Weird question re: dialing tutorial

Druffmaul

I've wondered about this ever since I first played GTAIV, never been able to figure it out, always bugged me-

Early in the game, pretty sure it's at the end of the mission where Vlad has you steal the Blista (Clean Getaway)... right after you put it in the lockup, a tutorial message pops up that tells you how to dial a phone number manually using the keypad. So I assume there should be an obvious phone number around there somewhere, but there isn't. Actually maybe I did see one on a billboard or something, but when I dialed it I got the "not a legit number" signal. I dunno, it just seems like since they put the tutorial at that specific moment, there should be a working phone number right around there for you to dial and get some kind of result. So, is there one and I've just never spotted it? Just curious.

Edited by Druffmaul

IGNORE FOLLOWING POST BY ME, go straight to the bottom ... I worked it out.

Excellent point, although there are numbers which can be dialed into the cell phone in order to activate features in the game, I have as of yet been unable to do so because the game simply will not let me do it. I do not recall EVER seeing a telephone dialogue describing how to enter said numbers, but I'm sure its out there on the web someplace so shall now research it. However, that said, in order to make the game comfortable for me I reconfigured the keyboard (PC version) and in doing so changed the native functions of the keypad to the immediate left of my main keyboard, and now when I type in numbers the phone chooses not to allow it. Perhaps this feature which is hard-coded into the console version has some known glitch when attempted on the PC. Anyone with any knowledge of this, or how to resolve it (especially on the PC) please let us know.

Appendum: I worked how to do it quite by accident, the explaination is detailed further down this post. Let us just say that the keypad numbers have nothing to do with it and the reasoning is simple - a console does not have a numeric input pad so the game was never designed with one, and numbers have to be chosen and then dialed in so that you can make a phone call. Scroll down, you're see it.

Edited by Karjerker

I don't know anything about the PC version, but in the console version this tutorial instructs you to press up on the D-pad twice to access your cell phone's keypad. Then you use the the D-pad to move around the keys and hit the action button to press a key. Is it possible the PC version wants you to use your arrow keys to move around the on-screen phone keypad rather than type in the phone number on your keyboard?

To clarify my question, what puzzles me is that most of the GTAIV in-game tutorials are relevant to something you should or at least can do at that point in the game. The dialing tutorial seems completely irrelevant at that point, which doesn't feel right to me. I was hoping there was a phone number posted in the environment around Vlad's lockup and I just fail at spotting it.

Don't you receive a call from Roman at around this time, where he tells you that Brucie and him are dialing the cops for fun? Maybe this tutorial was given when it was so the observant player could connect the dots, try calling 911 and discover they could do it too?

Yep, I heard the message about dialing the cops, watching them turn up - look around, confused ... then Niko tells them not to cry wolf. At no point during the dialogue, or after it, did anything pop up on my PC screen telling me how to dial anything at all.

Yep, I heard the message about dialing the cops, watching them turn up - look around, confused ... then Niko tells them not to cry wolf. At no point during the dialogue, or after it, did anything pop up on my PC screen telling me how to dial anything at all.

That's right, but my point was that call happens around the time of the dialing tutorial, so there's enough there for the enterprising player to put two and two together and call up the cops himself. It's like in TLAD, where Elizabeta randomly gives you the number of Roman's cab company, and there's no clue about what to do with it, since it doesn't actually work. However, when you do "Roman's Holiday," if you realise you can use it in that one mission, you have a different way of doing that mission.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I finally worked out how to dial in telephone numbers in GTA-IV, and you're have to forgive my description because I decided to re-define the keypad on my PC version so it would be a waste of your time explaining what keys I've allotted, but that will not stop me explaining the basic procedure.

(1) First of all, you have to press the key you have defined to bring up the phone - if you want to make a phone call using a NUMBER rather than an address in your phone book, tap that key TWICE - the phone image will slide up and this time will reveal the whole of the dialing pad.

(2) Now the number you want to dial from this point on will be highlighted in yellow with the rest of the keys in white. In order to ''dial'' a number use the keys you assigned to scroll the menu on the phone up and down and the keys which you defined to allow Niko, Johnny or Luis to shimmy from left to right (while on a wall, etc) - these will allow you to move the highlighted number back and forth at will.

(3) Once you have selected a number, to lock it into the display so it can be rung, simply tap the key previously defined to 'accept an incoming call' / or 'yes' (when given a choice during a mini-game). You will have to repeat this procedure until the whole of the number you wish to dial in is complete on the screen.

(4) Once you have the number, scroll the selector keys so that the green phone icon (left upper top) is highlighted and press the 'accept an incoming call' button and it will now dial the number you have entered.

It is as simple as that - I trust the explanation was not too confusing. As mentioned by a couple of people elsewhere in the forum, the on-screen instructions (showing your chosen keys) for this procedure appear immediately after ''Ivan The Not So Terrible'' and Roman telling you that he and Brucie are calling the cops, watching them turn up and then looking around, confused.

Edited by Karjerker