Changing Gameplay through Headsets

Ispintechno

Well lets be honest here, gaming headsets aren't just reserved for the extreme Nerdaphile anymore. With online gaming we can talk smack to each other, or coordinate in ways not possible in the past.

R* is promising something new and different in terms of redefining GTA, online and off, I'm wondering if it's possible with headsets turned on if we will be able to interact verbally with pedestrians, gang bangers, cops, prostitutes, or that crazy guy shouting apocalyptic bible verses off his soap box across the street?

Can we verbally instigate a fight or a robbery? Maybe even call for help? Is speech recognition a pipe dream at this point in gaming? What if you just screamed and peds turned around to give you a dirty look or tell you shut your cake hole?

Online, maybe headsets will broadcast only within earshot of other players vs annoying an entire area or map? There seems to be some untapped possibilities here and who here would be better to bring a new interaction element into a video game? R* brings you a 3D version of what was a top down view game, and publishes the first ever game to use motion scan of real actors. What if they have been secretly adding in a bold new interactive feature to shock us all?

If not through sound... what the devil would it be...

That's what I want, is a family member walking in on me talking to a video game. Only way I'll interact with a pedestrian is with an uzi. Same goes with the hookers after I finish of course.

That's what I want, is a family member walking in on me talking to a video game. Only way I'll interact with a pedestrian is with an uzi. Same goes with the hookers after I finish of course.

Just start twitching violently and they'll leave you alone lol

MagneticAvenue

I can imagine the conversation would go something like this

Me: "You are all wankers!"

And then everyone within earshot stop what they are doing, get out of cars and off bikes and walk back up subway stairs to converge on and beat the crap out of me.

But then again, I'm probably not the best person to utilize this feature..

Finn 7 five 11
Well lets be honest here, gaming headsets aren't just reserved for the extreme Nerdaphile anymore. With online gaming we can talk smack to each other, or coordinate in ways not possible in the past.

R* is promising something new and different in terms of redefining GTA, online and off, I'm wondering if it's possible with headsets turned on if we will be able to interact verbally with pedestrians, gang bangers, cops, prostitutes, or that crazy guy shouting apocalyptic bible verses off his soap box across the street?

Can we verbally instigate a fight or a robbery? Maybe even call for help? Is speech recognition a pipe dream at this point in gaming? What if you just screamed and peds turned around to give you a dirty look or tell you shut your cake hole?

Online, maybe headsets will broadcast only within earshot of other players vs annoying an entire area or map? There seems to be some untapped possibilities here and who here would be better to bring a new interaction element into a video game? R* brings you a 3D version of what was a top down view game, and publishes the first ever game to use motion scan of real actors. What if they have been secretly adding in a bold new interactive feature to shock us all?

That is a cool idea, i like it. add some more depth to the game, but voice recognition software is still pretty crappy, pre-set insults listed in the handbook or listed as you turn your microphone on would work, you just might have to say the word slowly, and multiple times haha.

With MP though it wouldn't really work, because you talk over the mic anyway and being limited to only talking to people near you would suck.

That is a cool idea, i like it. add some more depth to the game, but voice recognition software is still pretty crappy, pre-set insults listed in the handbook or listed as you turn your microphone on would work, you just might have to say the word slowly, and multiple times haha.

With MP though it wouldn't really work, because you talk over the mic anyway and being limited to only talking to people near you would suck.

Ah its not perfect but it could be well thought out and refined. I'm no programmer so I'm not sure what kind of work something like this would actually require. Maybe it would be hard work like a game engine, or maybe it could even be something that learns, like the more you talk the better it gets. It would probably be more fun in single player and next to useless in MP.

GANGSTA26-VERCETTI

Just start twitching violently and they'll leave you alone lol

This reply is the hottest sh*t ever. I use to hate when i am online having a conversation, and then my mom walks in and cant see my headset so she starts asking me question like i am crazy. Then i point to the headset and she starts to speak even louder.

This is a good idea, but i feel that would be really hardcore and difficult to make. I might be wrong. Still you are onto something here.

The headset makes it even better, much more enjoying especially

Dude gta4 was a dream come true because all i ever wanted was to get online with a bunch of crazy people and star havoc in a huge map. I would get on a server and invite my friend with the full map open, with only snipers and literally hunt each other for hours, it was really intense. The rules were having to blow up a car once in a while to make it possible to find each other (a clue i guess). camping was only allowed for 10 minutes. On week days we only did it in one city, due to lack or real world time to play, but it made the match more intense. I seriously cannot wait to try this in Gta V. rampage_ani.gif

On my laptop, I use headphones presently just to get better volume, I tried stereo buds for Xbox Live, but it's still mono, and I just find communicating via headset the best way to converse with ACTUAL gamers, but nothing beyond that, other then allowing voice communication and STEREO sound from the game in that manner would be a requirement I'd want addressed.

The On Line waiting room to get players required for challenge modes should be similar to RDR, as many agree with me on that being a better way to implement the waiting process, but do more with the concept

Tom Clancy: Endwar used a speech recognition thing for directing your sqauds n' stuff.

It was problematic at best, constantly misshearing what you say, I don't think it's needed anyway though.

You have to wait for Next-Gen consoles then, im pretty sure GTA V wont have this feature and i'm pretty sure GTA V is the last GTA this Gen

I don't have much faith in the current speech recognition technology, at least for now. Just take for example, Siri, created as a voice activated personal assistant for iPhone (meaning designed specifically for speech recognition), and yet look at how much problems it still has. Most probably you'd be shouting in frustration at the game to respond (and when they do, they'd be like what MagneticAvenue described).

Also, you could say I'm a quiet person, but I always like to play my games without having to say anything much. So this new feature basically will just annoy me. confused.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech_recognition

Hmm, well voice recognition software has been in development since the early 1980s and isn't terrible.

Accuracy of speech recognition

As mentioned earlier in this article accuracy of speech recogniton vary in following:

Error Rates Increase as the Vocabulary Size Grows:

e.g. The 10 digits "zero" to "nine" can be recognized essentially perfectly, but vocabulary sizes of 200, 5000 or 100000 may have error rates of 3%, 7% or 45%.

Teach GTAV 200 words and we have an error rate at 3%, teach GTAV an impressive 5000 words (hardly necessary) and it's only 7% erroneous. Totally playable. sh*t I have half retarded friends from college that can understand less lol

And lets remember no headset turned on and its like its not there, so if you don't want to play that game, Homie won't make ya. Maybe you could pick up random women instead of slumpen to the red light district?

I don't know, personally I would tell a ped to give me his money or I kill his family, or start a bar brawl, or get some help from a thug ped in a fire fight (aka human shield) lol Could be some serious kicks in there.

Remember the Disabled have been using speech recognition programs for daily activities for years, so its probably pretty workable at this point from years of development on a shoe string university budget. Bet a hard hitting game developer could bring it home.

Maybe to get an idea what peds can understand would be to walk among them and listen to what they say to each other?

Edited by Ispintechno

HydraulicWaRiOr

This would be an entirely badass new system, but everyone would have to have an entirely different response to a certain action, in my opinion, you would have to have a self-conscious A.I. in order to bring this kind of thing to its true potential, but still it sounds like a good idea and i see nothing wrong with implementing it.

Maybe part of the fail on other games is there is no voice calibration set-up menu? Like you say ten random GTA phrases and the game creates a save file to understand your particular accent, how quick you talk or even pitch and tone. Maybe with a few precursors saved to everyone's data would essentially teach the system for your particular brand of bullsh*t and peds would understand a lot better. I'd go through the 45 second option once for 30 hours of story with enhanced interaction.

It could even teach the AI to best guess if there is emotional response in there.

I think in all fairness if this particular feature wasn't key in any way to achieve goals it could be accepted by all, as some have said they would not use it.

Edited by Ispintechno

stupidest thing i ever heard

You've been on these forums since 2006 and this is the stupidest thing you've ever heard!? biggrin.gif

That's f*cking awesome! turn.gif

Skepticism is the bastard child of Progress friend.

Edited by Ispintechno

i don't want interactive speech with pedestrians, playstation move/webcam or 3D tv. it would just be a way to make people buy it but it would be a load of crap.

ive got a question...who the hell uses the 6 axis motion sensor to control vehicles on gta? lol

That would be a waste of time and money for R*, and the player...Its not an easy thing to do first of all, second of all there would be many errors and glitches, and third of all, with the time it would take to make all that R* could have made a million better features.

JoshGTAfreak

It would be great, but it would be a make or break thing. If it's implemented right, it would be freakin' awesome. But if it's wrong, it would REALLY suck.

This isn't something I'd see myself jumping on, so if they ever do something like this I sure as hell hope it would be optional. I don't want to sit there talking to my video games, it'd just make me feel awkward and silly. I'm very much happy with being able to hit buttons to do my interactions with the game and characters, and I need no more than that.

I don't think it would have to be glitchy, at all. In fact it wouldn't see the light of day if so. I like new tech, including 3D and I buy it. So I guess agree to disagree. confused.gif

As for as feeling silly I guess I'm not that concerned. I'm in my 30s now and don't care, if it's fun I'll do it. If my wife walked in she'd laugh her ass off. I think that would be great lol

Jeeze guys your not beating off in front of your moms. On the flip side I see why you wouldn't want it pushed on you either. And I think that would be key. I'm proposing something for kicks only really. More ways to extend game life. Have hilarious moments.

Beets bowling with Roman.

Edited by Ispintechno

This isn't something I'd see myself jumping on, so if they ever do something like this I sure as hell hope it would be optional. I don't want to sit there talking to my video games, it'd just make me feel awkward and silly. I'm very much happy with being able to hit buttons to do my interactions with the game and characters, and I need no more than that.

that is a good point, it would be good to have as long as it optional.

This would be an entirely badass new system, but everyone would have to have an entirely different response to a certain action, in my opinion, you would have to have a self-conscious A.I. in order to bring this kind of thing to its true potential, but still it sounds like a good idea and i see nothing wrong with implementing it.

Exactly. As mind blowing as it would be to "talk" to pedestrians, this is something that no-one will see implemented in any game for many years to come. It's not just that the game has to recognise your voice, or even that the game has to make grammatical sense of it, the game's AI would have work out what response would make sense, so the pedestrian reply to "What is the time?" isn't the same as the one given to "Go f*ck yourself". Plus, the pedestrian voice actors would have to voice each possible reply.

So in response to the OP's query, yes, this is pure Grade A Columbian pipe dream.

This is next-next-next gen stuff peeps. In 15+ years we might see something similar.

Can't wait cool.gif

Wow, a nerd stating things are not for 'Nerdaphiles' (which he capitalized, no less) anymore. Yeah, I'm not buying it.

GTA used to be for cool kids. Now it's just deviant nerds trying to have sex with hookers and live out their shooting spree fantasies in a game.

No, GTA should not incorporate headsets. Go outside and talk to somebody for God's sake.

Edited by BGModder

Wow, a nerd stating things are not for 'Nerdaphiles' (which he capitalized, no less) anymore. Yeah, I'm not buying it.

GTA used to be for cool kids. Now it's just deviant nerds trying to have sex with hookers and live out their shooting spree fantasies in a game.

No, GTA should not incorporate headsets. Go outside and talk to somebody for God's sake.

Wow, feel the love tounge.gif

Yeah I'm a Retail Manager So I Talk To People All Day Long. wink.gif Nobody is asking you in particular to buy anything cool kid.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had an idea to add to this: what if instead of such a sophisticated, fanciful system, we had VOICE CONTROLS in cars? Things that the game couldn't support till now because of the controller's limitations eg. you say "Dial Packie" and it rings his number, whilst you concentrate on the mayhem. Or "Open Sunroof" to lean up & shoot from it. It would only be on high end cars obviously, but you could upgrade lower-end cars to feature it too.

It's possible this gen if R* work on it.