7 and am downloading ultimate textures 2.0. I also have a big car pack, with some big models up to 4mb and car vehicle images is about 400mb altogether. Because i am on a optimus laptop i cant use the enb series of mods so i would like a similiar effect with maybe aa or supersampling. Realizm and visualiv help a bit but theres still a lot of jaggies. I havent tried overclocking yet but would like something to make the game more like what the enb mod offers.

Im on a 1600x900 res with all the settings on high apart from af which is on highest and water quality is on very high. With everything maxed the game still doesnt look to good with no form of aa. I also have defintion off (hoping the blur will hide some of the jagged edges) and vsync on.

Thanks for any help guys as im sure you must see hundreds of threads like this. smile.gif

post modding questions in the modding forums, they will be better able to help you. ask a moderator to move this question for you, that way you won't have to retype. and be sure to add your computer's specifications also.

Post your specs, as unc13bud mentioned.

I recommend that you use the d3d9.dll file found in every ENB series package out there. You won't notice any big change in performance (press shift+F12 to enable/disable to verify). What it does is enhance reflections and vegetation.

Oh, and you might wanna try out FXAA By Some Dude. (Which also won't change the performance much. smile.gif

Post your specs, as unc13bud mentioned.

I recommend that you use the d3d9.dll file found in every ENB series package out there. You won't notice any big change in performance (press shift+F12 to enable/disable to verify). What it does is enhance reflections and vegetation.

Oh, and you might wanna try out FXAA By Some Dude. (Which also won't change the performance much. smile.gif

Hi thanks for your reply but unfortunately i cant use any enb mods due to my laptop using optimus, nvidia control panel doesnt recognise the d3d9 file and switches to the intel gpu rendering the game unplayable, the game wont load at all with icenhancer due to this issue. This is a common problem for all optimus users and the only fix so far is to plug in a external display which bypasses the intel gpu using the nvidia gpu straight away hence allowing enb to use it, but this isnt practical at all so am waiting for an enb mod which is compatible or a fix from nvidia (not counting on the latter).

The fxaa by some dude has the same problem.

But anyway my specs are

Intel core i7 2630qm 2nd gen sandy bridge

Nvidia GT 555m 3gb vram with optimus (switchable graphics with intel gpu built into cpu to save battery life)

8Gb DDR3 ram

128gb crucial m4 ssd

640gb 7200rpm hdd

1600x900 res

I think now ive got the game looking as best as i can without enb. Im using Realizm 6.2, ultimate textures 2.0, visualiv 1.7.7 and environment mod 5. With some command lines which enhance the reflections and help with fps. With my current tweaks im now getting about 35fps average and generally no lower than 25, occasionaly dips to 18-20 during heavy traffic or new area but am happy with the performance. I will post my game settings and command lines if anyones interested.